IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 9

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

My favorite thing in Rome is that they keep finding more ruins by accident. Someone will decide to do some maintenance in their basement and stumble upon a 2200 year old ruin. 

Yes! When we were in Italy, we went to a pizzeria with an attached garden, and a big section of the garden was blocked off. The owner told us they were doing some work in the garden and stumbled across ruins. It turns out those ruins may have been the house Julius Caesar was born in! We were amazed. But the owner was just annoyed because he said people are hesitant to dig or do any work for fear of finding ruins. He said once you find ruins you have to turn it over to the city for them to come do an investigation etc. And that it’s a big headache for them, actually! It was quite interesting to see how different our perspectives of the situation were, lol   

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Keys said:

Yes! When we were in Italy, we went to a pizzeria with an attached garden, and a big section of the garden was blocked off. The owner told us they were doing some work in the garden and stumbled across ruins. It turns out those ruins may have been the house Julius Caesar was born in! We were amazed. But the owner was just annoyed because he said people are hesitant to dig or do any work for fear of finding ruins. He said once you find ruins you have to turn it over to the city for them to come do an investigation etc. And that it’s a big headache for them, actually! It was quite interesting to see how different our perspectives of the situation were, lol   

I've been watching old episodes of Grand Designs and the home builders absolutely dread finding anything historical while digging out foundations/basements. It adds on months to the building schedules.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Yeah, here in Berlin our building was built in 1909 and no one would consider that old. It’s not new either, but kind of middle aged, I guess. 

Umm… a house built in 1909 in Berlin is typically called “Altbau”, which literally translates into “old building”. So yes, it’s definitely considered an old house. Not ancient, as in “tourists go there because it’s so old”, but definitely an old house.

How durable houses are very much depends on how they are built. There are houses from the 50s that people will buy only for the value of the building lot and demolish them to build something new. And there are beautiful, sturdy “Altbau” buildings where people will gladly invest into renovations.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Umm… a house built in 1909 in Berlin is typically called “Altbau”, which literally translates into “old building”. So yes, it’s definitely considered an old house. Not ancient, as in “tourists go there because it’s so old”, but definitely an old house.

Haha yes, it is called Altbau, but I guess I never took that very literally.  More like the equivalent of “pre-war” in the New York housing market. I guess I meant it’s not unusually old, since there are tons of buildings from that time. No one would ever say something like “oh wow, that’s really old” about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

There is also a difference in really old from a community/historical perspective and really old for, a homeowner perspective. My house is not old from a historical perspective but as the person who has to fix the plumbing and deal with the insulation, etc. it is old. 

• Upvote 4

My husband and I went to Greece in 2015 for a belated Honeymoon and he was so so excited.  His grandmother told him she was taking a life insurance policy out on him because we were going to get beheaded by ISIS.  We're still here so I guess the joke was on her.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My husband and I went to Greece in 2015 for a belated Honeymoon and he was so so excited.  His grandmother told him she was taking a life insurance policy out on him because we were going to get beheaded by ISIS.  We're still here so I guess the joke was on her.

My mom warned me about ISIS in 2014 because we went to Hawaii for a babymoon. Yes, Hawaii, famous ISIS stronghold🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

• 3 weeks later...

Josie went to the doctor yesterday and did a pregnancy update on IG. Baby is doing good. Healthy and big. They are measuring in the 87th percentile.. Baby is much bigger than her daughters were at this point, I guess. Said that she was switched from a regular OB to a high risk OB and will be going to just the high risk one for the rest of her pregnancy. Said she may explain why  eventually, but as of now, it seems like her pregnancy is going good.

ETA: I forgot the part about gestational diabetes. I guess a baby being on the big side can be a sign of that, and she will most likely have to be tested for it. 

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, dawn9476 said:

Josie went to the doctor yesterday and did a pregnancy update on IG. Baby is doing good. Healthy and big. They are measuring in the 87th percentile.. Baby is much bigger than her daughters were at this point, I guess. Said that she was switched from a regular OB to a high risk OB and will be going to just the high risk one for the rest of her pregnancy. Said she may explain why  eventually, but as of now, it seems like her pregnancy is going good.

ETA: I forgot the part about gestational diabetes. I guess a baby being on the big side can be a sign of that, and she will most likely have to be tested for it. 

Everyone does the one hour GD test. Maybe she passed it but now the dr wants her to do the 3 hour one. I did the one hour one and thought I was going to throw up. That drink upset my stomach. But I still passed and didn’t have to do the 3 hour test. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/11/2023 at 12:35 AM, Kiki03910 said:

The first time a guy did that to me, I'd ask if he wanted his hand broken. Nasty. My bf isn't above the occasional ass grab, but that's at home lol.

Grabbing my butt in public was one of the (many!!!) reasons I dumped someone years ago. He refused to believe I truly didn't like it!

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 4
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Everyone does the one hour GD test. Maybe she passed it but now the dr wants her to do the 3 hour one. I did the one hour one and thought I was going to throw up. That drink upset my stomach. But I still passed and didn’t have to do the 3 hour test. 

She's 20 weeks now so they are going to do the glucose test early. She really thinks this baby will be 12 lbs. They will not let the baby get to 12 lbs without inducing. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, gobucks said:

She's 20 weeks now so they are going to do the glucose test early. She really thinks this baby will be 12 lbs. They will not let the baby get to 12 lbs without inducing. 

It’s quite rare for a baby to get that big. I’m guessing she’s having a boy. And stats show subsequent babies tend to be bigger than the first. So I’m guessing it’s bigger because of those two things. Plus it’s pretty hard to predict exact weights for babies. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting. My most recently pregnant friend has had GD with all three of her pregnancies and she was never sent to a high risk ob. I'm curious what else is going on. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Interesting. My most recently pregnant friend has had GD with all three of her pregnancies and she was never sent to a high risk ob. I'm curious what else is going on. 

IIRC she has some sort of blood disorder that will/could impact her and/or the baby. Something with potential greater risk each pregnancy. Not the same blood clotting one they all seem to have, and not the common RH incompatibility issue. I’m sure the details of the problems from her last birth are in here somewhere, that’s just my vague recollection. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

10 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

IIRC she has some sort of blood disorder that will/could impact her and/or the baby. Something with potential greater risk each pregnancy. Not the same blood clotting one they all seem to have, and not the common RH incompatibility issue. I’m sure the details of the problems from her last birth are in here somewhere, that’s just my vague recollection. 

She also has the blood clotting disorder on top of the latest wrinkle. I can see why she has to go to a high-risk OB.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

She has specific antibodies in her blood that can attack the baby’s blood cells and cause profound fetal anemia. These are called “non-RhD red blood cell antibodies”. It requires very close monitoring with lots of blood work to determine the antibody concentration levels in the maternal blood as pregnancy progresses, and frequent specialized ultrasounds to look for signs of fetal anemia. Sometimes it can be so severe that a blood transfusion has to be given to the baby while in utero. 

(I work in the field and this is what I gather from the bits and pieces she has disclosed about her pregnancies)

• Thank You 25

I wonder when they’ll do a sex announcement. They usually announce the name at the same time, right? I hope they get their boy and decide their family is complete.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

I wonder when they’ll do a sex announcement. They usually announce the name at the same time, right? I hope they get their boy and decide their family is complete.  

Weren't they going to keep the gender a secret this time?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, gobucks said:

Did she really say she’s afraid this baby will be 12 lbs or was that hyperbole? Because 87th percentile is nowhere near 12 pounds. That’d be like 99.9th percentile. Not to mention that size estimates via ultrasound are notoriously unreliable. I’m gonna assume this baby will be slightly larger than her previous babies, but probably still below the 50th percentile at birth. Those Bates grand babies have all been on the small side so far, and I highly doubt that’s going to change now. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

Did she really say she’s afraid this baby will be 12 lbs or was that hyperbole? Because 87th percentile is nowhere near 12 pounds. That’d be like 99.9th percentile. Not to mention that size estimates via ultrasound are notoriously unreliable.

Yes! Our kid was measured fairly big in ultra sounds (not huge, but definitely like 70th-80th percentile). Then he was born full term and pretty much exactly on the 50th percentile for all his measurements. And I agree, 12 pounds would be huge, and even if it was going to be that big, I doubt they’d already know that now if she’s only around 20 weeks. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Giraffe said:

She goes to the high risk OB  because of her clotting disorder but from personal experience, the high-risk OB will be more cautious and will suggest more testing than a regular OB because  you are already in a situation where things can go wrong fast, even if what you are testing for isn’t why you are with the OB 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, JillyO said:

Did she really say she’s afraid this baby will be 12 lbs or was that hyperbole? Because 87th percentile is nowhere near 12 pounds. That’d be like 99.9th percentile. Not to mention that size estimates via ultrasound are notoriously unreliable. I’m gonna assume this baby will be slightly larger than her previous babies, but probably still below the 50th percentile at birth. Those Bates grand babies have all been on the small side so far, and I highly doubt that’s going to change now. 

She said the baby was twice as big as the girls at this point in the pregnancy.. and they were 6 lbs at birth.. so she said 12 lbs at birth for this one. I don't think she was exaggerating. They decided to be "team green" this time and wait until the birth to find out the "ginder". She said that is difficult waiting to find out with the more frequent scans at the high risk OB but so far, they still don't know the "ginder". 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I would think they're more likely to inadvertently find out baby's sex because of all the scans. It'd be funny if they end up posting "we're aooo sad to find out ahead of time!!"

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 2

She had other problems towards the end of her last pregnancy. It wasn't just the clotting disorder. She and Kelton even said that they may not end up having another kid because it could be more dangerous the next time. i guess as long as she stays under the supervision of the high risk OB I am assuming she will be fine. I  mean, she is going to see them every two weeks.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1