IGNORED

Dillards 89: I'd Watch a Netflix Xpecial and so Would My Mom

HerNameIsBuffy

I know that they are mixing vaccinations here in Europe too. I work as a flight attendant and we've been told to avoid mixing vaccinations in case some countrys will not allow it, especially if it is a mix with astra Zeneca. The main concern was the US actually, because there apparently have been talks that it will not be counted as a full vaccination and crew might not be allowed to enter.

I don't know how valid it is, so far we have not heard anything official yet, but I was always a bit on the fence on getting AZ, just because I know it's not one that is used in the US, and I don't wanna be banned from flying there. Doubt it will happen, but you never know.

I ended up getting Pfizer, first shot 4 weeks ago,second shot tomorrow, hope it will be as chill as the first one..

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

I'm based in the UK and have had both jabs with AstraZeneca however there is now talk of a booster jab in the autumn for those more vulnerable. Given the recent research and trials into mixing vaccines I wouldn't be surprised if I got one of the other types for this, given my age. I got stickers for both visits, which I think is the standard round here. Felt a bit annoyed when I discovered that there had been a drop in van next door to my apartment building last month, a few days after I'd had to go quite a distance for my second jab. Didn't seem to be much uptake either, perhaps not enough awareness of the presence. 

• Upvote 5

My husband got an AZ first because then he could get it about 6 weeks earlier than if we waited for Pfizer or Moderna. I was not eligable for AZ because I am pregnant. This week he decided to take Pfizer for a second jab instead of his second AZ that was planned. 

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 6

On masks and pregnancy: I got pregnant in November 2019. Got three bad colds in my first four months of pregnancy and was miserable with no meds. Then lockdowns and mask mandates started in March and I was healthy as a horse for the remainder of my pregnancy. 

I will happily wear masks again the next time I’m pregnant even if (fingers crossed!!) COVID is nothing but a horrible memory by then. 

• Upvote 11

Oh no Jill is asking if she should get "dreadlocks" on instagram. Please no.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5

16 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Oh no Jill is asking if she should get "dreadlocks" on instagram. Please no.

Agreed! I think it's good that she's getting to experiment with her hair in a way she wasn't able to when she was younger, but dreadlocks should be a definite no. Of all the inspiration pics she posted, I think the red would be her best option.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

Ugh Jill... can we not?  If your hair isn’t a specific curl pattern and texture (and yours is not Jill), they’re not meant for you.   

• Upvote 8

I got AZ as my first shot in April as that was all that was available for my age group. I got my Moderna as my second shot in June. I say I’m a Meritage! 

• Upvote 1

I think the red would look really nice on Jill. I hope she doesn’t go for the dreadlocks or the ugly perm.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JuanitaBanana said:

I think the red hair would look great on her and she could get one or 2 dreadlocks just for fun. 

I actually could see her in dreads, but I like the red the best and like you said maybe one or two for fun. 

• Upvote 3

Most of the poll results and comments are against the locs, thankfully. 

• Thank You 1

I’m assuming that Derick will be taking the bar exam next week (July 27-28.) Last year, Arkansas had an 80% pass rate for the July exam and the results were available the first week of September. As far as I know, Derick and Jill haven’t hinted about any job news for Derick beside some vague aspirations awhile ago. Fall should be an interesting “season of life” for them.

• Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I’m assuming that Derick will be taking the bar exam next week (July 27-28.) Last year, Arkansas had an 80% pass rate for the July exam and the results were available the first week of September. As far as I know, Derick and Jill haven’t hinted about any job news for Derick beside some vague aspirations awhile ago. Fall should be an interesting “season of life” for them.

He probably had a law clerk/intern job with either a local firm or a government agency during his final year of law school. Most third-year law students work part-time. The expectation is that if you're any good at all, the firm where you're clerking will offer you a job. It's also possible he might have a judge's clerkship lined up once he passes the bar. Clerkships are prestigious and good training, though they don't pay as well as private practice. I don't have any concerns about him finding a job, though his prospects would be broader if they moved to Little Rock. However, the first year of practice will be a huge adjustment, with long hours and a lot of on the job training. 

At the moment, he's probably taking time off work to study for the bar. The two months or so of bar prep are intense.  Most students attend bar prep courses and take practice tests.

I'm curious as to what he plans to specialize in. At one point, he seemed to be interested in public defender work. Given his accounting background, he would be a good fit for corporate or tax law, which is far more lucrative.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

Wherever Derek works, I hope that they keep it quiet. I can't see any law firms or government being excited about hiring someone who is better known than your normal law school graduate.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 13

On 7/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, postscript said:

He probably had a law clerk/intern job with either a local firm or a government agency during his final year of law school. Most third-year law students work part-time. The expectation is that if you're any good at all, the firm where you're clerking will offer you a job. It's also possible he might have a judge's clerkship lined up once he passes the bar. Clerkships are prestigious and good training, though they don't pay as well as private practice. I don't have any concerns about him finding a job, though his prospects would be broader if they moved to Little Rock. However, the first year of practice will be a huge adjustment, with long hours and a lot of on the job training. 

At the moment, he's probably taking time off work to study for the bar. The two months or so of bar prep are intense.  Most students attend bar prep courses and take practice tests.

I'm curious as to what he plans to specialize in. At one point, he seemed to be interested in public defender work. Given his accounting background, he would be a good fit for corporate or tax law, which is far more lucrative.  

If he was planning to take the first available bar exam after graduation, he just finished it, since the summer Arkansas bar exam was administered July 27 and 28 in Little Rock. He would have had to register in April and it looks like the results will be announced in September. If he didn't think he'd be ready by this week, or wasn't ready to pay the $1000 exam fee, his next chance is February 2022.

He posted a "Day in the Life of a Law Student" post to Instagram in June, a month after he graduated, so he may well have been planning to take the July exam, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce anything about the bar until September and he gets the results back, assuming he did take it and passes it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

If he was planning to take the first available bar exam after graduation, he just finished it, since the summer Arkansas bar exam was administered July 27 and 28 in Little Rock. He would have had to register in April and it looks like the results will be announced in September. If he didn't think he'd be ready by this week, or wasn't ready to pay the $1000 exam fee, his next chance is February 2022.

He posted a "Day in the Life of a Law Student" post to Instagram in June, a month after he graduated, so he may well have been planning to take the July exam, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce anything about the bar until September and he gets the results back, assuming he did take it and passes it.

I assume he took the bar. By this point, most law students just want to get it over with. There’s a mental letdown in delaying until February. He would find it hard to pick back up after the time off. 

I also don’t expect them to announce until after he gets his results. While I don’t think he’ll have an issue passing, it can be embarrassing, even for someone not in the public eye, to announce you’ve taken the bar and then have to tell people you failed (remember JFK Jr. failing more than once?). Easier just to announce after the fact. I expect a proud photo holding the letter and another proud photo at his swearing in. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

The Dillard family is vacationing in Oregon! They are in Seaside on the northern Oregon Coast. I wonder how they chose Oregon? It's beautiful there but the water isn't warm!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

32 minutes ago, Letgo said:

The Dillard family is vacationing in Oregon! They are in Seaside on the northern Oregon Coast. I wonder how they chose Oregon? It's beautiful there but the water isn't warm!

I spent ten days on the Oregon Coast with my family last month. We packed everything we would need for days at the beach- towels, a beach umbrella, swimsuits, a cooler, etc... We didn't use ANY of what we packed because it was too cold and windy the entire time. In the middle of July!

We still had a great time, though- I went agate hunting every day and spent hours playing fetch with my dog in the sand since dogs can be off leash on Oregon beaches. Got to watch beautiful sunsets every night too!

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

Remember when Derek was first working with that outreach group on campus and Jill started wearing pants and everyone said it was probably just so she could seem relatable to the heathens? Now they're a pants-wearing, vaccinated, public-school family vacationing in Oregon.

I don't know, man, I'm not saying it's super likely, I'm just saying I would not be totally shocked  if, in 5-10 years, they have only one more kid (maybe two so it has a close age sibling), live out in the PNW where Jill works as a doula or an actual qualified midwife and are going to an open and affirming church with a queer lady pastor completely ostracized by their entire family and talking about how they evolved on a podcast with Nadia Boltz-Weber......

• Upvote 17
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 3

This sounds absolutely lovely!

20 hours ago, indianabones said:

We still had a great time, though- I went agate hunting every day and spent hours playing fetch with my dog in the sand since dogs can be off leash on Oregon beaches. Got to watch beautiful sunsets every night too!

This sounds absolutely lovely!

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Jill and Derick are now friends with Zac and Tori Roloff. They chilled around a beach fire and ate s'mores. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Some of the shots reminded me of The Goonies. I was so tempted to leave a comment Hey you GUYS…..!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, that’s less than two hours from me. Sort of tempting, but not really, although if I’d happened to be there anyway and saw them, it’d sure have been a surprise.

The key to warm weather at the northern Oregon coast is a super hot day east of the Coast Range, with hot east winds blowing down the Columbia Gorge. Even then it’s not a guarantee that it’ll be warm in Seaside, but it’s a much higher chance.

• Upvote 2

I guess it makes sense they would be friends with the Roloffs. We know the Roloffs are christian. They aren’t fundie but they are Christian. And they both grew up on TLC. So they have some stuff in common. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic