IGNORED

Maxwell 40: Wearing Their Vests in an Apartment for Fun

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Interrupting the side discussions with our last (so far) vest title in honor of Jesse selling his renovated house to move into an apartment with Anna.  Title thanks to @IReallyAmHopewell.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 8

@PennySycamore thank you for bringing back memories of the original Jeopardy (and for reminding me Art Fleming was the host).

Yes, you're right, some of today's categories are the same. None of us kids knew what the word potable meant back then but we learned it from watching Jeopardy over the summer break.

I do think, though, today's questions sure seem harder.  The few times I've watched it recently I couldn't picture my 10 year old self knowing the answers, but back in the original days we neighborhood kids would watch and play along.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

If vest titles are to be retired, I hope we will have a ceremony.

If we are in need of more, here are some ideas:

Some reference to the aria Vesti la giubba - perhaps "Vesti la giubba - don't you dare laugh, clowns"

Vestal Virgins  (or is that too accurate and cruel?)

My avatar would like "Galaxy Vest," but getting something he wants might traumatize him.

A Vest to Hide the Breast

The Vild, Vild Vest

Best Vest in the West

This Vest is Blest

Steve Maxwell - Pest in a Vest

Beau Veste

Stressed in a Vest

You'll Wrest My Vest From My Cold, Dead Chest

Down or Polyfill - the Great Vest Debate

Down in the Dumps

The Maxwells Get Down, But Not Funky

If all of the "kids" ever get the fuck out of Dodge, we can finally use "Empty Nest Vest," but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 26
  • Love 3

Remind me again why everyone seems to think Jesse is going to a church named Countryside? Did someone here just make an assumption or was it based on something concrete the Maxwells said or posted?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Remind me again why everyone seems to think Jesse is going to a church named Countryside? Did someone here just make an assumption or was it based on something concrete the Maxwells said or posted?

Anna's mom posted it on her public IG. 

• Upvote 7

19 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

I'm not sure about how people knew the name of their church or, for that matter, where their apartment is but I am hoping with all my heart that they are in Overland Park, and that Jesse landed a tech job with Garmin and the rest of you will have to work hard to disabuse me of this fantasy.

Going back to the Mad Magazine thread drift I, too, still have many parodies stuck in my head, such as if Lewis Carroll had worked on Madison Avenue:

'Twas Brillo and the GE Stoves
Did Proctor Gamble in the Glade
All Pillsbury were the Tasty Loaves
And in a Minute Maid. . .

My favorite adjacent to fame story is that a guy I was good friends with in my late 20's and 30's grew up on Long Island, Huntington IIRC, and there was a diner  in town where the Mad writers used to get together to brainstorm and bullshit. My friend, who was a precocious child and absolutely enamored with that style of humor used to stand in a corner of the diner just to eavesdrop on their conversations.  If you ever  come across a copy of Mad Magazine from the late 50's, look closely at the illustrations for a drawing in a lower corner of a little fat kid picking his nose that has nothing to do with the subject of the article. That's my friend.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

If vest titles are to be retired, I hope we will have a ceremony.

If we are in need of more, here are some ideas:

Some reference to the aria Vesti la giubba - perhaps "Vesti la giubba - don't you dare laugh, clowns"

Vestal Virgins  (or is that too accurate and cruel?)

My avatar would like "Galaxy Vest," but getting something he wants might traumatize him.

A Vest to Hide the Breast

The Vild, Vild Vest

Best Vest in the West

This Vest is Blest

Steve Maxwell - Pest in a Vest

Beau Veste

Stressed in a Vest

You'll Wrest My Vest From My Cold, Dead Chest

Down or Polyfill - the Great Vest Debate

Down in the Dumps

The Maxwells Get Down, But Not Funky

If all of the "kids" ever get the fuck out of Dodge, we can finally use "Empty Nest Vest," but I'm not holding my breath.

One of the earliest jokes from my childhood:

Q:  How do you get down from an elephant?

A:  You don't -- you get down from a duck.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 2

When I was little I got into a stack of my older brother's Mad magazines and they scared me.  

I just remember people being drawn with weird giant teeth and I put them away and didn't touch his magazines again.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

I watched the Beatles' movie It's Been a Hard Days' Night twice this week on TCM.  There this one scene early in the film when the boys are on the train along with Paul's grandfather and there's this bloke on the train reading a  MAD paperback.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Continued from here:

Interrupting the side discussions with our last (so far) vest title in honor of Jesse selling his renovated house to move into an apartment with Anna.  Title thanks to @IReallyAmHopewell.

If they don’t move back to the Maxhood can their thread pretty please be The Young and the Vestless?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 26
  • Love 7

On 7/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

If they don’t move back to the Maxhood can their thread pretty please be The Young and the Vestless?

I know we were supposed to save the titles for later, but I just can't resist a good pun. How about Vestworld? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Katzchen24 said:

I know we were supposed to save the titles for later

Were we? Ooops, sorry if I jumped the gun.

• Upvote 2

Elliot's newborn pics are up.  And he was born AFTER Jesse and Anna's wedding.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Elliot's newborn pics are up.  And he was born AFTER Jesse and Anna's wedding.

And they are exactly the same as all the others....yawn.

Maybe the couple just said "NO" to sharing photos? I'm  in on that "he got a tech job" fantasy.

• Upvote 7

Stop wrapping the damn babies so they look like something out of Shelob's cave!

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Stop wrapping the damn babies so they look like something out of Shelob's cave!

While I agree I don't like the wrapping- to be fair I see this as a huge trend in newborn photos and it is not a strange Maxwell thing. This is a trend everywhere the last few years. 

Also, do we know if Chris took Jesse and Anna's photos? If he did maybe he is just too busy to edit them with everything going on. If he didn't, honestly it can take months to get your professional photos back. A friend of mine's photographer didn't get them to her until 6 months after the wedding (she was really anxious- but it was all within the contracted time). 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Were we? Ooops, sorry if I jumped the gun.

Yes, please.  I did capture your suggestions for later.  

• Upvote 3

On 7/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, church_of_dog said:

One of the earliest jokes from my childhood:

Q:  How do you get down from an elephant?

A:  You don't -- you get down from a duck.

This reminded me of similar old joke:

When you see geese flying in a V formation, why is one side of the V sometimes longer than the other?

There are more geese on that side.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16
  • Love 1

You know, I’m not commenting on appearances, but those baby pics are the most underwhelming I’ve ever seen. They failed to capture even the most minimal joy about the family’s new addition. 

• Upvote 13

17 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

You know, I’m not commenting on appearances, but those baby pics are the most underwhelming I’ve ever seen. They failed to capture even the most minimal joy about the family’s new addition. 

I’m truly disappointed there are so few pictures of Elliot with his eyes open. AxMax has eyes that see into your soul. I hope his little brother has them too.

3908521D-C97E-4D21-840D-1770C25A5462.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

The newborn pictures are stale. Personally, I dislike - strongly - the trend of wrapping babies like caccoons, posing them in baskets, molding their bodies for a shot, giant bows on girls - pretty much all the photography trends. But, to not even be able to do them well is worse. I think they are horrible pictures. Snapshotsfrom a phone or point & shoot camera are often better because they're real. The Maxwell's attempts to be all cool & modern with photograhy trends combined with their complete lack of skill (and probably about a thousand godly rules to follow) just makes these newborn sessions painful to look at. 

• Upvote 11

I think newborns all look like Winston Churchill. I really don’t know why people don’t wait and do a 3 month professional photo shoot. They are all about 1000% cuter by then. They also smile and are a bit chubbier. It’s basically a cuteness overload.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic