IGNORED

Coronavirus 2

GreyhoundFan

I’m afraid of an after Easter bump, too.  I hope I’m wrong and people are smart and postpone gatherings.

if I can do it, anyone can.  Look who I had to tell he can’t spend Easter with Gramma...

Spoiler

813803CC-3457-4953-B963-798BB58897DA.jpeg

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
spoiler for my grandpibble
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 30

32 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

One thing I noticed was how eerily quiet it was in the store.  Everyone kept to themselves and stayed out of each other's way.

I went to Target yesterday.  It was eerily quiet there, too, and everyone was shopping alone.  No chatting in the aisles, no lingering in the home décor section. And no homemade scarf masks.  About 3/4 of the customers were wearing masks, but they were hospital ones only.

• Upvote 9

Ok, you guys probably know I'm an atheist. And maybe that's why I don't understand. Can someone please explain to me this urgent need to congregate together to hear a pastor hold a sermon?

Is faith something that is so vulnerable and fragile that it needs to hear sermons every week or it will evaporate or something? I thought believing in a deity is a choice. That your faith therefore, is a choice. You choose to believe. So why are sermons a necessity that you are willing to risk not only your own life, but that of your fellow believers and family members? I really don't get it.

(It's one of the main gripes I have with organised religion. Why would you need someone else to tell you how to believe? Why put your faith into the hands of someone else? Isn't that giving away the agency of your belief?)

To be clear, I'm not questioning why someone choses to believe. That's simply a personal matter that does not concern me whatsoever. Everyone is free to believe whatever they want, without judgment from others.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

I think someone posted the news that Boris was in intensive care somewhere else here. Anyway, he’s out of intensive care now. Still in hospital, just not ICU. 
I would not want to be Carrie Symonds right now. Not that I’d want to be in a relationship with Boris normally, but being pregnant at this point in time with your fiancé in hospital must be awful, whoever you are and whoever that fiancé is. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

15 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Can someone please explain to me this urgent need to congregate together to hear a pastor hold a sermon?

I do not understand either. Especially since if the point is just gathering as a community, they can do that from the safety of their homes using several online platforms. There is literally no justification for what these churches are doing. The pastors need to be shamed for risking lives like this. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Ok, you guys probably know I'm an atheist. And maybe that's why I don't understand. Can someone please explain to me this urgent need to congregate together to hear a pastor hold a sermon?

Is faith something that is so vulnerable and fragile that it needs to hear sermons every week or it will evaporate or something? I thought believing in a deity is a choice. That your faith therefore, is a choice. You choose to believe. So why are sermons a necessity that you are willing to risk not only your own life, but that of your fellow believers and family members? I really don't get it.

(It's one of the main gripes I have with organised religion. Why would you need someone else to tell you how to believe? Why put your faith into the hands of someone else? Isn't that giving away the agency of your belief?)

To be clear, I'm not questioning why someone choses to believe. That's simply a personal matter that does not concern me whatsoever. Everyone is free to believe whatever they want, without judgment from others.

I have been a Christian my entire life and I don't get it.

I keep seeing Christians claim they are not afraid. They are making a big deal about not being afraid, so that makes me think they are actually quite afraid. Going to church is a great way to show you are not afraid like those evil heathens. 

This is not the way I wanted Easter to go. I like dressing up my kids and myself and taking photographs. I like carefully picking out fun stuff for their Easter baskets and to stuff inside of eggs. I start planning weeks in advance. I am guilty of going overboard. This year will be different. The kids will still get baskets and eggs with stuff inside. We had plastic eggs already that we saved from previous years. We found egg stuffers and basket stuffers by looking for stuff I bought in the before times to put away for Easter/birthdays and Mr. A quickly grabbed some things last time he was at the store. 

We will celebrate Easter at home this year and stream a service. It will be different and safe. We will make it a fun memory for the kids without putting ourselves and others in danger.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

In my area, many families often like to meet in a park for an Easter picnic instead of gathering at someone's house. That is, until this year where the city's parks department posted a reminder not to do that this year, as picnic areas are closed. Hopefully, those who do such a thing will take this virus seriously and stay home instead.

I've also never understood the need for some to go to a building to worship, as many churches that are taking this virus seriously have moved to online services instead. As far as family gatherings go, there's always the option of having a Zoom or other virtual meal, just as many Jewish people are doing for Passover.

• Upvote 7

People have a need for community.  And pretending this isolation isn’t affecting mental health isn’t helpful.  These kind of church events are filling that need for some sense of community.  And ftr, I have read that many are arranging to use unused radio frequencies to broadcast on site so windows are not down.  
It is no different than the friend of ours who had dinner with the neighbors in a warm day this week by moving patio tables to the opposite sides of the driveway that separates their properties and each family bringing their own food. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

People have a need for community.  And pretending this isolation isn’t affecting mental health isn’t helpful.  These kind of church events are filling that need for some sense of community.  And ftr, I have read that many are arranging to use unused radio frequencies to broadcast on site so windows are not down.  
It is no different than the friend of ours who had dinner with the neighbors in a warm day this week by moving patio tables to the opposite sides of the driveway that separates their properties and each family bringing their own food. 

No one here is pretending isolation isn't causing mental health issues for some people, what people are trying to understand is why some people's need for community is important enough to risk the lives of others.

What I'm trying to understand is if people park next to each other with their windows up to listen to the radio how is that filling a need for community?  (and the article did mention a loud speaker so there will be windows down at some of those events.)

I'm not being snarky, I am genuinely curious as to how being parked next to someone with windows up serves any kind of emotional need.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I don't get it either (and my Mamma ? dressed me up in my finest Easter outfit every year and took me to church...)

Makes me wonder if the pastor passes the donation basket during the sermon, and if there's subtle pressure that "real" believers show up in person rather than watch a streaming sermon from home. I can't see why someone would intentionally gather people together when it's so unsafe to do so.

• Upvote 9

Missouri schools closed for the rest of the academic year.  

im not quite as concerned locally about an after Easter bump because in my county churches are included in stay at home (but exempt in the state one).  I was worried in March about the impending spring break college students leaving and returning (given what we saw on Florida beaches, I was right to be concerned)

• Upvote 6

I don't remember seeing this posted yet - we've lost John Prine to the virus.

• Sad 4
  • Love 3

This is NOT what I expected when I opened my CNN tab this morning.  For those of us who survived Ammon Bundy's occupation of the Malheur Wildlife Preserve in 2016 (refresher here), the reason he's doing this (muh RIGHTS!) won't be  surprise.  Ammon Bundy vows to defy stay-at-home orders for Easter gathering

Ammon, who lives in Boise, ID, is trying to pull together a Mormon flash mob for Easter Sunday, but he won't say where, otherwise it won't be a flash mob, right? 

He said he believes it's his constitutional right to assemble, even as state and local officials urge people to socially distance to avoid spreading the virus further.

While sane people are trying to avoid getting sick, Ammon has a different point of view.  

Bundy, 44, didn't seem concerned about the possibility of catching or spreading the novel coronavirus. "I actually want the virus," he said. "I'm healthy, my family is healthy. I'd rather have it now so my body is immune to it."

This got me to wondering about this herd immunity deal promoted by one or two contrarian epidemiologists, and a subset of people who think that (like the anti-vax, "better to let the kids get the measles")  The 'Rona is just a little cold, get it once and done and then you have immunity.  Now I'm wondering if this is a widespread belief in the Sov Cit, prepper, End Times community and the anti-vax community as well and I'll address this rabbit hole in a separate post, because yes, yes there is! 

Edited by Howl
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 2

I saw this morning that the FDA gave Alex Jones a knock it off or we're going after you for fake covid cures warning.

• Upvote 8

Our governor just extended our "Stay Safe, Stay Home" directive through May 15th (originally was supposed to end April 15th). I get it. I appreciate that they're trying to keep us all safe. I have been and will continue to follow guidelines. But I'm starting to get antsy and I miss seeing my co-workers, even though we chat on Teams all day. And I worry about my mother who is still working (although with only one other person in her office). I never realized accounting firms were considered essential.....but it is tax season. I guess.  At least I haven't gotten sick of my fiancé yet and I have my dog to remind me to get outside :)

• Upvote 8

My church has been doing services via video conferencing using Zoom.  We are using disposable Communion cups.  The ministers drop them off on our doorsteps, so there's no contact.

Easter Sunday is going to be a bad day in the south.  A major severe weather outbreak has been predicted for a large area of multiple southern states.  A potential natural disaster during a pandemic is terrifying!

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Jon Meacham, when asked by Stephen Colbert about Christians who insist on gathering for Easter because it's part of the Christian Tradition:  (minute 2:17)

"Being willfully stupid is not part of the Christian tradition.  Just don't."

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I just got an email from my insurance company, saying they are giving us a partial rebate on auto insurance for April and May. It's good PR for them, and easy for them to afford, since so many of us are not driving anywhere and not having accidents, so win-win.

More about various companies who are doing something like this:

https://www.aarp.org/auto/car-maintenance-safety/info-2020/coronavirus-car-insurance-premium-refund.html

• Upvote 9

23 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’m afraid of an after Easter bump, too.  I hope I’m wrong and people are smart and postpone gatherings.

if I can do it, anyone can.  Look who I had to tell he can’t spend Easter with Gramma...

Reveal hidden contents

813803CC-3457-4953-B963-798BB58897DA.jpeg

Awww...

My sister was mentioning that her grandson has decided that he is too shy to Skype. "He will probably forget what I look like."

I told her that he will probably get over it, especially if his parents don't make a big deal about it.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

A friend shared this with me.  Warning, it made me all sobby.  I love this song to begin with and some added visuals to it.

• Love 4

10 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

A potential natural disaster during a pandemic is terrifying!

Yeah, and there are a few going on. Unfortunately the weather doesn't stop because we're trying to isolate! 

Cyclone Harold hit Vanuatu at full strength. Vanuatu's borders are closed due to covid-19, and now they're trying to weigh up the relative risks of allowing humanitarian aid in vs introducing the virus into new areas, which has the potential to overload their health system very quickly.

Meanwhile a second locust swarm in several African countries is causing widespread crop devastation, and hampering efforts to stop covid-19 spread as people go out to try and save their crops and prevent food shortages.

And, with spectacular timing, Anak Krakatoa just erupted in Indonesia. 

Hoping everyone's regions stay calm and uninterrupted by nature - I admit to being glad that the bushfires were out before we locked down, because that would have impacted everything quite a lot.

• Sad 9

For those who saw my messages 2 weeks ago: after 16 days of being intubated at the ICU my dad got his tube removed this morning! Until now everything goes well so if he manages to keep stable he can move to the normal floor within a few days.

I am soooo looking forward to have a call with him soon

• Upvote 3
  • Love 43

2 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

For those who saw my messages 2 weeks ago: after 16 days of being intubated at the ICU my dad got his tube removed this morning! Until now everything goes well so if he manages to keep stable he can move to the normal floor within a few days.

I am soooo looking forward to have a call with him soon

That is such good news. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and hoping you can talk to him soon. 

• I Agree 9
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic