IGNORED

Seewalds 45: Ben’s a REAL Pastor at a PRECIOUS Church!

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I really hope she does go through with the hospital birth, even if it's hard for whatever reason (financial, trauma, comfort, etc.). If all she wants is a natural birth, most hospitals will accommodate that. Two out of three births ending in hemorrhages and I'd be camping out at the hospital three weeks before my due date just to make sure I was getting high-level care. I suspect that, in my OB's practice, you'd at a minimum be referred to the high-risk/maternal-fetal medicine doctors in addition to the regular care.

In the video she said that she was actually looking forward to maybe getting an epidural. We’ll see. 
She prefers to labor i. Familiar surroundings but Ben will be less worried in a Hospital.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

In the video she said that she was actually looking forward to maybe getting an epidural. We’ll see. 
She prefers to labor i. Familiar surroundings but Ben will be less worried in a Hospital.

This could actually be a sane and doable compromise: stay home as long as possible, but arriving in hospital to actually give birth.
I hope she won't be too late for her epidural then.

• Upvote 9

I'm really glad Jessa is going to the hospital this time. 

This whole thread has had been thinking about a coworker who is 4 weeks from her due date. Scrapping her OB at the last minute bc she doesn't care for the doctor's treatment of her for being overweight, which she is (and by treatment, the doc is encouraging a c-section and twice a week check-ups). Coworker doesn't want to go in twice a week for check-ups. She doesn't want a c-section (she had one with her first less than 2 years ago. She waited ten hours after her water broke to go to the hospital then refused a c-section until one became necessary after about two full days of being in the hospital). She wants a vbac, but OB thinks c-section would be better. She's going to do it at home with a doula and midwife. She's not going or going to talk to her OB anymore and refused to schedule and inducement two weeks before her due date. She wants to be pregnant until full-term and have the delivery she wants. I just sit there and nodded but in my head I'm having flashbacks to Jill's looong labor with Israel. 

I really freaking hope co-worker's plan goes well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 20

7 hours ago, Spock said:

This whole thread has had been thinking about a coworker who is 4 weeks from her due date. Scrapping her OB at the last minute bc she doesn't care for the doctor's treatment of her for being overweight, which she is (and by treatment, the doc is encouraging a c-section and twice a week check-ups). Coworker doesn't want to go in twice a week for check-ups. She doesn't want a c-section (she had one with her first less than 2 years ago. She waited ten hours after her water broke to go to the hospital then refused a c-section until one became necessary after about two full days of being in the hospital). She wants a vbac, but OB thinks c-section would be better. She's going to do it at home with a doula and midwife. She's not going or going to talk to her OB anymore and refused to schedule and inducement two weeks before her due date. She wants to be pregnant until full-term and have the delivery she wants. I just sit there and nodded but in my head I'm having flashbacks to Jill's looong labor with Israel. 

what a dickhead (IMHO)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 12

@Spock, that's one of the most terrifying things I've heard in a long time. For everyone's sake I hope everything goes well but wow she's taking some (imo) stupid risks! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 15

I am getting flashbacks to a fundie blog that I probably read about here (or more likely at the previous FJ site). A fundie mother was expecting a child. It wasn't her first but I can't recall how many others she had. She did not have adequate prenatal care and her 'midwife' kept on giving her different stories as to how many babies she was actually expecting. She went overdue, and I know those of us watching along were very concerned for her and the baby. She was in labour at home for a couple of days before things went horribly wrong. There was some kind of infection of the amniotic fluid. The baby boy (who was given some kind of biblical name like Nehemiah) died and I believe the mother might have been in the ICU for a week or so.
Does anyone remember this?

• Sad 12
  • Haha 1

@baldricks_turnip, if I have the right person, her name was Carri Chmielewski. This FJ thread was started later (2015), but it looks back at the death of her baby. Here's a post by @Buzzard with a useful summary for anyone who just wants a quick TLDR.

ETA--The thread includes more sadness about her life, including the news that her husband was abusive. Fortunately she was able to leave him, but she died in a car accident in late 2018. (Her daughter visited FJ, hoping to find a particular video.) All in all, a very sad situation. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
eta
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 14

14 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I am getting flashbacks to a fundie blog that I probably read about here (or more likely at the previous FJ site). A fundie mother was expecting a child. It wasn't her first but I can't recall how many others she had. She did not have adequate prenatal care and her 'midwife' kept on giving her different stories as to how many babies she was actually expecting. She went overdue, and I know those of us watching along were very concerned for her and the baby. She was in labour at home for a couple of days before things went horribly wrong. There was some kind of infection of the amniotic fluid. The baby boy (who was given some kind of biblical name like Nehemiah) died and I believe the mother might have been in the ICU for a week or so.
Does anyone remember this?

You have your answer but this is similar to Nicole Naugler's twelfth (?) baby too, IIRC. He was stillborn.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

On 6/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, Spock said:

Oh boy…parenthood isn’t going to slap her right in the head when those kids are older and do not march exactly to the what their mother wants tune.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:55 AM, Spock said:

I would never attempt at VBAC at home with a midwife but being overweight does not equal C-section. That's nuts. My Dr is very VBAC friendly but does not induce with ac-section scar so a 2 week early induction doesn't sound right to me either. I would absolutely have left that Dr's care as well but go to another Dr or Midwife with hospital privileges! 

Edited by Grace
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

I wouldn't do homebirth for a VBAC either*, but I absolutely did switch doctors within a few weeks of my due date to be able to have one in a hospital.  I won't claim that what was right for me would be right for someone else, but it was far and away the right choice for me and I do wish women didn't have to fight so hard for VBAC access or deal with doctors who manipulate them.  For what it's worth, I am overweight and would be the first to admit it and it literally never once came up at any of my appointments.  I did have an induction-- different doctors have different opinions about induced vbacs and if I had known that several years ago I could perhaps have avoided some of my c-sections by switching doctors/hospitals.  The doctor who helped me have a vbac after 3 c sections was the only provider I saw who actually took the time to discuss my medical history and what the research had to say instead of fear mongering without specifics.  I have a lot of respect for healthcare providers in general.  I am married to one.  But this is one aspect if healthcare that could really use improvement.

*I have friends who have had great homebirth experiences and kept encouraging me to try it.  I could just never get comfortable with the idea.  I really think a big part of it is that I started lurking on FJ ages ago when I was pregnant with my first and had too much time on my hands, and the whole Carri tragedy took place right then and was one of the earliest stories I remember following.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, ToriAmos said:

Jessa looks really pregnant in the Father's Day video on Instagram. She could be nearly due.

Has she given any hint to the month she's due? Or is she still going with "Summer".

Maybe that's the baby's name... Summer. ?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 4

Jessa claimed she was having a hospital birth last time and didn't do, but I'm hoping she will this time. Still I wouldn't count on her having a hospital birth this time until they announce the baby is born. I'm nervous based on her history of hemorrhaging, and I hope this delivery goes smoothly. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

I seem to recall last time the excuse was her doctor was out of town so she decided to home birth.  We’ll see if she really goes through with it or finds and excuse again.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

On 6/24/2021 at 6:51 PM, Bethella said:

All they announced was summer but Jessa had her sex determination ultrasound at that boutique place on January 25, 21 weeks ago. In order to see the requisite anatomy, at that point she had to be at least 14 weeks and more likely 18+ weeks. That puts her at a minimum of 35 weeks now and I suspect she’s closer to 39-40 weeks.

This was posted on the QofS thread about upcoming babies and posted on Thursday. (Thanks @Bethella!)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

She looked ready to pop on Father's Day last Sunday. I think she's due any day now.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

My ob told me after my csection I'll have the option to schedule one or try a vbac if I have another. I think some women really freak out about how little control you actually have over how labor goes and that's why they do these seemingly crazy things like having a home attempt a vbac. Some women are traumatized by their labors and while I can't relate (and was totally open to a csection once it was clear my labor wasn't progressing) I try to remind myself that my experience isn't theirs. My epidural worked, my baby wasn't in distress so there was more time to think about what was going to happen, my doctor was a legit goddess of obstetrics, and my recovery went smoothly. I hope your coworker is able to have the birth she wants safely and that she and her midwife have the sense to seek help in time if something seems to be going wrong. I could never have a home birth because I need the monitors to keep me sane and I'm very likely to go for a planned csection next time just to avoid the uncertainty of something happening during labor.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Yes! Maternal care in the US is horrible, especially for black and indigenous women. 

While it can increase danger, I’m understanding better why some choose to divest from hospital birthing. Doctors often provide unnecessary medical interventions, are prejudiced and take away the birthing person’s agency. Not to mention various nonsensical hospital rules (e.g: in some hospitals, people must lay flat for birth or can’t walk around in early labour) 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Jessa is due at the very latest 26th of July. This is so she was at least 14 weeks on 25th of January, when she went for her sex ultrasound. The particular ultrasound place that Jessa went to, does sex ultrasounds from 14 weeks. 

I hope she goes to hospital. She does not have a good home birth track record. 

Edited by SorenaJ
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

I hope I'm wrong but I have a very weird gut feeling this time around Jessa will need a csection.

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic