IGNORED

Man (Stories) during Corona

clueliss

On 6/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

Not related to Covid, but I just had to share. This same neighbor called me to say that she heard that the George Floyd killing was not racially motivated, but that the police officer and Floyd were both gay and Floyd had threatened to expose the police officer. I asked her if she was crazy. Sigh. These people walk among us...

To quote Gerry Rafferty: "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you."

I don't know if you ever do any writing, but your neighbor would make an interesting character to add to a  story. :think:

Texas judge: Irate man smacked his hand over facemask appeal

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A prominent Texas official says an irate man smacked his hand when he tried to persuade the man to don a face covering Wednesday.

The man was berating a cashier at a Lowe’s home improvement store for requiring him to wear a mask, when Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff intervened, a Wolff spokeswoman said.

Wolff, who had ordered businesses to require face coverings to slow the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus or face $1,000 fines per violation. He was explaining the order to the man when he turned his ire on Wolff, who phoned Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar so he could hear the exchange.

“It was one-sided, certainly,” Salazar said, adding that the man “was just berating the judge. Language that you wouldn’t want anyone, you certainly wouldn’t want your wife or your children hearing that kind of language in broad daylight, not in a retail establishment. ... He was certainly berating the judge and what he thought of the law.”

Wolff offered the man his business card and asked him to call, Salazar said. The man smacked the card out of Wolff’s hand and left. Wolff followed him outside, got his license plate number and turned it over to Salazar.

“Well, we’ll see what he thinks of the assault charge he’s going to catch,” Salazar said.

When news about San Antonio's mask order hit the local media, some of the people here begin referring to it as the People's Republic of San Antonio.  They also solemnly swore that they would never visit again. :cray-cray:

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

The man was berating a cashier at a Lowe’s home improvement store for requiring him to wear a mask,

Seriously I wish these arseholes would just stay home and order online, or go elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

When news about San Antonio's mask order hit the local media, some of the people here begin referring to it as the People's Republic of San Antonio.  They also solemnly swore that they would never visit again

Follow through here people and stay the hell away.

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I don't know if you ever do any writing, but your neighbor would make an interesting character to add to a  story. :think:

A few years back, I was "seeing" a therapist via chat and email. He told me that I should consider writing professionally. I know I amused him with my written version of my life story. I would love to start writing more.

Anyway, the neighbor I mentioned here is certainly a colorful character. She would make an interesting short story.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GreyhoundFan said:

A few years back, I was "seeing" a therapist via chat and email. He told me that I should consider writing professionally. I know I amused him with my written version of my life story. I would love to start writing more.

I'm on the schedule to be a published legal author this fall when my long paper gets published in the school's IP law journal.  A lot of people have said I'm a good writer, even at law school.  A lot of people come out to say it again whenever my unhinged rantings (aka letters to the editors) get published in the local paper.  If there wasn't a hard limit of 6 letters per calendar year they'd be getting one from my every month on how much of a fucking distaster Fuckmuppet von #BunkerBitch is as well as his groupies in Congress.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Anyway, the neighbor I mentioned here is certainly a colorful character. She would make an interesting short story.

I used to write(nothing published, just for fun), but haven’t done much of it lately.  I should get back into it.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I've found that when the world gets too crazy for me, being able to escape into a world of my own creation helps tremendously.

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I'm on the schedule to be a published legal author this fall when my long paper gets published in the school's IP law journal.  A lot of people have said I'm a good writer, even at law school.

Congratulations! :banana-dance:

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I used to write(nothing published, just for fun), but haven’t done much of it lately.  I should get back into it.

You should! :pb_smile:

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I've found that when the world gets too crazy for me, being able to escape into a world of my own creation helps tremendously.

You should! :pb_smile:

Yes! It's nice to go somewhere else sometimes, even if it's in my own head. 

Do we have a place for people who write, around here? Other than the NaNo thing, I mean. I have a short story (more a scene, really) that I think is decent but might suck, that I'd like some opinions on but I'm not sure where to share it.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Yes! It's nice to go somewhere else sometimes, even if it's in my own head. 

Do we have a place for people who write, around here? Other than the NaNo thing, I mean. I have a short story (more a scene, really) that I think is decent but might suck, that I'd like some opinions on but I'm not sure where to share it.

If we don't we totally should.  I'd love that.  

• I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If we don't we totally should.  I'd love that.  

It looks like there is a writer's club, I think?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

It looks like there is a writer's club, I think?

So there is, and I'm in it.  I really should pay more attention to things.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

I've got problems, but thankfully suing someone because I can't stop compulsively masturbating isn't one of them:

As for that last issue, you should have watched The Golden Girls:

Spoiler

Edited by Cartmann99
I no write good.
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

No problem. We'll just douse you with Lysol, then make you drink bleach like your fearless leader.

• Upvote 2

Another day, another Karen

https://www.aol.com/people-raised-36k-starbucks-barista-161127536.html

A woman angrily posted on Facebook after a Starbucks barista insisted she had to wear a face mask to enter the coffeeshop. It didn't go as planned.

Long story short, the woman — now, of course, dubbed a "Karen" by the internet — inspired folks to raised more than $36,000 for the young barista named Lenin Gutierrez, who was trying to do his job safely.

The original post from the woman, who goes by Amber Lynn Gilles on Facebook, threatened to call the cops the next time she went to the Starbucks in San Diego.

"Meet lenen [sic] from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask," the post read. "Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption."

People weren't pleased that Giles went out of her way to insult the barista doing what's required of him and lots of commenters called her out for bad behavior. (And, not for nothing, masks are an incredibly effective tool in fighting the spread of coronavirus despite protestations from a subset of the population.)

So, a man named Matt Cowan started a virtual tip jar for the barista on GoFundMe for Gutierrez. Cowan, who has said he doesn't know the Starbucks employee, wrote on the fundraiser page it was "raising money for Gutierrez for his honorable effort standing his ground when faced with a Karen in the wild."

As of this writing, it has racked up nearly $36,500 in donations.

“Everybody is rallying around somebody for doing what they’re supposed to do and trying to protect everyone else,” Cowan told local news station KGTV. “It just goes to show you there are a lot of good people out there and that outweighs the bad.”

Gutierrez, meanwhile, posted a video thanking everyone for their support and sharing his side of the story.

He said Gilles walked in without a mask and he asked her if she had a mask. When he tried to show her a paper with Starbucks' mask requirement, Gutierrez said, she started "cursing up a storm" and later called everyone wearing masks "sheep." She later photographed Gutierrez, asked for his name, and said she intended to call corporate.

"I thought that was going to be the end of it," Gutierrez said in his video. "I didn't know it was going to come to this."

Gilles, for her part, has commented repeatedly on Facebook that she's not backing down from her anti-mask stance.

"Masks are stupid and so are the people wearing them," she wrote in one post.

Mashable has reached out to both Gilles and Gutierrez and will update the post if necessary.

Gutierrez is far from the only service industry worker who has had to deal with angry customers over mask requirements. It's often left to these workers — many of whom are low-wage and effectively forced back into working — to enforce the rules and put themselves in harm's way.

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Was this before or after she threw a giant hissy fit in the cereal aisle because her mommy wouldn't buy her any Lucky Charms?

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, JMarie said:

My turn now.

MAGA hats are stupid and so are the people wearing them. See, I can do that too.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I've been stewing over this for the past week, and I think this is the place to share it.  One of my kids works for Walmart, mostly as a cashier and sometimes out on the floor.  Our store has gone from being open 24 hrs a day to 7 am to 8:30 pm.  As a result, some employees have been laid off, many others have reduced hours.  We have several large grocery stores in the area doing the same thing. 

At the beginning of each shift, DD has to report to the back door, get her temperature checked, and is then given a mask, which she must wear all shift.  She eats her lunch in her car so she can take off her mask to eat and not worry about getting or passing on the virus in the lunchroom.  She hasn't missed a day since the pandemic started.   

At first, customers were just glad to have a place to shop and wore masks.  But in the last month, even though everyone is supposed to wear a mask in the store, more and more people have decided against it, and Walmart isn't enforcing the rules because it doesn't want to lose customers.  The smaller stores and the Mom and Pop stores stopped insisting on customers wearing masks first, and the larger stores soon followed.  Social distancing is a recommendation, not required.

DD's heard snarky remarks from customers about the reduced store hours.  Whining about how annoying masks are, and threats to take their business elsewhere.  People getting pissed if their preferred brand of something wasn't available, and complaints about having limits on some things in order to allow more people to buy popular items.  

More and more, people are taking out their frustrations on those who are working their asses off to keep them supplied with the necessities.  She had one man get uncomfortably close to complain about the masks.  He wasn't wearing one, and he didn't like the employees wearing them.  But last week she had clocked out and was on her way to the back to get her purse when a woman stopped her and said "You forgot something.  Your smile."  DD was taken aback and muttered, "I'm off work.  I'm just trying to go home."  The woman read her name tag and was saying something about how she was going to turn her in for a bad attitude, but DD just walked off.

I'm pissed.  I'm incensed.  I'm furious.  People are taking out their frustrations on essential workers because things aren't as comfortable for them as they'd like.  They don't want to be inconvenienced.  No one does.  But is it that difficult to think about how a global pandemic is affecting things?  How easily it spreads, and how there aren't enough hospital beds, medical workers, medications and ventilators to treat everyone if we all get sick once?  I guess so.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 2

JFC! I am so pissed at the whole "you are young and female so you are responsible for smiling all the time so I feel better" thing. Not to mention everything else you wrote about.

35 minutes ago, Flossie said:

I'm pissed.  I'm incensed.  I'm furious.  People are taking out their frustrations on essential workers because things aren't as comfortable for them as they'd like.  They don't want to be inconvenienced.  No one does.  But is it that difficult to think about how a global pandemic is affecting things?  How easily it spreads, and how there aren't enough hospital beds, medical workers, medications and ventilators to treat everyone if we all get sick once?  I guess so.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

JFC! I am so pissed at the whole "you are young and female so you are responsible for smiling all the time so I feel better" thing. Not to mention everything else you wrote about.

Agreed - although I'd be drawing a smile on my mask and then scowling under it.

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Flossie said:

I've been stewing over this for the past week, and I think this is the place to share it.  One of my kids works for Walmart, mostly as a cashier and sometimes out on the floor.  Our store has gone from being open 24 hrs a day to 7 am to 8:30 pm.  As a result, some employees have been laid off, many others have reduced hours.  We have several large grocery stores in the area doing the same thing. 

At the beginning of each shift, DD has to report to the back door, get her temperature checked, and is then given a mask, which she must wear all shift.  She eats her lunch in her car so she can take off her mask to eat and not worry about getting or passing on the virus in the lunchroom.  She hasn't missed a day since the pandemic started.   

At first, customers were just glad to have a place to shop and wore masks.  But in the last month, even though everyone is supposed to wear a mask in the store, more and more people have decided against it, and Walmart isn't enforcing the rules because it doesn't want to lose customers.  The smaller stores and the Mom and Pop stores stopped insisting on customers wearing masks first, and the larger stores soon followed.  Social distancing is a recommendation, not required.

DD's heard snarky remarks from customers about the reduced store hours.  Whining about how annoying masks are, and threats to take their business elsewhere.  People getting pissed if their preferred brand of something wasn't available, and complaints about having limits on some things in order to allow more people to buy popular items.  

More and more, people are taking out their frustrations on those who are working their asses off to keep them supplied with the necessities.  She had one man get uncomfortably close to complain about the masks.  He wasn't wearing one, and he didn't like the employees wearing them.  But last week she had clocked out and was on her way to the back to get her purse when a woman stopped her and said "You forgot something.  Your smile."  DD was taken aback and muttered, "I'm off work.  I'm just trying to go home."  The woman read her name tag and was saying something about how she was going to turn her in for a bad attitude, but DD just walked off.

If you wear a mask, you can mouth curse words to others as much as you like, and the other person will never know.  

You can also sing along to the Muzak and not look like a weirdo, but that's another situation altogether.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

Karen who claims to have a breathing disorder screams at everyone around her:

• Sad 1
  • WTF 3

Protesting Pastor in Maryland tests positive.  

(and since I’m in a mood today, does this mean God really did want you to stay home?)

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, Flossie said:

But last week she had clocked out and was on her way to the back to get her purse when a woman stopped her and said "You forgot something.  Your smile."

She criticized someone wearing a mask for not smiling? How could she even tell?

Pandemic or not, it's obnoxious and stupid when people say this.

I've worked retail, including in supermarkets. It is smart (for one's own sake, as well as for the store) to smile when directly addressing customers, but even then it's not as important as doing the job well.

But walking through the store, on shift or not, why would someone have to smile? If a store employee walked past me not smiling, I don't think I would even notice, because it's none of my business. If pressed for my opinion, I'd assume they were concentrating on what they were doing and where they were headed, which is a good thing.

As for bad pandemic behavior - I don't understand how people are not recognizing that this is an open-ended situation. It's going to last as long as it lasts, and that means precautions and shortages and inconveniences.

People are dying, losing jobs and working in dangerous situations. And the fuckers who don't want to be bothered with a mask or keeping their distance (or just staying home) because they're bored, or think a naked face is some sort of noble cry for freedom, are really on my last nerve. Taking it out on retail employees is especially shitty.

I don't know if your daughter can do this, but I had co-workers in the supermarket who would take off their name tag as soon as they stepped away from the register. We didn't have store shirts, and aprons and vests can come off and be rolled up to carry, too. Sometimes becoming anonymous when not on shift can remove some of the stress.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic