IGNORED

Maxwell 44: Must We Permit Mephistopheles and Beelzebub to Perform Financial and Performance Audits

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, freejugar said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into his posts, but there was a very smug tone back then when he mentioned that he had lowered with cholesterol with diet only and no pills, as if he were somehow better than people who had to take pills.

Also, for Steve the control freak this is another thing out of his control, he can control his crazy diet but he con't control the fact the he has to take pills.

If you read the comments, it sounds like they're banking on pills being a very short-term solution just to get the numbers down to where they need to be.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

If you read the comments, it sounds like they're banking on pills being a very short-term solution just to get the numbers down to where they need to be.

Lotsa luck, Stevehovah. You’re pushing 70 now, as am I, and our body systems aren’t automatically going to work as well as they did when we were younger. Some of the healthiest, most active people I know in my age group are now suffering from arthritis and getting joint replacements. One of my old friends, a lifelong dancer, had to stop her favorite outings—day trips to NYC for Broadway shows—because she can’t manage the walking anymore. An aerobics instructor blew out both her knees when she was still in her 50s and had them replaced.

Good diet and exercise are wise, but they won’t protect us from everything that can go wrong.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 9

6 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I read the post a year or so ago the same way. Steve didn't want statins so he changed his diet. Dr. was "amazed" & said keep doing what you're doing. 

Now, not so much, I guess. Even the great & powerful Steve, with the help of his wife preparing his food for him, could not control this one. 

One thing doctors recommend is "reducing stress levels".  This is really hard for a lot of people. Steve always comes off an intense, obsessive person. Everything seems stressful to him. I think he would really have hard time reducing stress. 

6 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

It doesn’t surprise me at all that she followed his diet. This is the woman who wouldn’t even remind her husband to order a pizza. His ego must be served at all times . I think Steve was shocked that the entire family didn’t eat exactly as he did.

They did order the pizza for pick-up. When they went to get the pizza, they drove for almost an hour in the wrong direction. Teri knew they were lost, but couldn't tell him. 

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

I'm happy the 3 SAHDs didnt follow the diet, that would have been ridiculous.

That's not as simple as it seems.  Read the comments on this blog post carefully.  Teri mentions that some of the meals the girls eat with them and some of them they cook for themselves. Also all of the girls started limiting their meat intake to 3oz a day completely by choice I'm sure. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I’ve been on a similar diet since my breast cancer diagnosis three years ago...similar, but not as compliant. Right now I’m eating linner (lunch/dinner):  wild caught salmon and quinoa and broccoli. My lipid numbers have always been excellent; this diet moved them a little, but not dramatically. 

My husband is purely a meat and potatoes guy. He didn’t change his diet at all for me, nor would I have expected him to, although his lipid numbers are naturally abysmal and he certainly could have benefited from it. I have coped by eating a lot of salads in the summer, and when it’s cold and I crave hot food, I cook my food one night and his the next. Leftovers are a given, but they’re very handy and give me days off from cooking for either of us occasionally. 

My husband has been on a statin for 15 years. His doctor just switched him to a different one because there was room for improvement. He’s complained just a little about muscle weakness, but his numbers improved so much that he is now at my levels (though his HDL:LDL ratio is not as good). Those meds work well and fast with minimal side effects. I don’t know why anyone would be resistant to taking them. 

I have a friend who is a Christian Scientist and when I first got cancer, she wanted to know how many pills I take a day now (in a curious, not judgemental way, though I didn’t appreciate the question). I told her I take as many as I need to keep myself alive. Between you and me, I’m now over 5 prescription meds, between asthma and allergies and lupus and cancer. I wouldn’t care if it took twice that. Better living through chemistry is my attitude. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 20

This is something I can't snark too hard on. I respect that fact that Steve made drastic lifestyle changes for his health and then took his doctor's advice and got on medication when needed. I can; however, snark on the fact that Teri was dragged into the diet as well. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

This is something I can't snark too hard on. I respect that fact that Steve made drastic lifestyle changes for his health and then took his doctor's advice and got on medication when needed. I can; however, snark on the fact that Teri was dragged into the diet as well. 

I agree, Steve is following the doctors orders and is doing what is best for his health by changing his diet and going on medication. But, he did drag Teri into following his diet and going along with his changes. If Steve and Teri weren't fundie, Teri probably would've left Steve long ago. In a way, I do pity Teri because she hasn't been happy since Sarah was born and is convinced that if she were to ever leave Steve she would be sent to Hell. Teri is just miserable, but I don't think she realizes it because of her faith and convictions. Going back through Teri's Mom Corners shows just how miserable she is. I believe that she has spent the past thirty plus years convincing herself that God is testing.

• Upvote 10

On 12/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

That's not as simple as it seems.  Read the comments on this blog post carefully.  Teri mentions that some of the meals the girls eat with them and some of them they cook for themselves. Also all of the girls started limiting their meat intake to 3oz a day completely by choice I'm sure. 

The daughters follow Steve's diet to an extent. In a way it does make sense if they are limiting their meat intake because they live with Steve and Teri and, probably, don't feel the need to eat a different meal than what their parents are eating. The girls do eat meat at their siblings homes and have it when their siblings come to visit. So, to me, in a way it does make sense if the girls started limiting their meat intake. On the bright side, at least the family may be actually eating meals that are good for them rather than extremely unhealthy recipes, like the chipped beef and ham casserole, that are filled with condensed cream of whatever soup and salt. 

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

If Steve and Teri weren't fundie, Teri probably would've left Steve long ago. In a way, I do pity Teri because she hasn't been happy since Sarah was born and is convinced that if she were to ever leave Steve she would be sent to Hell. Teri is just miserable, but I don't think she realizes it because of her faith and convictions. 

I very much agree with this. She’s been miserable for years. Teri had no outside friends who might have said something to her about Steve being a jerk. Her parents might have wanted to say something but didn’t because they knew if they did Steve wouldn’t allow them around their daughter or grandkids. 

I think I read somewhere once where Steve advised someone to cut a family member out of their lives because they didn’t agree with how this person was raising their kids. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

In that same post comments from last year, she says:

The family has a salad bar with the vegetables I have prepped twice a week. Sunday is our lunch with the marrieds which is salad and bean burritos. We can all eat that. So that leaves four other main meals a week. The girls have set up a meal plan rotation and have that meal responsibility divided between them. So they are preparing their separate meal.

Christ on a cracker, lady. You expect your married sons & their families to travel from Kansas City for the same old burritos they've eaten all their lives? Sunday lunch/dinner isn't a novel concept. Only, mostly, it conjures images of beef roasts, slow cooked spaghetti sauce, a roast chicken - all with all the fixings. Something a bit more extravagant than the average weekday meal. 

And, Teri - in a world that isn't Steve's, "the marrieds", while your sons & their families, are actually guests. To serve bean burritos & salad every freaking Sunday is a travesty. And an affront to Sunday Dinner. 

How sad. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 13

Especially not the Maxwell style of bean burrito, which is essentially a bean/onion/jalapeño slop inside a homemade tortilla. They don’t sound very appetising. Sarah mentioned ages ago that it’s her favourite meal, I wonder if that’s still the case. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1

51 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Especially not the Maxwell style of bean burrito, which is essentially a bean/onion/jalapeño slop inside a homemade tortilla. They don’t sound very appetising. Sarah mentioned ages ago that it’s her favourite meal, I wonder if that’s still the case. 

Considering the fact that the burritos are a staple food in the Maxwell house, it wouldn't shock me if the bean burritos were one of the better tasting meals in the home. It could still be the case, but Sarah and her sisters seem to enjoy eating at John and Chelsy's and Chelsy is an amazing cook. From the looks of it Sarah and her sisters probably go to their house (John and Chelsy's) once a week to get a delicious meal that isn't the vegan slop that Steve and Teri eat. I'm not saying vegan food is disgusting, but let's face it, it's the Maxwell's and Teri depends on her daughters, primarily Anna, to help her with cooking the meals. I get the feeling the Maxwell SAHD's head over there so Anna can get a break from Teri in the kitchen and have a meal that is actually stomach worthy. 

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

The family has a salad bar with the vegetables I have prepped twice a week. Sunday is our lunch with the marrieds which is salad and bean burritos. We can all eat that. So that leaves four other main meals a week. The girls have set up a meal plan rotation and have that meal responsibility divided between them. So they are preparing their separate meal.

Christ on a cracker, lady. You expect your married sons & their families to travel from Kansas City for the same old burritos they've eaten all their lives? Sunday lunch/dinner isn't a novel concept. Only, mostly, it conjures images of beef roasts, slow cooked spaghetti sauce, a roast chicken - all with all the fixings. Something a bit more extravagant than the average weekday meal. 

And, Teri - in a world that isn't Steve's, "the marrieds", while your sons & their families, are actually guests. To serve bean burritos & salad every freaking Sunday is a travesty. And an affront to Sunday Dinner. 

How sad. 

Kansas City is close to where the Maxwell's live, so it's not too far of a drive. Also, I get the feeling they know what they are expecting when they get there. Plus, the bland burritos is a cheap and easy meal for them to make for many people. But, still, every now and then they could mix it up a bit and actually make a good Sunday dinner. 

• Upvote 6

Or all of them could provide something.  They could even have a theme:  French, Italian, Chinese..etc.

Or would that be too radical?

Also:  I can't stand bean burritos.  

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

How sad. 

Since this post/comments are from last year, no one was in Kansas City last year. Both Jesse and Joe moved this year to KC.

3 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

The daughters follow Steve's diet to an extent. In a way it does make sense if they are limiting their meat intake because they live with Steve and Teri and, probably, don't feel the need to eat a different meal than what their parents are eating. The girls do eat meat at their siblings homes and have it when their siblings come to visit. So, to me, in a way it does make sense if the girls started limiting their meat intake. On the bright side, at least the family may be actually eating meals that are good for them rather than extremely unhealthy recipes, like the chipped beef and ham casserole, that are filled with condensed cream of whatever soup and salt. 

If you read the comment from Teri, the girls are preparing the meals separately from the parents.  It does not seem like they eat with their siblings. That all three girls decided to do the same meat restrictions seems unlikely. i think probably Steve and Teri made that decision. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Considering the fact that the burritos are a staple food in the Maxwell house, it wouldn't shock me if the bean burritos were one of the better tasting meals in the home. It could still be the case, but Sarah and her sisters seem to enjoy eating at John and Chelsy's and Chelsy is an amazing cook. From the looks of it Sarah and her sisters probably go to their house (John and Chelsy's) once a week to get a delicious meal that isn't the vegan slop that Steve and Teri eat. I'm not saying vegan food is disgusting, but let's face it, it's the Maxwell's and Teri depends on her daughters, primarily Anna, to help her with cooking the meals. I get the feeling the Maxwell SAHD's head over there so Anna can get a break from Teri in the kitchen and have a meal that is actually stomach worthy. 

Kansas City is close to where the Maxwell's live, so it's not too far of a drive. Also, I get the feeling they know what they are expecting when they get there. Plus, the bland burritos is a cheap and easy meal for them to make for many people. But, still, every now and then they could mix it up a bit and actually make a good Sunday dinner. 

If you are entertaining your grown kids make a dinner they would want to drive for and look forward to:  have a roast, potatoes & all the trimmings.  What about spaghetti & meatballs or lasagna?  How about fried chicken (yummy!)!  Or, how about one Sunday have a chili contest & every family bring a crock pot for a friendly family competition?

The other down and dirty meal I make that everyone loves is chicken & rice:  Get two Costco chickens & debone.   In the stock pot sauté 2 onions & 1 celery head chopped in butter.  Add one of the bag of Costco baby carrots, garlic, salt, paprika, basil & garlic.  Throw in 2 32 Oz of chicken broth, 2 cups of rice and the chopped of chicken.  (You can stretch the meal by adding another cup of rice and a box of chicken broth) Let it cook until the rice is cooked.  Yummy!  Feeds a lot of people, tastes good & everyone leaves satisfied.  

There are tons of great meals out there to serve a crowd that are at every price point imaginable.  

The plain bean burritos: Yuk!  

• Upvote 10

Looks like Anna Marie does have hair growth. Maybe she isn't comfortable with having short hair. Wondering what the Maxwell kids were taught about Thanksgiving?

• Upvote 5

From the latest blog post:

"They’ve very careful of colds and things, but we were all healthy, and they came over along with Gigi."

This brilliant statement is from the author of the family! 

Edited by Elegant Mess
Stray word
  • Upvote 14

Bean burritos- I have always assumed the Maxwells kept this meal on Sundays to do as little work as possible- Keeping the Sabbath Holy.  They have this food prepped and it requires the bare minimum of effort to prepare at meal time.  Make it the same, make it in bulk, no thought process needed. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Why are they still wearing their aprons at the table? Might a speck of food land on their underclothes and somehow profane them?

And the kids wearing terrible "Indian" vests.  *facepalm* 

• Upvote 8

I’m sad for Anna. I bet her hair growth is at a super cute stage. I wonder how long she’ll keep her head covered. It’s unfortunate she isn’t comfortable without covering. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, NoseyNellie said:

Bean burritos- I have always assumed the Maxwells kept this meal on Sundays to do as little work as possible- Keeping the Sabbath Holy.  They have this food prepped and it requires the bare minimum of effort to prepare at meal time.  Make it the same, make it in bulk, no thought process needed. 

I think they actually said as much in a blog post probably ten years ago. Though if they weren't so repetitive in everything they did, they might realize that many other things could be prepped on Saturday for a crock pot meal - even pot roast could be done ahead, as long as the potatoes were kept submerged. Having something besides bean puree doesn't have to be a lot of same-day work.

19 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I’m sad for Anna. I bet her hair growth is at a super cute stage. I wonder how long she’ll keep her head covered. It’s unfortunate she isn’t comfortable without covering. 

In the evening pie pictures it looks like she's just wearing a headband with her hair. I'm sure it's very frustrating for her because probably the last time she had hair that short she was Simon Peter's age and she hasn't a clue how to style it in a cute way while it grows out. If she were from a regular family she could rock and enjoy the pixie look while it's here but I'm afraid she's just sad because she thinks she looks wrong without long hair.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, Bethy said:

In the evening pie pictures it looks like she's just wearing a headband with her hair.

You’re right! I (wrongly) assumed that was Abby (I don’t think the Nathan Maxwell crew were even there)

• Upvote 2

I'm glad Anna is feeling better and I hope they are really really careful when it comes to meeting other people. I can understand that she hesitates in showing her short hair, I can imagine that I would be the same. I hope her recovery continues and she gains back her health.

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

From the latest blog post:

"They’ve very careful of colds and things, but we were all healthy, and they came over along with Gigi."

This brilliant statement is from the author of the family! 

Yup. All the marks of a writer who is tired of writing and things, but dutifully toils away. 

I made most of my living at writing and editing. I’m about to send my publications to recycling and shedding a tear. I LOVED WRITING. I’m truly sad for Sarah that she doesn’t seem to, yet must. 

I think of writing as a craft  Need I say more? *sigh*  Poor gal, srsly.  

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic