IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Okay thanks. I found Anna and Mary's facebooks.  Anna has a picture that she made public.  She is in a plane and took a picture of the land below.  It was taken Aug 28.  Just thought I'd bring it up because someone asked how they got to school.  I'm assuming from this picture that the girls took a plane.  

Edited to add:  Mary looks beautiful in her profile pic.  Full on makeup and everything.  

How does one find these FB accounts?  I've looked without success.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I saw it mentioned above but do all the older grandchildren actually attend school?

The Maxwells? No, as far as I'm aware all the grandkids are homeschooled. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, sparkles said:

If I’m remembering correctly, the posts or Corners (I think it was the Corners) made it sound like there was some kind of negotiation going on before Steve was given the option of “resigning.” Since his issue appeared to be that he would no longer work with women for religious reasons, I can see him pulling the religious persecution card and threatening legal action so the company might have thought a payout just made more sense, from a “let’s get rid of the nuisance” perspective.

Boeing was doing ok - but a whole lot of the aerospace subcontracting firms in KC ran into major issues when Boeing slowed down production around the same time as Steve "magically" realized that he didn't want to work with women anymore.

My assumption - which is an assumption - was that Steve got himself laid off or had his position eliminated due to market force changes.

I've always thought Steve's come-to-Jesus that he didn't want to work with women or disliked how corporate life worked or decided that owning his own business is Godly (funny that all three themes can be supported from his articles section) was just image-management for the fundie crowd.  There was precious little risk in it; few of his followers worked in his industry and few in his industry knew or cared about his home-based cult.

What would be risky would be going to your boss in the early 2000's and informing them that you can't work with women for religious reasons.  Workplaces have a legal responsibility to not allow differential treatment between male and female employees.  Workplaces cannot discriminate against people on the basis of religion - but accommodating religious practices in the workplace is at the discretion of the employer and cannot be used by most businesses as a reason to discriminate by gender.

A good HR may well tell him that he can adapt his daily life at his job towards women as long as he does the same for men.   Can't ride to a meeting with a woman alone?  Fine - as long as you don't ride with a man alone either.   Can't be in an office with a woman alone?  Cool - don't do it with men either.     That does take all the fun out of avoiding women as a sign of moral superiority - but hey, who said being an super-Christian is fun?

But honestly, the story is so ham-handed that I'm skeptical of its accuracy.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

I'm curious how much of the change was caused by Sarah's 'second' concussion.  

Sarah and I are within four months of each other in age.   When I was 33, I was rear-ended at high speed by a pickup truck while driving a hatchback.  I walked away from the accident without any visible injuries, but developed signs of a concussion within 24 hours.  Before the accident, I was a graduate student in Biology.  After the accident, I had hesitant, labored speech, difficulty writing, inability to read (let alone comprehend) text written above junior high level along with nausea, exhaustion and headaches.

An MRI came back clean and I was given an appointment for evaluation at a concussion clinic in around 10 weeks later for post-concussion syndrome.  My doctor gave me a crash course in how to recover from a concussion and I pretty much re-introduced one activity at a time and gave my brain lots of rest.

Ten weeks out, I passed basic cognitive testing at the level appropriate for my age and gender.  The nausea and headaches were gone.    I was still a bit tired - but mostly because I felt like I had to think harder than I used to.  I expressed my frustration that I didn't feel up to my previous standard - and the doctors told me that my brain was healing at the proper clip and I should be back to normal within the next three months.   

They were right.   

I also whapped my head on a whole lot of objects during that ten weeks - and in the three months after - and the last seven years.      None of the times I hit my head in day-to-day life caused a relapse - and I am a total klutz.

Sarah was having concussion symptoms months after I had recovered.  Her first head injury sounded like a doozy - but she should have been healed up long before she was even if she smacked her head on cabinets.

I wonder if her doctor - or the concussion clinic - or both had her take a depression/anxiety screening after the second concussion caused a whole lot of symptoms that might be related to depression.

I also wonder if having a daughter struggle stirred a long-dormant maternal protective instinct in Terri.    Terri's sons are doing great by Maxwell and normal standards; it's her daughters who have been spinning their wheels as homebody teenagers for over a decade now.   Steven's pretty clear in his Articles that he's always worked on disagreement with Terri by "teaching" her his ideas over and over until she gives in - but that also means that Steve might be very out-of-practice at resisting a direct rebellion from his wife.   

And their kids never rebelled - just ask him! - which means he's really out of practice for whatever has hit the Adult Maxwell Offspring.

• Upvote 20
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

Are there any families left like the Maxwells with older SAHDs that haven’t made moves like Sarah, Anna and Mary just did? 

The Botkins! The Botkin daughters are both still at home. There are two of them and they're in their mid-thirties. Anna Sofia is around 36 and Elizabeth is around 34.

There are other stay-at-home daughters from families where the other daughters have moved out like Jana Duggar, Sarah Waller, Elizabeth Wissman, etc.

In the past few years, Sarah and Grace Mally both got married, so their parents are empty-nesters. Esther Staddon got married. Sarah Maxwell is the only I know of who moved out by herself. 

• Upvote 4

I’m truly so happy for them. 🥳

Personal rambling under spoiler 

Spoiler

I’m almost 24 and wanting to get back to college (been doing my second option online but want to go in person for the major I actually want), I feel so old and awful about not having a degree yet.

This is weirdly inspiring… I’ll give myself until 26 before giving up for good lol 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 19

1 hour ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Hide contents

I’m almost 24 and wanting to get back to college (been doing my second option online but want to go in person for the major I actually want), I feel so old and awful about not having a degree yet.

This is weirdly inspiring… I’ll give myself until 26 before giving up for good lol 

Don’t give up. You can get your degree later, it’s never too late. Keep on with your online course as you’ll get such a buzz when you complete it. At almost 24 the world is your oyster, you are young and almost anything is possible if you want it enough to do the hard work necessary to get there. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 3

Just finished catching up, I hadn't checked on Maxhell in awhile.  I'm so happy for Sarah, Anna and Mary.  They have a real chance at happiness now - THEIR version of happiness, not Stevhovah and Terrified's.  

My ride on the ISB:  Steve and Teri will close down the entire Titus 2 shebang within months.  Unless there have been major revisions over the years, which I really don't think has happened, all of their books espouse a way of living and raising children that all their kids except Christopher have pretty much abandoned.  Besides, who's going to pick up books from a printer and ship stuff out now that their free labor is gone and they continue to deal with age-related health issues?  

I think they will eventually sell/give their house to Chris and Anna Marie or Nathan and Melanie, and buy something smaller or move in with Gigi. 

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Hide contents

Do it!! I have a friend who’s the same age as you who has been working on an associates degree since she was 20 and all of a sudden decided a few months ago that she doesn’t want to do anything with what she’s currently getting a degree for. She didn’t know what to do for a bit but decided that she’ll be going to cosmetology school. She starts a month after her 24th birthday and was worried about being too old since most people there are like right out of high school, but I told her, would you rather being 25 and not enjoying your career or be 25 and starting your dream job?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, Angelface said:

Don’t give up. You can get your degree later, it’s never too late. Keep on with your online course as you’ll get such a buzz when you complete it. At almost 24 the world is your oyster, you are young and almost anything is possible if you want it enough to do the hard work necessary to get there. 

Do it!! I promise you that your teachers are happy to have older students in their classes. I’m a former professor and I saw lots of non traditional students excel in my classes and go on to new careers. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Hide contents

My mom went back to finish her undergrad at age 40 and then went on to law school (she's still practicing at 88). You're never too old.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 22

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Do it!! I have a friend who’s the same age as you who has been working on an associates degree since she was 20 and all of a sudden decided a few months ago that she doesn’t want to do anything with what she’s currently getting a degree for. She didn’t know what to do for a bit but decided that she’ll be going to cosmetology school. She starts a month after her 24th birthday and was worried about being too old since most people there are like right out of high school, but I told her, would you rather being 25 and not enjoying your career or be 25 and starting your dream job?

I started Medical school at 29. I'm 32, with a baby, still in Medical School and don't feel "old" or "too late" AT ALL. I'm the oldest there but who cares? It's ridiculous in my opinion to think you have to figure out your entire life at 18, sometimes we find what we want to do a bit later but it's NEVER too late to get an education, to start over, to find your passion.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 16

16 hours ago, Bethy said:

It's possible that this varies by area. I lived with an elderly relative years ago, and I had a small dog. When I could no longer stay there, I started looking for apartments, but there were NONE advertised in my area that would allow pets at all, not even cats.

When my first apartment building was condemned in late 2014, I spent two months in a motel(boarding my cat at the local animal shelter)until I could find a place that I could afford, on the first floor(disability), and I could take her—and even then, I needed a note from my doctor.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Hide contents

I didn't even start college until I was 31. And it took me six years to get through it because I was a married, working adult and went part time most of the time. 

No matter how long it takes or how old you are, you will never regret it. You will regret not doing it before you regret spending the time to do it, however long it takes and however old you are when complete. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I did college young but I had tons of older classmates in grad school. I hate writing papers and all that so there’s no way I would go back now. But I would love to just sit in on some classes and listen. I love learning, but hate writing papers! I’m a weirdo who actually enjoys lectures. From a decent teacher. I had a few really horrible lecturers. I don’t want to listen to them ever again. But most were interesting. 

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

Hide contents

I was a traditionally aged college student, but I will tell you I always like, nay, ADMIRED, the students who were bit older (the grad students, the students who had done a stint in the military, the students who were working their way thru school). They had their shit together. They were simply cooler.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Wow, I go on vacation for a week and Sarah Maxwell moves out of Stevehovah's house? 

Amazing.

Sarah, if you ever run across this - good for you! Keep taking those baby steps... you are an adult. Maybe take yourself somewhere you've never been before and try some new things! 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I started Medical school at 29. I'm 32, with a baby, still in Medical School and don't feel "old" or "too late" AT ALL. I'm the oldest there but who cares? It's ridiculous in my opinion to think you have to figure out your entire life at 18, sometimes we find what we want to do a bit later but it's NEVER too late to get an education, to start over, to find your passion.

A good friend of mine had always wanted to be a doctor but for family reasons got a business degree and became a CPA. In her mid-30s she looked at her life and decided that she couldn’t live someone else’s dream anymore. She went back to college while continuing to work part time as a CPA, got her science pre-reqs, took the MCAT twice, and started medical school at 40. 13 years later she is very happy in her new life as a family practitioner.

Oh and I forgot to mention that her children were middle school age when this began. It took a lot of support from her parents and her husband and frankly a lot of sacrifices on the part of husband and kids, but everybody is happier now.

Unless, like me, you don’t have enough working years left to pay off the loans (I’m 60 and in another life might have gone to law school), it’s never too late.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

Being curious, I typed both Mary Maxwell and Anna Maxwell into FB, and both names had suggestions for Leavenworth and Appalachian Bible College, without me trying a single letter more. (Couldn’t find either one, didn’t look hard.) FreeJinger is a vast network, friends!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

42 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Being curious, I typed both Mary Maxwell and Anna Maxwell into FB, and both names had suggestions for Leavenworth and Appalachian Bible College, without me trying a single letter more. (Couldn’t find either one, didn’t look hard.) FreeJinger is a vast network, friends!

None seemed to lead to the Mary Maxwell of whom we speak, though. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I didn't even start college until I was 31. And it took me six years to get through it because I was a married, working adult and went part time most of the time. 

No matter how long it takes or how old you are, you will never regret it. You will regret not doing it before you regret spending the time to do it, however long it takes and however old you are when complete. 

To put things in perspective, if you graduate at 36, you still have 30+ years of a career ahead of you. 

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Caroline said:

Okay thanks. I found Anna and Mary's Facebooks.  Anna has a picture that she made public. 

Public Facebook? Yikes--or is it just the picture. No matter, FREEDOM and real adulthood are beckoning at last. I hope someone in the family continues to blog in some way and will update if there are weddings and babies etc.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Public Facebook? Yikes--or is it just the picture. No matter, FREEDOM and real adulthood are beckoning at last. I hope someone in the family continues to blog in some way and will update if there are weddings and babies etc.

I've also noticed that Sarah is actually commenting on the Linked In business postings of others--not just responding to cute dog pictures. Even postings by men!

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic