IGNORED

William & Kate 3

samurai_sarah

A friend of mine  had a hysterectomy about a year ago and had 8 nights in the hospital, 3 nights at home and then back in the hospital for another 4 nights after having some additional complications. She went in to surgery expecting to be tore 5-7 nights.  She has taken most of the year to recover fully. She is a seemingly healthy woman, mid 40s and very active and fit. I don’t know all the details of my friends condition, besides it was not concer.  We are in the US and obviously not royalty. It doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility for it to be some type of hysterectomy though it could be any number of things. 

Your friend seems like an abnormality though. The average hysterectomy doesn’t take that long in a hospital for recovery. Plus, it’s clear that this wasn’t “planned” in the sense that she’s going to have surgery in two months. Something clearly happened suddenly for this to occur and I really don’t think it’s womb related, personally. Nothing points to that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Agreed. It doesn't seem like she would have been able to hide ongoing colitis, etc.  This smacks more of they discovered something pretty large (or growing at a fast rate), and it had to come out immediately before it got bigger or turned malignant. 

...I have zero medical background for reference...

• Upvote 2

I know someone who had a colectomy for ulcerative colitis. They made a pouch out of his small intestestine to work as a compensatory large intestine. His life has improved so much.

However, these were two seperate procedures and he was treated with large doses of cortisone in the year(s) leading up to the surgery.

While we can‘t know if Kate has really been as healthy lately as they made it seem, she sure never looked like she was on lots of cortisone.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 2

Kate would be able to hide a lot of medical conditions. The woman is seen a handful times a month (if that) in carefully curated posts and pictures. We would have zero idea if she is suffering from Crohns or IBS or anything else bowel related. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, viii said:

Kate would be able to hide a lot of medical conditions. The woman is seen a handful times a month (if that) in carefully curated posts and pictures. We would have zero idea if she is suffering from Crohns or IBS or anything else bowel related. 

Should we have an idea? Is she supposed to wear a sandwich sign declaring her relative wellness that day? Is she supposed to announce her bathroom usage? Maybe tally it on the back of the sign??She’s not even in the Line of Succession. Her health is actually no one’s business. 

While her engagement numbers were down last year, she still averaged over 10 per month —more actually if you take into account the annual break time all royals take in August. And it’s possible that whatever the issue leading to this surgery is, that it caused her to have a slower schedule. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Lmaoooooo girl I was responding to other posters. I don’t want to know about Kate’s health, bowels or otherwise. None of my business. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Would she really be able to hide something as unpredictable as colitis? She goes to an event, a walkabout, or a state dinner, and suddenly feels unwell, etc.? 

That said, I've seen some videos of doctors speculating that she had a planned surgery (appendectomy, etc.), and "something went wrong", like an abscess was discovered, etc., and that caused the laparotomy, lengthy stay in the hospital (or, "in hospital" as the Brits say), and long recuperation. 

• Upvote 1

As a Crohn’s sufferer I would say it would be almost impossible to hide it, even a few times a month. The year leading up to my colectomy I was in a lot of pain all the time, exhausted and I looked terrible. I was 30 years old. If she is hiding Crohn’s disease I take my hat off to her I really do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

17 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Should we have an idea? Is she supposed to wear a sandwich sign declaring her relative wellness that day? Is she supposed to announce her bathroom usage? Maybe tally it on the back of the sign??She’s not even in the Line of Succession. Her health is actually no one’s business. 

While her engagement numbers were down last year, she still averaged over 10 per month —more actually if you take into account the annual break time all royals take in August. And it’s possible that whatever the issue leading to this surgery is, that it caused her to have a slower schedule. 

Many of those engagements could hardly count as work. A zoom call to a charity? A movie premiere? Siting in the best seat at Wimbleton? Most people would call these things "leisure." 

17 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The British taxpayers give her family nearly 100 million pounds of year (plus they pay hundreds of millions for their security).

So, yes, you could make the argument that they have an interest, even a right, to know about her health. If I were paying 100 million for something, I'd want to know where my money was going.

A lot of speculation she's been hospitalized for an eating disorder. That would make a lot of sense. The excessive thinness, her gaunt appearance, the long recovery time.

Apparently it's now thought she's being hospitalized for an eating disorder. Especially since she had the two fingers of her right hand (index and middle) bandaged back in September. It does kinda make sense.

3 hours ago, Lollipopgirl said:

As a Crohn’s sufferer I would say it would be almost impossible to hide it, even a few times a month. The year leading up to my colectomy I was in a lot of pain all the time, exhausted and I looked terrible. I was 30 years old. If she is hiding Crohn’s disease I take my hat off to her I really do. 

My coworker just got diagnosed with Crohns after being hospitalized but unless you knew, you wouldn’t be able to tell. She would look tired a few times a month but doctors chalked it up to endo. She suffered for 20 years before she was diagnosed. Everyone is different. 

• Upvote 1

So I have some questions based on coverage I’ve been reading. 

“Breakfast saw a choice of the usual cereal and toast, but unlike the NHS I could also have chosen from a range of pastries, hot breakfast items - which included omelettes and pancakes - and even avocado on toast.” (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12974695/london-clinic-patient-describes-hospital-kate-middleton-abdominal-surgery.html)

Are people on NHS limited to what they can chose food wise while in the hospital?

Per The London Clinic’s website:

”All our patient bedrooms are well-equipped with everything you need to make your stay as comfortable as possible, including:

Electronic patient-controlled bed

En-suite bathroom

Air conditioning

TV and radio with remote control

Telephone with direct dial facilities

Nurse call system

Personal safety deposit box/safe for any valuables, but it’s best to leave anything you don't need at home

WiFi internet access is available throughout The London Clinic, and we encourage the use of the use of video calling” 

(https://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/information-for-patients/your-stay#explore-the-london-clinic)

Some of these things seem a bit basic like the nurse call system, tv with remote, bathroom, air conditioning, and a patient controlled bed. Are these things not the norm in the UK? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

“Breakfast saw a choice of the usual cereal and toast, but unlike the NHS I could also have chosen from a range of pastries, hot breakfast items - which included omelettes and pancakes - and even avocado on toast.” (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12974695/london-clinic-patient-describes-hospital-kate-middleton-abdominal-surgery.html)

Are people on NHS limited to what they can chose food wise while in the hospital?

Per The London Clinic’s website:

”All our patient bedrooms are well-equipped with everything you need to make your stay as comfortable as possible, including:

Electronic patient-controlled bed

En-suite bathroom

Air conditioning

TV and radio with remote control

Telephone with direct dial facilities

Nurse call system

Personal safety deposit box/safe for any valuables, but it’s best to leave anything you don't need at home

WiFi internet access is available throughout The London Clinic, and we encourage the use of the use of video calling” 

(https://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/information-for-patients/your-stay#explore-the-london-clinic)

Some of these things seem a bit basic like the nurse call system, tv with remote, bathroom, air conditioning, and a patient controlled bed. Are these things not the norm in the UK? 

I saw something similar and wondered the same.  My crappy health insurance pays for all of that plus a private room here in the US(since covid the hospital turned most of its patient rooms into private rooms).

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

Agreed. It doesn't seem like she would have been able to hide ongoing colitis, etc.  This smacks more of they discovered something pretty large (or growing at a fast rate), and it had to come out immediately before it got bigger or turned malignant. 

...I have zero medical background for reference...

I have had an event such as you describe. It started with pain in my abdomen. Went to the doctor (GYN) several times over the next two  months, by which time an endometrioma had grown to the size of a grapefruit, and my entire fallopian tube had bent over from the weight, causing extreme pain. When the doctor FINALLY felt it, I was scheduled for surgery within three days. She not only removed the thing, she lysed many adhesions in my abdomen from the endometriosis. I was 24. She said if I'd been 40 she'd have removed the whole kit and caboodle.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

These are good questions and I’ll do my best to answer. In an NHS hospital you would be on a ward with other people and probably bathroom facilities which are shared. In my experience you can rent a TV per day which is placed by your bed. This can be really expensive so people don’t always bother. There is free Wi-Fi usually. The nurses station would be at one end of the ward or outside a couple of wards sometimes and you would definitely have a buzzer to call them but… at the moment NHS hospitals are very understaffed and although the staff are amazing they can’t always answer straight away. 
Food is generally not bad and there is a menu you can choose from the day before but that can be a bit limited. I visited my elderly Dad in an NHS hospital yesterday- he’s ok by the way, and he was tucking in to roast chicken and pear crumble when I left.

It can be noisy and busy with people coming and going during the night etc.

In a private hospital you would have your own room, en suite bathroom, much better menu and nicer food generally. Definitely your own TV and almost certainly more nurses per head. If you’re having an op- which you’re most likely to be having if you’re going privately- your consultant will come and see you before and often afterwards, but with the NHS you’re more likely not to see them until your follow up in a few weeks.

It does vary a bit from area to area and hospital to hospital but these are pretty much my experiences.

15 hours ago, viii said:

My coworker just got diagnosed with Crohns after being hospitalized but unless you knew, you wouldn’t be able to tell. She would look tired a few times a month but doctors chalked it up to endo. She suffered for 20 years before she was diagnosed. Everyone is different. 

That’s terrible. Poor, poor woman. I hope she’s getting the care she needs now. As you say, everyone is different but 20 years of undiagnosed Crohn’s is terrifying and could be life threatening. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Lollipopgirl said:

That’s terrible. Poor, poor woman. I hope she’s getting the care she needs now. As you say, everyone is different but 20 years of undiagnosed Crohn’s is terrifying and could be life threatening. 

Agreed, she is very fortunate. 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:57 PM, Baxter said:

Two weeks seems like a really long time in the hospital. Even if she was having something fairly major done, you'd think that she would want to get home as soon as possible and would arrange for extra care at home. It must be something really serious unless the doctors are just saying it is two weeks right now just in case but really they expect her to go home much sooner. 

I personally suspect that they are overestimating everything and putting out the worst case scenario timeline, so everyone can be pleased if she recovers more quickly AND so they don't have to come back later and be like "Ooops we said a week but it's really going to be two. But she's fine. Really!"

On 1/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, moreorlessnu said:

Would anyone have known (who was able to share that information) if she stayed in the hospital 2 days or 2 weeks? 

She may want privacy now, but may plan on making it one of her causes once she has recuperated. 

The way the press can be, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole planet knew how often she went to the restroom while there and the menu of every meal and how much of it she ate. 

I do agree that it's likely if this is something with a charity supporting it she will probably add it to her causes once she's well. That seems on brand for most celebrities really - deal with the acute issue as privately as possible, then once recovered or past the emergent stage they might share their experience how they choose to share it, and often then direct support to related charities. 

If it was something "shameful" in any way, or that they really wanted to keep totally hidden and secret, they'd have found another way to handle it and it's not likely it would have had to be so quick.

• Upvote 5

I think this is about bulimia, sadly. Kate had injured fingers throughout the fall. They were always the same two fingers on her right hand--index and middle finger. There was always a different reason she hurt them. I don't know a lot about bulimia, but I know this is a common symptom.

43 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

If it was something "shameful" in any way, or that they really wanted to keep totally hidden and secret, they'd have found another way to handle it and it's not likely it would have had to be so quick.

When the Queen died, one of the broadcasts mentioned that one of the castles had essentially a complete hospital (I'm paraphrasing). I'm guessing if they really wanted to keep things secret, and if there is the equivalent of a hospital room and related support systems in one of the castles, then Kate could be staying there.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

When the Queen died, one of the broadcasts mentioned that one of the castles had essentially a complete hospital (I'm paraphrasing). I'm guessing if they really wanted to keep things secret, and if there is the equivalent of a hospital room and related support systems in one of the castles, then Kate could be staying there.

If Kate has an eating disorder, she'll need specialized care that would require a real hospital/program. A room in a big castle with a hospital bed and some equipment would not fit the bill. She'd need counselors and psychiatrists who are not likely to give up their day job to go work for the royals. Ideally, she'd benefit from group therapy, though I don't know if that would happen in her case.

Once she gets out, she might participate in an IOP (that's what we call them here). It stands for Intensive Outpatient Program. Surely there's something similar in Britain? In any event, that's part of the gold standard of treatment and I'm sure they'd want her to have the best.

I don’t think we can suspect KP to be as open about health related stuff as BP is/has been. Just because the older Generation is open about “minor” things or pregnancy related stuff that comes out obviously, doesn’t mean W&K will continue to do so. I can absolutely see them drawing a line there. They are known to be uber private. They carved out their own way with the media regarding the children. Maybe they are carving out a new way regarding their health- especially when it’s not about the person in the LoS.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 3

On 1/20/2024 at 2:59 PM, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think we can suspect KP to be as open about health related stuff as BP is/has been. Just because the older Generation is open about “minor” things or pregnancy related stuff that comes out obviously, doesn’t mean W&K will continue to do so. I can absolutely see them drawing a line there. They are known to be uber private. They carved out their own way with the media regarding the children. Maybe they are carving out a new way regarding their health- especially when it’s not about the person in the LoS.

I think Kate could be a huge help to women, if she was open about her hysterectomy/bulimia/colon issues or whatever. Here is a chance to really help others, and provide a benefit to the British public, which pays for her elaborate dresses and jewelry.

Royal reporter Angela Levin is now reporting Kate's hospitalization is for a mental illness.

I thought Buckingham Palace had a lot of medical setup from the "olden days".  There was a scene in one of the earliest episodes of "The Crown" where they were embalming King George and Margaret (I think) went in and interrupted the process to say goodbye to her father.  The embalming equipment was a little disturbing, but they were focusing on realistic

8 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

I thought Buckingham Palace had a lot of medical setup from the "olden days".  There was a scene in one of the earliest episodes of "The Crown" where they were embalming King George and Margaret (I think) went in and interrupted the process to say goodbye to her father.  The embalming equipment was a little disturbing, but they were focusing on realistic

Buckingham Palace is undergoing a multi-year renovation.  Even if the medical space still exists, the place is full of construction workers so I don't think it would make a good place for post op recovery.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic