IGNORED

Seewalds 44: Skip the Ads and Jessa Won’t Get Paid!

nelliebelle1197

I never noticed that the first three kids’ initials spell out SHI. I’m secretly hoping they haven’t either and the next few kids are named with initials TSHOW. 

• Haha 45
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, neurogirl said:

It just almost seems like a given at this point - or do we hear more about it in the fundie community because they are TTC many, many times so there are just more chances for things to go wrong?

I think it's their agenda. Several goals:

-remind themselves and others that a baby is a life, no matter if it's born or unborn. 

-they were pregnant, so they weren't using birth control (eleventy!!!!1!!1!!)

-every pregnancy is a gift of God, so they have been blessed, despite the sad end of the pregnancy

As individuals, they probably don't even realise it, but as a group, it's very obvious what openly talking about pregnancies and rainbow babies mean.

Disclaimer: I know that for a long time, miscarriages were treated as "no big deal" and women were not allowed to grieve. It was a cruel approach. But I don't think fundies are trying to emotionally help women who have miscarriages, they just use it to make abortion look worse.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling, as usual!
  • Upvote 23

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

But I don't think fundies are trying to emotionally help women who have miscarriages, they just use it to make abortion look worse.

In all fairness, I think it may be both. They don't see a contradiction between being compassionate about a loss and refusing to extend the same compassion to a desperate woman in need of an abortion.

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1

9 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

I predict that the baby's name will begin with a P, and will be followed by 3 more siblings. Reason being, I am convinced that their secret naming theme is such that the first letters of their children's names will eventually spell SHIPLAP, as an homage to the Gaineses. 

I really hope she names him Theodore Tozer and doesn’t realize their initials spell shit. 

• Haha 19

2 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

In all fairness, I think it may be both. They don't see a contradiction between being compassionate about a loss and refusing to extend the same compassion to a desperate woman in need of an abortion.

Exactly.  If your belief system genuinely believes abortion is murder (and for many fundies this is a genuine, deeply held belief) then it's the same as having compassion to a parent who lost a child to death through no fault of their own and not extending compassion to a parent who killed their child.

You can disagree with their premise on abortion, but the logic is consistent.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

Her scan looks like it's around 20 weeks, which (counting on a 40 week pregnancy) would give her an early July due date. That seems about right.

I'm glad this is another reasonable age gap for her. Obviously sorry for her miscarriage, but the 2-year spacing might help avoid physical/mental burnout.

I just had my most recent miscarriage confirmed yesterday. I wasn't holding out much hope but it was quite crushing all the same. At least it means I get a referral to the recurrent miscarriage clinic, which is not a sentence I thought I'd be writing but I need some closure on this. I've had 4 miscarriages and it feels kind of relentless: it's so hard to know whether there is a correlation between them or whether I just got the raw end of the law of averages. I'm grateful that I have my lovely daughter, and if I never have another viable pregnancy, she is enough for me. But the not-knowing is crazy hard.

I'm so sorry. I hope they can give you answers. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You can disagree with their premise on abortion, but the logic is consistent.

Of course consistent logic based on false premises still yields flawed results...

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

As individuals, they probably don't even realise it, but as a group, it's very obvious what openly talking about pregnancies and rainbow babies mean.

Disclaimer: I know that for a long time, miscarriages were treated as "no big deal" and women were not allowed to grieve. It was a cruel approach. But I don't think fundies are trying to emotionally help women who have miscarriages, they just use it to make abortion look worse.

Some fundies may be doing this, but even those of us who are prochoice have had genuine and profound grief over a miscarriage.  I had a miscarriage at almost 20 weeks and I was absolutely heartbroken over the loss of my baby.  No agenda, no presupposition that everyone else needed to consider my unborn child a baby....but my grief was real and devastating and other women having abortions never factored into my thinking.  It was about me and the loss of a much loved and wanted baby.  

I understand the cynicism and am disgusted by much of their "pro-life" behavior such as taking young children to protests and proclaiming every life sacred while supporting Trump and other politicians who actively harm(ed) children who were already born with their draconian policies.  But grieving over a miscarriage isn't in that category for me.  

4 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Of course consistent logic based on false premises still yields flawed results...

I agree.  I'm not saying their premise is correct, but if I think wearing blue on Tuesdays will cause one of my children harm and I refrain from wearing blue for that reason the logic of my actions is sound even if there is no logic in my original premise.

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 14

13 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

The thing is, they’re at a point where keeping a house that small clean is going to be a constant chore. With a bigger house, you can set aside space for the kids and let that area be messy while the rest of the house stays reasonably clean. Currently, there is no space for the kids to just play without it also being in their living space. 

There is also no space to "homeschool" other than the dining room table. It may not be a huge issue now, but it will be in a few years.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'm so sorry. I hope they can give you answers. 

Thank you. Me too. I feel lucky that it's being taken seriously, anyway.

• Love 12

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

There is also no space to "homeschool" other than the dining room table. It may not be a huge issue now, but it will be in a few years.

If they keep with the current plan then the kids will likely homeschool at the Big House with Ben as teacher, unless he’s moved on from that.

This year (it’s been almost a year! ) with various aged kids distance learning  while parents try to work from home has sure brought the challenges of trying to find quiet space to the forefront of many people’s lives! 

• Upvote 6

I would have thought that now he’s ordained Ben would be looking for a church to be an assistant pastor- or is that too lowly for a Duggar? 
If they thought about the long game he could have spent the money getting teaching qualifications- I bet they could make a good living running a private school for fellow hardcore fundies.

• Upvote 14

26 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I would have thought that now he’s ordained Ben would be looking for a church to be an assistant pastor- or is that too lowly for a Duggar? 
If they thought about the long game he could have spent the money getting teaching qualifications- I bet they could make a good living running a private school for fellow hardcore fundies.

Would there be enough like minded fundies for this to be viable?  I know there are a lot of similarities between family beliefs, but also differences that they seem to weight very heavily.

Like the Duggars and Maxwells are both fundy families who have crossed paths, but I can't imagine Steve allowing them to schooled similarly.  And isn't the point of homeschooling to keep it in the family and not outsource the care and education of your kids (except to your older kids?) 

• I Agree 4

32 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

If they keep with the current plan then the kids will likely homeschool at the Big House with Ben as teacher, unless he’s moved on from that.

This year (it’s been almost a year! ) with various aged kids distance learning  while parents try to work from home has sure brought the challenges of trying to find quiet space to the forefront of many people’s lives! 

now that is the saddest thing in the world to think. That children could be taught by ben - only - his version of life, his version of everything.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, nst said:

now that is the saddest thing in the world to think. That children could be taught by ben - only - his version of life, his version of everything.

Ben’s education is probably far superior to anyone educated by Michelle(or JB) or an older sibling at the TTH.

ETA- the best educated person in that entire enterprise is DD, and he’s the only one thus far sending a kid to public school. Amazing isn’t it? ?

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 26

4 minutes ago, nst said:

I can think of one thing sadder....being taught by Michelle or worse, taught by sisters who were only taught by Michelle.

Although, they would be rock solid in coverage of perpendicular and bankruptcy.  

ETA I just crossposted with @SassyPants

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I bet they could make a good living running a private school for fellow hardcore fundies

True, but they won’t, for the same reason why there isn’t Duggar Air or Arbor Acres Hair & Nails. They can avoid government regulations as long as they do stuff for family for free, but if you operate a real business of certain types, the government gets all up in your business.

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

True, but they won’t, for the same reason why there isn’t Duggar Air or Arbor Acres Hair & Nails. They can avoid government regulations as long as they do stuff for family for free, but if you operate a real business of certain types, the government gets all up in your business.

In order to be successful, all those endeavors require sustained work. Duggars are far too lazy and entitled for that. Daily jobs with a schedule and deadlines is for other people!

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Daily jobs with a schedule and deadlines is for other people!

Exactly - how can you book appointments on Duggar time?

16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

ETA- the best educated person in that entire enterprise is DD, and he’s the only one thus far sending a kid to public school. Amazing isn’t it? ?

I'm not curious about much regarding these people, but I am interested to see how Jeremy handles it when their kids are school age.  Prior to his unaccredited nonsense he's pursuing now he also had a decent mainstream education.  I don't see how someone like that can leave their kids schooling to Jinger.  My money is on private Christian school for those guys.  If Jinger's family goes that way it might make it easier for Ben and Jessa to also opt for real school down the road.

One can hope.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Ben’s education is probably far superior to anyone educated by Michelle(or JB) or an older sibling at the TTH.

education wise sure. But still Ben ....It just disturbs me for some reason.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, nst said:

education wise sure. But still Ben ....It just disturbs me for some reason.

I don’t know he seems, from what we see, like he’d make a good teacher.  Patient, laid-back, seems like he’d know how to look up information and make things understandable,  and likes kids. Probably lots of projects. The actual curriculum would be awfully biased, but I assume no worse than any conservative Christian private school. 

I could see Jinger homeschooling if they stick to 2 to 4 well spaced docile children, with some sort of homeschool co-op and structured curriculum, and concurrent college classes when they get older. That’s pretty common. Or just as easily see them sending them to Christian school. Could not see them sending them to public school in California. Jeremy lecturing in theology and history or- anything- sounds absolutely insufferable. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

According to Duggar data the ultrasound pictures show they were taken at a place called BabyFace and More. The website shows that it is not a medical facility and the ultrasounds are for keepsake purposes only.  It says in their waiver that no medical diagnoses are made. What this tells me is that she's not receiving routine pre pregnancy care. Why would they feel the need to go to a non medical ultrasound facility if they were getting ultrasounds at the doctor's office?

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

1 minute ago, Knight of Ni said:

According to Duggar data the ultrasound pictures show they were taken at a place called BabyFace and More. The website shows that it is not a medical facility and the ultrasounds are for keepsake purposes only.  It says in their waiver that no medical diagnoses are made. What this tells me is that she's not receiving routine pre pregnancy care. Why would they feel the need to go to a non medical ultrasound facility if they were getting ultrasounds at the doctor's office?

Maybe the doctor could not see the sex and they wanted to find out? 

• I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic