IGNORED

Josiah & Lauren 17: Proud parents to Lauren's hat...and Bella

HerNameIsBuffy

17 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

When the show ends, I see JD (and Abbie), Josiah, Austin, Derick, and Jeremy having a lot of problems finding steady jobs.  They have marketable skills.  The others, I'm not so sure about.  It's going to be a rude awakening.

Abby shouldn’t have any trouble finding a job unless JD is a jerk about it. And tbh I see him being kind of a dick about her working and the family going along with it. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

What skills does Josiah have? He sells junkers like half his brothers.

He is a pilot.  So are JD and Austin.

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Haha 17

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

Abby shouldn’t have any trouble finding a job unless JD is a jerk about it. And tbh I see him being kind of a dick about her working and the family going along with it. 

I think it could go either way.  It depends on what their finances are like and and if they want to continue living the life they are accustomed to.

19 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

When the show ends, I see JD (and Abbie), Josiah, Austin, Derick, and Jeremy having a lot of problems finding steady jobs.  They have marketable skills.  The others, I'm not so sure about.  It's going to be a rude awakening.

Quoting myself to make a correction.  I meant to say JD, Josiah, Austin, Derick, and Jeremy probably won't have a problem finding steady jobs.  I need to proofread before clicking on submit.

• Upvote 4

Do they make any money from being pilots? I always assumed it was an expensive hobby financed by money from the show.

The problem with the Duggar children (as opposed to the in-laws) is they don’t want to work for anyone else- which is fair enough- but they also don’t appear to want to put in the training to establish themselves in a trade or profession beyond applying for a real estate licence. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

JD and Abbie will always be OK financially as long as Abbie is well.  She's said she will do the minimum to keep her licencing so they will always have the fallback of her nursing. 

Medical is one of the few fields you will always be able to find work in if you have the right qualifications, no matter what the rest of economy is doing.

Likewise Michaela and Brandon Bates, even if his ILP job fails, her nursing degree (when she finishes it) will always be a financial fall back.

Right now those two couples are in the best financial position for the future economic downturn, ironically because they have educated women with high demand jobs.

• Upvote 19

The Duggars meanwhile will fall back on their tried & trusted way of generating income- babies & courtships. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, imokit said:

JD and Abbie will always be OK financially as long as Abbie is well.  She's said she will do the minimum to keep her licencing so they will always have the fallback of her nursing. 

Medical is one of the few fields you will always be able to find work in if you have the right qualifications, no matter what the rest of economy is doing.

Likewise Michaela and Brandon Bates, even if his ILP job fails, her nursing degree (when she finishes it) will always be a financial fall back.

Right now those two couples are in the best financial position for the future economic downturn, ironically because they have educated women with high demand jobs.

The Forsyth's will be fine as well. Austin for all the other BS, can build homes, remodel homes, drive heavy equipment AND he has a work ethic, that will keep him working in some capacity or another & Joy has proven she isn't afraid of getting dirty an going to work. 

An LPN's salary will have a hard time supporting a family of more than 3, the median income for LPN's is around $44k. BUT if JD has job making at least $30k a year they can get buy nicely living where they do, but only if they keep the kids to a minimum, like only 3 or 4 kids.  They really won't have to pay for daycare with all the family around, or only pay a minimal amount because of that, and that right there is a HUGE factor in being able to support your family on a smaller salary. 

• Upvote 15

6 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Do they make any money from being pilots? I always assumed it was an expensive hobby financed by money from the show.

I don't think they make money being pilots, at this point I think it's just for their personal use. 

That being said, JD is going to have a hell of a time making any money flying without a college degree. Unless of course he can manage to find a rich corporate pilot job for someone within their circle. Airlines don't care what kind of degree you have, just as long as you have one....it could be in basket weaving. Not to mention all the additional hours and certifications you need. Until you've got some major seniority you make peanuts as an airline pilot.

My dad, brother, and husband are all pilots. My dad & husband both private pilots (although my dad does own a commercial air business), while my brother flies professionally. He started in the airlines and migrated to flying corporate.  In the old days once you had seniority you were making very good money, but these days it takes so long and everyone is saddled with so much debt from getting their hours/ratings. FWIW my husband has a degree in aeronautical science but decided not to fly as a career because he would have taken a GIANT paycut from what he was already making. 

• Upvote 17

6 hours ago, imokit said:

Without up to date field experience, medical personal are no more employable than most other professions. Maintaining a current license is just the first, tiny step.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

And once they start having 6 plus children, it's a whole different ball game. Even in low cost of living areas, a large family is still expensive. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I do wonder, how long the money will last. Once we get to the point where most of the families of Counting On have at least 3 children, how much will be left to go around? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:44 AM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I do wonder, how long the money will last. Once we get to the point where most of the families of Counting On have at least 3 children, how much will be left to go around? 

JB is a financially sneaky and probably has lots of money invested in properties, shady trust fonds and who knows. So as long as the adult kiddos tow the line, daddy will be able to provide for them. Maybe not forever, but a very long time. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

21 minutes ago, xenobia said:

JB is a financially sneaky and probably has lots of money invested in properties, shady trust fonds and who knows. So as long as the adult kiddos tow the line, daddy will be able to provide for them. Maybe not forever, but a very long time. 

This always makes me wonder if they kids expect to do the same for their own children. 

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, xenobia said:

I think you're giving Boob too much credit.  While I do think he has stuff stashed away, he's supporting damn near 40 people with what he has.  He's definitely had success, but that is more about him exploiting opportunities as they happen vs. having a real strategy.  He doesn't know how to play a long game when it comes to building wealth and influence, and his need for control has handicapped the entire family.

It will be a completely different ballgame once the show ends. I think he's finally realized their way of life isn't sustainable...now he has his daughters hustling on social media and Jed! and JD trying to get some outside the core family businesses.  None of whom are doing all that well at it because Boob was their 'business teacher'.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

52 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I think you're giving Boob too much credit.  While I do think he has stuff stashed away, he's supporting damn near 40 people with what he has.  He's definitely had success, but that is more about him exploiting opportunities as they happen vs. having a real strategy.  He doesn't know how to play a long game when it comes to building wealth and influence, and his need for control has handicapped the entire family.

It will be a completely different ballgame once the show ends. I think he's finally realized their way of life isn't sustainable...now he has his daughters hustling on social media and Jed! and JD trying to get some outside the core family businesses.  None of whom are doing all that well at it because Boob was their 'business teacher'.

It would be interesting to know how many of them that are actually supported by JB. All of the unmarried kids, regardless of age - no doubt. That's 11 kids + JB&M = 13. 

He no doubt supports Josh and Jessas families. That's another 4 adults and 9 kids. 

I guess he's the main supplier for Joe&Kendra, Si&Lauren and Jinger&Jeremy.

Those who probably manage okay on their own: Austin&Joy. 

Not a penny to: The Dillards.

• Upvote 10

Jinger & Jeremy could easily manage on their own. If they would be willing to let go of Jeremy's dreams and their LA lifestyle.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

51 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Jinger & Jeremy could easily manage on their own. If they would be willing to let go of Jeremy's dreams and their LA lifestyle.

Take away Jeremy’s dreams & the LA lifestyle & what else do they have? 
Jeremy goes back to being the pastor of a tiny church & Jinger raises their children & bakes. Other than shilling stuff online & amateur photography they’ve displayed no other marketable skills & without the Duggar brand/show I don’t see what interest they could sustain among all the other wannabe Z listers.

• Upvote 16

Jeremy has a degree in Business Administration. I'm not exactly sure what it covers, but it sounds like something that could support a small family in a cheap area. Not very glamorous, but they could probably manage. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

37 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Jeremy has a degree in Business Administration. I'm not exactly sure what it covers, but it sounds like something that could support a small family in a cheap area. Not very glamorous, but they could probably manage. 

This is what I meant indeed. With Jeremy's dreams I also mean his dream to become a pastor. He has the right degree and just enough brains to have a middle class income in a local company. But that is not special enough of course.

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

This is what I meant indeed. With Jeremy's dreams I also mean his dream to become a pastor. He has the right degree and just enough brains to have a middle class income in a local company. But that is not special enough of course.

Jeremy could also get teaching certification and be a teacher & soccer coach. A former professional soccer player would be quite a catch for most schools. I think a Christian school would consider him quite a prize.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Jeremy could also get teaching certification and be a teacher & soccer coach. A former professional soccer player would be quite a catch for most schools. I think a Christian school would consider him quite a prize.

He could do any of those things- but I doubt he will. He’s had a taste of celebrity and he clearly enjoys it. He likes a life where people give him stuff for free and he gets to rub shoulders with other ‘celebrities’ ( remember his officiating at the wedding of the singer- can’t remember his name?).

i don’t think he hooked up with a Duggar so he could do a regular job! 

Edited by Idlewild
Typo
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7

I still say it's only a matter of time before we start seeing the kidults competing on other network reality shows.  The gravy train is going to run out sooner or later.   Frankly, I'm surprised JB didn't key into that aspect sooner.  What better way to keep the Duggar brand alive in TV Land?   I totally could picture Jinger or Jeremy on "Dancing With The Stars"  or Jessa on "Worse Cooks:  Celebrity Edition".  

Jed/Jer on "The Bachelor", Joy or Kendra on "Wife Swap",  Josh and Anna (following in Cousin Amy's footsteps) on "Marriage Boot Camp, Celebrity Edition"... the possibilities are endless.  Too bad Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice" still wasn't on, because we would probably see  JB himself!     

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Haha 11

20 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I totally could picture Jinger or Jeremy on "Dancing With The Stars"  or Jessa on "Worse Cooks:  Celebrity Edition".  

Can you imagine if Jinger was on it- Jeremy in the audience diving in to grab her and dip and kiss her like all the Duggar idiots do when the women are bridesmaids?

• Haha 5

On 4/6/2020 at 1:59 AM, Idlewild said:

I seem to recall reading a long time ago there is a difference between the licenses they have and commercial licenses so it's a hobby.  But I don't recall the specifics so this post is quiet unhelpful.

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic