IGNORED

Voting: How's It Going

SilverBeach

My nephew voted. It's the first election he is old enough to. I'm pleased because I didn't think he was going to.

• Upvote 6

I've voted via legit CA dropbox and received confirmation of my ballot being received. I have to say, I'm absolutely terrified. The last four years have been so traumatic for so many of us. Never again am I going to make assumptions about an election.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I got confirmation that my vote was received, as was my Mom's, yesterday.

Last night, I had one of those dreams in which you can't get where you are trying to go. I was trying to get to a teaching appointment with a child on the autism spectrum. I kept finding myself trapped  in a dead end, or on the same street again, sometimes on foot, sometimes in a car. Off and on during the dream, I could see the Statue of Liberty, and tried to use it as a landmark, but it kept disappearing.

Not subtle, brain. Not subtle at all. I guess when something is this important, my subconscious doesn't bother with complex metaphors.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

Received confirmation that my ballot was received in the county  drop box. Don't know why they didn't have a drive-up box, but I managed to get through the gauntlet and finally get my ballot deposited. Here, the mail ballots won't be opened until election day.  I've never had so much anxiety about voting and an election in my life.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 9

My ballot has been received! In my county we had to mail it back through the post office and couldn’t drop it off. But I called this morning and they said they got it! All is good here!! 

• Upvote 10

Went yesterday for early voting with one of my sons and the line was crazy long, just as it was when my other son early voted last week.  

In a town that is 93.7% white more than half of those in line were people of color.  Poll workers said early voting turnout has been huge...hopefully the demographics of people flooding the polls mean good things for us, statistically.

I was parked next to some monster who put a pic of trump on their back window so it looked like they were chauffeuring him.  I didn't touch it because I don't break the law, but you'd think by the time you get to my age you would be past wanting to vandalize someone's car.

Anyway, I'm in Illinois and we're gonna go blue regardless, but still felt good voting and adding my voice to what I hope will be a landslide repudiation of the shitstorm that is Trump.

Oh and kind of funny anecdote...one of the poll workers was very businesslike and kind of terse when dealing with people.  Not overtly rude, but curt.

After I handed her my printed ballot to scan (where you could clearly see Biden/Harris selected) she beamed at me, called me honey, and patted my shoulder.  Little moment of camaraderie in the midst of all this crap. 

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 18
  • Love 1

I mailed my ballot Saturday and got confirmation yesterday that it was received and accepted. My vote doesn’t matter since I live in a reliably blue state, but it still makes me happy to know I tried to help.

• Upvote 13

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Went yesterday for early voting with one of my sons and the line was crazy long, just as it was when my other son early voted last week.  

In a town that is 93.7% white more than half of those in line were people of color.  Poll workers said early voting turnout has been huge...hopefully the demographics of people flooding the polls mean good things for us, statistically.

I was parked next to some monster who put a pic of trump on their back window so it looked like they were chauffeuring him.  I didn't touch it because I don't break the law, but you'd think by the time you get to my age you would be past wanting to vandalize someone's car.

Anyway, I'm in Illinois and we're gonna go blue regardless, but still felt good voting and adding my voice to what I hope will be a landslide repudiation of the shitstorm that is Trump.

Oh and kind of funny anecdote...one of the poll workers was very businesslike and kind of terse when dealing with people.  Not overtly rude, but curt.

After I handed her my printed ballot to scan (where you could clearly see Biden/Harris selected) she beamed at me, called me honey, and patted my shoulder.  Little moment of camaraderie in the midst of all this crap. 

I'm in Illinois too. The library I work with has early voting as well as a drop box. For the last several elections, I have been able to just walk in on my break and vote. This year that was not possible. The lines, despite cold weather and rain, have been long, stretching out the door and down the street. I finally came in on Sunday, my day off and the wait was about 45 minutes. My husband came by yesterday and it was about 1/2 hour. As I said, I have never seen it like this. 

I know we will probably go blue, but I'm not chancing it. My husband, who never liked any presidential candidate much and figured we would be blue anyways (he leans more blue regardless)  for go his dependable write in choice, Teddy Roosevelt and voted for Biden, who he likes. 

I would have been tempted to break the window or key the car. 

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I would have been tempted to break the window or key the car

I was tempted.  Here’s what the abomination looked like.

Spoiler

19DF808F-97A0-4E70-B435-AA0166B2E402.jpeg

Added spoiler because if anything should be hidden it’s his stupid face.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 2

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My very sassy long-time pharmacist has done a 180 with me after seeing the Biden pin on my purse. 

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, Destiny said:

My vote doesn’t matter

Whoah, wrong assumption there, @Destiny. Every single vote counts. Every. single. one.

It's this kind of thinking that kept so many Americans home last time... 

• Upvote 12

55 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Whoah, wrong assumption there, @Destiny. Every single vote counts. Every. single. one.

Yes - I mean, the truth is some votes count MORE because of how our system is set up - but I really hope everyone who wants Trump out votes regardless of how their state is expected to go. It might not affect the electoral college, but the popular vote numbers will be published and it's important to have all those votes to show how the majority of the US feels. 

Trump lost by like 3 million last time. I'd like to see it be way more than that this time.

If nothing else, people should vote just to chap his thin skinned ass.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

My coworker told me he wasn’t going to vote. It doesn’t matter, he said, who is president. It won’t affect my life. I replied that is true, you and I honestly won’t be affected a lot but if trump wins, a lot of people are going to lose their health care. 
I think he’s starting to think.

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 1

For the people who "aren't going to vote" or "my vote doesn't matter" - are there not congressional or senatorial races in your district? What about local ballot measures? Or judge retentions? California has some interesting ballot measures. 

My Presidential vote doesn't matter, but I vote because every election, we get closer and closer to getting rid of Don Young before he dies. It's also nice to be able to say, well, yes, X number of My Stateians voted Republican, but almost half are not. You know, for arguing on the internet purposes. Or in person. Whatever. 

There's also a McConnell Bot in the jr Senate seat, who is tied with an Independent candidate. But more than that, the ballot measure and the judge retention program. Sure, i'm one of like, six people who looks up the judges. There's also State Senate & State House, and those races are much more important for everyone's day-to-day behavior, and votes mean more because so many people abstain from voting on those races. 

My local elections are in April, but I know some areas combine everything. Either way, could you find an argument there for people to vote? Sure, voting on tax structure of various industries isn't sexy, but it's important to fund state services somehow. 

Edited by Maggie Mae
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I did in-person early voting today. It was jammed. My county has a main early location at our government center and 15 satellite locations. I went to a satellite location. There were at least 60 people in line when I got there and the line kept growing. If it wouldn't have invalidated my ballot, I would have loved to scrawl "fuck no" over Twitler and Mother's Boy's names.

@HerNameIsBuffy -- Amazon sells a similar product, but with Darth Vader as the passenger. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

image.png.621cf9426710022030e5e4417933d910.png

Actually, it appears there are several Star Wars "passenger" stickers, including Stormtrooper, Yoda, and Chewbacca.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Amazon sells a similar product, but with Darth Vader as the passenger. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

What's the difference really ?   

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

Whoah, wrong assumption there, [mention=11277]Destiny[/mention]. Every single vote counts. Every. single. one.

No, it literally does not matter in my state due to the stupid, out of date electoral college. My state will never vote for trump, so my vote is irrelevant. I will always vote, but I also know it doesn’t matter for the EC if I don’t. Also, there’s downballot stuff and I have a dream of dumping my asshole congressman. It likely won’t be realised because it’s a very red district but I can still dream.

• Upvote 8

I need to finish researching how to vote in some state and local elections. I live in Michigan, so my vote for Biden will make a difference. I am really hoping my state rep gets replaced. There are two school board openings, and I think that decision Is especially important this year. Many elections in my state have millages on the ballot that effect funding for police, fire, schools, libraries, etc. After 2016, I decided that I will never skip an election.

• Upvote 13

I am glad you mentioned that about your school board election. Yes local elections are extremely important. That's how many politicians get their start and eventually becomes state leaders.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

18 hours ago, Emma said:

My coworker told me he wasn’t going to vote. It doesn’t matter, he said, who is president. It won’t affect my life. I replied that is true, you and I honestly won’t be affected a lot but if trump wins, a lot of people are going to lose their health care. 
I think he’s starting to think.

It won't affect his life? It already does! We're creeping up on a quarter of a million people dead from Covid. Much of the planet is closed to us, due to our president's response to Covid. This guy wants to travel overseas for vacation? Good luck. Even places that are open to us, he'd likely get a "look" from people sometimes - our reputation worldwide is horrific. 

And if Trump is re-elected? He won't have to worry about re-election so there'll be no limits on him whatsoever in his mind. Can you imagine what a Trump presidency would look like without him campaigning the whole time? He's going to find a way to stay on as long as he wants, and to make Ivanka president once he's ready to go golf even more. He sucks up to dictators. He blatantly disregards the constitution. He funnels as much tax money as possible into his own pockets. He is racist, sexist, and does not care the slightest bit for any person not directly related to him - and he only cares for them as long as they're kissing his ass I'd bet. 

And he has access to the nuclear codes. 

Everyone's life will be affected if he remains president. Everyone. Even people in other countries will likely be affected in some way, even if it's just the daily horror of wondering what the US did today.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

This guy is rabid pro trump. This is the first time he didn’t have a snappy comeback. He just stood there with the deer in the headlights look as I walked off. I try to avoid politics with this guy but he keeps bringing it up.

What I find truly baffling is that he’s a Mexican immigrant. As bad as his English is, he’s the only one in his family that speaks any English at all.

I do not understand people.

Edited by Emma
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

image.png.52fabfe218fac85c7c9fee421d8844b0.png

More under spoiler:

Spoiler

image.png.234b826245017b47c3c70d7f1d501c0f.png

image.png.a314aa2baae8d4a69b3c9edcdbb700d5.png

• Upvote 6

Voting enthusiasm Is higher than in 2008. This is a good sign right? Right?IMG_20201030_172739.jpg.cf47adba80a8b10a9ca2304865ec60aa.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• Destiny locked and unlocked this topic
  • Destiny locked this topic