IGNORED

Bates 28: Defected Products Courtesy of the SOTDRT

HerNameIsBuffy

Screenshot_20200829-212156_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0809d40208092df9e17567d4db1cfe85.jpg

The side-eye game the horse is giving them in this photo is really something. I think he is more than done being a prop for this family 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Anyone following Kelly Jo's "recipe" stories? They're truly gross, just different variations of mixing shredded chicken, cream of crap soup, additional dairy, 1 or 2 other canned items, and some form of processed starch.

Chicken pot pie: shredded chicken mixed with cream soup, canned veggies or canned potato in a pie crust 

Chicken enchiladas: shredded chicken mixed with cream soup inside of tortillas

Chicken croquettes: shredded chicken mixed with cream soup and seasoned stuffing mix

No wonder we see the daughters struggle to cook a basic meal after they leave the house.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

I must confess that, a few years ago, Kelly’s chicken noodle soup recipe inspired me to try it with canned chicken breast... and I’ve made it that way ever since. Two reasons:

1. I am vegetarian and choose to handle meat as little as possible. Like, the fourth Thursday in November, when I perform gynecological services on a turkey 

2. The family ended up liking it better than the traditional method. Even after they found out it was canned chicken.

There’s another dish I make pretty often, called The Enchanted Broccoli Forrest, which everyone loves but Mr. Jumper insists it needs some chicken to round it out. So, I crack open a can and prepare a separate pan with shredded chicken mixed into it (cheekily referred to as The Enchanted Poultry Graveyard). 

Edited by Denim Jumper
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 15

6 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

There’s another dish I make pretty often, called The Enchanted Broccoli Forrest, which everyone loves but Mr. Jumper insists it needs some chicken to round it out. So, I crack open a can and prepare a separate pan with shredded chicken mixed into it (cheekily referred to as The Enchanted Poultry Graveyard). 

...We're gonna need some more information on this enchanted forest. I would love a new way to eat a favored vegetable!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

15 hours ago, neurogirl said:

...We're gonna need some more information on this enchanted forest. I would love a new way to eat a favored vegetable!

I have long since bastardized the original recipe (found in a cookbook with the same name), but my version is this:

2 cups dry brown rice

2 cubes Knorr vegetable boullion 

1/4 cup diced onion

2 cloves garlic

1 tsp dried Italian seasoning (sometimes I swap this for Greek inspired mix of oregano, mint, and dried lemon peel)

salt and pepper, to taste

1 pound broccoli florets 

1 cup shredded cheese (something that melts nicely, like Monterey Jack or mild cheddar)

(optional) 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or slivered almonds 

Cook the rice (ahead of time, if possible) according to package instructions, with the boullion. Cool until room temperature. 

Steam  the broccoli until it’s slightly under cooked, then cut off enough of the stalks until there is about 1.5 inches of stalk left. 

Sauté garlic, onion, and nuts, then stir into cooled rice. Stir in seasonings and cheese. 

Dump the rice mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Insert broccoli florets into the rice, just enough stalk exposed so it looks like trees, but not so much that they fall over. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, until the cheese melts and the broccoli is properly cooked.

It’s going to look like mess when plated, so I put the baking dish on the table for display before serving, so they get the full Forrest effect.

Really, it’s a highly adaptive recipe. Use whichever herbs you want (dried or fresh); swap out different nuts or seeds, different cheese; throw in some cooked shredded, ground or cubed meat, if you want. Try different flavor profiles (cilantro-lime-cumin-cheddar, or maybe Swiss cheese and diced ham). It’s  make-ahead or freezer-friendly. 

Edited by Denim Jumper
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 5

Do we know who runs the show account on IG? Because they for sure don't proofread. 

I read the adaptation 3 times trying to get what they were saying, at the start I thought it was my fault since English is not my first language, I may have just haven't understood a joke or so but after the third time it was clear it wasn't my fault 

Screenshot_20200906-200616_Instagram.thumb.jpg.7f2014e018842fb631cf0512d9514b63.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 1

On 8/6/2020 at 11:30 PM, candygirl200413 said:

Jackson (I think?) wants to join the marine corps? But I also just started the episode. 

Kelly will do whatever it takes to see that he's married off before that can happen. Fake boot camp at ALERT is fine and dandy, but no way will she let one of her "babies" join the real military. Can you just imagine the things he might be exposed to there!? ?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

17 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

Kelly will do whatever it takes to see that he's married off before that can happen. Fake boot camp at ALERT is fine and dandy, but no way will she let one of her "babies" join the real military. Can you just imagine the things he might be exposed to there!? ?

All Kelly has to do is not give him a high school diploma. It's required to join the Marines. He would also have to take the ASVAB, and I dunno if Kelly's SOTDRT is good enough to get him a sufficient score on that.  (Kelly actually did decently well at teaching the older kids, but no idea how the schooling has been for Jackson's cohort.)

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

20 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

All Kelly has to do is not give him a high school diploma. It's required to join the Marines. He would also have to take the ASVAB, and I dunno if Kelly's SOTDRT is good enough to get him a sufficient score on that.  (Kelly actually did decently well at teaching the older kids, but no idea how the schooling has been for Jackson's cohort.)

He could get a GED and join though, right? I think if he’s really determined to do it, he can make it happen. I hope he doesn’t let her squash his dreams like others have. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On 9/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, princessmahina said:

He could get a GED and join though, right? I think if he’s really determined to do it, he can make it happen. I hope he doesn’t let her squash his dreams like others have. 

Joining the military could be the best thing to happen to a Duggar or Bates boy. Get them away from their parents, away from the family compound, and throw them into a mix of superdiverse colleagues. Make them get their asses out of bed in the morning--and then make that bed! : )

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

To be honest, there are a ton of Christian fundies in the Marines. I even asked a why most fundies are drawn to that branch of military. Wish him the best of luck because he could set a very good example for his younger relatives.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 9/3/2020 at 2:25 AM, freethemall said:

Anyone following Kelly Jo's "recipe" stories? They're truly gross, just different variations of mixing shredded chicken, cream of crap soup, additional dairy, 1 or 2 other canned items, and some form of processed starch.

No wonder we see the daughters struggle to cook a basic meal after they leave the house.

what you see in IG is "haute cuisine" for Kelly and it shows a huge improvement for her. In the old blog she cheerfully confessed that she didn't know how to cook and her mom didn't either. The family recipes were awful. Alyssa was the cook from a very young age, but the poor kid had learned from Kelly. In videos it could be watched how they had for diner a piece of white bread with ketchup and canned cheese on top (like a spray cheese), or burned pasta.

I edit to add that they served very small portions of the nasty food... Just like Jill Rodrigues. Bates may be better/healthier looking, but were as poor as Rodrigues and had the same nutricional problems.

Edited by Melissa1977
Add information
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I edit to add that they served very small portions of the nasty food... Just like Jill Rodrigues. Bates may be better/healthier looking, but were as poor as Rodrigues and had the same nutricional problems.

It is easy to forget how much like Jill Kelly was. The food Kelly thought blog worthy was awful, so their daily meals were probably worse. One "recipe" was to take a scoop of mashed potatoes, put fried bologna on top a and then top with sliced cheese. The meals they showed were sometimes canned food poured over a slice of white bread. Kelly made the Duggars look like they could cook.  

Alyssa now tends to feed her children very processed, packaged food and I wonder if it is because that is all Kelly ever taught her to cook. After spending her childhood being forced to cook awful meals for a large number of people it is no wonder she doesn't show any interest in cooking. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

what you see in IG is "haute cuisine" for Kelly and it shows a huge improvement for her. In the old blog she cheerfully confessed that she didn't know how to cook and her mom didn't either. The family recipes were awful. Alyssa was the cook from a very young age, but the poor kid had learned from Kelly. In videos it could be watched how they had for diner a piece of white bread with ketchup and canned cheese on top (like a spray cheese), or burned pasta.

Yes, I've seen those incredible blog recipes. These really aren't that much of an upgrade and keep to the same trends of can + carb. It explains why the kids dont know how to cook though some teach themselves.  I remember the BUB episode of Erin teaching Tori to make chicken caprese with gasp! fresh tomatoes and raw chicken. Meanwhile Alyssa who was the family cook kept the processed diet.

• Upvote 6

On 9/15/2020 at 8:06 AM, Tangy Bee said:

To be honest, there are a ton of Christian fundies in the Marines. I even asked a why most fundies are drawn to that branch of military. Wish him the best of luck because he could set a very good example for his younger relatives.

There were quite a few back in my Air Force days as well. I was in a fairly small career field and worked with several ultra conservative men that were quiverfull though I didn't know the term then. When I was pregnant with my oldest my supervisor's wife was expecting number 13.  I don't know that they were fundie exactly, but they went to a small conservative church in another service member's home, home schooled their children and as far as I saw the wife and daughters only wore dresses. A lot of the people I worked with in the military were fairly conservative. I mostly assumed it was because many were from rural areas in the south. There were plenty of us heathens too though. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Alyssa now tends to feed her children very processed, packaged food and I wonder if it is because that is all Kelly ever taught her to cook. After spending her childhood being forced to cook awful meals for a large number of people it is no wonder she doesn't show any interest in cooking.

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

Alyssa who was the family cook kept the processed diet

Before marrying, she had a pinterest board full of healthy and really easy recipes. She fed baby Allie veggies and fruit. Alyssa knows about nutrition, has money and cutting fruits or steaming veggies is not time consuming. But Alyssa loooves junk food and she will be eating that until she (or the girls) starts putting weight.

• Upvote 11

12 hours ago, freethemall said:

Yes, I've seen those incredible blog recipes. These really aren't that much of an upgrade and keep to the same trends of can + carb. It explains why the kids dont know how to cook though some teach themselves.  I remember the BUB episode of Erin teaching Tori to make chicken caprese with gasp! fresh tomatoes and raw chicken. Meanwhile Alyssa who was the family cook kept the processed diet.

I think a few things are in play when it comes to the Bates diet. From my family and their friends who grew up around the Bates and attended the same church back in the day, Michaela and Alyssa learned many of their cooking skills from some of the little old ladies at church potlucks. According to one cousin of mine, Kelly Jo was notoriously bad at cooking and was the one they assigned tasks like bringing the paper plates or chips. 

Another thing to note is the cheapness of the family then compared to now. Gil would apparently complain quite a bit about spending habits. It became the norm that the boys (Lawson especially) would be assigned to shop and the girls had to cook whatever it was that he brought home. Processed foods tend to be the ones sold in bulk and cheaper than fresh food. Since that was what Kelly Jo has said she grew up with, it is not unheard of that she would not change up the family diet. 

Alyssa and Michaela were both complimented quite a bit on their cooking by family members. It makes sense in a way that they wouldn't change their cooking ingredients or style as much. They had already checked that box off of what makes a good fundy wife. Brandon introduced some things to Michaela, but I don't see that John did the same with Alyssa. Not to mention John and Alyssa started with kids right away. They are renting the house they live in from his family, but they are still essentially a one income family. I would bet that Alyssa still shops for groceries like a Bates (just not the same quantity). She also seems to like getting fast food. Michaela cooked very southern grandmother kind of things (plus cheap things). She's now more in line with Brandon's taste and preference. I'm sure they had a conversation that chicken didn't always have to be fried. 

Another example would be Tori, who claims she cannot cook. However, after Michaela moved out there were more than a few talking heads saying that Tori took over cooking "not because she liked it but because she saw a need." On her honeymoon, Bobby bought steaks and fresh green beans. She commented then that she didn't know what to do with fresh green beans that weren't from a can or frozen. 

Erin apparently never had the cooking assignments and they joked she was bad at it. When she married she clearly got the freedom to watch HGTV and FoodNetwork. She started early on popping out with names like Bobby Flay and decorating like Joanna Gaines (sortof), indicating that she was watching shows to learn. While she does use fresh ingredients, you can still see the trepidation in her that she sticks very strictly to the recipe. We don't see her experimenting very much. Will she stay with fresh foods as she continues to have kids? I kind of doubt it. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 5

9 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Before marrying, she had a pinterest board full of healthy and really easy recipes. She fed baby Allie veggies and fruit. Alyssa knows about nutrition, has money and cutting fruits or steaming veggies is not time consuming. But Alyssa loooves junk food and she will be eating that until she (or the girls) starts putting weight.

You forgot: she's lazy.

And I feel bad saying that because I hate mom shaming and I cant imagine the pressure of having 3-4 kids, but she signed up to being a mom, housewife, and homeschool teacher as her main jobs. She has demonstrated repeatedly that she is not enthusiastic about these jobs beyond decorating, dressing the girls up in cute and matching outfits, having as much alone time with John as possible, and teaching Allie to be a sister mom. If she put in as much time to cook healthy food as making herself beautiful then I'd understand the junk food now and then, because moderation is key.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Lawson was shopping because at the time - he was the one making money and gil/kelly were borrowing money from him to keep the family afloat.  

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Lawson was shopping because at the time - he was the one making money and gil/kelly were borrowing money from him to keep the family afloat.  

I think it was staged dor the show. Lawson had no idea what to buy or how to budget. He bought lots of small packages instead of a few big ones. It bet he had never done that job before, despite being the financial provider of the family. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think it was staged dor the show. Lawson had no idea what to buy or how to budget. He bought lots of small packages instead of a few big ones. It bet he had never done that job before, despite being the financial provider of the family. 

That wasn't for the show. It was shown on the Nightline programs. He was shown at Walmart with reporter Juju Chang. Much of the reason behind this was they (producers at Nightline) wanted to shoot him shopping for food and the exchange between them when she bought an "appropriate" outfit for swimming. You can't do that at a regular grocery store. It made sense to send him to Walmart to do both and only have to get permission from one place to film versus scheduling, lighting, and shooting at two different locations for the same basic story. 

My cousin who was a cashier for the past 30 years at a grocery store that is in Rocky Top (the one shown a few times when the Bates were featured on 19KAC) said that after he turned 16 Lawson and sometimes with Trace or Nathan would do much of the shopping (once a week at least). They vocally said to her and other employees that their father didn't trust their mother or sisters with money. According to her, Michaela or Alyssa might come along sometimes, but usually it was one or two of the boys. Her exact words to me were, "if the mother was there we knew it was a special occasion and if the father was there we knew there were cameras." 

I have been to that store on a few occasions when I was visiting Anderson County. I do recall seeing him and making a comment to another cousin I was shopping with that he was buying a lot for a teenage boy. I didn't know who he or the family was at the time. I just remember he had a cart in front of him and one behind him. 

Apparently, that was his (Lawson) big assigned chore of the week where the other boys got jobs that were more physical such as cleaning out a building, chopping wood, etc. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 20

On 9/17/2020 at 1:58 AM, Melissa1977 said:

But Alyssa loooves junk food and she will be eating that until she (or the girls) starts putting weight.

Alsyssa would be one who would fit right in with Gwen and Remnant Fellowship because it is all about superficial things like looks and staying skinny while eating junk food. 

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

other employees that their father didn't trust their mother or sisters with money.

That is sad. Gil always comes off as some sort of goofy, harmless guy, but this right here shows he is just as much of a controlling asshole patriarch as some of these other fundie men. Can you imagine being married for years but your husband won't let you even grocery shop because he thinks a teen boy is more trustworthy? What sort of a relationship do he and Kelly really have? It sounds like less of a partnership and more of one where he tears her down and controls her. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

. They vocally said to her and other employees that their father didn't trust their mother or sisters with money.

Thanks for the information. It shows how dumb Gil was. Lawson had no idea about buying food for a big family (in the video I watched, he bought lots of little packages instead of a big one). It's normal, because he was just a kid. But if Gil thought they were saving money that way, he was wrong. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Alsyssa would be one who would fit right in with Gwen and Remnant Fellowship because it is all about superficial things like looks and staying skinny while eating junk food

Maybe Remnant is too freaky for Alyssa, but I wouldn't be surprised if her orders at Mcdonald's are a kid size hambuger with a diet coke. But I can be wrong... she's very young, and sometimes young people can eat lots of junk food while keeping thin.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Alsyssa would be one who would fit right in with Gwen and Remnant Fellowship because it is all about superficial things like looks and staying skinny while eating junk food. 

That is sad. Gil always comes off as some sort of goofy, harmless guy, but this right here shows he is just as much of a controlling asshole patriarch as some of these other fundie men. Can you imagine being married for years but your husband won't let you even grocery shop because he thinks a teen boy is more trustworthy? What sort of a relationship do he and Kelly really have? It sounds like less of a partnership and more of one where he tears her down and controls her. 

That is sad. Maybe the lack of food at the table was because Gil's being cheap, not because they hadn't enough money. He was the men trying to reuse toilet paper from the floor! I wonder if Kelly wanted to buy better food for the kids or bigger portions. Patriarchy sucks, but a patriarch not even feeding his brood is unbearable!

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic