• Love 8

image.thumb.png.0def6d7fb8bc1928319b12342c863e77.png

• Upvote 5

image.thumb.png.512dc5107daceb3648f721d40f252919.png

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

image.png.8d3850eac9577da3b55730988bd9a468.png

"Uvalde"

What are the odds that on the same day I receive a journalism award from a human rights organization, the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization, for a cartoon on school shootings that’s there’s another school shooting? In this country where politicians refuse to do anything to stop mass shootings and end the easy accessibility of assault rifles designed to kill as many people in the fastest way possible, pretty good. We don’t live in Belgium.

I had one of the best days of my career yesterday. After 32 years of being a professional cartoonist, I finally won my first national award. I didn’t just win any award. I won one of the big ones. And, it’s a journalism award focused on human rights, the issues closest to my heart, the issues I believe are the most important in this nation. Immigration is not the greatest threat to this nation. So while I was having the best day of my career, a lot of people in Texas were having the worst day of their lives. Nineteen children lost their lives. Parents lost their babies. Two teachers were also killed.

I received a congratulatory message from Ann Telnaes yesterday, one of the best cartoonists in our business and a person I have the highest respect for. I received several congrats from friends and colleagues, but Ann’s stood out because she apologized for congratulating me an “hour late,” as she was following the tragedy in Texas. Her message brought me back down to Earth a little bit and was a reminder that I still have to focus on what got me that award. Awards are nice, but it’d be nicer if 19 children didn’t die yesterday from something we could have prevented. My news was not the most important thing to focus on yesterday.

Another friend told me it was a shame that the shooting happened while the RFK ceremony was underway. But, this is America. Good luck picking a day where there’s not a mass shooting.

As you are aware, this is not the first mass shooting. We’re still covering the one from two Saturdays ago. This is not the first school shooting. Since these are not the first of horrible incidents, then why haven’t we put an end to these things? Republicans, that’s why.

Instead of fleeing Texas in time of trouble as is his habit, Ted Cruz offered condolences, then expressed anger at anyone who might suggest we go after the weapons that were made to kill children. Texas Governor Greg Abbott expressed confusion as to why this stuff happens. This weekend, they will both be speaking at an NRA convention in the state of…you guessed it…Texas. This is why this shit keeps happening. This is why children continue to die in their classrooms.

The person who killed these children purchased two assault rifles after turning 18 when he can’t buy a beer. Republicans are more interested in speaking at an NRA convention and scooping up big cash donations than preventing a kid from buying assault rifles to kill other kids.

These children were all in the same 4th-grade class. The shooter barricaded himself with them in their class. He killed 19 of the students and two teachers. They didn’t have a chance. This weekend, Ted and Greg are going to barricade themselves with gun humpers who will give them money to save guns from commie liberals, who want to end mass shootings. If they do bring up this shooting at the conference, I’m sure they’ll blame liberals. Hell, they don’t even want to blame racism for the Buffalo shooting.

Last night, I reshared my cartoon on mass shootings that was in my entry for the RFK Award. At this point, it has nearly 7,000 shares, a lot more from when I originally posted it in 2021. The bad thing is, I can’t remember which school shooting it was about. I was also being screamed at by people with Pepe the Frog as their profile pictures for posting the cartoon. Cartoons on mass shootings disturb gun humpers more than mass shootings do. I find thoughts and prayers more outraging as responses to these incidents.

This morning, I was having second thoughts about drawing another cartoon with dead bodies. Haven’t I drawn too many of these? Then I saw Michael Ramirez’s cartoon of a crying Uncle Sam. If Michael hasn’t drawn too many crying Uncle Sam’s yet, cartoons that refuse to address the issue, then I haven’t drawn too many cartoons that do address the issue. But, yes. I have drawn too many cartoons with dead bodies from mass shootings.

Do you want me to stop drawing cartoons with dead bodies after mass shootings? I will when we stop mass shootings.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

20220526_luckovich1.JPG

• Upvote 5

image.png.6cf1308e189e596424624ac7e51668aa.png

"Speedy Thoughts And Prayers"

While drawing this cartoon, I was afraid Texas Senator Ted Cruz and Texas Governor Greg Abbott would pull out of speaking at this weekend’s NRA convention in Houston, because it would be the right thing to do after a mass shooting with an assault rifle killed 19 children in their state. But fortunately, at least for my cartoon, Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott NEVER do the right thing.

After 9/11, one of the major networks pulled an airing of the 90’s disaster movie, Independence Day. They figured after the entire nation witnessed planes flying into towers that their viewers weren’t in the mood to watch aliens blow up the White House, the Capitol building, the Statue of Liberty, and the entire cities of Washington, New York, and Los Angeles. Sometimes after a mass shooting, networks will pull or reschedule a gun-packed action movie. They often feel it’s insensitive and in poor taste to watch Sylvester Stallone shoot 97 people in the head which is the usual body count in any Rambo movie. It’s usually in poor taste to watch any Rambo movie at any time.

So, you would think the National Rifle Association would pull or reschedule their gun orgy party for later. You would think they’d realize that gun humping in the same state where 19 elementary students were massacred would be in poor taste. But, this is America and it’s hard to predict a location and a date when there won’t be a mass shooting. Also, Republicans don’t have taste.

It took national outrage for Ted Cruz to flee Cancun, where he escaped when Texas got hit by a winter freeze that was wiping power out across the state and killing Texans. Even Ted Cruz realized him being in Cancun was in poor taste…or someone told him. So, Ted quickly returned to Texas to pose for photo-ops of him helping Texans put bottled water in car trunks while wearing a Texas flag face mask. Yee-haw, Ted.

But good ole Ted and Greg will be in Houston this weekend kissing NRA ass for NRA dollars. It won’t matter if someone tells Ted it’s in poor taste because he is owned by the NRA. He has to be there. And if one of the speakers pulls out, or the convention is canceled, it would be admitting that guns had something to do with the slaughter in Uvalde.

The “American Pie” singer, Don McClean, was scheduled to perform at the convention but he has since canceled stating it would be “disrespectful.” But don’t worry as there will still be music goodness by Lee Greenwood who’ll sing that song white nationalists and MAGAts love to circle-jerk to, where he sings, “I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free.” Shit. It’s in my brain! It’s in my brain!

In addition to Cruz, Abbott (who went to a fundraiser the night of the Uvalde massacre), Lee Greenwood, and circle-jerking racist MAGAts, Donald Trump’s going to be there too. Hmm, I wonder what they’ll talk about.

Will they have a moment of silence for the 21 victims of Uvalde? Will they offer responsible and real solutions to gun violence? Or, will they only offer thoughts and prayers? Of course, they won’t just offer thoughts and prayers, you cynical bastards. They’re going to offer a great big heaping pile of bullshit that’s not going to be helpful to anyone.

They’re going to blame the lack of mental healthcare even though they don’t want to increase funding for mental healthcare. They’re going to blame cancel culture. They’re going to blame liberals and Democrats. They’re going to blame transgenders. They’re going to blame the media and movies. They’re going to blame Twitter and Facebook. They’re going to blame Critical Race Theory. They’re going to blame Disney. They’re going to blame gay math books. They’re going to blame Planned Parenthood. They’re going to blame inflation and gas prices. They’re going to blame mail-in voting. They’re going to blame “globalists.” They’re going to blame immigration. They’re going to blame Joe Biden.

But they’re not going to blame the laws that allowed an 18-year-old to purchase two assault rifles. They’re not going to blame how easy it is in this nation to legally purchase an assault rifle. They’re going to rant against laws that increase background checks even though the majority of the nation supports them.

Most of all, they’re going to celebrate the 2nd Amendment which they believe states that every American can purchase as many killing machines as they can afford. They’ll celebrate the ability to purchase weapons that are created only to kill as many people as quickly as possible. They’re going to celebrate your constitutional right to purchase weapons designed to kill 19 children in a fourth-grade classroom.

And, they’re going to quote the 2nd Amendment while omitting the words “well regulated.”

They’re going to promote the idea that more guns in this country mean fewer mass shootings. They’re going to promote the idea that every teacher should be armed with a gun. They’re going to promote the “good guy with a gun” concept, that every room in this nation should be packed with people who are packing.

And they’re going to do it in a room they’ve designated as a gun-free zone.

• Upvote 6

20220526_csotd1.JPG

• Upvote 5

20220526_anderson1.JPG

• Upvote 6

20220526_csotd2.JPG

• Upvote 5

20220526_luckovich2.JPG

• Upvote 5

20220526_lalo1.JPG

• Upvote 5

20220526_go1.JPG