IGNORED

Maxwell 44: Must We Permit Mephistopheles and Beelzebub to Perform Financial and Performance Audits

Coconut Flan

I made Maxburrito filling once or twice, years ago. My husband wouldn't eat it if it was the last food on earth so I cut the recipe by about 1/4 since I was making it just for myself. I dropped it on a cookie sheet with an ice cream scoop which admittedly made it look like turds, but it was a handy meal to have up my sleeve if my husband called to say he was working late (or having to stay overnight - that used to happen a lot at his old job, thankfully not so much at his current one) and wouldn't be home for dinner. It was nice to just come home from work, thaw a couple of bean plops, and fix a couple of burritos for just me with minimal effort and time. From a nutrition standpoint they're not horrible - certainly better than a frozen pizza or a Hot Pocket if you're looking to make a quick solitary meal using only your microwave. Of course, that all just underscores all the things that are wrong with our family - me working outside the home, husband working for the man, not living on a predictable and unchangeable schedule, not having a meal plan set in concrete. Also I'm not a burrito snob so I guess I wouldn't know a "good" burrito if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Good Burritos Are Here Again"...

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 14
  • Love 3

I agree about the Fundie Mystery of Children!

The Maxwells and many others cry out that children are a blessing, a joy, and everyone should “leave it up to God” (which of course is code for have as many as possible)......yet they don’t actually seem to like them that much. Or more, they don’t like the fact that they aren’t born as perfect little Christian adults, they have to actually have a childhood first. Everything “child” is trained out of them. Blanket training. Punishing shyness. Toys, games, play time must be biblica and educational only. 
And in my view the saddest part is how so many of our Fundies kill their children’s  innocence so young. 
I work currently with 6 year olds. Trust me, they don’t know what sex is. One of the class moms is pregnant and I’ve heard their conversations about it - they have no clue how that baby got in there. The closest is “a cuddle only mommy and daddy can do”. It’s adorable and innocent as they should be . 
Yet Anna and Christopher are dragging their 6 year olds to abortion protests. All in the name of sheltering apparently.

And then of course, universal to many of the families on here, not just the Maxwells - the dress of the girls. Modesty. My class change for swimming in one changing room. There’s always a bit of giggling and the general observation of differences but on the whole they don’t care and just change. As they should. No one is “defrauded”. Today was our Christmas party - the girls were mostly in dresses. Above the knee. Tights or leggings because it’s damn cold and not for modestly (think rainbow colours and sparkly) and the girls were certainly “indecent” when they sat down, bent over etc. But they’re kids and they don’t think about it and none of them care! They shouldn’t know about “causing lustful thoughts” and “causing men to sin” at that age yet that’s what all those Maxwell girls with their long skirts and pants underneath in the hot sun are doing. Destroying innocence.

I can’t even start on the “absolutely no abortion ever” when they don’t give a hoot about the pandemic, don’t support welfare, don’t want accessible healthcare for all, are against child protective services......

• Upvote 23
  • Love 3

I have never understood leaving it up to god. It’s Russian roulette not god that decides if the sperm finds its way to the egg and makes a baby. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 10

It’s also possible that, even if the egg does get fertilised, the mother could experience a miscarriage or stillbirth. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

7 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

I agree about the Fundie Mystery of Children!

The Maxwells and many others cry out that children are a blessing, a joy, and everyone should “leave it up to God” (which of course is code for have as many as possible)......yet they don’t actually seem to like them that much. Or more, they don’t like the fact that they aren’t born as perfect little Christian adults, they have to actually have a childhood first. Everything “child” is trained out of them. Blanket training. Punishing shyness. Toys, games, play time must be biblica and educational only. 
And in my view the saddest part is how so many of our Fundies kill their children’s  innocence so young.

Even the fundies who seem to enjoy their own children want to keep themselves-- and their kids-- away from other people's children. This even includes kids from like-minded families. There's no such thing in fundieland as "Can Billy come over to play?" or "Sure, Jessica, you can go to Brittany's slumber party."

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 4

I’ve always thought the “leaving it up to God” standard could be used the other way. For example a couple could use birth control, but since they believe God is all powerful, if He wanted the woman to get pregnant then something as minor as bc isn’t going to stop her getting pregnant. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 7

6 hours ago, Markie said:

I’ve always thought the “leaving it up to God” standard could be used the other way. For example a couple could use birth control, but since they believe God is all powerful, if He wanted the woman to get pregnant then something as minor as bc isn’t going to stop her getting pregnant. 

I think you're right on that. 

TRIGGER WARNING

I remember browsing through a book in a Christian bookstore 20 years ago. It was the true story of a couple who had moved to a rough neighborhood, hoping to minister to their neighbors there. I can't remember the title or the family's name, but I remember the story: a stranger broke into the house and raped the wife while the husband was at work. Surprisingly, everyone in their circle, including their pastor, advised her to take the morning after pill, and after some hesitation, she did so, just before the window of opportunity to take it closed. But it didn't work and she ended up giving birth to a daughter who was clearly biracial and therefore definitely not her husband's. They wrote the whole story and talked about how God used all these horrible things to give them a beautiful daughter who they loved and couldn't imagine life without. I still remember the cover, with the mom and daughter smiling and embracing. I just tried to search it up, though, and even though I have what I believe to be above-average Google skills, I could not find any evidence that this book or family ever existed. I wonder if they rethought having all those details out there (can you imagine being a teenage girl and having your classmates know all those details about how you came into the world?) because of just basic privacy issues or over concern that the rapist might try to claim custody.

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, Markie said:

My sister claimed (tongue in cheek, she is not fundie or religious in any way) that god really, really wanted her two daughters to be born as the first was conceived while she was on the pill and the second when they were using a condoms.

Of course she knew/knows that neither form of birth control is 100% guaranteed and varying factors can interfere with their effectiveness.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

The former Discovery Health channel had “I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant,” which ran for several seasons.  There were quite a few babies born after failed BC, including a tubal ligation that reversed itself after 10 years.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

The former Discovery Health channel had “I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant,” which ran for several seasons.  There were quite a few babies born after failed BC, including a tubal ligation that reversed itself after 10 years.

I remember that one!! Their were also a few stories where a vasectomy reversed itself. 

• Upvote 5

On 12/9/2020 at 8:21 AM, daisyjane1234 said:

There's a new post up.  Sarah continues to market  her book, as does Terri via her Mom's corner.

Terri says, "We don’t, however, want to give these children appetites for reading that will cause them to spend hours upon hours of profitable teen, young adult, and adult years entertaining themselves reading books. "  I cringed when reading that sentence.  And as we have all noted, it is the number one reason why Sarah will never write compelling books.  It is also the main reason that none of those kids will ever be able to think critically.  But I suppose that was the intent.

According to Terri, "Sarah’s goal in her books is to provide positive role models for children and limit or eliminate negative influences. I remember reading books to my children when they were elementary age, or them reading the books on their own, only to have them learn bad attitudes, critical or destructive words, and even negative actions from what they read."   I realize their goal is extreme-sheltering.  But if they never have to think about how they might respond to a challenging situation, or discuss why specific attitudes are "bad", how will they ever know how to cope.  Ah, yes, that is the point.  Build a bubble.  Live it in forever.  

Yes! This quote infuriated me! So adults should have no form of entertainment? Doing anything other than work is a waste of time?  This is ridiculous.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10

On 12/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, daisyjane1234 said:

There's a new post up.  Sarah continues to market  her book, as does Terri via her Mom's corner.

Terri says, "We don’t, however, want to give these children appetites for reading that will cause them to spend hours upon hours of profitable teen, young adult, and adult years entertaining themselves reading books. "  I cringed when reading that sentence.  And as we have all noted, it is the number one reason why Sarah will never write compelling books.  It is also the main reason that none of those kids will ever be able to think critically.  But I suppose that was the intent.

According to Terri, "Sarah’s goal in her books is to provide positive role models for children and limit or eliminate negative influences. I remember reading books to my children when they were elementary age, or them reading the books on their own, only to have them learn bad attitudes, critical or destructive words, and even negative actions from what they read."   I realize their goal is extreme-sheltering.  But if they never have to think about how they might respond to a challenging situation, or discuss why specific attitudes are "bad", how will they ever know how to cope.  Ah, yes, that is the point.  Build a bubble.  Live it in forever.  

That is the problem with Sarah's books. There is never really a lesson other than pray and depend on God and Jesus to provide. I remember reading books growing up as a child where the main character had to deal the tragedy and "negative influences". Children need to know that it is okay to be sad, disheartened and angry. The way Sarah is writing about Emma handling her sister's death by having her be all happy again after forgiving her aunt baffles me because children need to know that it is okay to be mad and sad about losing a relative. The "negative influences" that Sarah is eliminating from her books sounds like normal feelings that everyone has and suppressing them is a good thing, when it is not. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 7

I don’t think the Maxwell’s taught their children that it’s ok to have any feelings except happiness.

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7

On 12/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, daisyjane1234 said:

Terri says, "We don’t, however, want to give these children appetites for reading that will cause them to spend hours upon hours of profitable teen, young adult, and adult years entertaining themselves reading books. "

The act of reading, particularly engaged reading, as opposed to the mechanics of reading, is a powerful predictor of life success by any measure. It is the best predictor of who goes to university regardless of socio-economic background. It is the best predictor of life income, career options, even life partner choices. And neuroscience is proving that reading fiction is one of the most powerful means of developing sympathetic individuals, with better social skills and higher levels of self esteem, resulting in increasing self improvement and prosocial behaviours.

(from https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jerry-diakiw/reading-and-life-success_b_16404148.html)

But, ya know.  Better they spend their time profitably by dusting fan ceilings, caroling to the neighbors, mulching the garden, and popping out more uneducated babies.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I tested positive for covid, and while it is a *thankfully* seemingly mild case, my smell and taste are completely gone. I was just rummaging through the freezer for something lame to eat because I didn't want to "waste" the good food on my tasteless buds who wouldn't enjoy it... so what am I eating? A frozen Amy's GF bean burrito. Bland AF. and yet still probably more flavorful than the Max's version. Thank rufus I am not a max and can have spices and flavor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 26

5 minutes ago, Casserole said:

I tested positive for covid, and while it is a *thankfully* seemingly mild case, my smell and taste are completely gone. 

So sorry. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 13

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

I tested positive for covid, and while it is a *thankfully* seemingly mild case, my smell and taste are completely gone. I was just rummaging through the freezer for something lame to eat because I didn't want to "waste" the good food on my tasteless buds who wouldn't enjoy it... so what am I eating? A frozen Amy's GF bean burrito. Bland AF. and yet still probably more flavorful than the Max's version. Thank rufus I am not a max and can have spices and flavor. 

I’m sorry your feeling badly but I LOVE Amy’s frozen burritos! Admittedly the ones with gluten. ? I think bean burritos may be an idol to me. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I don’t think the Maxwell’s taught their children that it’s ok to have any feelings except happiness.

That's also a Michael Pearl opinion that children should always be happy.   No negativity is allowed,  period.   No boredom,  eye rolling, sadness,  anger,  frustration,  whatever.  Smile, and you damn well better mean it. 

Sarah writing a book about someone losing a sibling like that...  what the hell does she know about loss, anyway?  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Bajovane said:

Sarah writing a book about someone losing a sibling like that...  what the hell does she know about loss, anyway?  

That's the thing - she actually could write about loss, because I'm sure when her oldest niece died as a newborn it was absolutely devastating for her (and the rest of the family) but she continues to approach her writing without any emotions. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, Casserole said:

Oh no!! I hope you are feeling better soon.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

On 12/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Since this post/comments are from last year, no one was in Kansas City last year. Both Jesse and Joe moved this year to KC.

If you read the comment from Teri, the girls are preparing the meals separately from the parents.  It does not seem like they eat with their siblings. That all three girls decided to do the same meat restrictions seems unlikely. i think probably Steve and Teri made that decision. 

I could imagine Steve forbidding the "girls" from going to the grocery store independently. If that is the case, they're probably stuck eating whatever makes it through Teri's arcane listmaking ritual that week. They're vegetarian by fiat.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic