IGNORED

2020 Election Results 11: Domestic Terrorists And An Eternity Until Inauguration

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Nowhere else has this. Seriously, we don't have mass shooter drills. We have fire drills, we've had some drills which were about chemical leaks (work near labs, get special drills), and we did have bomb drills in school growing up - but we don't have mass shooter drills in either work or school. This is not a normal thing for most of the world.

My country is in the Pacific fire circle, so earthquakes are somewhat common. We did constant drills at school, and even a couple at university. That’s my normal- something that could happen by natural causes. The idea of someone buying a rifle alongside their groceries, let alone shoot through a school and absolutely nothing happening to prevent it from happening again, feels dystopian.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Major Hawley donor calling for censure.

This is the first time I've wanted a combined "good/suffer in your jocks" reaction.

• Upvote 6

Possibly hyperbolic thought, but then again possibly not in light of what happened yesterday:

We all know Trump just wants to burn everything to the ground since he didn't get his way (see his happiness about Republicans losing in Georgia). What are the chances that on move out day there is possibly a mysterious fire that starts in the White House? Or more likely, some Proud Boy inauguration protestors "somehow" manage to slip into the White House and cause some damage. I don't think it'll be razed to the ground, but I'm prepared for some "surprises."

I'm also wondering how the chain of command works on inauguration day and who reports to whom. I think January 20th is gonna be a mess. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I also remember earthquake drills throughout school, living in California. Also fire drills as well. The funniest thing about those earthquake drills is that in my 7th grade math class, an aftershock of the Whittier quake hit, and we all did as we had practiced since kindergarten, got under our desks. The teacher didn't feel the earthquake, so he thought it was just an elaborate prank. The next day, the teacher apologized. I still think it was funny at the time.

With the mass shootings, the only thing I've been through is a training session at my job, with input from the local police department.

• Upvote 7

Just now, ADoyle90815 said:

I also remember earthquake drills throughout school, living in California. Also fire drills as well. The funniest thing about those earthquake drills is that in my 7th grade math class, an aftershock of the Whittier quake hit, and we all did as we had practiced since kindergarten, got under our desks. The teacher didn't feel the earthquake, so he thought it was just an elaborate prank. The next day, the teacher apologized. I still think it was funny at the time.

With the mass shootings, the only thing I've been through is a training session at my job, with input from the local police department.

Hey! Your teacher apologizing was a plus. I remember in high school when I realized that maybe I was smarter than most of my teachers. I fortunately was smart enough to keep this insight to myself, but it was a bit of a shock. 

Teachers who apologize rock!

• Upvote 7

I just wrote the Dubuque mayor to tell him that I think they should refuse to do or continue business with any business who has employees who participated in the terrorist attack as long as these terrorists continue to be employed by said businesses.  That sure as fuck is going to be my policy going forward as much as possible.  The only thing these treasonous fucks understand is $$$ so I'm gonna boycott any business who supports or who continues to employee people who did so.  I'm the kind of person who will go 100 miles out of my way to avoid certain businesses run by douche cannons and I'm more than willing to do it here.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, Ozlsn said:

Cruz has broken with Trump!

Where? The last thing I saw from him was calling AOC a liar for saying his stuff about election fraud is bullshit.

• Upvote 5

Just now, Destiny said:

Where? The last thing I saw from him was calling AOC a liar for saying his stuff about election fraud is bullshit.

Just linked to a tweet, I can't make twitter embed at all.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozlsn said:

Just linked to a tweet, I can't make twitter embed at all.

I found this. Too little, too late Teddy, the leopard you set lose ate your damn face. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 19
  • Thank You 7

Oh what crap. Look in the mirror, Cruz!

I am so DONE with these politicians who suddenly seem to be pulling a conscience out from their ass.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 20

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

I feel like this needs to be said, and I want to buy this 9th grader the snack of their choice, and toss a little into their college fund. 

My first thought was of Newtown, CT- Congress didn’t give 2 figs about those young kids, their teachers and surviving family members.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 3

1 minute ago, livinginthelight said:

Oh what crap. Look in the mirror, Cruz!

I am so DONE with these politicians who suddenly seem to be pulling a conscience out from their ass.

That's pretty much exactly what I said. Fuck these guys who suddenly have a conscience four fucking years too late. 

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

My first thought was of Newtown, CT- Congress didn’t give 2 figs about those young kids, their teachers and surviving family members.

Sad testament to the state of our country: though I know there was a school mass shooting there, I can't remember which one it was because THERE'S BEEN SO FUCKING MANY.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 7

I grew up in Washington DC. Most of my friends still live and work there. One of my friends was literally hiding in Metro Center for hours because he wasn’t sure what would happen if he went aboveground during all of this. It’s dumb but I sort of feel like I would if they’d broken into my house and trashed it. In a way, they kind of DID break into my house. They broke into EVERYONE’S house. 

Ted Cruz is one of my senators and he can go fuck himself, but he won’t face consequences for any of it. 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

This has (sadly) been my go to response when people start complaining about their guns being taken away- "if it didn't happen after a room of kindergarteners were gunned down in Newtown under a Democratic president, it never will." It seems to stop the gun nuts in their tracks and shuts them up, but my heart hurts a little each time I've had to say that. 

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

I feel like this needs to be said, and I want to buy this 9th grader the snack of their choice, and toss a little into their college fund. 

I’ll be honest, I don’t have a ton of sympathy for this kid either. Oh, you had to do school shooter drills? I was in an Arlington elementary school two miles from the Pentagon on 9/11. If you want to play “shit’s scary” olympics we can do that, but school shooter drills don’t really phase me. My dad had to do nuclear war drills growing up. School has sucked for decades, kiddo. 

Edited by urami
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Bless Your Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

This has (sadly) been my go to response when people start complaining about their guns being taken away- "if it didn't happen after a room of kindergarteners were gunned down in Newtown under a Democratic president, it never will." It seems to stop the gun nuts in their tracks and shuts them up, but my heart hurts a little each time I've had to say that. 

Absolutely true. I have thought the same too. Very sad moment for America and our response, even worse.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

I can’t remember what did happen when they tried reforms after Sandy Hook. Congress wouldn’t pass them? 

You know, much as I can see the sentiment of reaching across the aisle, need for unity etc, and the amount of work it will take to just UNDO all the shit Trump has done, I hope the Dems go in HARD from day one. With the presidency and balance of power in house and senate, it’s time to enact all the things that got stopped in their tracks, including gun reform. Trump took off like a horse from the gate as soon as his inauguration is over and I hope Biden does the same.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 15

The people who stormed the Capitol yesterday definitely need to be held to account. In addition to the whole 'it's illegal', maybe that will keep those who are planning on trying something prior to / on Inauguration Day from doing something.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I am so fired up and furious about this that I’m having trouble seeing straight. 

Every single one of these people that stormed the Capitol? If they get coronavirus they should automatically be at the bottom of the list for medical treatment. Ventilator shortage? Best just hope your luck holds out and try not to die. Everybody they arrested gets a terrorism charge. No-fly list, have fun getting back to your house now if they’re from out of state. Mass employment termination for anyone who was there. Banks should cancel their accounts. Cell phone and cable companies, terminate their service. 

Maybe the ventilator thing makes me a bad person. But I don’t care that much. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

I’m a medical worker on the front lines. I would love to tell these anti maskers if they don’t believe in science, don’t bother coming to the hospital if they get sick.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

3 minutes ago, urami said:

I am so fired up and furious about this that I’m having trouble seeing straight. 

Every single one of these people that stormed the Capitol? If they get coronavirus they should automatically be at the bottom of the list for medical treatment. Ventilator shortage? Best just hope your luck holds out and try not to die. Everybody they arrested gets a terrorism charge. No-fly list, have fun getting back to your house now if they’re from out of state. Mass employment termination for anyone who was there. Banks should cancel their accounts. Cell phone and cable companies, terminate their service. 

Maybe the ventilator thing makes me a bad person. But I don’t care that much. 

And I'm thinking the other direction -- any of those folks who are identified as being covid positive should be charged with attempted murder of Federal employees.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

All of the rats deserting Trump bring up my mind's need to try to figure out the proportion of evil to stupid in their brains, like I always need to do with the fundies. I know they are hateful shits who mostly cared about their own ambition.

But the idea that they'd look at that guy and think "Yeah, I'll hitch my wagon to that star! That's the way to fame and fortune and power!" and stick with him for years, just boggles my mind.

If ever there was a walking liability, a loose cannon, a guaranteed shitshow that would burn anyone who got close enough, it's Trump. That they ever thought he was their ticket is bizarre enough, let alone that some of them would stick with him this long, then suddenly decide it was a good move to leave now.

I'm not sure even the idea that Trump/Putin/somebody has the goods to blackmail them makes sense any more (although it still makes more sense than the idea that they actually thought Trump would make their careers).

From now on there should never be another movie with the stereotypical evil genius. I think they just don't exist. Evil and stupid match up much better.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic