IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 15: [29 May 2021] Gwen, Joe & 5 Others Presumed Dead in Plane Crash

Coconut Flan

Word was Erin, but I’m not sure. I would love for RF to collapse and everyone move back home but I’m sure they won’t. 

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, thoughtful said:

This is so tragic for Joe's daughter and Gwen's grandchildren.

But, since it has already happened, am I being a pollyanna in hoping that this means the cult will gradually dissolve?

The end of the cult would be a blessing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

Just now, ElleHouston said:

Word was Erin, but I’m not sure. I would love for RF to collapse and everyone move back home but I’m sure they won’t. 

So Michael’s wife but not Michael and Elizabeth. That is interesting. Do you think the members would prefer Elizabeth to Erin? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, ElleHouston said:

I thought I heard Michael was persona non grata for being overweight. Can she still be in charge with a "fat" husband? Honest question. I find the emphasis on weight odd for the real world.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yep, we think Joe was the pilots so three couples and Gwen’s son in law. 

Thanks, I'm not that familiar with this group. What is with fundies and flying? 

• Upvote 3

I assume not Michael because he has been marginalized for years.

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

Thanks, I'm not that familiar with this group. What is with fundies and flying? 

I think Joe was a pilot before he met Gwen. Lemme go dig. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

If I was in RF, honestly I would prefer Erin. Michael wouldn’t be too bad, but I’m assuming because RF is a “fat free” church they wouldn’t want him in the limelight. 

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I thought I heard Michael was persona non grata for being overweight. Can she still be in charge with a "fat" husband? Honest question. I find the emphasis on weight odd for the real world.

Gwen was, for years! Until she got a divorce to marry Tarzan. And I read Elizabeth’s original text as a combo of hope and political setup - she’s made herself the source of info and declared the cult will go on, making herself the one people will look to.  I’m cynical though. 
I am sad for the families and children dealing with this, especially Joe’s daughter. I don’t like those people but I’d never wish something horrible like this to happen to them. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 13

@Maggie Mae I found a couple articles that indicate Joe had been flying since the 1990s. I also found a Joe Lara on Linked in with a commercial pilots license who flew for over 20 years and cites the Cessna Citation in his CV. May or not be the same Joe Lara. This Joe is attending Liberty University and was a pilot in California.

Different Joe Lara! Sorry, Joe Lara of Elk Grove, CA!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

@Maggie Mae I found a couple articles that indicate Joe had been flying since the 1990s. I also found a Joe Lara on Linked in with a commercial pilots license who flew for over 20 years and cites the Cessna Citation in his CV. May or not be the same Joe Lara. This Joe is attending Liberty University and was a pilot in California.

That’s him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Quick reminder that if you post a link you must post some context. Some of our group cannot/will not click a link. Please provide a summary sentence or two!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

16 minutes ago, ElleHouston said:

That’s him. 

Ooops ? but I do remember reading that he was an experience pilot in California somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, ElleHouston said:

Ooops ? but I do remember reading that he was an experience pilot in California somewhere. 

He was! And this guy has the same first, middle and last name!  But I found him and it is not Joe Tarzan. Joe Tarzan was born in CA and had like 40 years flying.

• Thank You 4

5 hours ago, IsGwen4Real said:

The press conference said they were on the way to Palm Beach. Wouldn’t Gwen have been officiating the wedding scheduled for this evening?

Who’s wedding was supposed to be taking place?

• Upvote 2

Like many others here, I did not expect or wish for this ending for Gwen. I feel for the families, for sure.

I fully expect Elizabeth to take over the cult and see her channeling all her grief into that. I am also thinking that, based on what we know of how RF handles death and funerals, it may very well be that the deceased may  be handled as if they never existed in the first place. Erased - that’s the word I was looking for. They will be erased and public life will go on as if nothing happened.

Ugh. Those poor kids.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

I think they would have an extravagant funeral for Gwen, wouldn’t you think?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, RFIntrigued said:

Who’s wedding was supposed to be taking place?

Delaney Wingerd and Jackson Rector

image.png.8cf83e6982e6389b1937dcf69a98b858.png

• Thank You 5

I commented here yesterday just about Gwen’s hair and make up. I saw it was hot and figured she must have done something new like usual. 

I am shocked. 

• I Agree 3

I'm sorry for everyone involved. 

I was only vaguely aware of Gwen Shamblin and her group.

Scientology didn't die out when L. Ron Hubbard died. The Westboro Baptist Church is still there after the death of Fred Phelps, Sr. Bill Gothard is out at IBLP and IBLP is still clinging to life. 

The group may survive even without its leaders.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7

12 minutes ago, Pandora Spocks said:

...I am also thinking that, based on what we know of how RF handles death and funerals, it may very well be that the deceased may  be handled as if they never existed in the first place. Erased - that’s the word I was looking for. They will be erased and public life will go on as if nothing happened.

My guess is since she was their leader - their god in a sense - they'll make it the most elaborate, over the top event ever. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

This is so tragic for Joe's daughter and Gwen's grandchildren.

But, since it has already happened, am I being a pollyanna in hoping that this means the cult will gradually dissolve?

My first thought was, as horrific as it will be for Joe's daughter to lose her father this way (and I am in no way downplaying that), at least she won't grow up in Gwen's cult.

It won't be as cut & dried for Gwen's grandchildren, but one can hope the cult will more or less die with Gwen.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

I think Elizabeth was really close to Gwen or at least appeared as she always sung her mother’s praises. She seemed really reliant on her husband from just reading here. I hope she will be ok... 

I wonder how Remnant is going to spin this because Gwen always made it seem like people were punished for not following God, right? She seemed like if you followed God, nothing bad would happen.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

10 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I wonder how Remnant is going to spin this because Gwen always made it seem like people were punished for not following God, right? She seemed like if you followed God, nothing bad would happen.

Some people will dig their heels in further but I bet this is the very thing that wakes up some members and is the beginning of them getting out. 

Edited by Giraffe
Heals is not the same as heels
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

• hoipolloi changed the title to Gwen Shamblin Lara 15: [29 May 2021] Gwen, Joe & 5 Others Presumed Dead in Plane Crash
  • Destiny locked this topic