IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 5: We're On Our Own

GreyhoundFan

What do you all wanna bet that fuck face comes up with some excuse as to why he can't visit

President Trump will visit a Ford ventilator assembly plant in Michigan this week with a policy requiring everyone to wear personal protective equipment (PPE), raising questions about whether he will wear a mask for the first time publicly.

"Our policy is that everyone wears PPE to prevent the spread of COVID-19," Ford spokeswoman Rachel McCleery said in a statement. "We shared all of Ford's safety protocols, including our manufacturing playbook, employee pamphlet and self-assessment survey with the White House ahead of time and in preparation for this trip."

Trump is slated to tour Ford's manufacturing facility in Ypsilanti, Mich., and deliver remarks there on Thursday. The factory has been repurposed to produce ventilators and personal protective equipment used by health care workers responding to the coronavirus outbreak.

• Upvote 6

:rolleyes:

Spoiler

At least the late Charles Durning was entertaining when he was actively bullshitting everybody:

Spoiler

• Thank You 6

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Sad that someone would get fired for refusing to lie:

I hope she can sue for unfair dismissal. What she was being asked to do was unethical. If she was asked to do that in order to convince investors to buy into the stock market and did so she would be liable for prosecution. I am not seeing the difference here.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-us-virus-cases-are-badge-of-honor-for-testing/ar-BB14kjWb?ocid=spartanntp

(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump said it’s “a badge of honor” that the U.S. has more than 1.5 million cases of coronavirus -- the highest number of infections globally -- saying the total is simply a reflection of a successful testing regime.“

"I view it as a badge of honor, really, it’s a badge of honor,” Trump told reporters during a cabinet meeting at the White House on Tuesday. “It’s a great tribute to the testing and all of the work that a lot of professionals have done.”

At least 91,000 Americans have died from Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, since February. The U.S. has now performed more than 11.8 million tests for infection by the virus, according to the Covid Tracking Project, after the government experienced delays in getting tests developed and manufactured. The U.S. continues to face testing shortages and sets priorities for who gets one.

Contrary to Trump’s claim, U.S. testing levels aren’t extraordinary. The U.S. trails countries like the U.K., Italy and Germany in tests conducted per 1,000 people, Bloomberg data show. And the U.S. is finding a case for every 7.8 tests, far behind other countries like New Zealand, Australia and South Korea, who have to test far higher numbers of people to find a case, according to figures compiled by Our World In Data.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5
  • Haha 1

I wasn't quite sure where to post this.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

Par for the course in this nasty administration. Screw over the hardworking National Guard members:

• WTF 8
  • Thank You 3

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Par for the course in this nasty administration. Screw over the hardworking National Guard members:

They should all remember to vote.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

16 hours ago, JMarie said:

President Donald Trump said it’s “a badge of honor” that the U.S. has more than 1.5 million cases of coronavirus -- the highest number of infections globally -- saying the total is simply a reflection of a successful testing regime.“

Honestly my laugh reaction is half bitter. The guy is an absolute tool. 1.5 million confirmed positives is not a badge of honour. Literally nothing this oompaloompa has done has been adequate, let alone successful. 

16 hours ago, JMarie said:

The U.S. continues to face testing shortages and sets priorities for who gets one.

I think they need to deprioritise testing in the White House for anyone in contact with Trump.

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Absolutely par for his course. Screw over anyone not directly related to him? Sure. Screw over those directly related to him when it all hits the fan? Undoubtedly. Why would he pay more money to people when he could spend that on accommodation at Trump resorts?

• Upvote 6

I just had to pick myself up in shock over this one.  He had something nice to say about Dem. Governor Kelly of Kansas.

• Thank You 3

Several GOP Senators pressing for stimulus bill (What is McConnell losing control?) (yes, I browse Fox News, yes I know they are on the right.  I also read on the left - I clicked on this piece because the photo associated with the article had MO junior Senator Josh Hawley in it and I wondered why.  

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/several-gop-senators-press-for-more-stimulus-payments-during-coronavirus-crisis

d coronavirus woes

Lee Westwood willing to miss PGA Tour events over quarantine restrictions for international players: 'Not worth it'

CORONAVIRUS

Published 1 hour ago

Several GOP senators press for more stimulus payments during coronavirus crisis

By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News

Facebook

Twitter

Flipboard

Comments

Print

Email

House Democrats pass voting by proxy, Nancy Pelosi's $3 trillion stimulus bill

Republicans say the bill is dead on arrival in the Senate; reaction from House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, Rep. Lee Zeldin, American Conservative Union Chairman Matt Schlapp and Fox News contributor Charlie Hurt.

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has sought to hit pause on the government’s massive spending for coronavirus-related relief packages, but several of his Republican colleagues are pushing for additional stimulus measures during the economic crisis.

McConnell told reporters earlier this month that after already spending close to $3 trillion, Congress should “take a pause” to assess the current situation, which includes a rising national debt, but a contingent of GOP senators has supported moving forward with another relief package.

PELOSI URGES SENATE TO TAKE UP HEROES ACT QUICKLY: 'TIME IS VERY IMPORTANT'

“Our bill would help offset the collapse of state and local revenues resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic,” Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said on the Senate floor Wednesday, pointing to rising unemployment and hits to sectors of the economy such as agriculture, hospitality, tourism and others.

Video

“Congress has a tremendous responsibility to help mitigate the impact of this crisis on our states and our local communities and on the families they serve,” she said. “We must not wait. We should act now.”

Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., slammed the decision for the Senate to go on recess before taking action on another relief bill.

“Anyone who thinks now is the time to go on recess hasn’t been listening,” he tweeted, adding that before the recess the Senate should pass another stimulus bill, tackle the “ongoing public health crisis with nursing homes & assisted living centers,” and fix the Payroll Protection Program meant to provide forgivable loans to small businesses.

Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., is pushing for Congress to pay workers up to 80 percent of their pay up to the national median wage, The Hill reported.

“I have made no secret about it. I think that we need to act sooner rather than later on employment,” he said.

AOC-LED PUSH TO KILL AMAZON'S NYC MOVE UNDER RENEWED SCRUTINY AS CITY FACES CATASTROPHIC JOB LOSSES

A number of Republicans see the current crisis as an opportunity to improve infrastructure while boosting the economy at the same time.

“Personally, I’d like to see infrastructure,” Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., told CNN.

“If we’re going to have to spend money to reignite the economy, I’d prefer to spend it on something that has long-term benefit.”

Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., also told CNN the Senate should “seriously consider putting part of the infrastructure bill” into a “phase four” relief package that he said could happen next month.

“I think June doesn't need to come and go without a phase four,” he said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told the network that he too supports putting money into infrastructure now and that this is “a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to give a facelift to the country.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The House, meanwhile, has already passed a $3 trillion HEROES Act that would provide additional stimulus payments to Americans on top of the ones from the recent CARES Act. Republicans have mocked the new bill as bloated with Democratic "wishlist" items including provisions related to immigration and the cannabis industry.

McConnell has said that while he is not ready to pass another relief package just yet, he is “not ruling that out” for the future.

Fox News' Andrew O'Reilly contributed to this report.

• Upvote 6

He's such a narcissist:

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 5

#MoscowMitch couldn't care less about the American people.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-claims-he-wore-mask-didnt-want-reporters-to-see-2020-5

Is this the mask he's all bunged up about? Why couldn't he wear a rectangular opaque one that covered his mouth and nose, LIKE EVERY OTHER PERSON IN EVERY SINGLE PICTURE???

On a side note, I like the Ford-logoed holder thing the guy on the right is wearing.  Instead of the loops going around your ears, and possibly irritating them, the ear loops attach to the band to keep the mask in place.

• Upvote 6

We are slowly removing some restrictions where I am from (Montréal, Québec). I was (and still am) scared about school reopenings, not sure it was the right call. But I think it is okay to lift some restrictions, especially businesses. It has been very difficult for local businesses and in general the stores are well prepared (with one-way alleys, a limited numbers of people at the time, signs on the floor to respect social distancing, plexiglasses to protect the cashier, no contact payment, etc.). And personal care businesses (nail and hair salons, massage therapists, beauticians, etc.) are to remain closed until further notice, which I think is wise.

The problem is that I fear everyone will start to be careless. I can already see it the parks. I understand that I live in a very urban area, where people live mainly in appartment buildings (so no backyard to enjoy the nice weather). But the 14-15 people sharing food around a picnic table at the park aren't social distancing. I think lifting some restrictions is okay, but for some people it is like Covid has now disappered.

97958675_2868097139942669_1066265290960011264_n.jpg.6165dfa8a3f4f59fbdaa89c3e62cb9be.jpg

PS: I love that this scene is now a meme! ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

@Vivi_music, I am hugely relieved that schools in Montreal are closed till September.  I was really concerned about it.  I’ve discovered it isn’t worth going out to parks on the weekends (apartment dwellers here)- there are so many people, it is just stressful trying to manoeuvre it.  I’ve found the week days are better.  

But I think the second wave is going to be big and soon here.  I’m just hoping my sister (who is a diabetic), and my husband (who is immune compromised), will be safe.  They both work essential jobs, and while they aren’t in contact with a lot of people at work, they still need to go in to work.    

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

@treehugger Appartment dweller in Montreal too here. I totally understand the need to go out. Like others, I'm torn. Me and Mr. Music have gone to walks almost everyday since the beginning of the lockdown. It is a human need to go outside, see people. I have done ''meetings'' with my parents and some friends where they stayed on their balcony while we were chatting from the sidewalks. I miss people too.

And tomorrow I agreed to go on a social distance meeting where me and a friend will sit each on our blankets in the park, face masks if needed, at 2 meters apart, no food sharing, nor any touching. I am still hesitant to be honest, but I did accept because a part of me is really eager to see my friend. She gave birth in april, in the mist of a pandemic, and she wants me to meet her daughter (from a distance of course). And while I'm a bit scared, I do miss her. It really is super weird because I feel so devided inside. 

And I agree with you. I'm also more scared for my relatives than myself. My Mom is diabetic and my stepdad (her husband) has COPD. When the pandemic first started, I had actual panic attacks because I was overthinking about what would happen to them. They are retired so work is one less thing to worry. (I dunno how you do it, with your loved-ones going in to work still. I'd be mortified.) But I know it is super hard on their mental health. My step-dad with his COPD says he won't socialize at all until there is at least a sort of way to treat this. Which my mom understands, of course. But she is miserable because she misses the family, her friends, everyone. Montreal really has a hard time controlling this thing. I also believe we will have a second wave at one point. I have no idea what the fall and winter will be like but I think in the city, things won't go back to normal at least until 2021. :(

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

Wow, just wow: "Ohio county apologizes for ‘offensive’ guide urging minorities to avoid ‘gang symbolism’ on masks"

Health authorities in Ohio’s largest county are apologizing this week after issuing “offensive” face-mask guidance for African Americans and people of color, urging them to steer clear of masks that could be associated with “gang symbolism” or “elicit deeply held stereotypes.”

The Franklin County Public Health department, which just recently declared racism a public health crisis, had issued its guidance last month after African Americans expressed concern about being racially profiled while wearing face masks. Officials said they wanted to “ensure that all individuals feel safe and can protect themselves from the COVID-19 when out in public by wearing a face mask.”

But the pointers the health department offered didn’t exactly resonate in the way authorities apparently hoped. The guidelines, which encouraged people of color to wear brightly colored masks with decorative fabric, also urged:

“Avoid fabrics that elicit deeply held stereotypes. (i.e. bandannas, skull prints, horror prints, etc.)"

“When utilizing a homemade mask, avoid bandannas that are red or blue, as these are typically associated with gang symbolism.”

And finally: “It is not recommended to wear a scarf just simply tied around the head as this can indicate unsavory behavior, although not intended.”

To critics, it sounded more like guidance on how to avoid being attacked or stigmatized because of their skin color.

“This racist ‘guidance’ from @FC_PublicHealth is unacceptable,” one critic who distributed the guidelines wrote on Twitter. “They’re really suggesting that [people of color] take responsibility and make careful mask choices during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC to avoid being lynched.”

As the criticism mounted, county health authorities walked back the document on Wednesday afternoon, saying they realized “some of the language used came across as offensive and blaming the victims.”

“We have listened to the opinions and are using the voice of the public to inform any new guidance we put out,” the health department wrote “Everyone deserves to feel safe while wearing a face covering and not be subjected to stigma, bias or discrimination. We apologize and will continue to stay engaged in tough conversations to be better for the communities we serve.”

image.png.c8625541280106fde6e97b5005517099.png

The health department’s apology was particularly notable to some critics because it came one week after Franklin County Public Health declared racism a public health crisis, acknowledging how decades of discrimination and segregation have created serious health disparities between black and white Ohioans. Commissioners in Franklin County adopted a resolution similar to the health department’s on Tuesday, pledging to devote more resources to addressing health inequities in minority communities.

“Racism has been a pandemic long before the current coronavirus pandemic,” Franklin County Commissioner Kevin L. Boyce said in a statement.

The coronavirus pandemic has only exposed and exacerbated those disparities, as black people all over the country are dying from the disease at rates disproportionate to those of white people. The same has been true in the state of Ohio, which has seen at least 30,167 cases and 1,836 deaths. Although African Americans make up about 13 percent of Ohio’s population, they account for at least 26 percent of covid-19 cases, 31 percent of hospitalizations and 17 percent of deaths, Gov. Mike DeWine (R) revealed in a Thursday news conference.

“The health disparities didn’t occur overnight. They are complex and present complex challenges,” he said, pledging that his Minority Strike Task Force would release a report next month. “The current coronavirus pandemic has brought into high contrast these troubling issues.”

Public health experts in Ohio and elsewhere have explained that the coronavirus racial disparities are likely due to higher rates of chronic disease, such as heart disease and diabetes, among black Americans compared to white Americans. Yet those disparities are in turn largely because of decades of inequitable access to health care in minority communities, experts have said.

“We hear more and more that people are clamoring to return to normal,” said Joy Bivens, director of the Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services, during this week’s county commission meeting, the Columbus Dispatch reported. “Our community can never return to normal. Normal was not working for them. Black people and people of color were in crisis before covid hit our community.”

Health disparities have not been the only way in which black Americans have been disproportionately affected throughout the covid-19 crisis. Black people have been arrested or cited for social distancing infractions at disproportionate rates compared to white people in some jurisdictions, as The Washington Post recently reported.

And after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended last month that everyone wear masks in public, some black Americans felt discomfort that white Americans could not relate to: fear that donning a face covering could subject them to racial profiling.

On April 4, the day after the CDC released its facial-covering recommendations, Columbus resident Aaron Thomas described that fear in a viral tweet: “I don’t feel safe wearing a handkerchief or something else that isn’t CLEARLY a protective mask covering my face to the store because I am a Black man living in this world,” Thomas wrote. “I want to stay alive but I also want to stay alive."

image.png.a8be8935bc9cb0de105e999efd1dc01a.png

The tweet caught the attention of Franklin County Public Health, as officials intended to address the concerns raised by Thomas and those who may feel similarly. They said in the guidance document that they understood some African Americans may feel “general reluctance in wearing masks in public due to the possibility of profiling from law enforcement, discrimination while in grocery stores, public spaces, or when interacting with the general public.”

But as the guidance made the rounds on social media this week, some questioned why it wasn’t instead aimed toward law enforcement or white people.

“Will @FC_PublicHealth be following up with some general guidance to white people and law enforcement to advise them against treating Black and Brown community members as a threat simply because they are wearing a scarlet bandana or a mask that is not brightly colored?” wrote Nikki Baszynski, a Columbus attorney with the Justice Collaborative.

On Wednesday, some thought the apology was not enough, although others said they appreciated it in light of the agency’s recent commitment to addressing racial health inequities

“Apologies are more strengthened by actions than by words, so of course you know the important work of anti-racism based public health continues,” Riko Boone, a public health social worker, wrote on Twitter. “This is an important step in that direction."

• WTF 3

I wonder if, deep down, he really thinks he's attractive. Because he's not.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

I don't think it's about looking stupid.  I think he thinks that if he wears a mask he'll look weak and heaven forbid mr moronic manly man look weak.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Holy shit - - I do not believe this is a "mistake," it is not that hard to count tests!  I believe this is  deliberate attempt to mislead and confuse the public in order to make the response look better than it is.  It is so we think leaders are on top of things, particularly in places where the leaders are definitely NOT on top of things.  It is obfuscation, pure and simple.  Better to lie their way out than to actually, you know, lead and stuff.  What a travesty! I am furious about this!  ?

• Upvote 7

Good gravy: "Trump deems houses of worship 'essential' amid pandemic and threatens to override governors"

Washington (CNN) President Donald Trump announced Friday that his administration is issuing guidance deeming places of worship "essential" operations during the coronavirus pandemic, threatening to "override" governors if their states did not follow the new federal recommendations.

"Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics essential, but have left our churches and houses of worship. It's not right. So I'm correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential," Trump said during his announcement at the White House.

The President said that at his direction, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will provide the guidance.

Trump said he was calling upon governors to "allow churches and places of worship to open right now."

"If there's any question, they're going to have to call me, but they're not going to be successful in that call," Trump added.

"The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, this weekend. If they don't do it, I will override the governors," he continued.

A senior administration official told CNN that the guidance had been initially delayed because some officials believed the proposals were too detailed and would be impossible for churches and others to achieve. There was also talk of putting out no guidance at all on religious services, but Trump had conversations with CDC officials and urged them to issue something.

The White House coronavirus task force finalized the guidance during a meeting on Thursday, the source said.

The President referred to the conversations with CDC officials on Thursday, telling participants and the press at a listening session with African Americans, "I said, 'You better put it out.' "

"I spoke to CDC today about churches. We've got to get our churches open. We've got to get our country open," he said.

I wonder if he'll be rushing to attend services as soon as churches open. LOL, just kidding, he only worships at the twin altars of money and Mar-a-Loco.

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic