IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 39: It's Never Leg Humping to Support Victims - Applaud Strength

HerNameIsBuffy

23 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Like Jim the camera man (or sound guy)?  I'm wondering the same thing.  Seriously, he had zero idea?  

I thought of him too, especially since he let his tween daughter hang out with them. I do think TLC is culpable and wonder how the crew is processing all this. Do they feel complicit or regretful?  I was horrified when a girl in our youth group (I was a coleader) later came forward as an adult and took her father to court with abuse charges. The family was well known and involved in the church. I, and many others, had no idea - we all saw she was shy and withdrawn but it “fit” because they were conservative homeschoolers. And looking back I can identify things that would be flags, but at the time? Nope.

If I remember correctly, right before everything first broke with Josh and the show was cancelled, they did an episode interviewing the crew. I think they all went on about how genuine the Duggars were and implied (or stated directly maybe?) that they had never heard anyone raise their voices or spank. So possibly the Duggars really did conceal everything and fool outsiders?

Or perhaps the weird cultlike behavior hid it, like things that would have been normal red flags were ruled “quirks?” I think there still must have been signs, but it is mysterious to me. A lot of people would have been around them for long stretches at time. Maybe that was a big reason for how controlled the interviews and staging was.

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

I feel like I remember Erin Bates saying they weren’t involved with ATI anymore. And obviously Jill has made some veiled statements. Has anyone else whose left fundiedom done something like this? But have any actual leaders who had power/influence in any of these movements and then left actually publicly owned any of it? Counting kidults, Josh Harris comes to mind, but even at that, he’s still grifting, only this time with deconstruction.

It's not you, it's Erin, but this is one of my pet peeves. What Erin Bates Paine said is that "she no longer follows Bill Gothard." She is still IBLP. Her father Gil Bates and her father-in-law Charles Paine are on the IBLP board and kicked Bill Gothard out of IBLP, so she can be IBLP without following Gothard. She was deliberately misleading people when she said that and she knew it.

Erin is one of the most fundie Bates children. She is in no way ex-fundie.

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

31 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If they confiscated it from him it's not bizarre to me.  I probably have 50 flash between my house, purse, laptop bags, and car and if my kids grabbed one to borrow they could have anything on them from a Windows 10 ISO boot to files named anything from Buffys nonsense to kiddo pics 2015 or whatever.

Anna could have downloaded something from Amy and he just grabbed the flash drive for something else.  

Don’t they call each other Mommy and Daddy? I would think that could be a normal file - like a document to give to Amy and Anna?

• Upvote 3

It isn’t just parents on reality show who shill their children out for money, family vloggers aren’t any better. A quick check of channels like April and Davy will attest to that. 
The mother has filmed her sick kids in the ER when they were crying with pain.

Horrible people. And with family channels there is zero oversight.  Jim Bob withheld his kid’s rightful earnings, while vlogger kids have no rights at all. 

• Upvote 13
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 8

There never was anything "real" about the reality show. It was all scripted and staged. While Josh, Michelle, and JB are not the brightest and horrible people they are not completely clueless. Of course no one at TLC caught wind of the abuse- they were all going to be extremely tight lipped about it during the times filming was there. 

• Upvote 12

3 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Don’t they call each other Mommy and Daddy?

Who?  Josh and Anna?!  Just when I thought this couldn't get any more weird.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

2 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It's not you, it's Erin, but this is one of my pet peeves. What Erin Bates Paine said is that "she no longer follows Bill Gothard." She is still IBLP. Her father Gil Bates and her father-in-law Charles Paine are on the IBLP board and kicked Bill Gothard out of IBLP, so she can be IBLP without following Gothard. She was deliberately misleading people when she said that and she knew it.

Erin is one of the most fundie Bates children. She is in no way ex-fundie.

Ah, that is an important distinction. Thanks for clarifying.

And what bothers me, too, is even with any of them, there’s no clear statement, just distancing. It’s wild to me how often fundies will shill godly wisdom publicly and then when there’s a problem (Gothard, Pearls) will pretend like there’s nuance. I don’t engage much anymore, but the whole “eat the meat spit out the bones” has come up with so many fundies about the Pearls teaching etc, OR, how about you just find some food without bones that will choke the life out of you and your children?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

There never was anything "real" about the reality show. It was all scripted and staged. While Josh, Michelle, and JB are not the brightest and horrible people they are not completely clueless. Of course no one at TLC caught wind of the abuse- they were all going to be extremely tight lipped about it during the times filming was there. 

But over ten years of filming and traveling with them and so much time, wouldn’t there have been any red flags to anyone? 

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Who?  Josh and Anna?!  Just when I thought this couldn't get any more weird.

Yeah, they did that on the show. It was as gross as it sounds.

8 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

It isn’t just parents on reality show who shill their children out for money, family vloggers aren’t any better. A quick check of channels like April and Davy will attest to that. 
The mother has filmed her sick kids in the ER when they were crying with pain.

Horrible people. And with family channels there is zero oversight.  Jim Bob withheld his kid’s rightful earnings, while vlogger kids have no rights at all. 

Yeah, I am old enough to have only gotten on Instagram recently, and the voyeurism of it creeps me out. Ugh. Like, I guess, if you as an adult want record yourself crying in your car, okay? But all the coordinated things with children. No thanks. Super gross.

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 13
  • Disgust 1

19 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

So far he seems to be the only one who seems to be showing what it is to be a Christian, what with apparently being kind to his sister-in-law whose husband the pedo is the one on trial. 

Yeah I was wondering if maybe he sees this as an opportunity to plant ideas in Anna’s head…ideas about getting out. I mean…JB has banned him from TTM for years but he can’t do anything about Derrick occupying this public space.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

But you know she’ll likely be forced to spend time with the pest. I’m sure JB will insist she continue to show her support. I think I’d feign a stomach virus with vomiting and diarrhea, along with heavy PP bleeding to get some space this weekend. Maybe Michelle can care for all 7 kids.

Knowing what Michelle allowed to happen to her own children, she is the last person I would allow to babysit.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 16

6 minutes ago, BadMurphy said:

Yeah I was wondering if maybe he sees this as an opportunity to plant ideas in Anna’s head…ideas about getting out. I mean…JB has banned him from TTM for years but he can’t do anything about Derrick occupying this public space.

and so far he has shown up with binder, pen and paper. The man is taking notes. listening to arguments and examinations, taking some more notes, and JB should be shitting himself day in day out as should Off'JB. 

• Upvote 12

So I was reading Duggardata's analysis of a potential sentence, and she seems to think given the sentencing guidelines he might get between 14 - 19.5 years.  So take some hope into the weekend

• Upvote 19
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic