IGNORED

Seewalds 45: Ben’s a REAL Pastor at a PRECIOUS Church!

nelliebelle1197

19 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

First Ivy,  now Fern. Sensing a botanical theme here...

Oh, I hope beyond hope she names a future girl Hyacinth! (Any Keeping Up Appearances fans here?)

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 13

Fine I caved

and nothing like the seewalds having another mouth to feed during a pandemic

to make your life feel a bit more intense.

with me selling my house, getting vaccinated, where and when will I take a vacation, work, THE VICAR (who got 4 weeks off) and just overall life.

Life seems so much simpler with them....

WHY IS THAT

oh I know

it's edited that way

moving on

Call me when she adopts.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 5
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 1

Fern is a cute name, she and Josie (Bates) Balka seem to have similar taste in girl names. Glad the baby is healthy. Hospital birth AND an epidural, good for her. Still rolling my eyes at the information trickle, they must be panicking at the loss of income.

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 10

9 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Glad it's a girl, mostly because Ben seems to want as many boys as possible. He once said he hoped for 10. Boys are the important ones who can lead churches. 

Ben said that when he was 19 yo and wanted a Football team.

• Upvote 12

9 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Oh, I hope beyond hope she names a future girl Hyacinth! (Any Keeping Up Appearances fans here?)

I love Mrs Bucket!

Perhaps after that they can use Rose, Daisy and Violet?

• Upvote 14

Cute video. Here’s the highlights. 

*Very calm when they got to hospital, she was already 6 cm, contractions 3 min apart. She got an epidural, which kind of surprised me. In fact 1st didn’t take, so she got a 2nd, and then had them bump it up. 

*Had a doula, Ben and Michelle there (Michelle was filming) Michelle got to cut the cord because Ben didn’t want to. Michelle seemed nicely encouraging. Woman Dr came in for the baby catching. Kind of surprised she had a Dr instead of mid-wife, but maybe that’s a regulation there?  

* No one but Michelle and Jessa and Ben knew the sex , it didn’t sound like they’d picked the name yet, just from wording when the baby came.

* Swear to God, they used the hair bow as a prompt  to the kids in video call to guess it was a girl. Announced the name to them. Ivy seemed interested. The boys not so much. Ivy thought she was Joy’s baby.

* I love the name. I got the feeling they waited to meet her to finally decide between a couple choices. 

eta- they’ll prob make, by most estimates, around 5k for the birth videos when all is said and done. Based on current and rising views. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 19

from her past births it looks likes this one was the smallest baby? and that she somewhat enjoyed the hospital birth and looked like half way through it like why did i not do this the past three times....

:D

• Upvote 6

How about Rowan, Laurel, Holly (maybe not with Ivy!), Sorrel, Poppy or the, currently very popular, Lily. Not keen on Fern and cannot fathom how they paired it with Elliana but she’s their baby so their choice. 
I think that Ben chose “Spurgeon” and that Jessa has had more say in the names since then. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Wait, so when was the baby's actual birthday? Was she actually born on the 18th (aka Jim Bob's birthday)?

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

She got an epidural, which kind of surprised me.

When Jessa said that she intended to have this baby in the hospital she also said that one of the plusses was that she would be able to get an epidural.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Angelface said:

I think that Ben chose “Spurgeon” and that Jessa has had more say in the names since then. 

Right, because nobody wants a 2nd son named Rushdoony. 

This reminds me that I had an aunt who I barely met named Fern.  

• Upvote 5

I'm not a native English-speaker and I don't live in the US, so Fern seems unusual to me, not gonna lie. Never heard it before. But since most posters on here seem to have positive reactions to the name, I assume it's probably just a cultural difference.

I have heard Elliana (though spelled Eliana) in French. A couple I know named their baby girl Eliana, born in January 2021. I think it's sort of ''up-and-coming'' in the trends.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the hairbow thing in the video. 

I think Fern Elliana is a lovely name. If they have another girl they could name her Briar Isabelle. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliana

"Many sources derive it from via Hebrew, from Akkadian/Assyrian, literally translated as "My God has answered me."[1] It is composed of three Hebrew elements: EL, meaning GOD; ANA, meaning ANSWERED; and the Yud, located after EL, indicating first person possession.[2] Biblical sources: "And he erected there an altar, and called it El- [God] elohe-Israel [Eli, the God of the Patriarch Israel]" (Genesis 33:20). "And Efron answered [anah] Abraham, saying unto him," (Genesis 23:14).[1]

It can also be derived from the Late Latin Aeliāna, the feminine form of the Latin family name Aeliānus (of the sun), which is derived from the Greek hēlios (sun).[3]

Moreover, it is related to the Greek name Helene, and would thus be one of the many forms derived from that Greek name, such as Elaine from Old French.

Some variants include Iliana, Ileana, and Eleana."

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I'm not a native English-speaker and I don't live in the US, so Fern seems unusual to me, not gonna lie. Never heard it before. But since most posters on here seem to have positive reactions to the name, I assume it's probably just a cultural difference.

I have heard Elliana (though spelled Eliana) in French. A couple I know named their baby girl Eliana, born in January 2021. I think it's sort of ''up-and-coming'' in the trends.

It’s an old-fashioned name, and wasn’t very popular even in the past. The US Social Security Administration (which registers everyone’s name) has a website you can search for baby name popularity: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi. Fern peaked in 1916 at 0.123% of baby girls.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s an old-fashioned name, and wasn’t very popular even in the past. The US Social Security Administration (which registers everyone’s name) has a website you can search for baby name popularity: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi. Fern peaked in 1916 at 0.123% of baby girls.

True. But old fashioned sounding  names, and botanical names, seem to be extremely popular right now. This covers both while likely never having 3 different Fern’s in her friend group. And “goes” with her siblings names without being too matchy. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

As I said upthread I know a couple of Ferns - both in their 30s (England). There are also a couple of TV presenters here called Fern, one in her 50s and one I would guess to be late 30s.

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, JuanitaBanana said:

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the hairbow thing in the video. 

Same. Though Ivy saying the hairbow meant "that's Evy Mae" was cute enough to save it a little.

• Upvote 11

Aww, I like the name Fern! Isn't the girl in Charlotte's Web named Fern? I hope somebody in their circle sends the kid a copy of that book.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I love the name Hyacinth. I also like Ivy and Fern.

57 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Fern is a cute name, she and Josie (Bates) Balka seem to have similar taste in girl names. Glad the baby is healthy. Hospital birth AND an epidural, good for her. Still rolling my eyes at the information trickle, they must be panicking at the loss of income.

Yes, Jessa's Ivy and Fern would go well with Josie's Willow and Hazel (I am hoping Kelton has better taste in boys names than Ben). 

• Upvote 6

Fern is the girl in Charlotte's Web, (and Im really showing my age here)  is the almost-name of the baby in Baby Boom, one of my favorite movies EVER. 

Diane Keaton in a "totally 80s working women can have it all" role. Baby Elizabeth was about to be adopted and the older farming couple from Duluth were going to name her Fern.

Diane Keaton came back and snatched that baby right up. LOL!

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 3
  • Love 4

Fern is not my absolute favorite but it's okay. I love Elliana though I'm biased as it's my nieces name. Well actually hers is Elianna, but same difference. 

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

The article I read quoted Jessa as saying something like the more babies you have the harder it is to pick a name because you’ve already used your favorites. I guess choices are slim ever since Spurgeon was used.

She's got a point, though. We've got two boys and we're running out of boy's names we like!

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

*Had a doula, Ben and Michelle there (Michelle was filming) Michelle got to cut the cord because Ben didn’t want to. Michelle seemed nicely encouraging. Woman Dr came in for the baby catching. Kind of surprised she had a Dr instead of mid-wife, but maybe that’s a regulation there? 

Might not be regulation but luck of the draw. At the hospital I deliver at, you ideally get your own ob/midwife if they're affiliated and on call, but you might also just get whoever's on duty right then.

44 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

True. But old fashioned sounding  names, and botanical names, seem to be extremely popular right now. This covers both while likely never having 3 different Fern’s in her friend group. And “goes” with her siblings names without being too matchy. 

Agreed.

I'm a little thrown by Elliana, though, given that they already have an Elliot as a middle name. It seems too similar.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic