IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 9

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kelton is very lucky to have that uncle. 

He is. And he himself has said that. Kelton is definitely questionable in certain area (politics, his creepy post about Willow, etc) but I do think he has a far better work ethic than any of his BILs and he is also seems to acknowledge the luck and connections that went into his success. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

We must be the luckiest people on the planet. We are in our 8th home and have never needed to hire a plumber (TBTG). Now Mr SP is very handy (and thrifty). :)

49 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

He is. And he himself has said that. Kelton is definitely questionable in certain area (politics, his creepy post about Willow, etc) but I do think he has a far better work ethic than any of his BILs and he is also seems to acknowledge the luck and connections that went into his success. 

I don’t understand why he loves to grab ass in pictures (the wedding one was the worst). Does he not realize that Josie posts those on SM? I would absolutely hate someone pawing me like that.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Does Bobby currently work with Kelton? I would think plumbing would be more lucrative than preaching, so for that alone if I was Carlin I would prefer Bobby was in plumbing. I always contend when people have a valuable trade like plumbing they can provide their resources for a discounted fee, or for the cost of parts to their church, places their family volunteers, ministries they support, local people in need of their services. There are many ways to serve a community. 

• Upvote 6

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kelton is very lucky to have that uncle. 

Once, at our former church, I attended a religious discussion group. One of the attendees mentioned during a discussion that his aunt and uncle had paid for both his undergrad and MEDICAL school tuition. This gentleman was shocked that we all commented how lucky he was and how generous his aunt and uncle were. 

My FIL was gifted a family home from his aunt and uncle. This home was in San Francisco. Yep, that generosity definitely changed the trajectory of his life.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Once, at our former church, I attended a religious discussion group. One of the attendees mentioned during a discussion that his aunt and uncle had paid for both his undergrad and MEDICAL school tuition. This gentleman was shocked that we all commented how lucky he was and how generous his aunt and uncle were. 

My FIL was gifted a family home from his aunt and uncle. This home was in San Francisco. Yep, that generosity definitely changed the trajectory of his life.

It sounds like these people live in an Austen or Brontë novel. I do actually have an aunt and uncle with plenty of money. But they have kids. And those kids are the ones having all their college paid for, not me. Lol. My family doesn’t do the “child free by choice” thing. All my aunts and uncles have kids. And all my married cousins have kids. We are a prolific bunch. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

Does Bobby currently work with Kelton? I would think plumbing would be more lucrative than preaching, so for that alone if I was Carlin I would prefer Bobby was in plumbing. I always contend when people have a valuable trade like plumbing they can provide their resources for a discounted fee, or for the cost of parts to their church, places their family volunteers, ministries they support, local people in need of their services. There are many ways to serve a community. 

When I used their services in 2020 Bobby was still there. He doesn't actually do any of the plumbing? He's strictly the office guy. I live several hours away from my Tennessee rental properties and needed someone who could beat me there to fix the problem or at least turn off the water. Bobby (who identified himself as Robert on the phone) did call me back about scheduling someone to turn off the water and arrange payment. I was so worried about what I was going to do that it sort of hit me after that I recognized his voice. 

Bobby is married to Tori not Carlin. And I'm sure Bobby is compensated well given that he and Tori were able to buy a home.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5

3 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Bobby is married to Tori not Carlin. And I'm sure Bobby is compensated well given that he and Tori were able to buy a home.

I meant Tori, but wrote Carlin, sorry Bates ladies! Thanks for sharing your experience! 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

Bobby does work with Kelton. He used to be office manager but he has a new, fancier title. Kelton referred to him in the podcast as his right hand and commented that he takes on a lot of responsibility. I bet he gets a decent salary. 

43 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It sounds like these people live in an Austen or Brontë novel. I do actually have an aunt and uncle with plenty of money. But they have kids. And those kids are the ones having all their college paid for, not me. Lol. My family doesn’t do the “child free by choice” thing. All my aunts and uncles have kids. And all my married cousins have kids. We are a prolific bunch. 

My grandfather had a brother who could not have children and a sister who never married. Both were quite frugal and amassed a decent amount of money and when they died, it went to their nieces and nephews and great-nieces and nephews. There were a lot of each, so it wasn’t a ton of money (although for the 80s/90s it was a good amount). I was quite young and my parents invested my inheritance for me to use later (I did end up using some of it to help with college).

i don’t know if they would have directly paid for any of their nieces or nephews but none of them were in that position, all the siblings were quite financially comfortable. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

We must be the luckiest people on the planet. We are in our 8th home and have never needed to hire a plumber (TBTG). Now Mr SP is very handy (and thrifty). :)

Our house is super old. We never needed a plumber before this house but it is an 80 year old house and the pipes are a bit of a nightmare as they have been replaced in bits and pieces over the decades. I think we have called the plumber 5 times in the 5 years we’ve lived her? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 10/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, 0 kids n not countin said:

How long do the curls last?  Seems like a lot of work having to do it in the car, then again on the plane.  If the person next to me on the plane was fussing with their hair I'd be grossed out!🙈

I tried these kind of curlers once. My hair looked amazing for about 30 minutes. I know my hair is never succesfull in keeping curls but I can't imagine they hold a whole day for someone else. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

17 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

When I used their services in 2020 Bobby was still there. He doesn't actually do any of the plumbing? He's strictly the office guy. I live several hours away from my Tennessee rental properties and needed someone who could beat me there to fix the problem or at least turn off the water. Bobby (who identified himself as Robert on the phone) did call me back about scheduling someone to turn off the water and arrange payment. I was so worried about what I was going to do that it sort of hit me after that I recognized his voice. 

Did they do a good job? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Did they do a good job? 

Yes, they came over and cut off the water at the street before I got there. Once I was in town they sent someone over who (as described above) followed all the COVID protocols and fixed the issue. He also made a few recommendations where to look to get some of the damages fixed. It was expensive, but other places that bothered to get back to me had quoted me double the price in some cases or refused to do anything until I was on site. I was sent an email with links to videos about what to do about damages from such leaks/floods.

I even got a phone call asking me about my experience using their services. It was a human asking questions not just one of those online surveys. I don't like Kelton's religious or political beliefs, can't stand that he and Josie support so called crisis pregnancy centers, etc. But I will say he owns and runs a good business. Compared to Chad and Gil (family members called and messaged them when getting estimates for jobs at their own homes), Kelton was responsive, sent a professional, nobody tried to evangelize to me, and didn't overcharge. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Yes, they came over and cut off the water at the street before I got there. Once I was in town they sent someone over who (as described above) followed all the COVID protocols and fixed the issue. He also made a few recommendations where to look to get some of the damages fixed. It was expensive, but other places that bothered to get back to me had quoted me double the price in some cases or refused to do anything until I was on site. I was sent an email with links to videos about what to do about damages from such leaks/floods.

I even got a phone call asking me about my experience using their services. It was a human asking questions not just one of those online surveys. I don't like Kelton's religious or political beliefs, can't stand that he and Josie support so called crisis pregnancy centers, etc. But I will say he owns and runs a good business. Compared to Chad and Gil (family members called and messaged them when getting estimates for jobs at their own homes), Kelton was responsive, sent a professional, nobody tried to evangelize to me, and didn't overcharge. 

did Gil and Chad have bad customer service and try to evangelize.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

did Gil and Chad have bad customer service and try to evangelize.

Chad didn't respond at all. Gil and the tree service were (still are?) outsourcing to other companies. The other company quoted really high prices without some of the key things you would want (stump grinding, clean up, etc.). There were also questions about insurance and liability for the tree one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

On 10/9/2023 at 6:05 PM, SassyPants said:

I don’t understand why he loves to grab ass in pictures (the wedding one was the worst). Does he not realize that Josie posts those on SM? I would absolutely hate someone pawing me like that.

The first time a guy did that to me, I'd ask if he wanted his hand broken. Nasty. My bf isn't above the occasional ass grab, but that's at home lol.

• Upvote 2

On 10/10/2023 at 3:06 AM, CanadianMamam said:

Our house is super old. We never needed a plumber before this house but it is an 80 year old house and the pipes are a bit of a nightmare as they have been replaced in bits and pieces over the decades. I think we have called the plumber 5 times in the 5 years we’ve lived her? 

It’s so interesting to me what people consider old for houses. It really seems like there’s no common standard. I grew up in a town/region that was only settled by non-Native people relatively recently, in the 1880s. We lived in houses from around 1900 and in the late 90s those were just starting to be considered old. But I’ve recently heard people saying houses from the 50s are really old. 

I guess I consider the “life expectancy” of a house to be at least 3-4 times that of a person, so less than 100 years has never seemed “old” to me. But maybe that’s cause I’ve always rented and never been responsible for repairs, lol. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

It’s so interesting to me what people consider old for houses. It really seems like there’s no common standard. I grew up in a town/region that was only settled by non-Native people relatively recently, in the 1880s. We lived in houses from around 1900 and in the late 90s those were just starting to be considered old. But I’ve recently heard people saying houses from the 50s are really old. 

I guess I consider the “life expectancy” of a house to be at least 3-4 times that of a person, so less than 100 years has never seemed “old” to me. But maybe that’s cause I’ve always rented and never been responsible for repairs, lol. 

My childhood home was built in 1900 My great grandparent’s farm house in the 1850s. But they had been extensively renovated by my childhood, so they were old but didn’t have old house problems. 

houses can be very old but they do start to have issues. After 20-25 years, things need to start being replaced and fixed and as time goes on, there are more issues. My house still has a lot of its original 1940s plumbing, which is not great. 

building standards change regularly and the older a house is, the more likely there is going to be some issues. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

My childhood home was built in 1900 My great grandparent’s farm house in the 1850s. But they had been extensively renovated by my childhood, so they were old but didn’t have old house problems. 

houses can be very old but they do start to have issues. After 20-25 years, things need to start being replaced and fixed and as time goes on, there are more issues. My house still has a lot of its original 1940s plumbing, which is not great. 

building standards change regularly and the older a house is, the more likely there is going to be some issues. 

When I was in high school, my family lived in an 1860s Cape. My grandparents used to live less than a mile from the oldest (known) house in Maine. I can't count how many times we drove by that house!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntire_Garrison_House

• Upvote 3

At uni I lived in a building from 1700. Ages and timelines in history  are very different over here 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, byzant said:

At uni I lived in a building from 1700. Ages and timelines in history  are very different over here 

Definitely. In the US, we are amazed by a home built in the 1820s. People in the UK are like, that’s not old…

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Yeah, here in Berlin our building was built in 1909 and no one would consider that old. It’s not new either, but kind of middle aged, I guess. 

In Europe I’d consider buildings old if they were built before modern urban planning. Our neighborhood is a planned development with relatively wide streets on a grid pattern, not a jumble of houses built however people saw fit with crooked streets you could spit across.

I think to call something super old here it would have to be from before the Reformation. And then ancient would be before Charlemagne. On vacation in Italy last week we walked by an apartment building from the 12th century, which is impressively old, but it still wasn’t a tourist attraction or anything. 

I’m currently reading a historical novel set in 19th century San Francisco, and it’s really interesting to learn about how it became a city after the 1849 gold rush. I was telling my wife about it, and she was surprised that it’s such a recently founded city. I was like, “No, that’s old!” 😂

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

On vacation in Italy last week we walked by an apartment building from the 12th century, which is impressively old, but it still wasn’t a tourist attraction or anything. 

Italy is a whole different animal again, even by European standards. They just have more Roman ruins than anyone can possibly handle, I guess. When we explored Rome on our vacation, we came across so many ancient buildings, almost fully intact. In Germany, those would be huge tourist attractions, probably with their own museum attached. Whereas in Rome, they're just part of the landscape, without so much as a fence around them or a ticket booth. They just focus on the really big stuff, like the Forum and the Colosseum, and everything else is just normal life. 😂

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

My favorite thing in Rome is that they keep finding more ruins by accident. Someone will decide to do some maintenance in their basement and stumble upon a 2200 year old ruin. 

• Upvote 8

I love Italy, everything about it. Among my favorites is having protected ruins within the middle of city neighborhoods in Rome.

• Upvote 4