IGNORED

Patriarchy. Still shit.

JesusFightClub

My bad. I was the one that brought up the whole word debacle- I really did not mean to ignite a shit-storm. I've just always thought the word sounds Dr. Seuss-like and it really throws me for a loop when someone uses it in a serious discussion. I don't really care if you want to use it or not, I'm not the Word Police and I'm not going to crash through you ceiling and kick you if you use it, I just wanted to share my feelings on the word itself, and apparently I accidentally set off a powder keg.

Sorry. That was definitely not my intention here. :(

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I just "said" that. Really. Do you need me to write it again?

WTF does the term over which your undies are all wadded up have to do with some woman's husband being a patriarchal jerk?

Yeah, especially since she only objects to the term because it's a silly internet meme mashup word, and it's nothing to do with defending men, despite the eleventy other threads where CH was the voice of "What about the meeeeeennnnn????"

"Well, don't use it then" seems like a perfectly reasonable response to someone not liking a silly internet word.

My bad. I was the one that brought up the whole word debacle- I really did not mean to ignite a shit-storm. I've just always thought the word sounds Dr. Seuss-like and it really throws me for a loop when someone uses it in a serious discussion. I don't really care if you want to use it or not, I'm not the Word Police and I'm not going to crash through you ceiling and kick you if you use it, I just wanted to share my feelings on the word itself, and apparently I accidentally set off a powder keg.

Sorry. That was definitely not my intention here. :(

Don't blame your self. You didn't start anything. You voiced your opinion and a voiced an agreement. Anything after that is on those who don't like me.

LynnKaboom, you totally did nothing wrong to apologise for. "I feel confused/dislike that expression, can you change it for another?" which is basically what you said, completely polite and valid in my book.

CH has been distinctly less polite BUT IF ANYONE IS ANGRY IT IS BECAUSE WE ALL HATE HER not because she has just been extremely rude. Of course.

I was fine that you don't like that kind of word combo and don't think anyone was annoyed you expressed your preference.

I think everyone probably has words or expressions that bug them. My momma would get very annoyed at the expression "pissed off". She didn't even like "P-O'd" - lol

I think everyone probably has words or expressions that bug them. My momma would get very annoyed at the expression "pissed off". She didn't even like "P-O'd" - lol

LOL!

My mum is tolerant of my swearing ;) but up with the c-word she will not put. That is one word I cannot say in her presence, and I have tried not to use it on the board here.

LOL!

My mum is tolerant of my swearing ;) but up with the c-word she will not put. That is one word I cannot say in her presence, and I have tried not to use it on the board here.

Yeah, I don't use the C-U-Next-Tuesday word, either. Not that I've never thought it of some people, especially some of the more egregious fundie women we've discussed here (Emma, etc.).

I personally hate the word "zit". Don't ask me why, but it makes me cringe. Pimple or blemish is okay. Don't know why :D

LynnKaboom, you totally did nothing wrong to apologise for. "I feel confused/dislike that expression, can you change it for another?" which is basically what you said, completely polite and valid in my book.

CH has been distinctly less polite BUT IF ANYONE IS ANGRY IT IS BECAUSE WE ALL HATE HER not because she has just been extremely rude. Of course.

I was fine that you don't like that kind of word combo and don't think anyone was annoyed you expressed your preference.

I didn't realize that my original statement was rude... I still can't see how it's any more rude than other people who mentioned not liking the word. The some of responses I got were confusing as hell, and not very polite.

Yeah, I don't use the C-U-Next-Tuesday word, either. Not that I've never thought it of some people, especially some of the more egregious fundie women we've discussed here (Emma, etc.).

I personally hate the word "zit". Don't ask me why, but it makes me cringe. Pimple or blemish is okay. Don't

know why :D

Hahaha! Blemish sounds weirder than zit IMO!

In the US you don't say "spot"? *intrigued*

No, not that I know of. My problem with "zit" is irrational, I admit it :D !

Oh! Here for "zit" we would say "spot". Completely agree zit is a horrible word!

My pet peeve is "literally". I will ban that once I become People's Commissar for the Arts (including social media) ;)

From a friend "Terrible holiday, was literally killed by a horse". *headdesk*

LOL!

Yeah, that's pretty much my dad. Once, I accidentally dropped the C-bomb in front of him and he threw his house-shoe at me. :lol: He doesn't care what else I say, just not that particular word.

In case you were wondering, this is pretty much what they look like, only his are dark blue, not plaid. Not very painful, but still surprising to see it flying through the air at you.

EDIT: Derped the BBcode.

I love, love, love mashed-up words. I love "guesstimate." I love "chocaholic." I ADORE "craptacular." And I think "mansplaining" definitely has its use. Lewis Carroll called these "portmanteau" words. Some are old enough that we don't even remember that they are portmanteau words -- like "smog," which is a combination of "smoke" and "fog." I think mashed-up words demonstrate the flexibility and endless creativity of our wonderful language.

I also love swearing, including the "c"-word, though I will admit that I view it as a nuclear option only (and never to someone's face, only when fuming about someone in the privacy of my own home). I am sensitive to the fact that it can be construed as sexist, although I think the liberal use of corresponding words for obnoxious men helps to mitigate the sexism.

Lastly, "spots" are definitely not something you hear in the U.S. to refer to pimples. When I first heard "spots," I thought it was great - so descriptive yet somehow dignified. I'd rather have "spots" than "zits." I like to call my husband's freckles his "spots." (e.g. when hub is rummaging through the fridge, "Oh, look it's a spotted dork rummaging for food in his natural habitat."

I love, love, love mashed-up words. I love "guesstimate." I love "chocaholic." I ADORE "craptacular."

Oh, one of my favorite words IRL is "crapTAStic"!

Guest Anonymous

"zit" was used in the 1980s. I hated it. Though I am so extremely, terribly British that I'd rather not have words for that sort of thing at all at all and pretend that they don't exist... along woth all sorts of other bodily functions and excretions :lol:

Anniec, tell me about it! I love to swear for the purpose of expressing anger, frustration, skepticism or sarcasm. But I can't abide slang words to describe anything to do with bathroom functions or bodily secretions. Or any bathroom humor. Or any discussions of these things whatsoever, other than whatever is necessary for medical discussions, and even then I'm less than thrilled.

Meh. We haven't changed. Lots of us just like weddings and pretty ones. Patriarchy still sucks but I like pretty pictures.

Although some of it is some fundies seem more palpable...like the sanders and ll. (although I thi k they sucks)

I'm here because I'm anti-child abuse and pro-freedom of religion. I personally don't care all that much about the weddings and stuff. The anti-patriarchy stuff... well, I'm still getting over some hang-ups from my past and while I recognize it as bad, I also don't want to go too far in the other direction and end up advocating female supremacy. Because that ends up bad too. Trust me, I know from experience. I believe in a future where everyone is equal- equal pay, equal rights, equality in general.

Also, can I just say that I really, really hate the term mansplaining? It sounds ridiculous. And squooshed-up words in general are kind of a pet peeve of mine (I also hate the word "blogosphere").

This is the stupidest argument against a word I have heard to date. Squished up words are known as portmanteaus and you use them all the time without knowing it...paratrooper, motel, Tanzania!

The thing with the word mansplaining is- I just can't get over the fact that it sounds like a Dr. Seuss or Looney Tunes word to me. I get that it could be a valid concept... I just think it sounds childish and really takes away from the discussion. I just can't take someone seriously if I'm imagining their posts in the Cat in the Hat's voice.

But if you want to use it, I'm not going to stop you. I'm not the Language Police. Although if I may be honest, "male answer syndrome" would be preferable.

That sound like your problem not ours. Honestly I think someone who thinks in a cat in the hat voice has some maturity issues.

Could you just say "I'm hearing you being pedantic and condescending, an I don't like it"?

I find mansplainers see that aggressive when women say it. (I am active in my son's boy scout troop, it has a lot of mansplainers. But they aren't savvy enough to get it when I use that word and direct talk apparently enrages them )

Delurk/

I sort of think that if "mansplaining" evokes a Dr Seuss-like sense to some, that the word has achieved its goal; my feeling is that when a man mansplains, he is pretty much talking down at that level to the woman/women in a precisely Seuss-ian manner! Maybe it's because as someone (Ladypuglover I think?) said elsewhere, I also like the Mel Brooks approach of marginalizing evil through ridicule (although I guess it'll take a lot more than ridicule to get rid of patriarchy).

I think you and emmiedahl are reading an entirely different thread...

I said "it takes away from the actual argument" which is what any made-up word does. It's not my fault people are better at listening to actual words instead of some mash up that sounds like it comes from a 5 year old (or in the case of the poster who mentioned it reminded her of Rugrats, a one year old).

It is not a made up fucking word. That is really the stupidest argument ever. See also: every other portmanteau in the world!

It's one thing to dislike mash up words, but I think it's quite rude to insult the intelligence of those that do use them.

Hey, I think it is dumb to dislike a word because it is a mash up. Seriously...that is how words work.

I dislike zit too...but I don't envision children's book characters saying it in my head, I guess that is my issue with lynnkaboom instead of owning it as her issue she is implying other things.

Archived