IGNORED

Maxwell 40: Wearing Their Vests in an Apartment for Fun

Coconut Flan

A new post is up about Ma and Pa returning to shop at Costco.  They talk about it being such a HUGE shopping event cause they also pick up for the daughter in laws... The photo of the cart does not make me think it was that big of a shop.  It is nice they are willing to pick up items while they are there, but I wonder have they offered to watch the grandkids so the moms can have an afternoon to do this themselves?  Quietly wander, check out the new items, grab a new random item that intrigues them?  

Maybe I am the only one who actually enjoys spontaneous grocery shopping and not living and dying by the google spreadsheet list...

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 2

This! I cringe when my own parents go shopping. This virus seems to be a lot worse for older people. In a household with three stay at home adult daughters I don't understand why it's the parents who have to expose themselves. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 12

Part of the reason they have a boring reputation is because they make a blog post about shopping at Costco like it’s something special. Shopping for the daughters in law, wow, who would have thought? Texting a picture of something to see if it’s what is wanted, amazing idea! Coolers for cold food-genius. Also, my 70+ year old mom & her husband do not go into stores. They’re still locking down. He picks up groceries after ordering inline. I pick up things they weren’t able to get probably weekly, from Costco or anywhere. Helping people out is being a human, not being magically, godly blessed or special.

Things people do every day is blog worthy for them because they hide anything different ir actually special. It is a carefully crafted, superficial presence.

For the record I am one of only 2 people in my extended family group-my niece being the other-with a Costco membership. I go pretty regularly and not for myself. If someone wants something, I go get it for them. When I do plan on going because I need something, I send a group text & make a list of responses & have at it. It’s easy to keep separate because I just pay for it all & put my things away when I get home & out their stuff aside. There is nothing special or hard about it.Nothing blog worthy about it-outside Maxhell, anyway.

There is clear intentional effort to keep anything of importance off the blog. After Joseph’s publicly failed courtship, they went dark on anything anyone could be held accountable for or questioned on. I mean, what could anyone say about shopping at Costco that would put Steve in the hotseat? 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3

Yes, the virus is worse for elders, plus they talk about as if they never shop for the inlaw, I mean it this time and even before I have asked neighbors if they needed anything if I go to the supermarket. Sarah even said that they delivered at home as if they had to do a big deviation from their usual road, they all live basically next door to the mothership how can this be a big gesture?! Gay what a boring live.

Eda @fundiefun said better than me thanks 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 1

She makes it sound like covid is over. You would think that with an inmunocompromised person at home, they would be super careful and get everything delivered.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Part of the reason they have a boring reputation is because they make a blog post about shopping at Costco like it’s something special. Shopping for the daughters in law, wow, who would have thought? Texting a picture of something to see if it’s what is wanted, amazing idea! Coolers for cold food-genius.

Exactly! It's not like they are provisioning the entire US Marine Corp for entry into a war zone!

When I saw Terri taking the photo I thought "Hi "Gal 2" I wondered if the kids wouldn't enjoy the bread sticks on your list too much. These look much less appealing. Shall I double-up on them for you?"

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2

Remember the days when we got snark fodder like how Teri puts Steve's toothpaste on his toothbrush for him?  

Or how she so "reverenced" him that she wouldn't remind him to order pizza when they had guests and just silently prayed that he would?  (Apparently "reverenced" is fundy for "hope my asshole husband fucks this up and I'm going to passive aggressively not help in any way even if it means my guests, including my elderly mother, go hungry.)

And yes Sarah, I can believe they delivered the groceries to each family.  Despite your incredulity those of us with different belief systems also do favors for people.  

• Upvote 23

Freaking day - that is not a large trip.  I can easily fill 2 buggies if I am headed there once a month.  Water bottles, paper products & cleaning supplies can easily fill one buggy while the other one is loaded with food. 

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 9

In the first couple of months of the ‘Rona, I was extremely cautious and got all my groceries delivered. Because Connecticut is actually being sensible and mask use and hand sanitizer are virtually everywhere, now I do go to the grocery store, but about an hour before closing time, when it’s virtually deserted.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 10

Sarah said it's nice to see things returning to normal. Coupla thoughts...

1. How is it returning to normal when cases are still skyrocketing?

2. Sarah wouldn't know normal if it bit her on the a**. 

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 8

4 hours ago, freejugar said:

She makes it sound like covid is over. You would think that with an inmunocompromised person at home, they would be super careful and get everything delivered.

I know. If I didn’t know that the Maxes abstain from any kind of news, I’d think they were getting their info from FauxNews. 

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1

Do they live very far from costco? I am wondering if it is a big deal because the drive makes it really time consuming. However, you would think that if this was the reason it was a big deal it would be mentioned. 

Also, my neighbor was going to the grocery store yesterday and saw us outside. She unrolled her window and asked if we needed anything. Especially during this time it is nice to save someone a trip if you can. She didn't see the need to write a blog post about this though and just took it as an everyday occurrence. 

• Upvote 14

I don't know which Costco in Kansas City they use, but one is about 30 minutes from them.

• Upvote 5

"They have coolers for the cold items."  Sarah, that is nothing special.  It is just common sense to use coolers for cold items. Also, I get more stuff than that from Costco (or BJ's) when I shop for my Mother & myself.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I have been known to have more than Teri when buying for just Dawg and me.  :mouse-shock::shocked::mouse-shock:

I'm very glad I have because the last trip I made to Costco was around January before we knew the pandemic would hit us and I bought TP, paper towels, clothes detergent, bathroom cleaner, and dog treats that are still lasting us.  I think we've run through everything else. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

I'm pretty sure they have two carts. The picture of Terri walking from behind looks like it was taken over a cart too. 

And I never once considered taking a cooler to transport groceries home, but I've also always lived within 15 minutes of various stores. We bring coolers to the store when we are buying groceries to take camping, but it's because we don't make special trips to the store. 

I'm struck by how much Terri looks like so many women I know with the exact opposite political views. 

They clearly aren't coffee snobs, I'm pretty sure our Costco stopped stocking the pre-ground tins as no one in my area who shops at Costco was buying them. 

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I'm sure Steve had a cart, too.  That's why I specifically said Terri.  If they were doing a large shop for multiple families, I would have expected both carts would have been fully stuffed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Folks- You have to stop thinking like regular consumers and start thinking in Maxwellian Terms. Remember animal crackers go a long way when everyone only gets 2. These are the kind of people who use the 8 inch dessert/salad plate for dinner, and there’s still space left on the surface of the plate. There is so much martyrdom in Maxhell, you’d think they were Catholic.  

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 15

I haven't been to Costco in eons. My son or husband will go, and the cart will be filled. I transferred my prescriptions because it wasn't convenient to go there anymore. 

Kroger keeps pushing their delivery app where you pay $79 a year and you can get all your groceries delivered for free instead of paying $10 a pop. Been mulling that over. 

After looking at the pictures of Steve, I agree with the poster who said he looks ghastly, and Terri does as well. Even That way they could have more than beans and cheese in their burritos. Even eating vegan, there are options. Beyond and Impossible make decent meat free products that taste ok. We use the Beyond sausages when we do brats as the bonus child doesn't eat meat. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Sarah referred to her parents as Mom and Dad a few times in that post. Isn’t it always meant to be Dad and Mom in Steve’s patriarchal paradise? His grip is slipping.......

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

And I never once considered taking a cooler to transport groceries home, but I've also always lived within 15 minutes of various stores.

One good thing about always having the cooler in the car with you (in the trunk) is that it's a safe place to put eggs, bread, chips, and anything else that's delicate and might not want to be jostled around the trunk during the ride home.

And, of course, in the hot weather, it can keep the perishables cool.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, anniebgood said:

I haven't been to Costco in eons. My son or husband will go, and the cart will be filled. I transferred my prescriptions because it wasn't convenient to go there anymore. 

Kroger keeps pushing their delivery app where you pay $79 a year and you can get all your groceries delivered for free instead of paying $10 a pop. Been mulling that over. 

After looking at the pictures of Steve, I agree with the poster who said he looks ghastly, and Terri does as well. Even That way they could have more than beans and cheese in their burritos. Even eating vegan, there are options. Beyond and Impossible make decent meat free products that taste ok. We use the Beyond sausages when we do brats as the bonus child doesn't eat meat. 

thanks.  I just got in from shopping and looking for vegan sausages, oddly enough.  Will google to see where I can find beyond.

I love impossible but haven't found any in the store yet.

• Upvote 3

I agree that Steve must have had a cart too. But you would think since they were shopping for multiple large households and they only go once a month that both carts would be packed to the brim.

Since covid started, I have gone to Costco several times. I have been shopping for my family, my parents, my in-laws and get the occasional thing for my sister. My cart is always jam packed. A couple times I've had to resist the urge not to shout out that I'm not a crazy hoarder, I just have s lot of people to shop for ?. This was especially true at the start when there were shortages.

I have started taking a cooler on shopping trips since it got warmer. I wouldn't want my ice cream to melt while I am doing my other grocery drop offs!

• Upvote 9

I’ve been trying to work out what’s written on the back of Teri’s t-shirt. I’m guessing it’s some kind of religious message. 

• Upvote 2

We’ve done a few grocery trips for our daughter recently since she became ill. I take a cart and do her list while USMCDAD takes a cart and does our list. 

The  trouble is, I always find little things I want to add to BOTH carts, so things get a little muddled .  Last night, I wanted to make a roast with carrots and new potatoes. I could not find my new potatoes ANYWHERE! I finally texted daughter and asked if I had given her some new potatoes in her grocery sack. She said “Yes.  Do you want them back?” I was tempted to take them back but I ordered Chinese food, went to the store today and made roast with my very own potatoes for tonight’s supper. 

Probably if I used a Google document, I wouldn’t screw the lists up like that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic