IGNORED

Joe Biden 2: President Dark Brandon For The Win!

GreyhoundFan

A good one from Eugene Robinson: "Why we shouldn’t underestimate Joe Biden"

President Biden’s poll numbers are stubbornly low. Most voters think he might be too old to run for reelection. Even many Democrats would like to see someone else heading the ticket next year.

In other words, he’s got us all just where he wants us.

Being underestimated is Biden’s political superpower. He used it to win the Democratic nomination in 2020; he used it to pull off the rare feat of ousting an incumbent president. He has used it to pass historic legislation with tiny congressional majorities, to thwart Russia’s brutal attempt to conquer Ukraine and to turn what Republicans thought would be a “red wave” midterm election into a sad little ripple.

And Biden is perfectly capable of using that superpower again to win a second term. Those who doubt this are welcome to fool around and find out.

I keep thinking back to the reporting trip I made to South Carolina in 2020 shortly before that state’s pivotal primary. I was driving from the Charleston airport to my hotel when Rep. James E. Clyburn, the Democratic kingmaker, endorsed Biden. It was lifesaving oxygen for a campaign out of breath: Biden had finished a shocking fourth in the chaotic Iowa caucuses, an abysmal fifth in the New Hampshire primary and a poor second in Nevada. Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont had all the momentum.

I spent the next couple of days talking to Democratic voters in Charleston and my hometown of Orangeburg. All of them were aware of Clyburn’s endorsement. Almost none voiced enthusiasm about Biden — he was so old, he had been around forever, maybe his time had come and gone — but all were pragmatic. And all of them wanted President Donald Trump out of the White House.

Biden ended up winning South Carolina in a landslide, and you know the rest. A week later, he won 10 of the 14 Super Tuesday primaries to essentially sew up the nomination. And Democrats went on to capture not just the White House but also both chambers of Congress.

If he runs again, Biden will be 81 on Election Day. He will occasionally misspeak or fumble for words, as he has done for his entire political career — on Wednesday, during his trip to Ireland, he tried to refer to New Zealand’s national rugby team, the All Blacks, but instead called them the “Black and Tans,” which was the name of a brutal British paramilitary force. He quickly corrected himself, but Republicans will make fun of him, as they always do.

If they were smart, Republicans would listen to former House speaker Newt Gingrich, who scolded his party after last year’s election: “We dislike Biden so much, we pettily focus on his speaking difficulties, sometimes strange behavior, clear lapses of memory, and other personal flaws. Our aversion to him and his policies makes us underestimate him and the Democrats.”

Gingrich correctly noted that “the Biden team had one of the best first term off-year elections in history” and implored Republicans to acknowledge that “our system and approach failed.”

So what does the GOP appear prepared to do? Nominate Trump yet again. Refuse to rethink extreme positions on issues such as abortion and gun violence that are radically out of step with majority opinion. Energize Democrats while repelling independent voters.

If it looks as if Trump will be the Republican nominee — and he seems to be pulling away from the field, if you can call it a field — I expect Biden to run, and run hard. He believes, as I do, that Trump must never again be entrusted with any public office, let alone the presidency. There are other Democrats who might beat Trump, but Biden knows he can do it — because he has done it. And decisively.

A Biden-Trump rematch is not the contest most Americans would like to see. But elections are choices. And while polls may say that Biden’s approval rating is low, they consistently report that Trump’s is lower.

I suppose there is a chance that the Republican Party might somehow solve its Trump problem, though at present that looks unlikely. If he were out of the picture, and not heckling or sabotaging the GOP nominee from the sidelines — like I said, this is an unlikely scenario — would a younger, more conventional Republican be a more formidable opponent against Biden? Would Biden even run? Might the president step aside in favor of the next generation?

Wait, I’m doing it, too. I’m underestimating Biden by assuming his decision about running depends on who his opponent might be — rather than on his own determination, discipline and political dexterity. Get lost in that kind of reverie, Republicans, and you’ll wake up to see him being sworn in for his second term.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

I was watching the coverage of the above clip live on TV and the cheer when he came out was so huge I had to temporarily turn down the volume 🤣🤣🤣 

Tens of thousands of people waited eight or nine hours to see him; it's not just the scenes you can see in the video - that's down by the river - but all of the roads leading up from the river in every direction were also thronged and they had big screens set up so everyone had a view.

The four days have been gorgeous, he just seems such a kind and genuine human being. No one can fake the compassion and emotion he's shown while here and while I completely get that a lot of you might disagree with his politics or policies I think I can speak for basically the whole of ireland at this point and say WE LOVE HIM!!!!

(And the Brits are butt-hurt that he spent so much time with us and are whining solidly in their media about it, which obvs makes the whole even juicier and tastier...mmm, delicious!) 

:goldfish:

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

Donnie that's what it means to have a president express his faith. Not use an upside down Bible as a weapon against peaceful protesters.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

On 4/11/2023 at 4:15 PM, IrishCarrie said:

Nom nom nom 😋😋😋

E7B85404-292C-4759-834E-2499A9B08460.jpeg

I was going to ask if you got monkey's blood or fairy liquid on yours.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can you imagine TFG if someone started singing in his presence?  He would have grabbed the mic and yammered to bring the attention back to himself. 

• Upvote 7

Dark Brandon scores again!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

Another good one from Dark Brandon:

• Haha 5

Dark Brandon hits again, showing exactly who voted against veteran’s health care.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

image.thumb.png.0decd6a1aece0935b5a0b37768ce0ba9.pngimage.thumb.png.6ba83584b51acd51b764f609295694e4.pngimage.png.49b574f6cf2de1eaac8f6963fd3f97ce.png

• Upvote 6

He’s right:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

Dark Brandon does it again.

• Upvote 7

On 5/6/2023 at 9:35 AM, fraurosena said:

Dark Brandon does it again.

I know it’s only fair to note that the Trump drop was due to COVID-19 but:

1) If Trump hadn’t disbanded the part of the government dedicated to addressing pandemics, there is a good chance the pandemic would have been much better addressed;

2)  Setting aside that epic failure, has Trump handled it even marginally better there is a good chance the pandemic would have not been as bad but if he had been the leader he should have been there is no doubt the pandemic would have had far fewer lost lives and lost jobs in that it would have been contained in a shorter time frame due to people following proper precautions;

3)  Right or wrong, it amuses me to see Trump as the only one below the line as he hates being thought as a “loser” but the graph makes him look like a loser. 

Mostly the the first two, though. He had opportunities to make clear and consistent statements that would have helped keep people alive and lessen the impact of the pandemic. 

• Upvote 6

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Boom!

• Upvote 4

I doubt TFG even knows how to ride a bike. 

• Upvote 6

Quite different from TFG’s crazed nonsense:

image.png.3c79d27bfe5714bcf2de832a7530a357.png

• Upvote 6

image.png.b7d1dd7496c71169a8d2246a8667bc65.png

• Upvote 7

• Upvote 6

A heartfelt message:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

Dark Brandon throws some epic shade.