IGNORED

Maxwell 58: What Will Anna Do? Plus Anna Marie Gives Birth

Coconut Flan

21 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Besides, I doubt fellow ABC students are too worldly! They all go to the same school.

That has nothing to do with anything.  It is naive to think that just because they go to the same school, that some of them aren't worldly in Steve's eyes.  It is also naive to think that they are all the same.  I know someone whose child went into bible college her daughter, and became a male after graduation.  Changed his name, identifies as male, and his mother disowned him.  

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 3

I agree that there can be a variety of people at ABC. Some went to public school, some went to Christian high school, some attended homeschool coops, and some were homeschooled like the Maxwells. Steve probably hates that there’s a variety of Christians there. It’s great for Mary and Anna to meet different Christians who grew up differently from the Maxwell way. 

• Upvote 11

The last two videos on this person's channel...  A clip from Mary's wedding is at the end of the first video, and Anna is throughout the second video.  I really hope she returns to school.  It looks like she had a blast.  https://www.youtube.com/@jordanjoyce5043/videos  And the kids like to dance!  Nah, not worldly in Steve's eyes lol  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

The last two videos on this person's channel...  A clip from Mary's wedding is at the end of the first video, and Anna is throughout the second video.  I really hope she returns to school.  It looks like she had a blast.  https://www.youtube.com/@jordanjoyce5043/videos  And the kids like to dance!  Nah, not worldly in Steve's eyes lol  

FYI if the videos aren't always in the same order--the Mary's wedding clip is at the end of "Out West mess"

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Clearly, Anna & Mary have had a great time at ABC. They have repeatedly made the school's honors lists in their academic work and they appear to have a wide group of male & female FRIENDS with whom they do a lot, at ABC and elsewhere. By most peopleʻs standards, Christian or not, they are successful young adults. 

Considering that Steve literally spent the better part of two decades boasting about himself and his godly system for ensuring that kids become successful adults, youʻd think he'd be showcasing his two younger daughters, or at least bragging about their accomplishments. But no, itʻs crickets. He canʻt even bring himself to highlight Sarahʻs current life even though it's on the general trajectory that he has always pushed for women in his stupid system. He's awful.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 7

Here is a screen shot of the YouTube video of the wedding (I cropped it from full screen)

Screenshot_20230713-173444_YouTube.thumb.jpg.934f0ca64e1affc7d5c8d98f2ca6fb48.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 21

On 7/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, hoipolloi said:

Considering that Steve literally spent the better part of two decades boasting about himself and his godly system for ensuring that kids become successful adults, youʻd think he'd be showcasing his two younger daughters, or at least bragging about their accomplishments. But no, itʻs crickets. He canʻt even bring himself to highlight Sarahʻs current life even though it's on the general trajectory that he has always pushed for women in his stupid system. He's awful.

Yes, but Steve's system was that everybody be self-taught. Going by Anna's "Am I Going To College?" essay in 2010, they were worried about worldly influences, but I think there was a certain measure of pride in the boys teaching themselves how to do IT, construction, photography, etc. and becoming "wage earning adults." Anna's essay also mentioned how college wouldn't help her become a wife and mother, and how the cost of college would impede her from reaching that goal. So here she is going to college, paying a lot of money for it, she's 30 and doesn't have a husband or kids - not exactly checking all of Steve's success boxes. 

As for Sarah, yes, she has married and now she's a stay-at-home wife as evidenced by her LinkedIn or whatever it was people found after the wedding, but she didn't marry until 40 and found her husband online. Again, not exactly the "success story" for daughters that Steve would tout. Especially the finding her husband online. Because, you know, the husband was supposed to just show up on Steve's doorstep for him to approve, she was supposed to live in her childhood bedroom until Steve transferred her authority to her husband, etc. Does it count as "keeping your children's hearts" if your 39-year-old daughter moves out on her own and finds a husband online?

• Upvote 25
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

Does it count as "keeping your children's hearts" if your 39-year-old daughter moves out on her own and finds a husband online?

It doesn't count as keeping your children's hearts, but it does count as stifling/ stunting/ oppressing/ obliterating your children's life so that your daughter has to move out at 39 in order to have a life and find a husband online.

I firmly believe that it was always always always Stevehovah's plan that his daughters wither at home and never marry -- the better to serve him and take care of the aging parents.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I firmly believe that it was always always always Stevehovah's plan that his daughters wither at home and never marry -- the better to serve him and take care of the aging parents.

Exactly this.  And Steve is still angry about it.  He didn't spend all those years paying for the girls' clothes and food to have them leave right before he and Teri needed them.  He didn't invest those years of lectures teaching and training to have them actually end up with lives of their own.  Sure, his sons needed to leave to head their own families but Steve still wanted live-in cooks, maid service, office help, and people to babysit his grandchildren when they visit.  This hasn't turned out at all the way he wanted.

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Xan said:

This hasn't turned out at all the way he wanted.

Thank Rufus for that.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 16

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I firmly believe that it was always always always Stevehovah's plan that his daughters wither at home and never marry

Sort of a distorted inverse of the "heir and spare" saying -- have a daughter and a back up available to look after you in your old age.

6 hours ago, Bethy said:

Because, you know, the husband was supposed to just show up on Steve's doorstep for him to approve, she was supposed to live in her childhood bedroom until Steve transferred her authority to her husband, etc.

According to Teri, men did show up on their doorstep repeatedly but it sounds like they all got the boot from Steve:

Through the years, there were young men who came who were interested in Sarah. But with each one, time proved they weren’t right. 

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 7

On 7/12/2023 at 9:06 PM, theologygeek said:

That has nothing to do with anything.  It is naive to think that just because they go to the same school, that some of them aren't worldly in Steve's eyes.  It is also naive to think that they are all the same.

You are absolutely correct on this. I attended a fundie-lite college which, in the 90s, was pretty close to where ABC is in terms of beliefs and policies. There were absolutely students who were there because they felt legitimately called to ministry, wanted to follow God, and literally wanted to obey every rule. Then there were kids who were there because of other reasons...reasons like the parents would only pay for college if the kid went to a Christian school, the kid was on a "bad path" and the parents thought attending a conservative school would "fix" them, a boyfriend/girlfriend was going there, grandparents lived in town and the kid could live with them and save room and board, the parents were bound and determined the child would follow in their footsteps and attend their alma mater, the list goes on. There was room swapping after curfew, same-sex couples, girls that got pregnant and managed to hide it, alcohol and drug use - all of it against the written rules, And I'm sure, for all the pretty pictures they show on ABC's social media with students studying, praying, etc., there's a dark underbelly somewhere. Now throw in the fact that Steve thinks it's "worldly" to own a television, listen to music that isn't bluegrass, and read books...of course the girls have been rubbing elbows with people Steve would find problematic in their ideology.

• Upvote 17

On 7/11/2023 at 9:22 PM, MamaJunebug said:

PLEASE, children, keep your eyes on faraway places

I agree but only if they go to those places to learn and do new things, not to proselytize their fundamentalist beliefs. As potential missionaries I doubt they will do anything but try and spread their religion. So, perhaps best if they stay in Kansas and keep preaching to their own congregation. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, browngrl said:

I agree but only if they go to those places to learn and do new things, not to proselytize their fundamentalist beliefs. As potential missionaries I doubt they will do anything but try and spread their religion. So, perhaps best if they stay in Kansas and keep preaching to their own congregation. 

Agreed. I really hope “God” changes their minds over the next two years and they decide against international missions. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

ETA 2: I am a doofus who is apparently over a month late, lol - my bad. But I am so here for this whole showing of shoulders and backs and color and knowing how far they've come since the days of weeping for Nathan.

I am HERE for the fact that Mary has the barest hint of cap sleeves on that dress, and is that Anna in a V NECK in the door frame? 

ETA: YES! IT IS! Suck it so hard, Steve. 

image.png.dbb30ed48ef0ce1991bc6428aa79d8e7.png

http://www.chelsyrenee.com/2023/06/mary-sams-wedding-weekend-celebrations.html

Edited by mystikchick17
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

Such a great post on Mary's and Sam's joyous day. Chelsy knows how to throw fun parties.

Did you all notice she begins it with "And just like that....." which is the title of the Sex and the City 2.0 out now.

Coincidence .... or .... ????  Inquiring minds want to know. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 1

At the end of Chelsy’s wedding post she went on to talk about how they “celebrated” Memorial Day and those who died. It’s so odd to me how some of the fundy families seem to have this weird almost romanticized awe for those who served in the military while seeming to never have any of their children sign up for the military. 

(I know there are plenty who do, too, but I’m thinking of the Maxwells and pretty much all of Vision Forum back in the day. One of the grown children still does the creepy posts about  WWII)

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

At the end of Chelsy’s wedding post she went on to talk about how they “celebrated” Memorial Day and those who died. It’s so odd to me how some of the fundy families seem to have this weird almost romanticized awe for those who served in the military while seeming to never have any of their children sign up for the military. 

(I know there are plenty who do, too, but I’m thinking of the Maxwells and pretty much all of Vision Forum back in the day. One of the grown children still does the creepy posts about  WWII)

Chelsy comes from Amish/mennonite folks and they are notorious pacifists. You will never find an Amish person who enlists in the army. They basically have to leave being Amish to go into the military. 

• Upvote 14

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Chelsy comes from Amish/mennonite folks and they are notorious pacifists. You will never find an Amish person who enlists in the army. They basically have to leave being Amish to go into the military. 

So they’ll proudly take the colonialism that’s come from it but won’t offer themselves up as sacrifices themselves. Lovely. 🙄

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 11

Sarah and Kory helped at Trinity Baptist vacation bible school.There are lots of photos which can be seen via the church facebook page.The theme was wildlife and the school looked extremely well run and fun for the kids - wild animals , pet animals to touch and hold. Sarah looks happy and content

20230720_145110.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 15

Sarah looks so happy. I’ll bet she can hardly believe the changes that happened, and punches herself occasionally. I hope she realizes that it was her old life that was so standout. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I know there are plenty who do, too, but I’m thinking of the Maxwells and pretty much all of Vision Forum back in the day. (One of the grown children still does the creepy posts about  WWII)

That's Operation Meatball, a WWII cosplay fetish extravaganza oriented to surviving WWII vets. There are so few surviving WWII veterans that they've pivoted to Korean and Vietnam vets.  Personally, I don't think Viet Nam vets (my generation) will appreciate whatever they're offering; hard to say. 

The thing now is taking little kids on a tour of European WWII cemeteries and memorials called Bridge to History.  You can sponsor a child to do this tour!!!

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • WTF 3

2 hours ago, Howl said:

That's Operation Meatball, a WWII cosplay fetish extravaganza oriented to surviving WWII vets. There are so few surviving WWII veterans that they've pivoted to Korean and Vietnam vets.  Personally, I don't think Viet Nam vets (my generation) will appreciate whatever they're offering; hard to say. 

The thing now is taking little kids on a tour of European WWII cemeteries and memorials called Bridge to History.  You can sponsor a child to do this tour!!!

Operation Meatball? Bwahahahaha! Anyone know how it got named that?

• Upvote 2

This is trivial but ...

As part of Sarah's happy joyous new life, I hope she makes hearty spicy meat burritos with all the fixings -- lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc. etc.  -- anything she and Kory desire.  Tacos too.

Beans begone!!!!!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Operation Meatball? Bwahahahaha! Anyone know how it got named that?

Brace yourself.  I looked that one up ages ago and the answer isn't pretty.  But typical of the Phillips family assholery and general ignorance. 

"Meatball" is a very pejorative term for the Japanese flag.  Japanese soldiers were given personal good luck flags with messages written on them by loved ones.  Allied soldiers  collected them as trophies.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Luck_Flag

Back to getting up to date on the Maxwells now.  I haven't checked in on them for ages.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 10

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 58: What Will Anna Do? Plus Anna Marie Gives Birth
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic