IGNORED

M is for Mama 7: Failing at Coronavirus

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Question for people where tumble dryers aren’t common: I get how that would work in a house, you’d string it up outside or all over the kitchen. But what about people with communal laundry rooms or who use a laundromat? (If you don’t use that term it’s a big storefront filled with washers and dryers where people insert money into the machines and do their washing.) Do you have to carry home a wet load, then string it up? And I guess you have to do a lot more ironing, too. My new apartment has a communal laundry room but when I had a dryer in my apartment 90% of getting wrinkles out was spraying something with water then popping it in the dryer for a few minutes.

UK here.  A laundrette (laundromat) has washers and driers. I’ve never come across a building with a communal laundry room in this country, other than in university halls of residence and those were pay per use so essentially a mini laundrette. Does the use of a communal laundry room in other countries come with the building fees or are they pay per use?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

UK here.  A laundrette (laundromat) has washers and driers. I’ve never come across a building with a communal laundry room in this country, other than in university halls of residence and those were pay per use so essentially a mini laundrette. Does the use of a communal laundry room in other countries come with the building fees or are they pay per use?

Communal laundry is pay per use; basically a laundromat within an apartment building and access restricted to tenants only.  It’s very common around the US since so many individual apartments don’t have hookups for the machines (especially in older buildings).

the number of machines depends on how big the building is.  I used to live in a 4-unit building with only one of each machine.  

Edited by catlady
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

My building has 17 units and 18 residents, I think, and one washer and one dryer. The majority of housing in my area is in 2 or 3 unit buildings (double and triple deckers, respectively, because each apartment is on one floor and....they have decks? I guess almost everyone does have a deck of some sort. You also see quadruple deckers occasionally) with 1 washer and dryer in the basement. You can also send your laundry out and get it done by the pound, which I’ve known people who live more in the downtown area to do. 

• Upvote 2

Uggg...Today’s ask me anything. She is just insufferable. Everything has to be answered with a little bit of edge, and then when people question her about her tone or specific answer,  she gives a snarky quip. As an example, her stroller response. Evidently she doesn’t use them. How about she just admit that despite having a million little kids, she has enough servants to deal with all the chaos. Also, no Abbie, despite all your praying and Jesus speak, you are still an impatient, lackluster mother. Yep, I’ll go there.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Uggg...Today’s ask me anything. She is just insufferable. Everything has to be answered with a little bit of edge, and then when people question her about her tone or specific answer,  she gives a snarky quip. As an example, her stroller response. Evidently she doesn’t use them. How about she just admit that despite having a million little kids, she has enough servants to deal with all the chaos. Also, no Abbie, despite all your praying and Jesus speak, you are still an impatient, lackluster mother. Yep, I’ll go there.

I bet she had a stroller when her twins were little. But like you said, she now has 2 brother dads, one sister mom, and two sister moms in training. Therefore she has no need for a stroller. She likely also wants to wear her babies so she can get a workout. She seems pretty obsessed with working out. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet she had a stroller when her twins were little. But like you said, she now has 2 brother dads, one sister mom, and two sister moms in training. Therefore she has no need for a stroller. She likely also wants to wear her babies so she can get a workout. She seems pretty obsessed with working out. 

I’ve said it before. I find her among the worst fundies discussed here. Despite every advantage in the world, she is entitled, mean, narcissistic, self -centered and nasty. She wants to wear the Christian Tshirt, and loudly proclaim her faith, but her behaviors and written words are so Un-Christlike. She’s not dumb, so I’ll default to her being a fraud.

Oh, and she’s not QUIVERFULL, Bullshit!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Apparently she likes our (northern California) weather, but not our political environment. That's fine Braggie, we don't want you here either.

Also I feel like she hasn't seen the apocalyptic weather we've been having today.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Bay-Area-sky-orange-wildfire-smoke-San-Francisco-15553461.php#photo-19929995

I can confirm those photos are actual colors, not filters.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Apparently she likes our (northern California) weather, but not our political environment. That's fine Braggie, we don't want you here either.

Also I feel like she hasn't seen the apocalyptic weather we've been having today.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Bay-Area-sky-orange-wildfire-smoke-San-Francisco-15553461.php#photo-19929995

She wants to go back to her Christian conservative republican bubble. It’s hard to leave her bubble for a vacation during a pandemic. 

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I live in Santa Cruz County. It’s like the end of the world over here, and NO, we don’t want her anywhere near here. She’d hate it!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, freejugar said:

From Sarah Maxwell's puppy debacle, I've learned that you barely break even breeding your pet. What gives?

They often cut corners on health checks and shots, over price and are bad on maths. It's easy to make money when you don't add up any of the costs and just see the money at the end as your win.

As to laundry facilities, washers are WAY more common in the UK then the US. Because they are in the kitchen, they are pretty standard in any flat/apartment or house. Usually you just go wash your things at a Laundrette if you have big things or your washer broke. 

Also most people use standing racks or things inside. And a Brit will hang washing outside any chance they possibly get on lines. But winter is often easier with radiators as you can hang on or near them for fast drying, wet summer days are hardest for drying clothes. But hanging clothes is by far the norm.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ok, but either way, who actually gives a shit? It is so bizarre that Abbie elevates such unimportant, mundane details of her life. What level of self-deception do you need to be engaged in, in order to convince yourself that anyone genuinely cares about stroller vs. non-stroller or if the pillows are fluffed or if your appliances are wallpapered? 

Abbie is hands down the most internally devoid person I've ever seen. She never expresses any original ideas or offers a fresh perspective on any topic. She doesn't seem to have any actual indentity beyond what she thinks people want. Her house is bland, as is her aesthetic, her kids are oddly uniform in appearance, with nary a cartoon t-shirt to be seen. Even her husband looks like a generic stock image of a tech guy. It's absolutely fascinating to watch her pretend that bargain shopping, having babies, and loving Jesus is an actual personality. It would garner sympathy from me if she wasn't such a judgemental racist with no regard for her children. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 5

My neighbors have four puppies, and I'm about to lose my mind with the barking. It's not insanely loud, but it's constant and noticeable. She has them in a playpen thing in her front yard, I'm across the street and three houses down, inside my house. She's gonna haaaaaate it. 

Also, beagles are very prone to ear infections. There's this whole big thing about cleaning their ears in a certain way with certain stuff every week. That's not a kid job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

Abbie is hands down the most internally devoid person I've ever seen. She never expresses any original ideas or offers a fresh perspective on any topic. She doesn't seem to have any actual indentity beyond what she thinks people want.

She's never allowed herself time and space to find out who she is, or explore new options. She could do that but she chooses to stay in her tiny comfort box, popping out kids so she can show how awesomely fertile and great at being pregnant she is, and then mostly ignoring them because she doesn't really want to be a mother. She has the financial resources to be able to study her passion - if she actually did courses in design (or anything really) she might start finding things she is more interested in, see new ideas, grow internally. But she doesn't look outside the cage she's made for herself.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

She's never allowed herself time and space to find out who she is, or explore new options. She could do that but she chooses to stay in her tiny comfort box, popping out kids so she can show how awesomely fertile and great at being pregnant she is, and then mostly ignoring them because she doesn't really want to be a mother. She has the financial resources to be able to study her passion - if she actually did courses in design (or anything really) she might start finding things she is more interested in, see new ideas, grow internally. But she doesn't look outside the cage she's made for herself.

She’s a martyr for Jesus; her perceived gold ticket to heaven. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

She’s a martyr for Jesus; her perceived gold ticket to heaven. 

Which on many levels makes me sad for her. More sad for her kids, who didn't ask to be brought into their mother's martyrdom fantasy, but also for her because, well, she's not happy. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

She has the financial resources to be able to study her passion - if she actually did courses in design (or anything really) she might start finding things she is more interested in, see new ideas, grow internally. But she doesn't look outside the cage she's made for herself.

It's why endless babies and Jesus work so well for her, no time to self-reflect. The children occupy the majority of space and Jesus fills in the gaps when it comes to decision making.

I know I've said this ad nauseam but being a teenage mom pretty much consumed me from the time I found out I was pregnant at 15 till she left for college when I was 32. There was no time to learn about myself or my likes because I was so intensely focused on not fucking it up. When Baby Nova left I was empty and bereft. Even though I already knew I didn't want more kids, I briefly considered a baby because the only thing I understood was being a mom. If I wasn't parenting, what and who was I? I know its trite to say but I really did have to find myself and learn who I was. It was scary and it gave me anxiety to not have an external force like parenthood constantly shaping my actions. The freedom was bewildering and uncomfortable at first. It took time and therapy to get my sea legs but I've enjoyed getting to know myself and being able to do things just for me. Im 41 now and I couldn't imagine having decades more parenting in front of me like Abbie does. At the rate she's going, she'll never bother to sort herself out.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 12

I’m British and we have a tumble dryer. We did have a drying line years ago, but it’s not there any more. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Question for people where tumble dryers aren’t common: I get how that would work in a house, you’d string it up outside or all over the kitchen. But what about people with communal laundry rooms or who use a laundromat? (If you don’t use that term it’s a big storefront filled with washers and dryers where people insert money into the machines and do their washing.) Do you have to carry home a wet load, then string it up? And I guess you have to do a lot more ironing, too. My new apartment has a communal laundry room but when I had a dryer in my apartment 90% of getting wrinkles out was spraying something with water then popping it in the dryer for a few minutes.

I don't have a communal laundry room, we do have our own laundry machine, but we don't have a dryer. In addition, our kitchen is way too small to string the laundry up in there, so we have to dry it out in the living room. (We don't have a dryer because our kitchen is too small for it, and there's no other place to put it). The downsides of this is: drying laundry in the living room, not very nice when we have people over, takes up a lot of space, and it causes the living room to be much more humid. We have moisture absorbing stuff around in the living room because of the drying laundry.
Our appartment is on the 12th floor. I tried drying the laundry on the balcony once. Because of the draft up here, a t-shirt got blown off the drying rack over the balcony railing. So that was the first and last time I put my laundry up on the balcony. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Ok, but either way, who actually gives a shit? It is so bizarre that Abbie elevates such unimportant, mundane details of her life. What level of self-deception do you need to be engaged in, in order to convince yourself that anyone genuinely cares about stroller vs. non-stroller or if the pillows are fluffed or if your appliances are wallpapered? 

Abbie is hands down the most internally devoid person I've ever seen. She never expresses any original ideas or offers a fresh perspective on any topic. She doesn't seem to have any actual indentity beyond what she thinks people want. Her house is bland, as is her aesthetic, her kids are oddly uniform in appearance, with nary a cartoon t-shirt to be seen. Even her husband looks like a generic stock image of a tech guy. It's absolutely fascinating to watch her pretend that bargain shopping, having babies, and loving Jesus is an actual personality. It would garner sympathy from me if she wasn't such a judgemental racist with no regard for her children. 

It kind of reminds me of Maggie Gyllenhaal’s character in “Away We Go.” They buy her a stroller as a gift and she acts as if they bought a gun. “Why would I push my child away from me?” Her character is so holier than thou when it comes to parenting. Her character is such a Braggie. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Abbie is hands down the most internally devoid person I've ever seen. She never expresses any original ideas or offers a fresh perspective on any topic. She doesn't seem to have any actual indentity beyond what she thinks people want.

And yet, not only does she think they want it on instagram and and a blog, she thinks they are going to pay for a printed book full of her narcissistic "I'm just like you with a messy house BUT JESUS" ramblings.  Christian mommy books about how it's all so very hard but you're doing it for Jesus so yay you are a dime a dozen.  But Braggie thinks her musings are so terribly special and unique that she must publish them.  And as we know, what Braggie wants, Braggie gets.  Icees, constant meals out and Anthro rugs, oh my. :puke-front:

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It kind of reminds me of Maggie Gyllenhaal’s character in “Away We Go.”

I LOVE that movie. So good.  :)

• Upvote 8

Her responses and attitude remind me so much of Trump. Strollers, nope don’t use them. ( left out, I have kid and a mother servant for child care needs).  She may as well have said that strollers are for suckers. Going to combat and/or dying are for losers. (Left out, fake, medical deferment/release). They both say stupid shite to attract the admiration, but leave off the important parts. If you want a Covid test, you can get one (left out, if you’re the POTUS). You can be in shape too, just hit the gym for the 0530 class (left out, she gets payed, has someone else at home doing the dreaded AM routine, she gets fast food for breakfast every morning she attends the gym.) My husband and I used to hit up a 0500 gym class too. On the 3 days during the week that I worked, I went, and on the 2 week days I was home, he went. We both went on weekends, albeit at different times, because 50% of the time I was working on both Saturday and Sunday. The only part of her life that is remotely difficult is all those pregnancies. Otherwise, she has it quite cushy, especially for a person with a huge family. Again, she is a BS con artist. Maybe her book will be filled with con artist tips.

I abhor people who think that the rest of us are stupid and can’t see through their act.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11

It irks me how much she treats herself to meals out and fountain drinks and icees and her kids are probably lucky if they get one or two outings like that with her a year.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

43 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

It irks me how much she treats herself to meals out and fountain drinks and icees and her kids are probably lucky if they get one or two outings like that with her a year.  

Interestingly enough, I know a couple of families where the parents do this, and they are both loud and proud, Bible literalist, Christians. Most of the people heathens I know IRL, treat the kids first, and the parents (who generally don’t need treats anyway) go without.

There is 1 blogger whom I follow that always takes her kids a bagged meal into restaurants, even fast food places. Her kids are 11,8,6 and 2. The parents get to buy, and the kids get homemade sandwiches, Lunchables etc. Who does this? I can see splitting meals, but to bring your own food to a sit down restaurant or McDonalds? How classless is that? If it’s too Expensive, stay home or eat in the car.

Edited by SassyPants
  • WTF 9
  • I Agree 1

That is fucking cruel.  No other word for it. 

I remember how much joy it used to bring me when we could treat the whole family to a meal out when our kids were little.  I honestly would have felt so bad if we'd left them out. 

It's ironic that she has shit on others for practicing self-care, when she treats herself or has her kids waiting on her selfish ass pretty much every damn day.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic