IGNORED

Chez Botkin back on the market

Deleted12

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rumor is they went back to Texas.

I actually like the knotty pine in some of the rooms, but the carpets upstairs* are all janky and the bedroom paint schemes look dreadful. I would have loved to see their rooms when they had them decorated.

It looks like the "front" of the house is the south side. Two small windows around the front door and two (?) small windows and a garage on the "left" side= very dark interior. Who doesn't have a window in the kitchen? It looks like a lot of the upstairs rooms would be dark too, since I don't think there are dormers. Actually, it looks like only the master suite could be upstairs, since there are windows in the bedrooms, but no windows visible upstairs. Maybe the ceilings are vaulted along most of the house?

Dig the "northwoods" shower curtain. Who has an exposed water heater in the bathroom? Put a door or a curtain on there, peeps.

Let's see: six bedrooms means a bedroom for Geoff and Victoria, and five bedrooms left over. If they had a guest bedroom, then I am guessing that AS & E shared a room and L&N shared a room, then the older boys were in one or two rooms?

I wish we had the original pictures cached! :(

All of this really highlights the fact that even though they have blogs, they share almost nothing personal with us.

ETA: the Realtor.com listing says it's a one story. I think only the master bedroom is upstairs, so the windows in the bedrooms all face north.

If they are moving down by ol'Doug, they are not going to find a 6 bedroom in San Antonio or Texas Hill Country for $325K. I considered moving there a few years ago(before I knew Doug was there) and looking around hill country was very expensive. I would assume they would want there since its ruralish and that is what they are used to. I haven't looked in a while, but I was looking for a minimum 1 acre and 3 bedrooms and everything was at least 100K more than my current house.

If they are moving down by ol'Doug, they are not going to find a 6 bedroom in San Antonio or Texas Hill Country for $325K. I considered moving there a few years ago(before I knew Doug was there) and looking around hill country was very expensive. I would assume they would want there since its ruralish and that is what they are used to. I haven't looked in a while, but I was looking for a minimum 1 acre and 3 bedrooms and everything was at least 100K more than my current house.

I dunno that they need a 6-bedroom any more.

Isaac, Lucas, Noah, AS, and E are the only ones left at home. I think a four bedroom would do.

Well, they've landed somewhere!

Posted anew on WesternConservatory.com, the latest swag: "Navigating History: Egypt Curriculum." A mere 60 bucks for the curriculum package. The jist of the message seems to be, "God hates statism," and "culture is never neutral." With soundtrack by Benjamin Botkin, of course.

How old is PaBot and what's his middle initial? Geoff R Botkin, aged 57, is showing up in Rileyville VA on white pages.

ETA-Relatives are shown to be Josiah, John and Victoria so I'm pretty sure it's him. I don't know if the listing is up to date though. Do the Chancey's still live in Rileyville too?

How old is PaBot and what's his middle initial? Geoff R Botkin, aged 57, is showing up in Rileyville VA on white pages.

ETA-Relatives are shown to be Josiah, John and Victoria so I'm pretty sure it's him. I don't know if the listing is up to date though. Do the Chancey's still live in Rileyville too?

I thought the Chanceys moved to Africa.

I know that teh Botkins lived in Virginia a long time ago, but that was before they went to New Zealand.

Do the Botkins attend a regular church or do they home church? If they're really in the middle of nowhere what are their options for finding a Geoff-approved church?

Is there anyone here who lives in that part of the country and can illuminate day to day life there?

Not sure what they do for a church, but I have a feeling that Geoff's first criterion for a church is "must involve me at a senior level". That being the case, outside of visits to Dougie's Beorne Christian Assembly when they're in the area you'd imagine that the Botkins home church.

shiza. When I see houses like this, I die a little bit on the inside. Where I live, tear-downs sell for a million dollars. There is absolutely no chance in hell that I will ever, ever be able to afford buy even a postage stamp sized apartment in my city. We rent a shack, (really not exagerating much at all) and it's expensive. 20 acres and six bedrooms for 325. INSANE in my real estate reality.

I should probably move somewhere more affordable, but all my family and friends life here...I think I'd rather rent and be close to those I love, than own and be far away. I think. I see stuff like this though, it really makes me reconsider. Maybe when ya'll get your health insurance thing figured out, my Canadian coverage is just too great to leave behind.

shiza. When I see houses like this, I die a little bit on the inside. Where I live, tear-downs sell for a million dollars. There is absolutely no chance in hell that I will ever, ever be able to afford buy even a postage stamp sized apartment in my city. We rent a shack, (really not exagerating much at all) and it's expensive. 20 acres and six bedrooms for 325. INSANE in my real estate reality.

I should probably move somewhere more affordable, but all my family and friends life here...I think I'd rather rent and be close to those I love, than own and be far away. I think. I see stuff like this though, it really makes me reconsider. Maybe when ya'll get your health insurance thing figured out, my Canadian coverage is just too great to leave behind.

I think that house is suspiciously cheap.

Maybe because you'd have to hire an exorcist before it would be habitable.

Not sure what they do for a church, but I have a feeling that Geoff's first criterion for a church is "must involve me at a senior level". That being the case, outside of visits to Dougie's Beorne Christian Assembly when they're in the area you'd imagine that the Botkins home church.

And right you are!

I'm sure I read something in the past year about Geoff's recent founded the church they attend (attended?) in TN--of course right now I can't seem to figure out where I read that.

Dig the "northwoods" shower curtain.

I notice that too. The thought of such a distinguished conservator of western culture having such a daggy bathroom made me laugh. I know the whole Botkin image is smoke and mirrors, but if you can manage a lab coat for your fake doctor act, you can manage decent shower curtain, dude.

Edited for a riffle.

Guess I'm in the minority, but that shower curtain was about the only thing that made that house attractive, JMHO. Well, the high-end appliances, too.

Recall that the property is on the banks of one of the Tennessee rivers that flooded disastrously this spring. Possible water damage?

WRT the Botkins' church: Maybe we should do some kind of Fahrenheit 457 thing where certain of us make and keep handy reference files on our fave dominionists -- the kind of thing that permits us to cross-check our memories.

I have one by default, right now, on the Maxwell movement to Kansas which includes Steve's employment history, for example.

Whether or not that comes to fruition, I just had a funny thought vis-a-vis the Botkins living arrangements and his appearance in a lab coat or whatever suits the purpose: It's Geoff booming at his starry-eyed followers: Pay no attention to the man behind the (shower) curtain!!!

I read AS's article - just full of tidbits of info:

"We didn't do this because we believed we had a biblical duty to submit to Isaac, or to be his junior helpmeets"

is someone feeling all sorts of defensive?

"if Isaac was going to stand inside a mosque and call Muhammed a false prophet, and denounce Statism in front of the giant pillars at Karnak,"

well I would not blame a muslim from going all jihad on Isaac if he was so full of hubris as to stand in a mosque and denounce Muhammed

"We learned that sisterly duties don't have to be limited to domestic things, far removed from what the boys are doing. We discovered how much fun it is to be part of a man's world, even if it means taking the plunge into finding world politics as fascinating as they do."

sounds suspiciously like a feminist thought to me

I get the sense that she is really chafing against the restraints of patriarchy or perhaps she reads here and is trying to answer criticisms.

edited for a riffle

"if Isaac was going to stand inside a mosque and call Muhammed a false prophet, and denounce Statism in front of the giant pillars at Karnak,"

I think at the next Botkin wedding, I'm going to crash it and give my own little sermon about the shirk (idolatry) and the evils of the patriarchy. Anyone care to join me?

"We learned that sisterly duties don't have to be limited to domestic things, far removed from what the boys are doing. We discovered how much fun it is to be part of a man's world, even if it means taking the plunge into finding world politics as fascinating as they do."

And here in lies the problem. The world is not divided into a man's world and a woman's world, and the sooner men realize this, the sooner women can step up and fix all the problems men have made. After all, we've been cleaning up after them at home for millennia, let's clean up the mess they've made of the political and economic spheres too.

The best part is the utter lack of irony as they "compare notes on Islam's view of women" while the man messes around with a laptop and the woman cooks the food.

To say nothing of the doth-protest-too-much assurances that she doesn't mind at all that her brother got to ponce off to Egypt and pretend to be Harrison Ford while she was graciously allowed to learn HTML.

I think at the next Botkin wedding, I'm going to crash it and give my own little sermon about the shirk (idolatry) and the evils of the patriarchy. Anyone care to join me?

And here in lies the problem. The world is not divided into a man's world and a woman's world, and the sooner men realize this, the sooner women can step up and fix all the problems men have made. After all, we've been cleaning up after them at home for millennia, let's clean up the mess they've made of the political and economic spheres too.

I would love to! Got some things to say too... :evil:

I didn't realize AS's blog existed. I was always checking the Visionary Daughters blog for updates on these people. The stuff about sisterly duties and how much fun it was to be part of a man's world - sounds a little defensive to me. Like she's excusing their participation in this project because they just had to support their brother. I guess a woman is allowed to use her brains and skills for something other than home-keeping as long as she's still doing it out of a sense of duty and not just for herself.

Okay - I got off my behind and did a little research. Here's what I found:

1. Per Hickman Co. (TN), the property was purchased by a Danielle Taylor in 2004 for $172,000. That's the highest sale price it's ever had, btw. Prior sales of this home were reported as being significantly lower. I don't know the area, so I don't know if that is a normal price or not.

2. The current tax assessment value is $268,300. I wonder if properties there sell at assessment or if the market is really good and they go high. I haven't seen properties going $50,000+ over tax value in most places since about 2007, but maybe central TN has a stronger market than DC.

maybe they are leaving all the fancy appliances/washer dryer...maybe they totally renovated the barn? hmmm....but I guess that makes no sense if they were renting.

Archived