IGNORED

Political Memes, Comics, and other Shenanigans, Part 51

GreyhoundFan

image.png.f284cf1f65b8a7f5bfb6e7cb352eb504.png

"Rosalynn"

I recently completed a drive for new subscribers (newspapers and news sites) for my syndication business. Around midnight, one of them on the West Coast emailed asking if I was planning on doing a tribute or memorial cartoon for former First Lady Rosalynn Carter.

In case you haven’t read the news, she died yesterday. You’ll be surprised how many readers don’t believe I ever read the news as I get about 15 links messaged to me daily. On Saturday, a reader sent me a link about Trump and his vermin comment, asking, “Have you heard of this yet?” It was at least three days after I drew a cartoon on it. Anyway…

My new subscribers have to get to know me. The old ones already know I’m weird. They learn about the Easter eggs and hidden objects, the crowd scenes, the Trump caricature (why does his mouth look like a cat’s butt?), and of course, Pizza Rat (that starts with, “Why is there a rat in this cartoon?” and goes to, “Why isn’t Pizza Rat in today’s cartoon?”). And they also have to learn that I’m not like other political cartoonists. They learn that my stuff can get really weird and off the wall. They also have to learn that I’m really not that nice.

They learn that I don’t do a lot of obit cartoons, where the cartoon honors and salutes the deceased. They learn that I don’t like Pearly Gates cartoons. I do them here and there, but I’m not really a fan of them. I like to use a death to make a point. Sometimes, I use them for levity which can be dangerous because there are always people without a sense of humor to yell at me. The biggest danger of obit cartoons is that so many people draw the same bad ideas.

Yesterday, famous and renowned illustrator and personal friend of mine Steve Brodner posted on Facebook, “To cartoonists planning a Rosalynn obit toon, be warned: the competition for the worst is already heating up. You will have to really work on this.” I either won big time or lost by a wide margin with this cartoon. Maybe Steve will let me know.

Back to the editor who asked for a tribute cartoon, I was like, “Yeah, but you’re probably not gonna like it.” I had already decided not to do one and just wait for Jimmy, who’s probably not far behind Rosalynn (I’m not trying to be morbid. He’s 99). But after I got his note, I started to reconsider.

I actually woke up a couple times thinking about what to draw on Rosalynn. After waking up, I decided to let it go. Let’s not take this request. There are plenty of other cartoonists doing sappy happy heaven cartoons on this today. And then this idea hit and I decided to do it. Then I got another idea, which was on Elon Musk and his antisemitism, and I decided to do that instead.

So I drew the Elon cartoon and sent it to my two lovely proofreaders before coloring. Proofer Laura started a conversation about that cartoon and at some point, I showed the rough for this cartoon. I was totally expecting Laura to say, “Egad! You made the right call. Put this in a garbage disposer and never show anyone and stop talking to me.” But no. She replied with an “OMG.” And, “That’s actually really good.”

So I was in a quandary. I think I’m using that word correctly. I need to draw a cartoon with a Thanksgiving theme for my clients tomorrow. But I knew I should do this Rosalynn cartoon first. So where does that put Elon and his antisemitism? I decided I’ll publish that one tonight and do the turkey cartoon tomorrow morning. I’ll just date the Elon cartoon before the turkey cartoon. Yeah, that’ll work.

I guess the moral of this story is, yeah…I’m not good with sweet and sappy obit cartoons and I also ramble a lot.

Update: I just got a reply from the editor who made the request. He likes it!

• Upvote 7

IMG_6467.thumb.jpeg.3d00da1775793b1121c733b4d36834c5.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.097076a561e529b47191b03bc8717167.png

He's just phoning it in at this point when it comes to the bronzer.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Screenshot2023-11-24at10_15_09PM.thumb.png.0efba017c44853ec4e18f34a67880773.png

• Upvote 3

image.png.811595cf8485ece2c81777ac99b80474.png

"Hate Cake"

President Joe Biden is old. We all know it. Even he knows it and joked about it last Monday on his birthday.

Biden posted a photo on Instagram with his cake ablaze and captioned it, “Turns out on your 146th birthday, you run out of space for candles!” Sure, he’s old, but he’s hip enough to be on Instagram which is much cooler than Truth Social, which seems to be a platform catering to crazy uncles screaming at the sky.

The president pardoned turkeys on his birthday and noted it was the 76th year of the tradition and said, “I want you to know I wasn’t there at the first one; I was too young to make it up.”

Donald Trump doesn’t seem to realize he too is old and neither does his supporters. Just how brainwashed is a cultist to believe age doesn’t affect his Dear Leader? That’s a lot of Kool-Aid. A lot of Trumpers are using Biden’s birthday cake as a disqualifier for the presidency because we can’t have a presidential birthday cake that’s a fire hazard, as though three candles less for Trump is safer.

Florida Governor and one of Trump’s primary opponents, Ron DeSantis, has started attacking Trump’s age and has even created a Trump Accident Tracker.

Trump himself mocks Biden’s age even though he’s only three years younger than the guy and makes just as many if not more gaffes than the president. Over the past few weeks, Trump has mixed up Jeb and George W. Bush, has confused Obama for Biden and Hillary Clinton, warned that a second Biden term will start World War TWO, thought he was in South Dakota when he was in Iowa, called Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán “the leader of Turkey,” and thought the nation of Turkey was Thanksgiving dinner. I made one of those up.

President Biden has released details of his health which is something Trump didn’t do during his 2016 campaign or his presidency and isn’t doing now. In fact, there’s still a secret trip to a hospital during the Trump presidency (sic) that still hasn’t been explained. His health exams were reported to us from a sycophant, and his the supposed results of mental exams, which most presidents don’t need, were delivered by Trump himself, saying, “Person, woman, man, camera, TV.” And we know from Trump’s arrest in Atlanta last August that he’ll only lie about his health, as he self-reported during his booking that he was 6-3 and weighed 215 pounds.

I’m currently around 210 and I know I’m not as fat as Donald Trump.

If anyone believes Donald Trump is healthier and more vigorous than President Joe Biden, then they’re probably also dumb enough to vote for Trump.

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic