IGNORED

Maxwell 40: Wearing Their Vests in an Apartment for Fun

Coconut Flan

On 7/28/2020 at 11:32 AM, allyisyourpally5 said:

Over my side of the Atlantic, America is currently being portrayed very much as a country that has decided the pandemic is over - in some states! 
The media over here often mentions Arizona as a hot bed where no one is listening (due to freedom rights) along with Texas. I haven't heard Kansas discussed on news, however there is a lot of referral to Red States. I’m assuming that, as Kansas is Red, it’s probably being portrayed to them as over and done with?

It does also seem fair to mention that they don’t read, watch or listen to the news. Their reasons being that the world is an ugly godless mess and they can’t do anything about it so they don’t need to know. They have mentioned previously (probably the same post) that the news they receive and care about from “trusted Christian sources” is about abortion and homeschooling. Those are the two issues that they care about. We can therefore assume the information the Maxwells likely have is stating that in the name of homeschooling freedom, Covid 19 is gone.

I will just say, I know that many (most?) Americans have taken the virus seriously, but it’s the batty that we see. The religious protests when churches were closed for example.

As a resident of Kansas, our Governor is a Democrat (I won't go into how that miracle of politics happened, other than to say that her opponent was Kris Kobach), and she has issued a statewide order for masks.  However, Kansas being what it is, individual counties are allowed to opt out, and Leavenworth County has; mask wearing there is declared "recommended." 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

Teri's new post is about swim "time". It bugs me to no end that everything they do is deemed "time" - bible time, family time, special family time, work time, prayer time, swim time...then I realized (I am slow sometimes; often blinded by confusion) that they phrase things like this because everything IS TIME - it's on the schdule, in a block of TIME, and must be followed. It is exactly about TIME rather than experience. Swimming TIME is just that - a slot on the schedule, between two other TIMES on the schedule. 

Only two of the relative's families get that TIME though. The others, nope. Granted, Joseph's family is younger but not too young to learn to swim. Even Axton would benefit from learning now - the younger the better. Then again, with that many at once who wants to send their young child to learn to swim with a woman who can't cope? It probably is better the younger ones learn apart from Teri and her fragile grasp of life. 

Teri is pretty proud of her past lifeguard experience based on that post. Too bad she deprives her daughters of anything resembling that experience. The disconnect in Maxhell is strong. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Teri's new post is about swim "time". It bugs me to no end that everything they do is deemed "time" - bible time, family time, special family time, work time, prayer time, swim time...then I realized (I am slow sometimes; often blinded by confusion) that they phrase things like this because everything IS TIME - it's on the schdule, in a block of TIME, and must be followed. It is exactly about TIME rather than experience. Swimming TIME is just that - a slot on the schedule, between two other TIMES on the schedule. 

Only two of the relative's families get that TIME though. The others, nope. Granted, Joseph's family is younger but not too young to learn to swim. Even Axton would benefit from learning now - the younger the better. Then again, with that many at once who wants to send their young child to learn to swim with a woman who can't cope? It probably is better the younger ones learn apart from Teri and her fragile grasp of life. 

The safety issues aside as I think Teri is likely very cautious when it comes to that, I would rather get a simultaneous root canal and tax audit than to have Teri teach me anything in where I’d be nervous.

I don’t get a patient vibe off her - can you imagine someone as clenched as she is teaching you how to swim?  Or drive?  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

My mom could be very high strung about certain things. One of those things was teaching her teenage children to drive. She basically said she couldn’t do it and my dad would have to. He’s much more laid back about teaching his kids to drive so it worked out. My mom is the same age as Teri and I’m the same age as Sarah. If my mom had taught me to drive, it would have been one of the most stressful parts of my life until that point. My mom also paid for swim lessons at the YMCA because she couldn’t teach us to swim. It was just too much stress. Maybe it’s because they are Teri’s grandchildren and not her own children that she can actually teach them. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom could be very high strung about certain things. One of those things was teaching her teenage children to drive. She basically said she couldn’t do it and my dad would have to. He’s much more laid back about teaching his kids to drive so it worked out. My mom is the same age as Teri and I’m the same age as Sarah. If my mom had taught me to drive, it would have been one of the most stressful parts of my life until that point. She also paid for swim lessons at the YMCA because she couldn’t teach us to swim. It was just too much stress. Maybe it’s because they are grandchildren and not her own children that she can actually teach them. 

Do we have the same mom? Because those are two things my mom could not do with me. I'm glad she outsourced them to my dad and professionals! 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

Just now, EmiSue said:

Do we have the same mom? Because those are two things my mom could not do with me. I'm glad she outsourced them to my dad and professionals! 

Did your mom also out source piano lessons even though she played the piano quite well? Lol! Even when I would practice piano at home while she listened and corrected was a huge stressful ordeal. I’m glad she out sourced those things because when my mom was stressed, it made me super stressed. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom could be very high strung about certain things. One of those things was teaching her teenage children to drive. She basically said she couldn’t do it and my dad would have to. He’s much more laid back about teaching his kids to drive so it worked out. My mom is the same age as Teri and I’m the same age as Sarah. If my mom had taught me to drive, it would have been one of the most stressful parts of my life until that point. My mom also paid for swim lessons at the YMCA because she couldn’t teach us to swim. It was just too much stress. Maybe it’s because they are Teri’s grandchildren and not her own children that she can actually teach them. 

For me, Teaching my kids to drive was near the top of worst experiences of parenthood. I swear, and I do, putting a windshield in front my kids blinded them. “When it is safe, pull the car to the right and put it in park” was a routine statement murmured when I was teaching them to drive.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

When I was about 40 I decided to learn how to drive a manual transmission car. Not going to lie my motivation was not learning a new skill - It was because a manual car was cheaper. Anyway, my husband said he'd give me lessons and we went out once. Then I hired a driving instructor because it was cheaper than getting a divorce. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 12
  • Love 4

15 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

For me, Teaching my kids to drive was near the top of worst experiences of parenthood. I swear, and I do, putting a windshield in front my kids blinded them. “When it is safe, pull the car to the right and put it in park” was a routine statement murmured when I was teaching them to drive.

I was apparently calmer than my husband when teaching my daughter how to drive. I am not sure how because she's had her license for awhile now and I still yell out "brake!" from time to time when she is driving. We have two more kids to get through driving and I dread it. 

3 minutes ago, browngrl said:

When I was about 40 I decided to learn how to drive a manual transmission car. Not going to lie my motivation was not learning a new skill - It was because a manual car was cheaper. Anyway, my husband said he'd give me lessons and we went out once. Then I hired a driving instructor because it was cheaper than getting a divorce. 

My husband also attempted to teach me to drive a manual transmission. I was 22, very pregnant and living and driving overseas on unfamiliar roads. I lasted two "lessons" with him and then taught myself in an empty parking lot. It has been 17+ years and I still had driving a manual though manual transmissions are all we owned for 8 years or so. 

• Upvote 7

On 7/28/2020 at 8:05 PM, PennySycamore said:

@HoneyBunny, you mentioned cruising a page or so ago.  Sail or motor?  

The cruising  world lost one of their lions Sunday night when Larry Pardey died at the age of 81.  Larry and his wife Lin circumnavigated the world twice under sail alone in  Serrafyn and Taliesin.  Their motto was "Go simple, Go Small, but Go NOW.  They felt that all the tech in the world was no match for good old-fashioned seamanship.  Larry   rounded Cape Horn both ways in his late 60s or maybe in his 70s.

Eight Bells: Larry Pardey

Fair winds, Larry!

So sorry. I just saw this (I still don’t have notifications figured out). Actually, neither. Cruise line cruising. I know, so lame. However, I am as much a sailing fanatic as one can be, living in Colorado. And my favorite YouTube channel is SV Delos. I’m addicted, and, since COVID began, have watched them all again from the beginning. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Who has the pool?

I would love to know, if any of the “extended family” on a really really hot day just throw the schedule out and go for a swim! 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Did your mom also out source piano lessons even though she played the piano quite well? Lol! Even when I would practice piano at home while she listened and corrected was a huge stressful ordeal. I’m glad she out sourced those things because when my mom was stressed, it made me super stressed. 

My mom knew the basics of piano but I got lessons from an actual teacher. Thankfully she didn't correct much. I'm sorry yours did. My mom did buy the decorations and plates, cups, napkins, and forks for my son's 5th birthday party because she was appalled that I used leftovers for his 3rd birthday party. She's good at stressing me out! 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Who has the pool?

I would love to know, if any of the “extended family” on a really really hot day just throw the schedule out and go for a swim! 

It’s a neighbor that allows them to use it. They actually did this long before the pandemic. 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s a neighbor that allows them to use it. They actually did this long before the pandemic. 

I wonder if it's the same neighbor Steve wrote a corner about, the one who dared walk around like a bikini clad temptress in her own yard, such to cause rending of hair and gnashing of teeth over what this would do to the Max men and boys?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

I am glad that Christopher’s kids are getting some swimming lessons, too. It is important to know how to swim and be able to save themselves if they fall into water, even if it won’t be a social activity (because it won’t). 

I kind of hope Elissa & Joe already have  their kids enrolled in a swimming program. John and Chelsy too! 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, browngrl said:

I've wanted to learn how to drive manual for years. My problem is anyone who drives a manual has a really nice sports car they love and they aren't going to let me learn on it.

Are there driving instructors who specifically teach manual?  I would love that. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

@MaryatHome I’m sorry! My mistake!

Oh, don't be sorry.  It's kind of a fluke, born of a disastrous Republican nominee.  It's really not changed much, since both houses of the legislature are still controlled by the far-right Republicans, who stand in the way of almost all progress.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, MaryatHome said:

Oh, don't be sorry.  It's kind of a fluke, born of a disastrous Republican nominee.  It's really not changed much, since both houses of the legislature are still controlled by the far-right Republicans, who stand in the way of almost all progress.

That sucks so sorry to read this. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Markie said:

I am glad that Christopher’s kids are getting some swimming lessons, too. It is important to know how to swim and be able to save themselves if they fall into water, even if it won’t be a social activity (because it won’t). 

I kind of hope Elissa & Joe already have  their kids enrolled in a swimming program. John and Chelsy too! 

I hope that Teri also taught all of her own kids to swim as well. I remember several years ago when they went kayaking on what some might call a vacation, and some posters were rightfully concerned about the safety of the girls, as this was the height of the heavy denim skirt era. Not knowing how to swim well + heavy denim could end very badly. Even being a strong swimmer, they'd probably find it challenging to stay afloat in such heavy clothing once it was wet.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Bethy said:

I hope that Teri also taught all of her own kids to swim as well. I remember several years ago when they went kayaking on what some might call a vacation, and some posters were rightfully concerned about the safety of the girls, as this was the height of the heavy denim skirt era. Not knowing how to swim well + heavy denim could end very badly. Even being a strong swimmer, they'd probably find it challenging to stay afloat in such heavy clothing once it was wet.

In one of Ruth Goodman's history series' (I want to say Tudor, but not sure) drowning was a common way for women to die then due to having to fetch the water in heavy woolen clothing.

If they lost their balance and fell in the clothing not only became too cumbersome while wet to easily maneuver, but the water added and additional 20-25 lbs.  

I will never understand the Maxwell women running and hiking in skirts.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 12
  • Sad 1

She's teaching them the sidestroke?!?  Not any of the four competitive strokes? (Well I guess they would have no use for those; swim team is out of the question). But still, sidestroke? Do even lifeguards use that stroke anymore?

In the interest of full disclosure: until as a young adult I finally learned how to swim properly, I relied on the sidestroke for many years to get me out to the float where the rest of the kids were hanging out. Still, it's only slightly less dangerous than the dog paddle if you're wanting water safety for your kids.

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I've wanted to learn how to drive manual for years. My problem is anyone who drives a manual has a really nice sports car they love and they aren't going to let me learn on it.

Are there driving instructors who specifically teach manual?  I would love that. 

I learned on a rental car almost 40 years ago. They may not have manual transmission rentals in the US any longer, but in other countries it’s still the norm. Trying to drive a stick in England with the steering wheel on the right...I felt invincible after I’d mastered that. 

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

They may not have manual transmission rentals in the US any longer, but in other countries it’s still the norm.

Whenever a team on The Amazing Race says neither knows how to drive stick I know they are early out fodder. 

I get how early teams didn't know most cars elsewhere are manual, but there is no excuse now.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic