IGNORED

Maxwell 44: Must We Permit Mephistopheles and Beelzebub to Perform Financial and Performance Audits

Coconut Flan

I'm exhausted by Sarah's use of "intense". Like so many other words, she seem to latch onto it and hold on for dear life. Everything freaking "season" is intense for the Maxwells. 

No wonder Steve has heart problems, living such an intense life and all.

And, I find it so sad that Sara is writing "books" for others to read when she can't string 10 words together to create a cohesive sentence that expresses a thought. 

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

I saw the Maxwell's thanking the mailman post. Despite all the snark I am happy they highlighted the work that postal carriers do. I know people who work at the post office and they really appreciate it when people recognize their hard work because they don't think many people realize it.

Other than that, I am surprised they used a photo of him wearing shorts. Aren't shorts considered immodest for both me and women in the Maxwell world?

8 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

I think they study the Bible like alcoholics at AA meetings go through the Big Book. I remember one day in the life, early on, when Sarah wrote that the kids like to gather early to chat before Bible. It’s like they are in treatment... and they are, it’s Steve Programming. It’s so sad and unnatural. 

The family studies the bible, like many other fundie families, to the point where the kids have scripture memorized. Chelsy mentioned she met John at a Bible Bee event, which is like a spelling bee but you have to recall scripture instead of spell words. Anna Marie has done blog posts about scripture memorizing. I think the bible time is more of a way to discuss their interpretation of the bible (more like Steve's) and take time to memorize passages. 

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, molecule said:

Also, I think it's strange that they have Bible time but don't think to list God time in all their schedules. I've never understood why b some Christians value the Bible more than they seem to value the one behind the bible.

People call it Bible time, prayer time, devotions, worship time, etc, but I've never heard anyone call it God time.  It's a short cut name for time spent in prayer, meditation, Bible reading/study, and worship.  It's exact execution varies by person and with each person may vary from year to year or even day to day.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 14

On 12/14/2020 at 7:44 AM, Bethy said:

So Nathan and Christopher's families opted out of the soup fest...but Abby and Bethany were there. I guess the point is probably moot because they were all exposed to whatever any of them had while they were roaming the neighborhood singing (one of the most dangerous things you can do in this pandemic) but there they are, getting exposed again at the unmasked soup table. I guess maybe in the grand scheme of Maxwells I should be thankful for their sakes that they're getting some little privilege not afforded to their toddler siblings.

I'm guessing Nate's family opted out more because of the late hour than because of covid. They younger kids probably went to bed but they let A and B stay up. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I saw the Maxwell's thanking the mailman post. Despite all the snark I am happy they highlighted the work that postal carriers do. I know people who work at the post office and they really appreciate it when people recognize their hard work because they don't think many people realize it.

Other than that, I am surprised they used a photo of him wearing shorts. Aren't shorts considered immodest for both me and women in the Maxwell world?

Lol at shorts being immodest!  I was about to ask if they have photoshopped the bauble in the picture that looks like it should say Happy Holidays.  But deciding whether to praise the man in shorts probably took up all their time!

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

Lol at shorts being immodest!  I was about to ask if they have photoshopped the bauble in the picture that looks like it should say Happy Holidays.  But deciding whether to praise the man in shorts probably took up all their time!

We should just be glad (though perhaps surprised) that they didn't try to photoshop in long pants like they did to cover the bit of belly that got shown during one of Nathan's kid's baptism..

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

9 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

We should just be glad (though perhaps surprised) that they didn't try to photoshop in long pants like they did to cover the bit of belly that got shown during one of Nathan's kid's baptism..

They photoshopped a child's belly?  Goodness!  

Fake long pants would be brilliant ???

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

There was a post several months ago where friends came to visit and there was much discussion here as to whether they had done a poor job photoshopping a friend's jeans into a skirt or whether the friend had done a poor job matching fabric to fill in between the legs to make said jeans into a skirt for real.

• Upvote 12

I imagine bible time is they were assigned some verses to read for next session, or they read together a few verses at the beginning of session, then listen to Steve stevesplain what they mean, and how all the rest of them are sinners whose faults are highlighted in this passage, and how they should spend the rest of the session repenting and gnashing and wailing for forgiveness for whatever imagined faults Steve has assigned to each individual.    

• Upvote 7

In other news, it’s a snow day here in Connecticut (most of the superintendents of schools have declared a “no Zoom—just make hot cocoa and snowmen” day), and even though I am retired and have no responsibilities, I am blizzard-baking. Right now I have a third of a batch of the much-vaunted Poppy Seed Loaf (or, as I’d prefer to call it, “poppyseed loaf”) in mini-Bundt pans in the oven. Because reasons. I omitted the butter flavoring because it isn’t something I buy.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

Yes, yes they did. 

https://blog.titus2.com/2015/02/25/all-things-new/

The picture is a way's down, right above the description about Bethany asking Jesus into her heart. 

Her brown belly was apparently so natural no one would notice. Again, they drew attention TO whatever they were trying to hide far more than if they'd just have left it alone. Only the Maxwells would think it's inappropriate to show a picture with a child being baptized/dunked in water & have her shirt ride up a bit. 

And, the skirt/pants debate picture is in this post. 

https://blog.titus2.com/2019/07/22/random-life-from-challenges-to-the-coming-welcome-home/

Right above the statement about sweet fellowship with friends. (and they said that unironically - not at all the way FJ uses sweet fellowship).

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

9C886BE0-9402-4951-B3B4-9FC9A4D02357.thumb.jpeg.362f319e53f03db401a3f9cdcfbfc18e.jpeg

I can't find where on FJ it was discussed, sorry.  That brown triangle below her shirt hem was what was presumed to be "covered" via photoshop.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

Presenting my heathen take on the Maxwell recipe. BRB after my taste test!

4338534C-AE8F-477D-B6F5-2B2F6F9E8724.jpeg

• Upvote 13
  • Love 8

I think it’s very good. The glaze really makes it, it’s crumbly and delicious. Very strong almond flavor but I like it. To me it tastes almost store bought. We’re sending the other loaf down to the neighbor. We won’t sing at her. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Hane said:

In other news, it’s a snow day here in Connecticut (most of the superintendents of schools have declared a “no Zoom—just make hot cocoa and snowmen” day), and even though I am retired and have no responsibilities, I am blizzard-baking. Right now I have a third of a batch of the much-vaunted Poppy Seed Loaf (or, as I’d prefer to call it, “poppyseed loaf”) in mini-Bundt pans in the oven. Because reasons. I omitted the butter flavoring because it isn’t something I buy.

I'm glad to hear there are still snow days, even with Zoom.  I read an article recently that said this could be the end of snow days, what with Zoom, homeschooling, etc.  I hope not.  Everybody needs an unexpected day off now and again.

Did you substitute anything for the butter flavoring.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

35 minutes ago, kpmom said:

35 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Did you substitute anything for the butter flavoring.

No—the almond and vanilla were flavorful enough. It really is a pretty good recipe, even though I didn’t bother with the glaze. Next time I may try fiori di Sicilia flavoring instead: it’s a combination of citrus, vanilla, and floral notes.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Agree!  Both my BILs are retired mail carriers.

Also, mail delivery is the highlight of the day for some people stuck at home, especially older folks.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

The baptism post is wild. 

I laughed a lot at the fake scenery behind the little theatre window and pool.

A little girl's bare belly is the least of what's wrong with it all. This photo looks like the dad is hitting or drowning the girl, inside a sort of giant tv with the church looking on ??  I just love how they over-explain everyday things like soup and salad, but post almost unbelievable pictures with no explanation.

The postman got off lightly with his bare legs.  I'm surprised they didn't take him a pair of old trousers to put on for the sake of their blog!

image.png

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

11 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

The baptism post is wild. 

I laughed a lot at the fake scenery behind the little theatre window and pool.

A little girl's bare belly is the least of what's wrong with it all. This photo looks like the dad is hitting or drowning the girl, inside a sort of giant tv with the church looking on ??  I just love how they over-explain everyday things like soup and salad, but post almost unbelievable pictures with no explanation.

The postman got off lightly with his bare legs.  I'm surprised they didn't take him a pair of old trousers to put on for the sake of their blog!

image.png

The church I grew up in had a baptismal pool at the front of the church similar to that one. But no mural. I would daydream in church about swimming around in it. I would get so bored during sermons.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The church I grew up in had a baptismal pool at the front of the church similar to that one. But no mural. I would daydream in church about swimming around in it. I would get so bored during sermons.

Same! I always thought it would make a super fun swimming pool. Then I got baptized for real and found out the water was COLD!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

When I had my “believers’ baptism” in the ‘80s, my fundie-lite church had no font of its own(it had originally been a Catholic Church), so we used the facilities of a nearby Baptist church.  The water, fortunately, was nice and warm.(They’ve since built a new church around the corner, which presumably has a baptismal pool.)

• Upvote 6

49 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Same! I always thought it would make a super fun swimming pool. Then I got baptized for real and found out the water was COLD!

I swear whoever filled that thing the day I was baptized made the water perfect! It wasn’t too hot or too cold! I remember wanting to stay in it so bad but I had to get right out after I was baptized. 

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic