IGNORED

Voddie Baucham takes a turn driving the Wambulance of Christian Persecution

hoipolloi

21 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Yes in regards to The Return of the Daughters...but Jasmine did write her own separate book, "Joyfully at Home", that was published by VF.

Yes, I assumed that’s the book she’s talking about when she says:

”At 19, I wrote a book about how staying home before marriage was the best way to prepare to be a wife.”

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

It seems that Voddie’s new screed on CRT is peppered with plagiarism and false quotes attributed to his opponents.

Well, well, well. So Voddie's rant is based on lies and plagiarism. What surprise -- NOT. 

• Upvote 3

Not to mention that Voddie's shortly going to be speaking at a CrossPolitic conference on "The Politics of Sex".  Not the first time he's public aligned himself with Wilson.  

https://flfnetwork.com/politics-of-sex-conference/?fbclid=IwAR1Pk6B0Wr-kk9bFGfc4-ZIsgEn99FSIctaZF-wCrWKjs8UEbd_lmjEIRVc

He's gone on the CrossPolitic podcast before.  I hadn't previously noticed this, but Samaritan Ministries is a sponsor of CrossPolitic.  I wonder if the members realize that their contributions towards costs of the ministry include sponsorship of Wilson's platform.  I'd imagine there are some who wouldn't be thrilled with that.  

• Disgust 3

4 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

Not to mention that Voddie's shortly going to be speaking at a CrossPolitic conference on "The Politics of Sex".  Not the first time he's public aligned himself with Wilson. 

No better combination than Doug “protect the church pedophile” Wilson, and Voddie “men protect their families” Baucham. The coward. The hypocritical coward. 

I’ve never seen someone go down the Doug Wilson rabbit hole and become a better person for it. They always become spiteful, bitter, sarcastic, and angry. I shudder to think how much of Wilson’s trash Voddie’s feeding his students in Lusaka. I worry for his little daughter now. I’m glad she has Jasmine if she needs help or needs to get out.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

More evidence of Voddie’s lack of academic integrity. I don’t expect this will affect him in any way, but it’s amazing to see him so blatantly and shamelessly lie to his listeners like this. 

• Thank You 4

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Others have also been posting on Twitter. 

Gotta say, though, this particular comment may be spot on:

1959102118_WillVoddieSkateAgain.thumb.png.012594043efebc1ac79d8cc6ef51f43c.png

I’ve gone back and forth on that so much. On the one hand, no one cares that he hung out with skeevy, creepy, pro-Confederates, because so many of the big reformed men are equally skeevy, or carrying water for the worst of the worst. On the other hand, I’ve always been surprised that (to the best of my knowledge) he’s never once been questioned about that, or had it brought up. I hope that I’m able to avoid the consequences of my poor life choices as easily as Voddie. Absolutely nothing will happen to him as a result of his terrible scholarship. He’ll continue grifting money for his fancy new house in Lusaka, and talking about how he’s being canceled, and all the blame for the book will go to some research assistant or ghostwriter. 

I just realized, no wonder he’s starting to lean towards Doug Wilson. He plagiarizes up one side and down the other, and is untouchable at the head of his little kingdom. Birds of a feather. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Columbia said:

I just realized, no wonder he’s starting to lean towards Doug Wilson. He plagiarizes up one side and down the other, and is untouchable at the head of his little kingdom. Birds of a feather. 

I’ve often wondered whether the fascination some leaders seem to have for the Mullah of Moscow is aspirational. 

After all from their perspective he has a really sweet deal with - notionally - a bunch of businesses, an education system and a church denomination under his  control, plus an adoring audience kept in order by fear that’ll hang on his every word (and boy are there a lot of those).  

Edited by stylites
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Khendra said:

Phillip and Jasmine Holmes are getting attacked by this Reformed Baptist Karen on Twitter.  One of many reminders why I don't ever leave Lutheranism for the smug legalism of CalviBaptism:

https://twitter.com/AnnaGraceWood

Oooh, that poor wretched woman. This isn’t the first time she’s gone after them, either. I don’t know what it is about the 1689 confession, but it makes for a pretty good red flag, because I can count the number of kind, friendly reformed Baptists I’ve ever encountered on one hand. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Khendra said:

Phillip and Jasmine Holmes are getting attacked by this Reformed Baptist Karen on Twitter. 

I just visited her twitter page. 

Erma Gerd!  "Mark and avoid" her toxic cesspool of idiocy. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

I just visited her twitter page. 

Given her cheering for Death-Santis of FL, I'm guessing she's also anti-vax.

If so, perhaps she'll be rewarded for her beliefs.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

If so, perhaps she'll be rewarded for her beliefs.

Yup, she's in the f*ck around and find out stage. 

Edited by Howl
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Not a fan of Voddie's long patriarchal beard.  It's like Voddie is all, "In case you had any questions about my theological stance..." 

Things must be heating up on social media: 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

this might be a reach but all of these conservative reformed types attacking jasmine because she does not share her dads beliefs makes me think they have a parasocial relationship with him (voddie). Like they think they can mouth off at his daughter on twitter and get upset at the fact that she doesn't share his views because of some special connection they have with voddie that exists only in their heads. Jasmine is a 30ish year old woman. she shouldn't be expected to hold her fathers view on every single issue. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, CaseyGrace said:

this might be a reach but all of these conservative reformed types attacking jasmine because she does not share her dads beliefs makes me think they have a parasocial relationship with him (voddie). 

They also hold to bauchams teachings, and her existence as someone who was inside the fold and is now no longer is a data point that they don’t ‘work’.  

• Upvote 6

What’s ironic about people going after Jasmine - she has talked about how her parents taught her in homeschool how to look at things critically and research. So, she did that with the beliefs she was raised in, and came to a different conclusion. So she literally did what her parents instructed her to do and people are pissed at her for it. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

38 minutes ago, G33kywife said:

So, she did that with the beliefs she was raised in, and came to a different conclusion.

She has mentioned on her public IG that after marriage, she joined her husband's church, which is PCA. Nothing unusual or rebellious in doing so. Voddie is still Baptist, with all of the "ecumenism" and open-minded worldview characteristic of that denomination.

The WaPo recently reported that Voddie's publisher is pushing back on the allegations of plagiarism:

Baucham, a former pastor and dean of the school of divinity at African Christian University in Zambia, did not respond to a request for comment....

His publisher said McDurmon’s accusations were more about style differences than plagiarism.

“The blogger’s claims of poor documentation and plagiarism in  Fault Lines  are not well-founded. McDurmon’s weak argument is based on his preference for quoting in an academic style of documentation and formatting, rather than the Chicago Manual of Style, which is the standard for popular-level works published not only by Salem Books but also for most of our peer publishers in the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association,” Peterson said in an email statement to Religion News Service.

“It is common for academics to write both popular-level works and academic works and use different documentation styles accordingly. It is unreasonable for McDurmon to demand academic documentation in a popular work and it undermines his overall critique of Baucham’s assessment of Critical Race Theory.”

Yeah, right. It's a matter of stylistic differences. 

These people can't even tell convincing lies. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I'm sure Jasmine's tweet was in response to the plagiarism/false quote issue.  It's disappointing that she even has to say what she did.  She's his daughter, not him, and people shouldn't be trying to get her to take sides, either publicly or privately.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

I'm sure Jasmine's tweet was in response to the plagiarism/false quote issue.  It's disappointing that she even has to say what she did.  She's his daughter, not him, and people shouldn't be trying to get her to take sides, either publicly or privately.  

In general I'd agree - but again, is Joyfully at Home still in print?

1 hour ago, stylites said:

In general I'd agree - but again, is Joyfully at Home still in print?

Not that I'm aware of - doesn't look like it on Amazon.  It looks like it's just used versions still available.  And she also addressed Joyfully at Home: https://jasminelholmes.com/regrets-of-staying-home/

But that's also her addressing her own work.  It's not her job to address his work.  It's his.  It's not her fault that he plagiarized and misquoted, and for people to go to his family members to try to get them to answer for what he's done isn't cool, IMO.  

Edited by Sarcastically spinster
riffles
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

It's not her job to address his work.  It's his.

Agree. Judging from her pubic IG, she is open and very scrupulous about sourcing information for her own work. 

That her father can't do the same despite being asked is just shameful but it's all on him. 

1 hour ago, stylites said:

is Joyfully at Home still in print?

No. It was published by VF which went out of business after the Fall of the Tool in 2013. AFAIK, no other publisher has picked it up for distribution. Also, as noted above, Jasmine has publicly disavowed the book. 

3 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

I'm sure Jasmine's tweet was in response to the plagiarism/false quote issue. 

Was it? Thought that her tweets were in response to that asshat Baptist woman who has previously gone off on Jasmine & Phillip for "straying" from Voddie's beliefs. The irony is that the asshat probably gets upset with anyone who brings up Voddie's plagiarism.

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Was it? Thought that her tweets were in response to that asshat Baptist woman who has previously gone off on Jasmine & Phillip for "straying" from Voddie's beliefs. The irony is that the asshat probably gets upset with anyone who brings up Voddie's plagiarism.

Maybe, but the plagiarism/false quote issue has been all over Twitter and it's been picked up by WaPo, Relevant Magazine, and others.  It's big enough that Voddie directly responded.  I can't imagine she hasn't had people asking her about it.  At this point it's a significant controversy.  That's probably a bigger deal to her than a random Twitter user going off.  

Her husband recently posted something about blocking people, and that's more likely about that woman.  

• Upvote 2