IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 18: The Irony of the Possibly Overweight Plane

nelliebelle1197

3 hours ago, SayonaraLara said:

From another source on the documentary: 

HBO Max also announced “The Way Down,” a five-part docuseries about the controversial Remnant Fellowship Church and its founder, will premiere with the first three episodes on Sept. 30. The docuseries explores how the late Gwen Shamblin Lara, who created the Christian weight loss program “The Weigh Down Workshop,” rose to fame as a diet guru and church leader. Encompassing two years of extensive research, interviews and investigation, “The Way Down” details the controversial practices of the Remnant Fellowship, including stories of abuse and exploitation as told by former members and others who were personally impacted. “The Way Down” is directed by Marina Zenovich and executive produced by Zenovich, journalist Nile Cappello, Ross Dinerstein, Luke Dillon and Chrissy Teigen. P.G. Morgan, Rebecca Evans and Ross Girard serve as co-executive producers. The music for the series is composed by Isobel Waller-Bridge.

Chrissy Teigen!!!!!  Gwen would hate her because she writes cookbooks and likes food. Also, her husband is a real musician.

Can you share a link to this other source?? Thanks!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

Can you share a link to this other source?? Thanks!

Here are a couple places with the paragraph SayonaraLara shared (about half way down in the article). 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/outer-banks-trailer-netflix-season-2-1235019337/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/netflix-releases-outer-banks-season-140038995.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

Chrissy Teigen also has a pleasantly rounded face IMO. I’ve never paid attention to the rest of her but I’m guessing she’s not the stick-thin ideal that RF apparently preaches. 

• Upvote 4

Okay, first, I'm almost embarrassed that we haven't had a thread titled "The Way Down" yet. I feel like we should have had that by now. ?

Second... I am SO EXCITED! We've been worried that the documentary would be canceled after the crash for it being "insensitive." Then when the documentary account pretty much disappeared, I was worried RF had managed to get the project shut down. The FreeJinger members who are involved vouched for the crew and said it was a "big streaming service" but I never dreamed HBO. I thought, best case, Netflix. This is amazing. Definitely getting an HBO Max subscription!

I don't think it will get our family out, but if it can be a beacon to the world and shine a light that keeps potential members out - that will be amazing!

• Upvote 22
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Okay, first, I'm almost embarrassed that we haven't had a thread titled "The Way Down" yet. I feel like we should have had that by now. ?

Second... I am SO EXCITED! We've been worried that the documentary would be canceled after the crash for it being "insensitive." Then when the documentary account pretty much disappeared, I was worried RF had managed to get the project shut down. The FreeJinger members who are involved vouched for the crew and said it was a "big streaming service" but I never dreamed HBO. I thought, best case, Netflix. This is amazing. Definitely getting an HBO Max subscription!

I don't think it will get our family out, but if it can be a beacon to the world and shine a light that keeps potential members out - that will be amazing!

YES maybe the next thread we can title it "the Way Down"!! Hahaha 

And yeah I was worried that the documentary would be derailed as well. I don't have any family in RF anymore. It was just me and my mom and daughter and we all left at the same time. But I still have dear friends that are just the sweetest people that I'd love to see the light so to speak. 

Also these chain of events have made me almost a believer in God again...or karma...or something! lol 

• Upvote 14

A lesson in Remnant math.

A woman who helps run the church day camp during last night’s service offered some participation numbers. There are, as a part of day camp:

About 165 local campers 

About 85 out-of-town campers  (BUT, when she added the first two numbers, she said it was 280 – and not what it actually is, 250!)

About 190 local and out-of-town junior counselors

About 60 counselors

7 full-time helpers

About 170 volunteers

About 70 “tagalongs” (little ones who come once weekly)

She reveals her calculator screen, and OMG!  It adds up to ...wait for it ... 777. And everyone is in awe and gets to their feet to clap because again, 7 is a sign that’s indicative of the “Seven in Heaven,” who lost their lives in the plane crash.

But, actually it really adds up to 747 (which also is a plane?!). And because she was estimating “about,” before each number, it’s not actually that at all!

Bless their hearts. And counting skills.

Edited by SayonaraLara
  • Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha 25
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

On 7/6/2021 at 11:23 AM, ElleHouston said:

His eyes are so dead. It’s like he’s not focused or zoning out. But if Gwen was my wife, I wouldn’t listen to her ass either. 

yes, joe did this alot. he would just zone out. it was very strange.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, SayonaraLara said:

A lesson in Remnant math.

A woman who helps run the church day camp during last night’s service offered some participation numbers. There are, as a part of day camp:

About 165 local campers 

About 85 out-of-town campers  (BUT, when she added the first two numbers, she said it was 280 – and not what it actually is, 250!)

About 190 local and out-of-town junior counselors

About 60 counselors

7 full-time helpers

About 170 volunteers

About 70 “tagalongs” (little ones who come once weekly)

She reveals her calculator screen, and OMG!  It adds up to ...wait for it ... 777. And everyone is in awe and gets to their feet to clap because again, 7 is a sign that’s indicative of the “Seven in Heaven,” who lost their lives in the plane crash.

But, actually it really adds up to 747 (which also is a plane?!). And because she was estimating “about,” before each number, it’s not actually that at all!

Bless their hearts. And counting skills.

I don't want to negate how truly wonderful it is when members of the youth volunteer... granted, I don't know if they are volunteering or being volun-told... but I like to see teens stepping up and spending their time giving back...

But if you have about 250 campers... what do you even DO with 427 helpers? Junior counselors + counselors + full time + volunteers... that's almost a 2 to 1 ratio of leaders to campers. Granted, I'm not counting the tagalongs... but still... 

I've volunteered pretty extensively in a VBS setting where full meals were even provided, and I think at BEST our volunteers numbered half that of the campers... and that was plenty. I really don't even know what we would have done with a 1 to 1 ratio, let alone even more...

EDIT - I feel silly - I guess you would get numbers like that if some volunteers only took a 1 day shift... but even then, counselors and junior counselors (who I would think would be there daily) are a 1:1 ratio to campers. Any former members have insight? Do they literally have a personal mentor? If so, how do they prioritize. Do out of town members get the more "all in" counselors to bring them more "all in?"

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 10

The Sacred Seven in Heaven have moved! 

The Meet Our Leaders site no longer has them list upfront!

Well.... actually they didn't move off the page. The Laras, Martins and Walters moved to the end of Leaders section. 

Edit to add That's what the page looked like yesterday and early this morning. When I checked just now to confirm, the Laras, Martins and Walters are gone, gone, gone. No In Memorium.  No nothin'.

Michael and Erin are the 4th photo and Brandon and Elizabeth are #5.  I guess Elizabeth doesn't have a solo photo yet, or doesn't intend to use one. They've added people to the Ministry Leaders and Ministry Assistants sections. 

I really am surprised they took Gwod etc. off the page.  I thought she and the others would remain leaders in absentia forever.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 16

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

The Sacred Seven in Heaven have moved! 

The Meet Our Leaders site no longer has them list upfront!

Well.... actually they didn't move off the page. The Laras, Martins and Walters moved to the end of Leaders section. 

Edit to add That's what the page looked like yesterday and early this morning. When I checked just now to confirm, the Laras, Martins and Walters are gone, gone, gone. No In Memorium.  No nothin'.

Michael and Erin are the 4th photo and Brandon and Elizabeth are #5.  I guess Elizabeth doesn't have a solo photo yet, or doesn't intend to use one. They've added people to the Ministry Leaders and Ministry Assistants sections. 

I really am surprised they took Gwod etc. off the page.  I thought she and the others would remain leaders in absentia forever.

I’m kind of wondering if they will do a little rebranding due to the documentary coming out. 

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, finacial ice said:

yes, joe did this alot. he would just zone out. it was very strange.

I attended a very small gathering one night with joe and gwen, Joe was very talkative in the beginning of the dinner party, but towards the end he completely "zoned out" didnt engage, speak, or laugh at all!! He wouldnt even respond, just sat there and stared off with a straight face, no emotion. I will never forget that, it was very odd and awkward, you could tell gwen was embarrassed and was trying to cover for him and not make it obvious. they left very soon after. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
No text speak, please.
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 9

5 hours ago, Blue said:

I don't want to negate how truly wonderful it is when members of the youth volunteer... granted, I don't know if they are volunteering or being volun-told... but I like to see teens stepping up and spending their time giving back...

But if you have about 250 campers... what do you even DO with 427 helpers? Junior counselors + counselors + full time + volunteers... that's almost a 2 to 1 ratio of leaders to campers. Granted, I'm not counting the tagalongs... but still... 

I've volunteered pretty extensively in a VBS setting where full meals were even provided, and I think at BEST our volunteers numbered half that of the campers... and that was plenty. I really don't even know what we would have done with a 1 to 1 ratio, let alone even more...

EDIT - I feel silly - I guess you would get numbers like that if some volunteers only took a 1 day shift... but even then, counselors and junior counselors (who I would think would be there daily) are a 1:1 ratio to campers. Any former members have insight? Do they literally have a personal mentor? If so, how do they prioritize. Do out of town members get the more "all in" counselors to bring them more "all in?"

Not sure if they have changed the summer camp program much since I was there but I went through almost all the stages. I was a camper, a junior counselor and a counselor. 

Few definitions:
Tagalongs: under 5

campers: 5 up thru middle school

junior counselors: high schoolers

counselors: 18+

I am surprised they are counting out of town campers. That is not something I remember. When I was in, I remember out of town kids coming in for a week and coming to camp. Also no clue how you are an out of town junior counselor. 

Tribes are assigned and each tribe has junior counselors and counselors assigned to them. Some people come every day, some come on day a week, some come for specific events (vet for teach about animals, water play day, etc). There were a lot of volunteers but there was a core and much smaller group who were there much more consistently. I would basically dedicate my summers to working at day camp and then work my summer job in the evenings and weekends.

Depending on who you were, you might be volune-told to be a jr counselor or counselor. If you had experiences that were helpful, worked well with kids, etc. I was told that by giving up my availability to work my paying job to serve God’s kingdom, I would be blessed. So heavy guilt there. However, many of my peers who were inner circle youth didn’t volunteer their whole summers at day camp. They would come the one main week, but not the rest of the weeks.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 12

4 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

Not sure if they have changed the summer camp program much since I was there but I went through almost all the stages. I was a camper, a junior counselor and a counselor. 

Few definitions:
Tagalongs: under 5

campers: 5 up thru middle school

junior counselors: high schoolers

counselors: 18+

I am surprised they are counting out of town campers. That is not something I remember. When I was in, I remember out of town kids coming in for a week and coming to camp. Also no clue how you are an out of town junior counselor. 

Tribes are assigned and each tribe has junior counselors and counselors assigned to them. Some people come every day, some come on day a week, some come for specific events (vet for teach about animals, water play day, etc). There were a lot of volunteers but there was a core and much smaller group who were there much more consistently. I would basically dedicate my summers to working at day camp and then work my summer job in the evenings and weekends.

Depending on who you were, you might be volune-told to be a jr counselor or counselor. If you had experiences that were helpful, worked well with kids, etc. I was told that by giving up my availability to work my paying job to serve God’s kingdom, I would be blessed. So heavy guilt there. However, many of my peers who were inner circle youth didn’t volunteer their whole summers at day camp. They would come the one main week, but not the rest of the weeks.

That makes sense then - you end up with probably every high school kid technically being counted as a junior counselor, while possibly only coming in a few times. Their "unique" math is still funny though. I was talking with my husband about it and he finally found a word that fits - apophenia - finding meaning that doesn't exist in circumstantial situations. Forgive me if someone has already mentioned it, but it was nice for me to have a word for the frustrating phenomenon. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6

1 minute ago, Blue said:

That makes sense then - you end up with probably every high school kid technically being counted as a junior counselor, while possibly only coming in a few times. Their "unique" math is still funny though. I was talking with my husband about it and he finally found a word that fits - apophenia - finding meaning that doesn't exist in circumstantial situations. Forgive me if someone has already mentioned it, but it was nice for me to have a word for the frustrating phenomenon. 

Exactly! I have a distinct memory of a peer of mine coming to day camp one time as a junior counselor only because her shift at her paying job got canceled and she had to drop off her siblings at day camp anyway. As the person who did the work, I remember getting so annoyed at her and thinking why did she even show up. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

2 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

Exactly! I have a distinct memory of a peer of mine coming to day camp one time as a junior counselor only because her shift at her paying job got canceled and she had to drop off her siblings at day camp anyway. As the person who did the work, I remember getting so annoyed at her and thinking why did she even show up. 

I would be annoyed too - especially if she was inner circle and got super praised for being so selfless... when in reality, she just had nothing better to do. Not that its bad to spend your spare time serving, but when you're the one that's there day in and day out... yeah...

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, finacial ice said:

I attended a very small gathering one night with joe and gwen, Joe was very talkative in the beginning of the dinner party, but towards the end he completely "zoned out" didnt engage, speak, or laugh at all!! He wouldnt even respond, just sat there and stared off with a straight face, no emotion. I will never forget that, it was very odd and awkward, you could tell gwen was embarrassed and was trying to cover for him and not make it obvious. they left very soon after. 

Hypnotics- prescribed for sleep disorders- can cause that zoned out state...and mental confusion when mixed with alcohol.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

If I had to listen to Gwen, perform like a trained monkey by doing things like crawling around like a dog all while she monitored how much food I ate, I would probably zone out too. Joe did this to himself and he seems to be a total asshole, but I bet life with Gwen was hell. He always looked miserable and I wouldn't be shocked if he had developed unhealthy coping mechanisms. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

I can't believe none of the saints question the level of luxury of the leaders. 

I don't know what you call the design style of Elizabeth's house but it looks stiff, cold, uncomfortable and dated.  Oh and expensive, very expensive.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 11

1 hour ago, RFIntrigued said:

This just in: Elizabeth and Brandon Hannah’s home for sale. 
https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/7827487

It looks like she's already moved out. That didn't take long. I wonder if, without Brandon's income, she couldn't keep it going? Obviously she would have inherited significant funds, but maybe paying on both her mom's house and her house was too much? 

• Upvote 4

I’m disgusted by extreme wealth built on the backs of cult followers who Gwen pushed to starve themselves and beat their kids. That mansion just turns my stomach. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 16

13 hours ago, finacial ice said:

48 minutes ago, RFapostate said:

Hypnotics- prescribed for sleep disorders- can cause that zoned out state...and mental confusion when mixed with alcohol.  

That's interesting - I was thinking whatever he'd taken had worn off. Or it could be something medical. But still that's strange to be fine in the middle and then zone out. 

Being an introvert I can understand it somewhat - I do tend to get some "people fatigue" over the course of an event and become less talkative, but "zoned out" is another level entirely. The only time I've actually seen that in person was when a friend's kid had a febrile seizure... she was sitting up fine but just totally non responsive and blank for a few minutes. (She was fine, it was a one time thing, and after getting checked out at the ER she was back to her normal self in a couple hours.)

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic