IGNORED

Dillards 89: I'd Watch a Netflix Xpecial and so Would My Mom

HerNameIsBuffy

In a not too recent Q and A ( I think it was last Fall) remember Jill mentioning not having been in the TTH in 2 years, but she has seen the folks at her brothers’ weddings earlier this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

Michelle has been to Jill's house and they've attended the same lunches out with other sisters.  

• Upvote 9

I feel bad for the Dillards if Derrick did attempt the bar but failed. I remember when my spouse took the CPA exams and it was nerve-wracking each time we were waiting for results. He ended up passing all of them but some of his classmates did not. As a wife who watched him study for hours on end for months, it felt really personal to me and we didn't even have a kid then. I imagine it is a similar experience for the bar exam except I know the logistical process is much different.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

31 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

I feel bad for the Dillards if Derrick did attempt the bar but failed. I remember when my spouse took the CPA exams and it was nerve-wracking each time we were waiting for results. He ended up passing all of them but some of his classmates did not. As a wife who watched him study for hours on end for months, it felt really personal to me and we didn't even have a kid then. I imagine it is a similar experience for the bar exam except I know the logistical process is much different.

I failed the Bar the first time I took it, 2.5 weeks after my dad died. I was just too raw but I did come within .5 of a point of passing the Essay portion.

The second time I took it, I left my house four times in the month of July. My husband still talks about me studying while i cooked, did laundry and most everything else. I recited elements of everything, always starting with my left little finger. I went to bed reciting stuff; I woke up reciting stuff.

Got to the first question on the Essay portion and was sure I failed it again. Took a deep breath, read the second question and knew that cold, so I started with it, then went back to the first one and came up with an answer.

Edited by sixcatatty
  • Upvote 22
  • Love 16

48 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

When is the next sitting? It may be he didn’t take it and decided to have a break over the summer with the family.

February. 

I think he took the exam. They took their vacation in early August, right after the bar was held in the last week of July.

• Upvote 2

There's no shame in failing the bar the first or even second time around. No shame the third time either, though at that point a person might reconsider either their study habits or their career. I'm rooting for him.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 23

There is no way bar results are posted this soon for July exams.  It takes at least two months to grade them. 

Edited to add: I guess AR is faster than TN was.  I had to wait until early to mid October to find out if I passed. 

Edited by TN-peach
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, TN-peach said:

There is no way bar results are posted this soon for July exams.  It takes at least two months to grade them. 

Edited to add: I guess AR is faster than TN was.  I had to wait until early to mid October to find out if I passed. 

The wait must have been horrible.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

The wait must have been horrible.

Yes. It is. You have to wait three months to find out if the last three years have been successful.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

When I took my vet boards I had to wait 2 months. The results came out when I was at a job interview and although I said I wasn't going to look til that night I had to pull over to check them on my drive home. The thought of having to go through that prep again was despair inducing.

I hope he passes the bar in February.

• Upvote 3

North Carolina bar exam results are delayed due to marking issues. The law schools were informed but not the candidates! (I only know this as my goddaughter sat in NC and is anxiously awaiting her results.)

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, livinginthelight said:

There's no shame in failing the bar the first or even second time around. No shame the third time either, though at that point a person might reconsider either their study habits or their career. I'm rooting for him.

My understanding is that it's fairly common to fail the first or even second time. I looked up JFK Jr., because he failed twice, and found this:

https://testmaxprep.com/blog/bar-exam/top-10-famous-figures-who-failed-the-bar-exam-barmax-mpre-review

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

https://www.arcourts.gov/sites/default/files/press-release-bar-exam-july-2021.pdf

Derick Dillard did not pass the July 2021 bar exam for Arkansas, per the posting at the Arkansas courts website. It seems likely that he sat for that exam, but alas, he will have to take it in February. 

I get that he wants to go to law school but he has an accounting degree, he could get a really good job doing accounting at any business (don't know why he choose Walmart originally) Instead he's budgeting through law school to not even pass. There's no shame to it, but why when you could be making good money with a degree he already has and maybe let Jill take some classes if she wanted to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Confused 5

He already has a degree from an accredited institution. I really wish the last three years had been spent paying for Jill to study nursing. She could be an RN by now. 

She has had so few real opportunities to learn and she did everything possibly allowed, academically,  for herself, under the Gothardism regime. I wish she could have been enrolled at the local college, finally getting certified training instead of her hubby getting another degree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • I Agree 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, livinginthelight said:

I’m not rooting for him. He’s most likely going to use his law degree to advocate for Christian fundamentalism - I want him to stay as far away from the law as possible. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Because out of all the Duggar families I think the Dillards have a chance to keep moving away from fundamentalism. If they are generally successful and happy, it shows the siblings that god is not punishing them for it. If they fail, that may be a huge backslide.

Also I'm not petty and I feel bad for the stress of prepping for any exam like that. This extends to anybody who is taking the bar, not just Derick because I don't care more about him than anyone else. He could do a lot of bad as a lawyer but he could do a lot of good if he advocates for people who were exploited like Jill. TBD.

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 8

3 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

https://www.arcourts.gov/sites/default/files/press-release-bar-exam-july-2021.pdf

Derick Dillard did not pass the July 2021 bar exam for Arkansas, per the posting at the Arkansas courts website. It seems likely that he sat for that exam, but alas, he will have to take it in February. 

I would hate to be a public figure and have my stuff so wide open. I would hate that I failed to be published. I wouldn’t care if it was me though, because I’m not famous and no one would be looking. If that makes sense. 

• Upvote 12

5 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

He already has a degree from an accredited institution. I really wish the last three years had been spent paying for Jill to study nursing. She could be an RN by now. 

She has had so few real opportunities to learn and she did everything possibly allowed, academically,  for herself, under the Gothardism regime. I wish she could have been enrolled at the local college, finally getting certified training instead of her hubby getting another degree. 

Doesn't EVERYONE at law school already have a degree from an accredited institution? I don't know why ANYONE wants to be a lawyer to begin with. Isn't it one of the degrees with the most under/unemployment post-grad?

BUT ...They have had pre-schoolers and then an early grade-schooler at home. Even people who were allowed to pursue good educations often choose for mom to be home in that phase of life. If she wanted to then great, but I would personally never have traded my kids teeny years for career training. It's not like she's 45 and running out of time. Is she even 30? She's still got plenty of time. Honestly, It really looks like Jill has been putting a lot of work into therapy in the last few years and that's better time spent than trying to move into a career without first dealing with all that family trauma and baggage. She's likely to have a greater chance at success in furthering her education later if she chooses to having learned some good coping mechanisms and healthy boundaries. I think it would be great for their family and for her if she did get a degree or certification in some sort of field she's interested in. Only time will tell if that happens. 

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

Jill turned 30 in May. I'm not sure she could handle nursing school. The School of the dining room table may not have properly prepared for nursing school, which can be quite rigorous. 

She has plenty of years to go back to school. If she wants to become a nurse, she could start now.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Jill turned 30 in May. I'm not sure she could handle nursing school. The School of the dining room table may not have properly prepared for nursing school, which can be quite rigorous. 

She has plenty of years to go back to school. If she wants to become a nurse, she could start now.

Michaela Keilen is now a nurse, so perhaps SOTDRT isn't a dis qualifier.

18 hours ago, patsymae said:

My understanding is that it's fairly common to fail the first or even second time. I looked up JFK Jr., because he failed twice, and found this:

https://testmaxprep.com/blog/bar-exam/top-10-famous-figures-who-failed-the-bar-exam-barmax-mpre-review

ABA accredited schools had an 83% pass rate in 2020.  I don't know that many people outside California who have not passed the first time. The CA bar was ridiculous- two days and super hard. But CA also allows people who did not go to law school to take it! I know very few people here who have had not passed the first time; we had a recent grad hired in  anticipation of passing in October a few years ago. She failed,   and that was the first time in 20 years at my job I have known of a staffer hired as an attorney failed. We have a California lawyer who had to take the CA bar twice (but passed the local one easily) and a couple of graduates hired as paralegals because they went to scammy for profit law schools and could not pass due to the quality of the education and prep they received.  Sometimes it is just the pressure and testing panic. I know that was case with my friend at work - she is incredibly smart and went to Yale undergrad.  The pressure just got to her.

• Upvote 4

I’m a horrible test taker if it’s a timed test. I’m very easily distracted so I have to read questions over and over. I’m sure I would fail many timed tests after doing well in college. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic