IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

50 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

I started dying my own hair after I asked a hairdresser for a "slight copper tint" in my mousy (with some natural red in there if I go lighter) and ended up with bright "orange prison suit"

To get rid of that they bleached it blonde Twice and then put some light brown it and told me to be really careful with shampoo and hairdryers or else it could fall out...

Anyways after some years i found a copper that actually looks natural - people don't think it's dyed.

It looks really dark first but after a couple of washes it looks like this:

(though the new version looks a bit darker, still good but I'm itching to try something else again; a girl in school had that beautiful dark red with a tinge of neon pink - but that's not available anymore as well... Open to suggestions!)

Screenshot_20200229_203359_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200229_203852_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

That colour looks gorgeous! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

I didn’t use Halsa but I loved Timotei and Salon Selectives.

There was another one too but I can’t remember the brand. Something about Japanese silk in the ad, I think.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

I started dying my own hair after I asked a hairdresser for a "slight copper tint" in my mousy (with some natural red in there if I go lighter) and ended up with bright "orange prison suit"

To get rid of that they bleached it blonde Twice and then put some light brown it and told me to be really careful with shampoo and hairdryers or else it could fall out...

Anyways after some years i found a copper that actually looks natural - people don't think it's dyed.

It looks really dark first but after a couple of washes it looks like this:

(though the new version looks a bit darker, still good but I'm itching to try something else again; a girl in school had that beautiful dark red with a tinge of neon pink - but that's not available anymore as well... Open to suggestions!)

Screenshot_20200229_203359_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200229_203852_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I would love that color! It looks gorgeous!

5 hours ago, adidas said:

I didn’t use Halsa but I loved Timotei and Salon Selectives.

There was another one too but I can’t remember the brand. Something about Japanese silk in the ad, I think.

That sounds familiar!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Here's what I use and love to cover greys and otherwise brighten the brown with red tints. Have used it for about five or six years. I know Whole Foods carries it, tho Amazon delivered a case of six to my house.

Screenshot_20200229-171726.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That sounds familiar!

It’s bothering me that I can’t remember the name of it!

Did the ad have a waterfall in it? Or did it mention something about kelp?

I think it had a short name, maybe starting with S ?

(watch me be totally wrong - it probably has a long name starting with K ?)

I’m trying to search online to figure out what it was. It is totally irrelevant and insignificant, but I’m so annoyed that I can’t remember the name ?

I think it had an opaque white bottle with a dark green lid. Flip top in a sphere shape.

It is not:

Revlon aquamarine (I loved that stuff)

Decore

Flex (my first boyfriend used it, I still remember the smell)

Suave

Pert

Finesse

Gosh this is so annoying. 

• Haha 2

On 2/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, libgirl2 said:

I've tried every brand out there. I even ordered a "natural" color on the Internet. Mine seems to be color related. 

Maybe I could try that brand. I would probably just do a light, light red and nothing darker. I can live with some swelling and itching but not the blisters. Maybe I need to try a "swankier" brand? 

Edit sorry ignore I see this is already covered!Have you tried natural henna_lush sell a good one which gives a pre raphealite red(lovely colour but unfortunately I'm allergic to henna so had to go back to normal dyes once it grew out)

Edited by byzant
Duplicate
  • I Agree 1

I have always used Suave hair products.  I currently use the Rosemary Mint shampoo and conditioner.  I also use Suave Max Hold hairspray and gel.  Their products are cheap and just work for me.

• Upvote 1

@adidas, could it be the old Herbal Essense?  I wish I could get more of the Revlon Aquamarine, it was a major favorite for a long time.  

• I Agree 1

I'm loving this hair color drift! More hair photos please! I've been every color (black makes me look like a Halloween witch) and have done box dye, henna and salons.

I'd say be really careful with henna, especially if you've dyed your hair before. Colorists always ask if and when you've used henna as it can cause reactions and prevent the chemical dye from doing its job. I never had great results with henna and found the process to be messy and take forever. I think if your hair is natural, in pretty good condition and you don't want a dramatic change then it can be nice. Get a friend to help though and have a lot of old towels ready. 

I'm naturally a nice dark brown but my all time favourite colors were a natural auburn-y red (below) and a golden blonde - that took forever with foils and the regrowth made it too expensive to maintain. 

Spoiler

20-03-01-14-42-10-199_deco.jpg.6ce590cafd519be4b68c624f19ece3a4.jpg

I went for some lowlights and a tint a couple years ago and hated how it turned out. She did a great job but it just looked so light and yellow to me. It's now longer and back to a nice dark brown! 

Spoiler

IMG_20180509_133557.thumb.jpg.afeaf12133dddcc7dd65926e3459a8cc.jpg

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

This is the John Frieda medium blonde on my mousy/fair/grey hair. I put the colour on before I go for cut and style at the salon.

DDBBFF62-C18A-49B3-9C6B-C6DB34E5A1D7.jpeg

• Upvote 11
  • Love 6

My favorite 80's shampoo and conditioner was Vidal Sassoon. That smelled so damn good. That, and Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific. I get my hair dyed at the salon because it just dyes terribly brassy, and they need to really add extra cool tones or whatever to make it not look orange-y. I get an itchy scalp too- have always had sensitive skin. No blisters though. I melt down so coconut oil and massage it into my scalp and then wash it out that evening. Helps a lot.

• Upvote 2

BIG PSA with henna. I have seen hair literally smoke due to a client not being upfront about using it in their hair and then trying to color over it. The metallic additives can seriously react with hair color in some major ways. 

• WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

I’ve done henna for years, over my was-strawberry-blonde-but-is-getting-duller hair. It’s imperative to use henna that is of the quality you’d use on skin or else you can get weird reactions with other dyes and products. Pure powdered henna (with no metallic salt additives) and an appropriate acid, only. Skip the kits in the stores. I like hennaforhair dot com. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:28 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Love's Baby Soft is now on a loop in my head.  Still one of my favorite scents in the world.

One of my favorites too.

Regarding Halsa my dad used to work for the company that made it. There may or may  not be some bottles still lurking in my parent's home.

Original Herbal Essence- I would love to find that somewhere again.  I loved the smell and it always reminds me of summers "Up North" in Wisconsin. 

• Upvote 4

I'm a big fan of Ion, a brand that Sally's carries. I do use only the level 10 developer but it does not fry my hair like many other brands. I've found it very forgiving and even played with some un-natural colors for my vacation  without any damage to my hair. I use the pre-color treatment and the after color treatment and sometimes even the in-color treatment. All little cost add-ons but still much less than having my hair professionally colored and I like the results better.

I did use henna in the past but was trying for blonde and didn't really get what I was going for, but used the Rainbow Henna- https://www.rainbowresearch.com/henna-hair-color/ . It didn't seem to harm my hair. 

I love all these hair colors. IN addition to red hair, I would love to do some kind of light purple or green. yes, I'm old but I still think it would be fun. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

My favorite perfume as a teenager was Avon's Sweet Honesty.  I loved that stuff.  My mother used to get it for me for my birthday.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I used LUSH's henna.  I have very dark brown hair--almost black, with quite a few greys now.  At their advice, I used marron (I think??) and while it was a pain, I just gave up 1/2 a day to doing it & it came out really well.  Lasted quite a while & then faded out, so no regrowth---although it was meant to be permanent.  That was OK by me.

I had no other processing in my hair, before or after, so maybe that was safe??  But scary advice above!  

• Upvote 1

image.png.33f16936d2ca29dbde1be4dc5bb04c2a.png

@squiddysquid This pic right here could totally be of my hair head!  Holy hair twins!  I only recently went the box route because the salon became insanely expensive as far as keeping up my blonde.  So I took the leap and went strawberry blonde and will probably never go back.  I am up for a roots job soon so I will post a pic of my hair and box product when I am done.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, pook said:

image.png.33f16936d2ca29dbde1be4dc5bb04c2a.png

@squiddysquid This pic right here could totally be of my hair head!  Holy hair twins!  I only recently went the box route because the salon became insanely expensive as far as keeping up my blonde.  So I took the leap and went strawberry blonde and will probably never go back.  I am up for a roots job soon so I will post a pic of my hair and box product when I am done.

Gorgeous color.

• I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Oh hey, I was just thinking about dying my hair! I was thinking of grabbing Overtone's new line for brown hair, either in "rose gold" for a more coppery tint, or a warm black. What do y'all think? I asked my SO and he was predictably useless when it came to fashion advice.

Pic of my natural hair below with a Duggar-approved mustard blouse. 

Spoiler

20200303_094241.thumb.jpg.3202bbec49848eeaffa6932ff88fb349.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

As everyone here’s posting hair pics, I gotta follow suit. This is a very cropped photo (my apologies) of my natural hair color, dark brown. I’ve gone black some years ago and contemplated choosing a crazy color  like green but at the moment, I want to keep my hair the way it is. 

Spoiler

4BBB5621-734D-44FF-811F-12C056DCC9EC.jpeg

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I'm jealous of all y'alls beautiful hair. I'm VERY gray probably 50% but my natural hair was dark brown, mousy ugly dark brown, it is in the wiry salt and pepper ick stage right now, so I'm in the process of going blonde. My hair grows so fast that I was needing to do my roots every 3 weeks with my dark hair and I don't have the time or money for that, even doing it at home. Since July I've been having my hair lightened about 4 shades so it is a light brown now, I really miss my dark hair, but this is so much easier to maintain I can do my roots every 6 to 7 weeks. I'm going to go have it lightened another shade or two at some point this spring. 

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic