IGNORED

Maxwell 40: Wearing Their Vests in an Apartment for Fun

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Whenever a team on The Amazing Race says neither knows how to drive stick I know they are early out fodder. 

I get how early teams didn't know most cars elsewhere are manual, but there is no excuse now.

Yes!
At this point there is no excuse for that (at least one not learning to drive stick before TAR) or for those going on Survivor to not at least be able to semi-swim since there are virtually no seasons now where there isn't at least one challenge where the entire team ends up in the water for a challenge.

Yet both still happen almost every season!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, SoConfused said:

What setting / how much time in IP?

Whatever the manual says.  It's been said of engineers that we don't even try to remember anything that we know we can look up.

Pressure cook, high, 20-25 minutes then either instant or natural pressure release. I just checked a couple of food blogs though, and they say 35, 40, or 50 minutes. I think it's going to depend on the hardness of your water, the age of the beans, whether you want the beans to remain whole or you are planning to mash them, soaked or not (I don't usually unless I'm being exceptionally on top of things.) I guess try 20 minutes, do a quick-release, see if they're done enough, if not do another 10 minutes. Sorry I can't be more help.

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Fresh out of college I bought a new Honda with a Manuel transmission. My then BF, now husband ,taught me how to drive said new car in hilly San Francisco. I can just remember him patting my leg while saying “more clutch And more gas.”

I learned to drive manual in San Francisco, too! That was hair-raising, especially when some tourist in his rental land yacht would stop on the hill almost on my bumper. It was a great day when I learned the trick of using the hand brake in coordination with one foot on the clutch and the other on the accelerator so I wouldn't roll backwards at all.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Whenever a team on The Amazing Race says neither knows how to drive stick I know they are early out fodder. 

Oh yes. Know how to drive a manual, read a map, use a compass and be prepared for local delicacies which look terrible to non-locals to eat. 

Always do the Reckless, not the Chicken.

And don't manhandle the locals without asking, or preferably at all.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, ElizaB said:

Teri taught swimming as a lifeguard 50 years ago. She is probably doing the exact same program she did then as sidestroke may have been more popular. From previous posts I think she does teach them all the strokes though so they are well covered. I'm glad that they do learn to swim as I think it is a skill they should have. It is a shame they don't get to have more fun with it but I am still glad they are learning. I think in a lot of fundie homes swimming would not be taught. 

To be fair, the kids look really happy and not incredibly tight like they do on those boring bday lunches/dinners.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

At one point, for some reason, my family had a little stick shift Volkswagen Rabbit. We didn't keep it very long, and I don't know if it was bought or if someone gave it to my dad in exchange for mechanic work (that happens a LOT - he's now awash in lawnmowers but back in the day we got a travel trailer one time...) but I think the idea was that my younger sister would get it when she turned 16. I am nearly 3 years older and was driving an old Dodge Omni. I remember driving that little manual car up and down the dirt road on our property over and over. I got to the point of being OK at it, but we ended up not keeping the car. (My aunt sold us a nicer car she was getting rid of, and I got that and passed the Omni down to the younger sisters, since I would be driving 3 hours to college and needed something reliable.)

So I once was able to sort of drive a stick. Kind of. 

• Upvote 6

There’s a Dateline episode where the criminal attempted to carjack someone, but had to abort it because he couldn’t drive stick.

• Haha 16

5 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

To be fair, the kids look really happy and not incredibly tight like they do on those boring bday lunches/dinners.

That is true! I was more thinking that their swimming will always be confined to just their family where no one else can see them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic