IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 15: [29 May 2021] Gwen, Joe & 5 Others Presumed Dead in Plane Crash

Coconut Flan

Very sad for the family and friends of all involved.  It will be interesting to see how or if the church continues, since it seemed such a cult of the personality.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

From the Twitter thread the cloud ceiling was quite low and other pilots couldn't see him (which must be terrifying for them too actually). I assume Joe was instrument rated given the weather on take off, but it's still easy to lose a sense of where the horizon is, even with instruments. Everything else though - I agree that it sounds like something catastrophic happened, and/or that he stalled then couldn't get out of the stall in time.

Also 2000 feet descent in 5 seconds is the stuff of my nightmares.

• Upvote 17
  • Thank You 1

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

RF is not big on funerals right? I’m wondering how this will be handled. 

I thought they had huge funerals too, with everyone wearing white? Did I dream this?

I don't really follow these guys too carefully because I find them depressing and frankly the bad makeup haunts my dreams, so I could 100% be remembering wrong.

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

I thought they had huge funerals too, with everyone wearing white? Did I dream this?

I don't really follow these guys too carefully because I find them depressing and frankly the bad makeup haunts my dreams, so I could 100% be remembering wrong.

Funerals Atleast when I was in were super hush hush

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 11

Just now, RFsurvivor said:

Funerals Atleast when I was in were super hush hush

I sit corrected. Maybe I was confusing another weird event with a funeral. Like I said, I don't follow them particularly closely. 

• Upvote 4

The closest thing I’ve ever seen to a funeral was when Marcus Francis died, but even that was just an extended advert for Gwen.
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

Just now, Destiny said:

I was thinking an insider said they don’t like having big extravagant funerals. Everything else is done in huge theatrics in RF (weddings, holidays, etc) but not funerals. Funerals are very different from normal RF gatherings. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

Maybe I was confusing another weird event with a funeral.

Possibly you're thinking of Gwen's & Joe's wedding, which is the stuff of nightmares -- even more so now.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Ugh. I did watch that, so maybe. Not gonna lie, i found Gwen creepy as fuck.

Edit: after watching some of that video (I’ll be sending you the bill for my therapy Hoi!) I don’t think that’s it. Upon further reflection I think it was some weird event around Easter.

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think for the time being, RF can go on without Gwen. There are enough videos, writings, and quotes to keep them all going for awhile. Long term? That depends on who steps up. Erin Shamblin could possibly step into the role for the time being. The higher ups can work together to keep things going right now. Gwen was a very “scheduled” type of leader. Everyone knows exactly what they are to do in order to celebrate each holy day, wedding, birth, day camp, etc. Holidays are always celebrated the same. Weddings are always a huge group effort and I imagine many people know how Gwen would have wanted things done. Sermons were very often repeated. Everyone should know some of them by heart by now. 

• Upvote 10

5 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Edit: after watching some of that video (I’ll be sending you the bill for my therapy Hoi!) I don’t think that’s it. Upon further reflection I think it was some weird event around Easter.

They have a massive Passover event.  Could be that.

I know it's very early in this tragedy, but I would imagine, despite RF's no funeral rule, there will be a massive funeral service for Gwen, about how Jesus has called her home to sit at his side or something, and introducing whomever is going to take over.  In some ways, cults are extremely predictable.  

I'm just so shocked.  Apparently Joe's last communication over the radio was "130 66BK".  Does anyone know what that means?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Possibly you're thinking of Gwen's & Joe's wedding, which is the stuff of nightmares -- even more so now.

I don't think I watched the wedding, but the "spontaneous" engagement video made me laugh. I wonder how much stuff will get pulled down quickly while the leadership adjusts to this.

Also I feel really sorry for the couple getting married today in RF. I assume it will be postponed, but it would be such a headspin to go from preparing a wedding to this.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I’ll be sending you the bill for my therapy Hoi!

In the meantime, I'm prescribing red wine as needed + 6 oz of the very best dark chocolate. Call me in the morning  if there's no improvement.

You're welcome.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 8

Ugh. I did watch that, so maybe. Not gonna lie, i found Gwen creepy as fuck.

Pentacost!
Every year EVERYONE dresses up in white and even the food all has to be white. The only non-white thing at that event is the wine!
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

I’m totally new to this church/family. Just came over because it was hot. I have a few newbie questions. Is there an interesting story to Gwen’s divorce and quick remarriage? Who is Erin Shamblin? Did Joe have sole custody of his daughter? Why is Elizabeth considered fragile?

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I’m totally new to this church/family. Just came over because it was hot. I have a few newbie questions. Is there an interesting story to Gwen’s divorce and quick remarriage? Who is Erin Shamblin? Did Joe have sole custody of his daughter? Why is Elizabeth considered fragile?

Erin = Elizabeth. She’s emaciated and has been for some time. 

The divorce and remarriage are shrouded in mystery but my guess is David wasn’t good for Gwen’s brand so she roped in Joe. Their lack chemistry was painful to watch. 

(eta I’m second guessing myself of Erin/Elizabeth. I think they’re the same person)

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Erin = Elizabeth. She’s emaciated and has been for some time. 

The divorce and remarriage are shrouded in mystery but my guess is David wasn’t good for Gwen’s brand so she roped in Joe. Their lack chemistry was painful to watch. 

(eta I’m second guessing myself of Erin/Elizabeth. I think they’re the same person)

Erin is Michael’s wife, Elizabeth’s first name is Michelle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

Erin Shamblin is Michael’s wife. Gwen’s daughter-in-law. You’re thinking about Elizabeth (Michelle) Hannah. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Gwen’s son in law Brandon and daughter in law Erin have always been very committed to the RF church and Gwen. That’s why I say Erin would be the one to step up. Michael is overweight and is rarely in the spotlight. Elizabeth is very thin and isn’t in the spotlight much either. This is why I say it would be Erin right now. She seems devoted to RF and Gwen. I think she would get plenty of help from some of the higher ups in the group. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Is it confirmed they passed? Her wiki is already updated with death date and passed tense verbs  

I know they were fringe even for fundies but I wonder if this will make other fundies rethink their obsession with mini private planes. 

Edited by artdecades
  • Upvote 7

To make things even more confusing, sometimes Erin Shamblin is called “Elle.”

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

14 minutes ago, LifelongRFSurvivor said:

Pentacost!
Every year EVERYONE dresses up in white and even the food all has to be white. The only non-white thing at that event is the wine!

This is probably it! I'm not sure why it had funeral vibes to me, but that fits what I remember.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

I'm just so shocked.  Apparently Joe's last communication over the radio was "130 66BK".  Does anyone know what that means?

66BK was the tail number of the plane.

Registered Owner: JL&GL PRODUCTIONS LP

JL&GL of course means Joe Lara & Gwen Lara.

This was just one of their multiple planes and helicopters.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberInquiry

(You can type 66BK in the above page to see the detail.)

image.thumb.png.4ff337dc84582635953c6a24d099e7a5.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

This might be a bit messed up but, one of Gwens favorite scriptures was: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven. And it is ultimately her husbands wealth that led to her undoing via private plane..

• Upvote 9

• hoipolloi changed the title to Gwen Shamblin Lara 15: [29 May 2021] Gwen, Joe & 5 Others Presumed Dead in Plane Crash
  • Destiny locked this topic