IGNORED

Maxwell 44: Must We Permit Mephistopheles and Beelzebub to Perform Financial and Performance Audits

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know these are all very small things and all the kids are still fundie. However I love seeing them do things differently from Steve because he’s such a control freak. It would make me want to do the opposite of anything he says! 

Not if you were raised with as much Gothard as these kids apparently were. That particular brand of fundie teaches that God will judge you in horrible ways if you disobey/dishonor your parents and that extends into adulthood. So they may be putting up Christmas trees or allowing Santa hats but they're probably quaking in their boots unless they've found a good therapist to help them get over this stuff!

• Upvote 6

On 12/14/2020 at 7:44 AM, Bethy said:

People "accepted" the poppy seed loaf but I'd pay money to know how many of them smiled, waved, closed the front door, and deposited the loaf in the nearest trash receptacle.

That's exactly what I would do.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

37 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Do the Maxwells realize eating poppy seeds can lead to a positive heroin test?

https://www.winchesterhospital.org/health-library/article?id=156998

Yet another reason the Max sons should never work for "The Man"--mandatory drug testing.

Disclaimer: I worked for The Man for several decades and was never asked to take a drug test, not even when I was getting my security clearance.

• Upvote 11

49 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Do the Maxwells realize eating poppy seeds can lead to a positive heroin test?

https://www.winchesterhospital.org/health-library/article?id=156998

Probably not. I learned that while watching the Seinfeld episode where Elaine has to get some blood work and ended up testing positive for heroin after eating a poppy seed bagel. And Steve doesn't think tv can be educational ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

Do you think prospects for the girls get even bleaker every time the sons “rebel”?

Steve has said in the past that he is pleased Nathan and Christopher don’t have Christmas trees, don’t do Easter eggs or the Easter bunny or Santa or basically anything fun and magical.

Now we have Reversal sons who’s daughter wear pants, they have Christmas trees, they’ve moved further away, they go to a proper church, they seem to live their own lives......

Is it from having years of witnessing how Nathan and Christopher live and realising it’s too dull? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

20 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Probably not. I learned that while watching the Seinfeld episode where Elaine has to get some blood work and ended up testing positive for heroin after eating a poppy seed bagel. And Steve doesn't think tv can be educational ?

I was Industrial Relations-adjacent for much of my career and enjoyed it immensely (remember the “-adjacent” part), especially when drug-testing became A Thing. 

One poor guy averred that he had eaten, in the 24 hours preceding his unscheduled test, poppyseed bagels, poppyseed cookies and ham on poppyseed rye all washed down with I forget what kind of non-alcoholic beverage.

Really, guys, that was the reason for his positive results for marijuana !!! 

How the union and company negotiators  maintained such straight faces ....

Good times! Glad they’re gone forever out of my life, actually. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

I've had drug tests for every job I've been offered in the last 2.5 years. And, it's been quite a few given acquisitions of two separate employers within the first year of starting. 

I worked for a retail chain a couple of years ago for what ended up being about 6 weeks between the first & second jobs/acquisitions (layoffs) and had to be drug tested there too. 

Side note: Where I am now, and have been since July, hasn't merged or been acquired, but they are doing some heavy layoffs - up to 20%, which they announced in October. I think it's safe to say at this point that if I am hired somewhere, everyone else should run because as soon as I show up, one hammer or another drops. (I don't know yet if I'm going to be part of the 20%. It seems unlikely, given the vague criteria they've actually shared, but we don't know anything for sure yet and won't until January or February). 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 11

10 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Steve Maxwell is a modern day Ebenezer Scrooge.

He is a joyless miser so he has that going for him (on the Scrooge front).  Since the Stevehovah is fixated on where people go when they die, he would make a brilliant Jacob Marley too.

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 12/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, Hane said:

Am I alone in being a total twunt and thinking the artwork on the covers of the Hill Top books is pretty amateurish (no offense to amateurs)?

Nope. I said in a previous thread that the way Mary draws faces is really unsettling. I don't quite know why.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

If the boy on the front cover is Emma’s brother Ethan, he seems to have the exact same facial expression as on the previous book. Sort of a smug look. 

• Upvote 5

It's because her face is shaped like a balloon or a potato, then Mary squished in all her tiny features and Nurie's sperm eyebrows on that massive face.  Add in some electric-shock hair and you have nightmares for days.

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 10
  • Thank You 1

Her drawing reminds me of the drawings in the book, ‘Scary Stories to tell in the dark’. They have a similar weird rough-pencil look and weird faces. And when you think about it both of the books are full of scary stories. 

I don’t think of lemon as a Christmas flavor at all. Orange, cranberry, chocolate, spices and almond are Christmas. Lemon is a spring flavor, poppyseed is a spring flavor too (I think because I associate them with the cookies you get around Purim.)

And I’m one of those people who has always sincerely believed that my uncle tested positive for drugs once because he’d eaten a poppyseed bagel right before. I know, I know, it makes no sense but my uncle just isn’t intelligent enough to know where to buy illegal drugs.....he’s one of those people who you meet him and reincarnation makes SO much sense because it is SO obvious that he has never been here before.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

Guys --- I CHOPPED THE SPINACH!

I used my pizza wheel (roughly 2.5" diameter) in a wooden bowl 17" in diameter and 7" deep at the center!

I had a bag of fresh spinach and did not anticipate it as the stems tend to get stuck in my dental work.  Then I glanced at the wooden bowl, thought about the pizza cutter, and VOILA! Mystery revealed!

Steve, Teri & Sarah, you held us captive long enough so here are the deets:

Put about 8 oz of fresh spinach in a big wooden bowl. Run the pizza wheel across the stuff as many times, in as many directions, as you need to, to obtain the desired level of chopped-ness.

The wheeling will have released a lot of moisture from the spinach, so if you don't plan to cook or consume it right away, pat the moisture out with clean towels before pouring the chopped spinach back into your designated container.

If only I had learnt to upload photos and videos, I would have!

But there you go, there you are.  Remember, the MJB explained it all to you.

Ta-daaah!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 10
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 6

21 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Do you think prospects for the girls get even bleaker every time the sons “rebel”?

Steve has said in the past that he is pleased Nathan and Christopher don’t have Christmas trees, don’t do Easter eggs or the Easter bunny or Santa or basically anything fun and magical.

Now we have Reversal sons who’s daughter wear pants, they have Christmas trees, they’ve moved further away, they go to a proper church, they seem to live their own lives......

Is it from having years of witnessing how Nathan and Christopher live and realising it’s too dull? 

Even the dullest son's life has to be better than "the girls'" lives with Mom and Dad.

• Upvote 14

I used to work in Human Resources.  One of my co-workers was a recruiter, and she told me about a situation that she had encountered at her prior job.  As part of the post-offer process, recruits had to take a drug test.  One of their applicants tested positive for a drug, and so my co-worker had to ask her about the positive test.  The applicant's response was that she hadn't taken any drugs, but that she had given oral sex to someone who had taken drugs, so when she swallowed, it had gotten into her system.

The offer of employment was withdrawn.  I still laugh when I think of the applicant's response.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 14

I had a co-worker who had to challenge a pre-employment drug test, to get his job.  He interviewed well, had great experience and references, but failed the drug screening.  This guy was absolutely clean, he didn't even drink caffeine.   He did some research on false positives, and presented his case to our department head and HR.  Department head was quite disappointed because they really wanted to hire this guy.  My co-worker offered to pay out of pocket for another test, and for the more expensive blood tests, not just the saliva testing done before.  He passed with flying colors.  He asked for,  and got in writing on the testing lab's letterhead, a statement that they acknowledged the incorrect test results.  He got several copies of the letter, one went into his HR files, the other was kept in his own personal papers just in case.   He also managed  to get the company to change their policy of never allowing a second test, to re-consider actions on a one by one basis.       

• Upvote 20
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

If the boy on the front cover is Emma’s brother Ethan, he seems to have the exact same facial expression as on the previous book. Sort of a smug look. 

Clearly Mary paints what she sees.

• Upvote 14

New post: accolades for the mailman, but mainly a plug for their books. It’s been a busy shipping season! Best Sarah moment: “Frankly, we don’t remember seeing him grumpy or heard him complain.” She is... not a great conversationalist. 

After several years of planning it, I made their caroling bread tonight. I only deviated with almond milk versus dairy milk. I didn’t take nearly enough pictures but I did get a few. I haven’t tried it yet because I’m chunky and it’s almost 2 am. 

BEF62E6F-6CEA-4BF0-BF65-51704C5937EB.jpeg

8C2042EB-4418-45D5-B8D8-683E76E83491.jpeg

105D66EC-712C-4634-80C7-E3316D4CA1D8.jpeg

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

I was just looking at a few of Teri's articles and got to wondering...what exactly do they do during family Bible time? Are they reading the Bible together out loud,. Sharing about what their individual Bible time was about?

Also, I think it's strange that they have Bible time but don't think to list God time in all their schedules. I've never understood why b some Christians value the Bible more than they seem to value the one behind the bible.

• Upvote 12

I think they study the Bible like alcoholics at AA meetings go through the Big Book. I remember one day in the life, early on, when Sarah wrote that the kids like to gather early to chat before Bible. It’s like they are in treatment... and they are, it’s Steve Programming. It’s so sad and unnatural. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

I love the post about how the Maxwells only obtain services from the best yet Sarah publishes mediocre children’s literature & the blog narrative by Teri/Steve is the pits.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic