IGNORED

Amy and Dillon 6: Moving Past the Duggars

Coconut Flan

29 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

So Amy invades Anna's space without being asked and Anna tells her to fuck off (or the fundie equivalent). Amy gets so upset about this interaction that she can't drive. And then Amy goes on social media and blabs about it.

My sympathies are with Anna. And there's a sentence I never expected to write. 

If Amy would have had a more positive interaction with Anna, she would have run to social media to share that too. Amy isn’t going to give Anna any privacy, so either way, Anna can’t win.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

If I had a relative like Amy and her mom, who I knew were going to run and do TikTok’s and interviews and whatever else about what I said or did(or didn’t say or do), I also would not talk to them. I’d probably be a whole lot nastier than just “please give me space.”

Amy and Deanna strike me as wanting material they can sell; not genuine offers of help.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

15 minutes ago, sableduck said:

If I had a relative like Amy and her mom, who I knew were going to run and do TikTok’s and interviews and whatever else about what I said or did(or didn’t say or do), I also would not talk to them. I’d probably be a whole lot nastier than just “please give me space.”

Amy and Deanna strike me as wanting material they can sell; not genuine offers of help.

Yes: Amy and Deanna are manufacturing drama the same way as Hollywood frenemies did to get column inches in the entertainment tabloids. 

• Upvote 6

Amy got in there “I will NEVER stop protecting children” (as if that is what this is) and Deanna had to shoehorn in “Gothard” in order to make the Shiny Happy People reference. What a dumpster fire of a mother and daughter. 

• Upvote 6

Hey Famy, it looks like you're not as estranged from your cousins as you'd like us to believe. Hey, there's Anna, too! 🙄

image.png.85b92736bdc65a5bfdc1a6899d776b29.png

4 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Hey Famy, it looks like you're not as estranged from your cousins as you'd like us to believe. Hey, there's Anna, too! 🙄

This picture is 3 years old though. I think the trial is what made the rift much bigger. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

5 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Except this is from like 3 years ago tho and alot has happened since then

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, RebeccaRay said:

Except this is from like 3 years ago tho and alot has happened since then

But she claims to have been estranged from them for several years. Not just 3. She's been using the Duggars to line her own pockets for many years. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Actually now that I do the math, that picture is 4 years old. 

Right. Holy terror Dax is almost 4. 

• Upvote 3

Given what Amy has said about Anna, in very public forums (her open letter to Anna), I can’t say that I am surprised that Anna dismissed her. It is 100% none of my business but I am curious about how Anna and the kids are coping. It’s been just over 1.5 years since Josh’s conviction so I’m guessing it’s become normal for everyone that he’s in prison but in her quiet moments, how is Anna really doing? 

• Upvote 6

I think it’s possible Amy had started to sort of grow apart from the Duggars when Josh’s scandals first broke in 2015. But she still hung out with them in group settings. And then when Josh was charged with possessing CSA material, I imagine that’s when the rift grew bigger. I have always called her Famy so I’m not sticking up for her. I think she’s an attention whore. But I can understand a gradual shift of being less and less close until the charges and then being an actual rift where they are barely speaking anymore. Not including Jill of course. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

The Duggars attended Famy's wedding and left en masse when the dancing started. Not sure what year that was, though. But at that point, they were still on speaking terms and invited. 

eta Looked it up. Famy got married 9/15. So after the molestations broke by several months. Maybe Smuggar wasn't invited? But her uncle and aunt, who covered everything up, were.

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, marmalade said:

The Duggars attended Famy's wedding and left en masse when the dancing started. Not sure what year that was, though. But at that point, they were still on speaking terms and invited. 

eta Looked it up. Famy got married 9/15. So after the molestations broke by several months. Maybe Smuggar wasn't invited? But her uncle and aunt, who covered everything up, were.

I don’t think she’s claimed they had a major rift after the first scandals in 2015. I though they were still on speaking terms with the family until Josh was charged with CSA. Which was years later. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t think she’s claimed they had a major rift after the first scandals in 2015. I though they were still on speaking terms with the family until Josh was charged with CSA. Which was years later. 

Frankly I don't pay Famy enough attention to know exactly when she got all "Imma protecting the CHILDREN, beeyotches!" But she was still talking to the wives of older male cousins not named Josh as recently as 4 years ago. When was he arrested? I doubt she knew about the raid at the car lot until the rest of us found out.

• Upvote 2

To be fair, the extent of Michelle and Jim Bob’s cover up wasn’t known until the molestation scandal and documentary. I doubt Amy was given the full story back then and being a newly wed/about to wed she may have been distracted.

• Upvote 5

I frankly don’t think Amy or Deanna are as different from JB as they’d like to believe. All of them seem to be all about the attention and the fame.

I’m sure there are family members who have genuinely reached out to Anna, who seems to want to be completely out of the spotlight. I don’t believe Amy or Deanna are genuine. I think it’s all about social media views and interview opportunities.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

21 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

My sympathies are with Anna. And there's a sentence I never expected to write. 

I never expected to ever post on an Amy thread as I find her so utterly boring and pointless but here I am!  

For Anna to say “give me space” makes me think she’s had some counseling, because it sounds like something she was advised to say by….maybe some kind of therapist. Sure, a church certified one only but it sounds like a pat answer she probably says to a lot of people. She’s actually setting a boundary(!) She also knows shyster Amy through and through, is well aware that any interaction with her is heading straight to social media. I wonder what kind of reaction Amy was expecting Anna to have. Like, blink s.o.s. in Morse code or something? 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Cam said:

I never expected to ever post on an Amy thread as I find her so utterly boring and pointless but here I am!  

For Anna to say “give me space” makes me think she’s had some counseling, because it sounds like something she was advised to say by….maybe some kind of therapist. Sure, a church certified one only but it sounds like a pat answer she probably says to a lot of people. She’s actually setting a boundary. She also knows shyster Amy through and through, is well aware that any interaction with her is heading straight to social media.

I think the only counseling she would get is with a church counselor. Which means they probably aren’t licensed. I honestly can’t say if a Christian counselor is better than nothing. Because some counsel women to stay with their abusers or stay with husbands like Josh. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the only counseling she would get is with a church counselor. Which means they probably aren’t licensed. I honestly can’t say if a Christian counselor is better than nothing. Because some counsel women to stay with their abusers or stay with husbands like Josh. 

I’m not saying the point of Anna’s counseling would be the matter her marriage. Only that her reply to Amy sounds to me like she may possibly have sought help on how to move forward with her current situation and how to deal with prying eyes and not “should I  stay or should I go now”. For Anna to set a boundary is putting herself first. Not something taught to fundie females.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Cam said:

For Anna to say “give me space” makes me think she’s had some counseling, because it sounds like something she was advised to say by….maybe some kind of therapist. Sure, a church certified one only but it sounds like a pat answer she probably says to a lot of people. She’s actually setting a boundary(!) She also knows shyster Amy through and through, is well aware that any interaction with her is heading straight to social media. I wonder what kind of reaction Amy was expecting Anna to have. Like, blink s.o.s. in Morse code or something? 

Personally I’m too skeptical to believe this. IMO “give me space” just sounds like a fundy-acceptable way of telling someone to fuck off. If Anna’s done any counseling it’s been nothing more than talking to an entirely unqualified “counselor” or uneducated pastor through whatever church she attends.

• Upvote 5

@Giraffe I agree- any therapist will have been sourced by either Jim Bob or David Waller. Anna does not have the means or probably the inclination to go anywhere else. Anna may not be particularly educated, but she is social media savvy- she curated her instagram account ti try and rehabilitate her family image after the 1st scandal and was active on Twitter denouncing others when they were in DC.

She knows anything she says to Amy or in Amy’s hearing is going straight to her social media - Anna does not want any of the ‘help’ Amy is offering, so why engage with her? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

She knows anything she says to Amy or in Amy’s hearing is going straight to her social media - Anna does not want any of the ‘help’ Amy is offering, so why engage with her? 

This is the thing. Yes Amy has publicly condemned Gothard and Josh etc., but it still doesn’t mean she’s a safe person in any way. And sharing this interaction with Anna certainly confirms Anna being right not to confide in Amy! If anyone were genuinely wanting to help Anna they would keep all interactions with her private, not go blasting it on the internet. Famy is indeed an accurate nickname. 

• Upvote 8

I used to appreciate Amy Duggar, she was sort of the model for "a Christian girl from Arkansas who isn't fully fundie" and sometimes made a good contrast against the older Duggar girls (and sometimes looked very obviously like producers set up a scene for conflict). 

Now I read the title of this thread: Amy and Dillon 6: Moving Past the Duggars and in Will Lyman's* voice hear "No. In fact, they're never moving past the Duggars.Without Michelle's plentiful uterus, the Duggar family would not be special or well known, and neither would the Duggar family adjacents."

*Will Lyman narrates PBS's Frontline documentaries and other stuff, you've probably heard his voice. https://whitethroat.com/demos-voice-actor-samples/

• Upvote 1

Social media has made attention whores of many many people. It’s immediate positive reinforcement like never experienced before in history. It’s addictive. Amy has always wanted attention. First it was with the show. Then it was with a music career. And now she’s finally got the immediate attention she’s wanted for years. People are watching everything she posts about the Duggars. People are asking questions, giving likes, and posting praise. Social media tells you what is most popular. Her videos about random life of a mom of a 4 year old? Not that popular. A video about a very brief interaction with Anna? Tons of likes, views, and attention. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2