IGNORED

Voting: How's It Going

SilverBeach

I have been obsessively checking the status of my ballot since I put it in the drop box. My mail-in vote shows up as “accepted” today!  

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

Husband and I voted via (official) CA drop-off box last weekend. We were a little bummed to be voting in CA as we thought we would have moved to MN by now where our votes would be more decisive (alas delayed due to covid), but voting seems so life or death this time. 

I'm a young millennial and have only been able to vote in 3 presidential elections, but I'll never skip a vote after seeing what happened in 2016 and the four horrifically long years since.

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

On 10/28/2020 at 2:00 PM, Emma said:

My coworker told me he wasn’t going to vote. It doesn’t matter, he said, who is president. It won’t affect my life. I replied that is true, you and I honestly won’t be affected a lot but if trump wins, a lot of people are going to lose their health care. 
I think he’s starting to think.

I thought maybe we worked together until the last sentence.  I had a coworker say almost the exact same thing to me.  How you can work where we do with the majority of our workforce being immigrants and feel that way is beyond me.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

My job is mobile xray and I spend most of my shift alone in my van. I only speak to my coworkers once, maybe twice a month. 
You have my sympathy. 

Edited by Emma
  • Upvote 3

NBC Nightly News did a piece tonight on Election Stress Disorder.  It's  a real thing! They gave tips to relieve it - stay off social media, don't watch TV, exercise. I think I've already got it.

• Upvote 6

I work at a library that had early voting. In the two weeks we have had it we had 10,400 people come in. And today, the weather was nice, the line was down the block! I couldn't see the end of it out my office window. I think a lot of people felt comfortable coming here because we aren't going to put up with any bullshit intimidation. The police station is across the street. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

Small town East coast blue state checking in. Lines are long here already and polls have only been open for an hour and a half. My FB feed is full of friends waiting in lines.

Update for people that got to the polls at 6 am it is currently taking 45 minutes to an hour.

If the results are not what I hope for, I hope the United States of Canada can become real.

If the results are my favorite color, blue, what the hell will I change my avatar to?

Going on a hike and trying to distract myself. May I not be filled with the same horror I was 4 years ago this evening. 

Edited by WiseGirl
added text
  • Love 11

31 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

If the results are my favorite color, blue, what the hell will I change my avatar to?

That's a problem we'd all love to help you with, as we'll have a lot more free time once we can stop thinking about Trump every minute.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Sending you all my fellow American FJers lots of good thoughts and booze, to get through the day and especially the night.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 4

I haven't been to the store in a week, but I bet it is the same here.

image.png.566ea5e29a0ce0d4eb15f5fe5a15b56c.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

I got to my location at 5:45 this morning and was 6th in line.  By the time I was done at 6:12, there were at least 50 people lined up.

We had early voting for I think ten days, and my location was still far busier than normal.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

49 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I haven't been to the store in a week, but I bet it is the same here.

image.png.566ea5e29a0ce0d4eb15f5fe5a15b56c.png

Damnit! If I left it too late and am stuck with banana sorbet - I'm going to be really pissed!

• Haha 9

Voted this morning, in the fraud-laden state of Pennsylvania. I wanted to vote in person, because of all the supposed fraud. I went after work, and got there at 7:30 (they opened at 7). What a nightmare! Only a certain number of people could come into the building, because of Covid. The rest waited in a slow moving line outside, where it was quite windy. I thought, based on the time and also the number of people who already voted by mail, I’d zip right in. I ended up waiting over two hours in line. I can’t imagine what it’ll be like for those going after working 9-5 today.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 16

4 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I have already chosen a new avatar. Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to retire this one soon. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Love 7

Just now, formergothardite said:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I have already chosen a new avatar. Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to retire this one soon. 

Preach sister. I still have the one I picked in 2016, because certainly no one would ever vote for that asshole, right?

• Upvote 16

I love both of you guys, but ngl I will be happy to never see his stupid face in your avatars again.

Had a dream last night that I had to go vote, but as I was Gwen Stefani's sister and she was making me join No Doubt she wouldn't let me since we had a concert to do.  No, not losing my mind at all.

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Damnit! If I left it too late and am stuck with banana sorbet - I'm going to be really pissed!

Add some cocoa powder to it and it makes fabulous chocholate/banana fake ice cream.  A little coconut milk and yummy shake.

I made a comfort food casserole (a clean version) and it's good to go for tonight.  I am, however, out of edibles which is going to be a problem.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I love both of you guys, but ngl I will be happy to never see his stupid face in your avatars again.

*I* would be happy to never see his stupid face in ANY avatar again. UGH.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

*I* would be happy to never see his stupid face in ANY avatar again. UGH.

Remember when I told you my daughter saw your avatar and asked if you were a Trumper -  horrified?  I have never clarified a situation so fast before she lost all respect for you! 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Remember when I told you my daughter saw your avatar and asked if you were a Trumper -  horrified?  I have never clarified a situation so fast before she lost all respect for you! 

LOL! Yes! To be fair, the HELL NO was small on that one. I promise Mini!B, I am NO trumper. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Preach sister. I still have the one I picked in 2016, because certainly no one would ever vote for that asshole, right?

I don't think I will ever get over the shock of realizing he won. I will still be crushed tomorrow if I wake up and he won the election, but on no level was I prepared for him to win in 2016. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

LOL! Yes! To be fair, the HELL NO was small on that one. I promise Mini!B, I am NO trumper. 

She knows!  That's why she didn't block you!

Just now, formergothardite said:

I don't think I will ever get over the shock of realizing he won. I will still be crushed tomorrow if I wake up and he won the election, but on no level was I prepared for him to win in 2016. 

I agree.  I was shell shocked last time, but this time will be even more devastating if he wins again.

Because there is no excuse about just wanting a non-politician or whatever other nonsense otherwise normal people thought last time.  They've seen four years of him and if he legitimately gets elected again the cognitive dissonance it will take to continue to live in this country is staggaring.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I started following American politics in 2016, with the incredibly simple hope of America getting their first female President. I thought Hillary following the first black president would be such a beautiful and poignant sign that America was moving away from misogyny and racism. When all that Russian shit about Trump came out during the campaign, I actually believed Hillary had it I the bag. 

I was absolutely horrified when I woke up the day after the elections and found out Trump won. 

I do not want a repeat of what happened in 2016. I want to wake up tomorrow and find jubilant, exited and relieved posts about an undeniable blue wave, a clear win with such large margins that Trump has no chance of contesting it.

My wish is that you will finally have the release of all anxiety and fear for the future, and that hope may grow in your hearts again. 

:group-hug: 

• Thank You 2
  • Love 19

15 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I started following American politics in 2016, with the incredibly simple hope of America getting their first female President. I thought Hillary following the first black president would be such a beautiful and poignant sign that America was moving away from misogyny and racism. When all that Russian shit about Trump came out during the campaign, I actually believed Hillary had it I the bag. 

I was absolutely horrified when I woke up the day after the elections and found out Trump won. 

I do not want a repeat of what happened in 2016. I want to wake up tomorrow and find jubilant, exited and relieved posts about an undeniable blue wave, a clear win with such large margins that Trump has no chance of contesting it.

My wish is that you will finally have the release of all anxiety and fear for the future, and that hope may grow in your hearts again. 

:group-hug: 

I just want to say you @fraurosena have single handedly restored my hope more times than I can count.

Your passion for justice and optimism that right will win has really lifted my anxiety at times when I desperately needed it.  Thank you for caring so much, and sharing your keen perceptions and infectious hope.  I am sure I am not the only one grateful to you for this.

I am about to share too much, but I was once in an abusive marriage to a man with NPD-BPD and there were times I didn't know how to keep going.  Every so often someone kind would let me know they saw it, they cared, and validate that I wasn't crazy and that they saw it too.  

Before I could leave, before I was even in a place to think I could ever leave...it helped.  It made me stronger.  That's what you've done for me with the political shit show.

You see what we're dealing with and not blaming all Americans.  You had empathy for those being hurt by Trumps rule and how badly you wanted better for us is palpable.  

And now I'm crying at work...why didn't I take this week off?!

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
to share too much personal stuff but i give no fucks today
  • Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 14

Now I have tears in my eyes, @HerNameIsBuffy. I feel quite humble and appreciative that I was able to do that.

I need a "Heart, Rufus bless, thank you, you-made-me-blush" upvote now. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

• Destiny locked and unlocked this topic
  • Destiny locked this topic