IGNORED

Amy and Dillon 6: Moving Past the Duggars

Coconut Flan

Sorry to bump this. But wondering if it’s just me. Amy totally comes across as the most annoying parent ever.  Her instagram has the most cringe worthy stuff ever.  Like her posting about her kid cutting apples with a sharp knife. I could hardly watch it. Sure. I think it’s awesome to have young kids in the kitchen helping. But they make kid knives.  I was worried that poor kid was gonna cut his finger off!  I’m surprised no one mentioned it.  

• I Agree 1

I feel two very different things about Amy. One is that she’s annoying. But the second feeling is that of agreeing when she shits on Josh and JB. Because they deserve it. But I’ve met people similar to Amy in real life. People that I totally agree with in so many beliefs but I find their personality highly annoying. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

How old is her son? I think you can start knives carefully around 4 or 5 if you are watchful and your kid listens okay. I might do something softer than apples, though, in case it slips. My daughter isn't 2 yet and she LOVES helping in the kitchen.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

He's 3. And he was shown using a full sized chefs knife. Amy says that he throws table knives; he wants the sharpest. She's indulging him to a fault, IMO, in her quest to parent gently. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Kiddie kitchen knives aren't recommended until age 6.  Four year olds are IMO way too unpredictable for a chef knife much less a three year old. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I guess she will learn when he cuts his finger and she has to take him to get stitches. 

If it’s a chef’s knife, he might cut his finger off.

37 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

If it’s a chef’s knife, he might cut his finger off.

Story time: 

Just 6 months ago my mom was helping my sister prep for a party. She was cutting up a watermelon and sliced a huge gash into her hand. I am embarrassed that I was immediately so mad. I swear I’ve turned into my mom and she has turned into her own grandmother. I feel like I tell her too often that she needs to slow down. My mom constantly said the same damn thing to her grandma (my great grandma) all through my childhood. Grandma was always go go go. Cooking, cleaning, sewing, gardening, etc. that was fine when she was 30 but not at 80! So my grandma would have falls. Thank goodness she never broke her hip. But it was always, “grandma you have to slow down.” And now I feel like I say the same to my mom. She’s just one of those people who like to stay busy and always seems to be in a rush to get a bunch of things done all at once. And I assume that’s why she ended up cutting her hand. Now I imagine I’ll be like this when I’m almost 70 but I have boys. So I don’t know if they will tell me to slow down.

Moral of the story: you need to be very careful with knives at all ages. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5

GROSS INJURY AHEAD.

Kitchen accidents can happen at any age.  My mom was a mom when this happened.  She was trying to get a butter pat off a frozen stick of butter.  The fork ripped through the butter stick and into her finger, times surrounding the bone.  She calmly walked into the living room and said, "Lester, can you get this out of my finger?"  Dad did.  She stubbornly didn't go to the hospital and was more careful around butter in the future.

• Upvote 2

Waiting for the day Amy posts about her son's surgery after the miracle child gets up at 6 AM and thinks he can prepare breakfast for himself without supervision.

• Upvote 9

Oh and I have to add, my kids LOVED cutting play-doh when they were little. They would sit and cut up play-doh for what seemed like hours. Like I said, a plastic butter knife will work just fine. They can practice those find motor skills all day if they want. And no severed fingers.

• Upvote 8

I have friends who are really into Montessori and all their kids are using kitchen knives at really young ages. Like sharp kitchen knives. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

Granddaughter went to Montessori school and never touched a sharp kitchen knife.  Obviously curriculum varies.

• Upvote 7

You have to have some common sense.  A sharp knife is better than a dull knife for safe kitchen work, but cutting something that requires a lot of force (like an apple) is probably best saved for older kids.  I might be fine in a few years with my daughter cutting up, say, bread to make croutons or mushrooms or something relatively soft.  I might look at her when she's four or five and say "not a chance".  Guess a lot depends, but teaching basic knife skills in younger kids is not unheard of.

I bet I'll have a way harder time letting her start stirring things on the stove, though.

• Upvote 1

Pampered Chef used to sell a special knife for children.  It was made for little hands and the bottom blade was zig-zagged and not too sharp.  I bought one for my son to use when he was around Daxton's age.  He loved using his own special knife to cut his own food at the dining room table.  He never used it without supervision and that was the only knife he was allowed to use by himself at that age-he certainly wasn't getting his hands on any Ginsus.   That handy little knife remains in my kitchen drawer to this day.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

On 12/1/2022 at 8:03 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

How old is her son? I think you can start knives carefully around 4 or 5 if you are watchful and your kid listens okay. I might do something softer than apples, though, in case it slips. My daughter isn't 2 yet and she LOVES helping in the kitchen.

In my sixties, I sill worry about cutting myself with a knife when cutting up apples. This is why I use a slicer / corer similar to the OXO one behind spoiler. Pro-tip: I do use a conventional chef's knife to cut the apple along the equator. Then I put the flat side down and use the corer. Works like a charm, even if one doesn't have a lot of hand strength

• Upvote 2

A few months ago I bought an apple slicer - and sliced a knuckle on it the second time I used it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

Pampered Chef used to sell a special knife for children.  It was made for little hands and the bottom blade was zig-zagged and not too sharp.  I bought one for my son to use when he was around Daxton's age.  He loved using his own special knife to cut his own food at the dining room table.  He never used it without supervision and that was the only knife he was allowed to use by himself at that age-he certainly wasn't getting his hands on any Ginsus.   That handy little knife remains in my kitchen drawer to this day.

I have those knives too. They are great for pumpkin carving (easy to hold on to even when your hands get slippery from the pumpkin “guts”). My kids are 16 and 14 and they still use them frequently. 
Also wanted to add - my husband taught our girls to use knives safely at a very young age. ALWAYS supervised. He has always been a big believer that teaching kids to use tools properly at a young age, and educating them (age appropriately) about how they are used and should not be used, will help to minimize the risk of injury. For our kids, that worked very well. But it won’t work for every child - in my mind, a big part of our job as parents is knowing our child and knowing what they are capable of handling. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/4/2022 at 12:36 PM, mama4cor said:

But it won’t work for every child - in my mind, a big part of our job as parents is knowing our child and knowing what they are capable of handling. 

My husband, for example, cannot be trusted to use a knife without injury consistently.  He does a lot of the cooking in our house due to my schedule and still has all 10 fingers, but I distinctly recall him cutting a bagel IN HIS HAND and telling me it was okay because you can't cut yourself with a bread knife.  There was a very long pause after he said that before he admitted he had just sliced open his hand, exactly as I predicted.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My husband, for example, cannot be trusted to use a knife without injury consistently.  He does a lot of the cooking in our house due to my schedule and still has all 10 fingers, but I distinctly recall him cutting a bagel IN HIS HAND and telling me it was okay because you can't cut yourself with a bread knife.  There was a very long pause after he said that before he admitted he had just sliced open his hand, exactly as I predicted.

Is it bad that I laughed at this? Neither one of my sons nor my husband could be trusted with knives. That was one of those things that came under the heading "well, it's a good thing they're cute"

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

If you eat a lot of bagels in your family I recommend this kind of slicer. I’m sure you can still injure yourself with it. But I imagine it’s less likely:

2E4957BF-2D92-461F-890E-FDD79782E7EE.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1