IGNORED

Dillards 89: I'd Watch a Netflix Xpecial and so Would My Mom

HerNameIsBuffy

I had my first AZ six weeks ago, as soon as I’d recovered from the cancer treatment (radiotherapy burns were terrible). Two weeks later the government announced that my age group could get Pfizer. But since you’ve got to wait many weeks for an appointment for Pfizer and Sydney’s in lockdown I’m glad I’ve had the AZ.  Instead of a 12 week wait we can have our second one from six weeks so I’m booked in next week. :)  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

I got my AZ shot six weeks ago - I'd have preferred Pfizer, but it just wasn't available then - and was set to get my second AZ shot at the end of August. However, recommendations here in Germany changed because of the delta variant quickly spreading, so I got a my second shot yesterday, and it was Pfizer (now finally available). Which should give me as much protection as a double Pfizer shot, at least according to the early studies.
So yay! I'm just so happy to finally have both my shots!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

Are they mixing vaccines outside the US? I got moderna (first choice but was willing to take others) but I thought you had to have two from the same manufacturer?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, Percy said:

No lollies or sticker for me, but I am glad to be vaccinated, given how hard it is to get one here.

I got my Pfizer shots in the spring and, while I would have taken a sticker as a memento (there were none), I was more than happy to get the shots and not be allergic to them.  The staff were really nice too.  I find it pathetic that people need to be bribed with chances at college educations, etc. in order to do the safe thing for themselves and others.

I'm worried about Delta.  It's in the DC area, though still not the dominant strain, but I think that's just a matter of time.  My best guess is we'll be much better off with boosters that cover variants, sooner the better.

Here's an example of how stupid and obnoxious people can be:  I was at a large-chain optical department a few days ago and ended up going to two stores, same chain, due to my own forgetfulness.  At the first optical department the staff wore masks and gloves.  At the second, there were four employees behind the counter and two had their masks on under their noses, one was masked properly, and the last had no mask.  Of course when my turn came I got the woman without a mask.  She took my glasses (no gloves), touched the lenses and got her prints all over them, then wanted me to sit in front of her so she could check the fit.  I told her I'm worried about COVID and would she please put on a mask, gloves, and clean the glasses before I put them on.  She replied that the store policy regarding safety precautions had changed and she wasn't going to go "against" the store policy; i.e., she wasn't going to put on a mask or gloves.  She did clean the lenses, which I later cleaned myself before putting them on, I got tf out of there, and will never, ever, ever use that particular optical department again or recommend them to anyone.  This completely validated my choice to wear a mask while shopping as well as my belief that evolution has failed in a number of ways.

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3

On 7/16/2021 at 3:35 PM, JMO said:

I didn't get a sticker either, although I got a tiny coronvirus badge added to my work ID to show that I'm vaccinated.  But I got vaccinated early since I work in a hospital system.  I try to think of that as my reward.  I almost stole my husband's sticker, lol.  I'm looking forward to my kids getting vaccinated this winter.  I hate having to worry about them.  At least their school announced that they will still require masks this coming school year.  

I am seriously hoping my kids can get theirs sooner rather than later. They're in the 2-11 category and I seriously want them (and the other 2-11s in my family) protected NOW! Especially with the delta/lambda variants and two new babies in the family within a year. I'm worried now because I don't know if my son's school will be masking or not in the fall, though they were extremely careful last year.

27 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Here's an example of how stupid and obnoxious people can be:  I was at a large-chain optical department a few days ago and ended up going to two stores, same chain, due to my own forgetfulness.  At the first optical department the staff wore masks and gloves.  At the second, there were four employees behind the counter and two had their masks on under their noses, one was masked properly, and the last had no mask.  Of course when my turn came I got the woman without a mask.  She took my glasses (no gloves), touched the lenses and got her prints all over them, then wanted me to sit in front of her so she could check the fit.  I told her I'm worried about COVID and would she please put on a mask, gloves, and clean the glasses before I put them on.  She replied that the store policy regarding safety precautions had changed and she wasn't going to go "against" the store policy; i.e., she wasn't going to put on a mask or gloves.  She did clean the lenses, which I later cleaned myself before putting them on, I got tf out of there, and will never, ever, ever use that particular optical department again or recommend them to anyone.  This completely validated my choice to wear a mask while shopping as well as my belief that evolution has failed in a number of ways.

I'm still not over the woman who came into my job to pick up something she'd ordered ahead of time and kept yanking her mask down (at the time we required, and had big signs saying, that you had to keep your mouth and nose covered). When I asked her to pull it back up for the second time, she told me that she had to keep pulling it down because she was pregnant and she had bad nausea. I think I actually just stood there for a second and stared, because seriously, pregnancy knocks down your immune system and you're not only coming inside to pick up something we'd have happily brought out to you but you're not wearing your protection?? Some of the decisions people are making regarding masking make no sense.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

49 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

Are they mixing vaccines outside the US? I got moderna (first choice but was willing to take others) but I thought you had to have two from the same manufacturer?

Yeah, they are. It started with the concerns about AZ - all the younger people who’d already gotten their first AZ shot earlier this year (mainly healthcare workers and educators) were told to switch to Moderna or Pfizer for their second shot. 
I wondered about the effectiveness as well, but all the studies so far seem to indicate it works as well or even better than sticking with AZ for the second shot.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

20 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Yeah, they are. It started with the concerns about AZ - all the younger people who’d already gotten their first AZ shot earlier this year (mainly healthcare workers and educators) were told to switch to Moderna or Pfizer for their second shot. 
I wondered about the effectiveness as well, but all the studies so far seem to indicate it works as well or even better than sticking with AZ for the second shot.

Interesting. We don’t even have AZ here so I’m not as familiar with any issues. This does seem like a good way to get more people covered quickly 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I am seriously hoping my kids can get theirs sooner rather than later. They're in the 2-11 category and I seriously want them (and the other 2-11s in my family) protected NOW! Especially with the delta/lambda variants and two new babies in the family within a year. I'm worried now because I don't know if my son's school will be masking or not in the fall, though they were extremely careful last year.

I'm still not over the woman who came into my job to pick up something she'd ordered ahead of time and kept yanking her mask down (at the time we required, and had big signs saying, that you had to keep your mouth and nose covered). When I asked her to pull it back up for the second time, she told me that she had to keep pulling it down because she was pregnant and she had bad nausea. I think I actually just stood there for a second and stared, because seriously, pregnancy knocks down your immune system and you're not only coming inside to pick up something we'd have happily brought out to you but you're not wearing your protection?? Some of the decisions people are making regarding masking make no sense.

I was shocked the first time I wore a mask in public when pregnant and it made me gag so bad that I had to step aside and rip it off to compose myself before putting it back on and continuing on. I was 8-9 weeks and had not left the house since 4-5 weeks except for socially distant, outdoor walks and therefore had not worn a mask for almost a month. The nausea had started at week 7. Now I sympathize with those who claim their gagging reflex gets activated when wearing a facial mask - I totally get that now!

And yes, according to my OB: pregnant people are not more likely to get sick (in other words, their immune systems are not suppressed as I had imagined), but the ability to fight off infection when ill is decreased. You also have to avoid taking certain medications that would help you feel better, which makes even the common cold miserable, so this pregnant lady is happy to be both fully vaccinated and protected from all sorts of germs by wearing a mask in public. Thankfully, the nausea has mostly passed now that baby is halfway baked.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Chiming in because I work on a nationwide Covid study as my ft job. I have been noticing trends in which vaccine is going to which age group recently. And also which ones seem to be suddenly arriving over here in the UK. 

I had to hustle to get my vaccine and got repeatedly rejected from local vaxx clinics even though I was willing to get there any time at short notice. Finally managed to get my first dose back in April actually on my birthday. A local pharmacy had 5 spares and there were 4 of us waiting. It was my only and best gift this year - no sticker but I did get a hilarious selfie with the nurse! 

Had my second dose late June. Both AZ. Felt not-great the day after the first one and had a headache for a week. Nothing from the second dose. 

It infuriates me that people need to be incentivised to get this vaccine and the nonsense they believe/spread. 

• Upvote 13

5 hours ago, BensAllergies said:

I was shocked the first time I wore a mask in public when pregnant and it made me gag so bad that I had to step aside and rip it off to compose myself before putting it back on and continuing on. I was 8-9 weeks and had not left the house since 4-5 weeks except for socially distant, outdoor walks and therefore had not worn a mask for almost a month. The nausea had started at week 7. Now I sympathize with those who claim their gagging reflex gets activated when wearing a facial mask - I totally get that now!

And yes, according to my OB: pregnant people are not more likely to get sick (in other words, their immune systems are not suppressed as I had imagined), but the ability to fight off infection when ill is decreased. You also have to avoid taking certain medications that would help you feel better, which makes even the common cold miserable, so this pregnant lady is happy to be both fully vaccinated and protected from all sorts of germs by wearing a mask in public. Thankfully, the nausea has mostly passed now that baby is halfway baked.

I didn't notice any increase in nausea wearing a mask, but mine isn't usually bad to start with, which might make a difference. Either way, I still don't get not wanting to protect yourself; I still wear a mask and I've been fully vaccinated for several weeks.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Interesting. We don’t even have AZ here so I’m not as familiar with any issues. This does seem like a good way to get more people covered quickly 

I’m mixed vaccinated as well. AZ for my first dose and Moderna for my second. I was originally supposed to get Pfizer for my second but switched because we had shipping delays of the Pfizer. A lot of adults switched to make sure that kids could get vaccinated since they can only get Pfizer. I’m hoping that by fall vaccines will be approved for younger kids. My daughter won’t be 2 until December so we need to wait for infant dose approval but the more vaccinated, the better. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Wearing a mask while dealing with morning sickness was awful for me. After vomiting in my mask a few times I decided I just had to pull it down sometimes. I did not have bad nausea otherwise.

Also wore one during labor and it was nothing compared to early pregnancy.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

21 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Here, they are missing Moderns and Pfizer depending on what is available (plus Astra Seneca and either Moderna or Pfizer). I got Pfizer for both doses though.

• Thank You 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, purple_summer said:

i got both Pfizer shots first and last choice 

and i got tons of stickers. 

One set are on my cell phone 

one set are stuck at the plastic thing at the office

and the rest are at home....

and i was so sick the 2nd dose for the entire weekend

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, nst said:

i got both Pfizer shots first and last choice 

and i got tons of stickers. 

One set are on my cell phone 

one set are stuck at the plastic thing at the office

and the rest are at home....

and i was so sick the 2nd dose for the entire weekend

I have been laid up on bed since yesterday after my second dose. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

On 7/17/2021 at 6:02 PM, BensAllergies said:

I could not have worn a mask when pregnant. I threw up 6-10 times a day as it was. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

37 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I have been laid up on bed since yesterday after my second dose. 

i feel you. last weekend was just horrid, everything from aches, to nausea, pain, sleeping for 2 days...all of it 

but good as new by last Monday ! and you will be too!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

It's actually kind of shocking that they're mixing vaccines, especially since AZ is not an mRNA vaccine like Pfizer & Moderna. But I'm not a scientist so what do I know. 

Luckily, I got Moderna about 2 months ago. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1

I live in Canada and got AZ for my first shot and Moderna for the second. I will feel so much better when my 8 year old can get the shot.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

It's actually kind of shocking that they're mixing vaccines, especially since AZ is not an mRNA vaccine like Pfizer & Moderna. But I'm not a scientist so what do I know. 

Luckily, I got Moderna about 2 months ago. 

Apparently the research shows that protection is at least as good, if not better, when AZ is mixed with an mRNA vaccine and Pfizer and Moderna are so similar that they are interchangeable. I guess much remains to be seen with the variants. 
We also need to get everyone over 12 in the developing world vaccinated. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

I'm `naively hopeful that all these Olympians getting covid will show some who are on the fence that even if you are young and healthy, this can affect you and you should get vaccinated.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'm `naively hopeful that all these Olympians getting covid will show some who are on the fence that even if you are young and healthy, this can affect you and you should get vaccinated.

To b e fair, elite athletes get sick at the drop of a hat.  It has something to do with either their finely tuned diet for elite performance, or the amount of exercise, or both.  I can't remember which.

• Thank You 1

20 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I think it would also be a more effective motivation if any of them got really sick (not that I wish that on any of the athletes). So far I've heard of several that have tested positive, but none that have had serious illness. I also haven't seen anything saying how many of the positives were vaccinated, but it is possible to test positive even when fully vaccinated. That might have the opposite effect. People would say "see, they got vaccinated and still got it, so what's the point?" ignoring the fact that it doesn't fully prevent getting COVID, but it does do a pretty damn good job of keeping you from dying. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

On 7/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Here, they are missing Moderns and Pfizer depending on what is available (plus Astra Seneca and either Moderna or Pfizer). I got Pfizer for both doses though.

Also Canadian, and they are doing this type of mixing where I am as well.

I was vaccinated early on because of health conditions and we had a lot of Pfizer doses available at that point, so that’s what I got for both doses.

DP had to wait longer, though still earlier than he would have been for his age alone, because he is my primary caregiver. He got Pfizer for his first dose, but by the time he got his second dose we had way more Moderna available and they were (are still in my city) saving all Pfizer doses for the age 12-17 set because that’s the only one approved by Health Canada for that age group at the moment.

Two of our three small humans are in the 12-17 set and both have had two doses of Pfizer.

As for side effects… After dose #1 I had a sore arm and nothing else much, but after dose #2 I felt like crap for a day starting the day after I got it. Felt achy and headachy and just garbage. DP felt a bit off the after both doses but nothing an Advil couldn’t handle. Our oldest was the same as DP, though with considerably more drama about the pain where they actually administered the shot. ? 

Middle kiddo woke up the day after each dose with a sky high fever, lethargy, apathy, headache, full body aches, fatigue, the works. They needed Advil and Tylenol both given on a regular schedule to make them functional enough to do things like drink enough fluids and eat something. This is our kid that gets super high, even sometime scarily high, fevers whenever they are sick too though, so it wasn’t unexpected, and so so so much preferable to it being because of an actual virus, especially COVID. Their symptoms went away 24 hourish after they started, just like the rest of us.

I am beyond grateful we have had access to shots for the four of us. I won’t really breathe easier until youngest gets theirs because they were born with an immunodeficiency and they have lungs that are scarred and lung disease, none of which play nice with a virus like COVID, especially the newer variants.

My heart literally hurts knowing how many people around the world have no access and no timetable on when access will come for them to be vaccinated. That there are so many refusing the shots they have access to because of conspiracy theories and politics makes me sick. That having a loved one die of COVID or even being infected and almost dying themselves doesn’t register for some people is a level of crazy I don’t understand at all. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 8

Canada/Moderna/Pfizer

(It's like the new a/s/l from chats back in the day)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic