IGNORED

Mortons 4: Addie's Finally Married and All the Mortons Are MAGAts

nelliebelle1197

8 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I'm kind of surprised they would date a brown woman

She might be brown but I'd be surprised if she does not have internalized colourism. She likely identifies with the white side of her background and Edwin likely thinks of her as a white woman who has a particularly good tan. 

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1

57 minutes ago, browngrl said:

She might be brown but I'd be surprised if she does not have internalized colourism. She likely identifies with the white side of her background and Edwin likely thinks of her as a white woman who has a particularly good tan. 

The Mortons are just really, really equality-minded! It's impossible to think less of a woman for the color of her skin if you see ALL women as representatives of an inferior sub-species!

That said (and despite being rabid confederate sympathizers), I do think it's important to note that the Mortons seem pretty open to people of other ethnic and cultural persuasions, provided they are the right kind of fundy fascist. Solidly 1/4 of the Morton kids married Smiths, who are Puerto Rican on the Craptain's side, and who have cousins of many different racial and ethnic backgrounds through him. The Smiths' adopted children are Latvian, Armenian, and African-American, and all of them are in-laws to the Mortons. As are Kennedy Morton's younger siblings, both of whom are people of color. 

The real fuckery with the Morton clan is how they reconcile waving confederate flags from the roof of their Georgia compound while they host gatherings that include their black (and other poc) extended family members. The mental gymnastics are truly incredible. 

• Upvote 21

9 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

The Mortons are just really, really equality-minded! It's impossible to think less of a woman for the color of her skin if you see ALL women as representatives of an inferior sub-species!

That said (and despite being rabid confederate sympathizers), I do think it's important to note that the Mortons seem pretty open to people of other ethnic and cultural persuasions, provided they are the right kind of fundy fascist. Solidly 1/4 of the Morton kids married Smiths, who are Puerto Rican on the Craptain's side, and who have cousins of many different racial and ethnic backgrounds through him. The Smiths' adopted children are Latvian, Armenian, and African-American, and all of them are in-laws to the Mortons. As are Kennedy Morton's younger siblings, both of whom are people of color. 

The real fuckery with the Morton clan is how they reconcile waving confederate flags from the roof of their Georgia compound while they host gatherings that include their black (and other poc) extended family members. The mental gymnastics are truly incredible. 

And the girls of color are already self depreciating just by being female. They turn off their own personal thoughts, ideas, needs & wants as females. So, it's not that far of a stretch to see them turn off anything about their skin color. When the Confederate flags fly, they don't see it as a statement against them, because really, they are not relevant enough for anything to be about them. In the Morton brand of religion, women are taught to take on every thought and idea of their husband. They are to do his bidding. There mere fact that they associate with such people, they know what they're getting and they know what their place is. They have simply turned off anything that makes them them. They become exactly what their male partner wants. 

I'm not saying it very well. Morton brand females - and a large portion of all fundie females - turn off who they are and live as they're told; they follow the man, no matter what. 

They can't feel anything about the racism coming from Southern Kristchen tRump loving Confederate flag waving boys because by the time they're dating or seeing one, they know the rules and have turned everything off. If they had it in the first place and don't already live as empty vessels for the sake of their father. 

It's cognitive dissonance as a breeding tactic. Teach the girls to do ignore what they see & feel. Teach them they are an extension of the men in their life, be it father, brother or husband. 

• Upvote 9

@fundiefan I always remember Capt Brett crowing on about Kressant not even looking at a boy until he said it was ok to court Michael and that their engagement consisted of marathon phone calls so that she could know exactly what he wants and likes. And that with marrying him she was agreeing to go, without complaint, to the ends of the earth with him, while tending the house and children's every need. Ugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3

26 minutes ago, JMO said:

@fundiefan I always remember Capt Brett crowing on about Kressant not even looking at a boy until he said it was ok to court Michael and that their engagement consisted of marathon phone calls so that she could know exactly what he wants and likes. And that with marrying him she was agreeing to go, without complaint, to the ends of the earth with him, while tending the house and children's every need. Ugh.

And boy did that come back to bite him in the ass! I bet he hasn’t talked to Kressant or her children in years. She is now a Morton, not a Smith. He lost 3 daughters and many grandchildren by excusing his son’s monstrous behavior. 

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And boy did that come back to bite him in the ass! I bet he hasn’t talked to Kressant or her children in years. She is now a Morton, not a Smith. He lost 3 daughters and many grandchildren by excusing his son’s monstrous behavior. 

And I laugh at that. What goes around comes around. He taught those girls that they belong to their husbands. Nothing else to say, ever. He obviously thought the S'Morton relationship would last forever and their uniting of several of their offspring meant they were bound for life or something. 

Too bad, so sad, asshat. He's still an arrogant f*cker and it slays me. Three daughters that won't acknowledge his existence and a son in prison for raping a child. And both situations were caused entirely by Bret Smith himself. He raised his son to think he's a golden, untouchable prince and he raised his daughters to be chattel. He got exactly what he wanted. Only he's too ignorant and arrogant to even imagine that his children being exactly what he created them to be would backfire. 

And what's worse, he's more upset that his daughters are bound to their husbands and don't "honor" their asshat parents than he is that his son raped a child. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

Edwin reposted a couple of videos from Francesca. He's going to her college graduation and had lunch with her. They are practically married in their world.  

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JMO said:

Edwin reposted a couple of videos from Francesca. He's going to her college graduation and had lunch with her. They are practically married in their world.  

Sad she spent all that time and effort on college and is going to plop herself into Mortonville, Once those babies arrive, she will never use that education. Not that she is using it now by jumping down the Morton rabbit hole. 

It is interesting to see they are not doing courtship & betrothal. Of course, no one after Martha has been entrapped in that shitshow, but it's still interesting. What do the older ones think of the way their marriages came about compared to those of the younger ones? I mean, Edwin is hanging out with a girl in college and they are not "no touch" given her pictures of them snuggling up next to each other. Compared to say Michael & Kressant, who had the whole betrothal crap and he even had to pay a bride price and couldn't touch her and they couldn't "love" each other until those rings were on their fingers. 

I would like to feel bad for the girl, for being to entrapped in a family situation that makes dating a Morton look like a good idea. But, given her penchant for spewing BS and parroting the tRump loving, Qanon BS from that corner of the world - well, she's getting what she wants, I guess. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

At least she’s more educated than some of the other Morton wives. Which means she *might* give her litter of kids a slightly better homeschool education. Or she might do a shit job. Who knows. They all love their self imposed ignorance. 

• Upvote 7

Curious to hear others' thoughts on this, but do any of you think the appeal of the fundie way of life (and the rationale for women like Francesca joining willingly) is in part a backlash for how hard it is for women to "have it all"? I found fundies through a period in my mid twenties when I was finishing school and slogging my way though first jobs and came across an NYT article about Mormon mommy bloggers. Their lives were so simple and pretty compared to mine, and I was too young to really think through how important feminism and intellectual opportunity and fulfillment are. It just seemed like a nice fantasy to opt out of modern life.

Ali Wong does a lot of jokes about wanting to be a housewife and how it's a scam that modern women have to do the same level of education and work as men AND do all childcare and mental load of running a house. My point is, to the young and naive, I can understand the appeal of biblical patriarchy and gender roles. I think a lot of these young brides see the shiny and pretty and not the deep emptiness, boredom and resentment these women must feel later in life.

• Upvote 10

What do we know about Francesca's heritage/nationality/ancestry? I don't know much about her. She could easily be Italian, Greek, Spanish, etc. if all we're going on is her looks.

• Upvote 2

Are we sure Francesca herself is graduating from anywhere? Her sister graduated this weekend - from homeschool. Apparently as part of some Florida homeschoolers organization - https://fpea.com/ - that had a convention this weekend. 

One of their splash screens blatantly says "withdraw from public school". 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

37 minutes ago, JMO said:

@fundiefan I think you're right. I missed that it's Tina's graduation and not hers.

So confusing getting a picture of fundies newly arrived on the scene. 

She did go to college, apparently, it just wasn't her graduation this weekend.

And I will never be able to wrap my brain around a Morton marriage to a college educated person. Nothing about that concept jives, at all. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

Curious to hear others' thoughts on this, but do any of you think the appeal of the fundie way of life (and the rationale for women like Francesca joining willingly) is in part a backlash for how hard it is for women to "have it all"? I found fundies through a period in my mid twenties when I was finishing school and slogging my way though first jobs and came across an NYT article about Mormon mommy bloggers. Their lives were so simple and pretty compared to mine, and I was too young to really think through how important feminism and intellectual opportunity and fulfillment are. It just seemed like a nice fantasy to opt out of modern life.

Ali Wong does a lot of jokes about wanting to be a housewife and how it's a scam that modern women have to do the same level of education and work as men AND do all childcare and mental load of running a house. My point is, to the young and naive, I can understand the appeal of biblical patriarchy and gender roles. I think a lot of these young brides see the shiny and pretty and not the deep emptiness, boredom and resentment these women must feel later in life.

I converted when I was 31, with a young baby. In trying to wrap my head around how and why I morphed from very left-leaning feminist to fundigelical homeschooler, my therapist helped me see that I was looking at the aspects of it that offered stability, certainty, security. My childhood was chaotic and abusive, and I was desperate for the world to make sense. Further, my mom, of course, went to work when she and my dad split when I was 6, and that was when the abuse and neglect started. So in my mind, working mothers felt synonymous with abused kids. 

And I had always known I wanted kids, and I’d always known I wanted to be home with them. As an added bonus, it pissed off my mom. I don’t regret being at home with my kids; we did all kinds of awesome things together and are still very close as they’ve grown into young adulthood. But when I divorced, I was wrecked financially. Coming out of evangelicalism at the same time as leaving an abusive marriage, I wasn’t able to work, and our status is still extremely tenuous years later. And I absolutely regret the conservative bullshit I believed and taught my kids, although we’ve all made our way out and away from that.

Tl;dr - For me, at least, there’s certainly some truth in your idea. It’s complicated.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 17

Do we know where she goes/went to college?  I mean, there's a big difference between an accredited university or liberal arts college vs. bullshit Bible "college"....

• Upvote 2

Welp.  Ok, officially shocked that someone who went to an accredited public university (GUBMINT!!!1111 SATAN!!!!!11111) would willingly marry a Morton.  Gross.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 5/31/2021 at 12:03 AM, FrumpyAtheist said:

I missed reading this yesterday. I think there is something to that appeal. Not as an isolated thought, but as a thought none the less. 

In the past decade + since I got divorced, I've had a few really trying periods of time. Typical, usual life struggles that millions of others have dealt with and will always deal with. But it was hard. So very hard. I was in a messed up state of mind because I was constantly stressed and worried and scared. So many things that needed to be decided and done and I was paralyzed with fear that  made it all even harder. 

There were several times during those rough days where I thought life would be so much easier if I just had someone else to worry and make the money and pay the bills and make the decisions. Someone else to take care of the shit. A life where I didn't have to care that my job sucked, then my next job sucked, then the next one sucked. Where I didn't have to be the one to advance in my work life even as it sucked so I could get more experience and make more money so I could live without constant fear & struggle. 

I don't doubt that if someone magically fell from the sky during some of the roughest of those patches, I would have jumped at the perceived security of an easier life. In the very beginning, I did jump into a rebound relationship that quickly ended even more disastrously than the marriage for a multitude of reasons - but one big one was because the "shine" wore off rather quickly. Thank Zeus. 

So, even an almost lifelong feminist and atheist can find herself so scared and insecure that she thinks the other side of the fence is greener and think what she wouldn't give to live over there. 

Like many other cult style ways of life, patriarchy preys on the insecure and weak; if it can't find them, it births them. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 12

Kennedy's story on instagram is quite interesting. She shows some pretty strenuous looking workouts and points out that a woman's life does not end with "mama hood". Well. She seems dangerously close to admitting that a woman can love being a mother AND love having another role. What is next? Admitting woman should be able to make their own choices and be in control of their own reproduction? 

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Kennedy's story on instagram is quite interesting. She shows some pretty strenuous looking workouts and points out that a woman's life does not end with "mama hood". Well. She seems dangerously close to admitting that a woman can love being a mother AND love having another role. What is next? Admitting woman should be able to make their own choices and be in control of their own reproduction? 

Pretty sure that if pressed, it would be women who make the choices she makes and only the choices she makes. 

Life doesn't stop with mommahood - if your life is working out and only if you can manage both and not choose "life" over mommahood. 

But, if your life is a career, or even a random job, that you love and gain fulfilment from? Nope. If your life is traveling, nope. If your life is education, nope.

Kennedy likes to pretend she's some strong modern woman. She's really just a girl living in fundamentalism trying to convince herself that she is a modern woman who can have it all and do whatever she damn well likes. 

And, apparently, forget how women get pregnant since her first thoughts were work out / diet related and not pregnancy, because isn't she just funny and cool like that. 

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

And, apparently, forget how women get pregnant since her first thoughts were work out / diet related and not pregnancy, because isn't she just funny and cool like that. 

To be fair, her getting pregnant is basically the same as breathing for the rest of us. It's not intentional; it just continually happens like magic. She doesn't even think about it.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here smacking Mr. Funderpants in the face with my new packet of pills every month ?  Literally though, because I think it's hysterical to be like "YOU HAVE UTERUS COOTIES because these are meds for my UTERUS."

• Love 1

Could anybody please explain why all the Mortons have their knickers in a twist over Fauci‘s emails?

I read an article on CNN about the leak, and it seems that all that could be gathered from the emails was that Fauci worked himself ragged during the pandemic and still found the time to answer questions from the public politely.

Am I missing something here?

• Upvote 8

59 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Could anybody please explain why all the Mortons have their knickers in a twist over Fauci‘s emails?

I read an article on CNN about the leak, and it seems that all that could be gathered from the emails was that Fauci worked himself ragged during the pandemic and still found the time to answer questions from the public politely.

No, you're not. The Mortons & their ilk - basically, the Qanon folk nationwide - have their knickers in a twist about Dr. Fauci in general. They blame him for masks and the "plandemic" - as though he made it all up and made all the restrictions/rules. He is part of the "Deep State" dontchaknow. 

Basically, as far as they are concerned, Fauci is the reason for the past year & 1/2 and he should be locked in prison while his toenails are removed one by one or something.

Typical Q bullshit where they're too stupid to face reality and instead choose a scapegoat for all their complaints about the world.

Also, and probably most importantly to Qers/MAGAts, Fauci did no kiss the orange monster's ass. He corrected him, he contradicted him, he used medial & scientific fact to back up his position. So, tRump hates him and essentially, Qers and MAGAts are tRumps echo - so if tRump says it, they run with it and make it the biggest, most special and important thing ever. 

They no doubt still pray to their orange leader at night - their god left their priority list as soon as tRump showed up. 

They live in a fantasy world of tRump  marching into Washington with all the US military might, arresting & imprisoning every single Dem/moderate / non tRumper and restoring the whole country to...well, I'm not sure what. Declaring Martial law while anyone who looked sideways at tRump is rounded up and executed or imprisoned. Even foreign leaders and non leaders alike - like, when Prince Phillip died the big Q story was that he was actually murdered (because a 99 year old man could only have been murdered and did not die of natural causes) & Queen Elizabeth was unseated from the throne and England's military was now under the control of US generals of some such thing I can't fully remember because my brain cannot - will not - wrap around such total and complete stupidity.

I love how they adore the military and are its biggest cheerleaders (apparently) but not one of their pansy asses has ever served. Interesting, but not surprising. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

16 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

The emails weren't leaked, they were released under Freedom of Information Act requests.

I missed the posts- what were the Mortons saying about them?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• hoipolloi locked this topic