IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 21: This Thread Can Drink Now

choralcrusader8613

5 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I recently became aware of a baby named Riot.  The parents are um....alternative.  You just know those 2 tools named their kid Riot for shock/cool factor.  I'm not a fan.

I feel like their kid will either grow up to be a total handfull, or will be uber square in ironic rebellion against those parents.

I'd like the name Maryella better if they'd spelled it with an i or made it two names. The y in the middle doesn't read properly.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

I had a Mariella in my preschool class last year... Actually,we also had an Ella. 

And Penelope is hugely popular in my area right now. One of my kids this year has a 1yr old baby Penny (as he calls her), and another one has a Penelope who is about 2 months old, and a friend has one who is also about 2 months old.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LucilleJ said:

I don't get the problem with the pronunciation of Persephone it seems pretty strait forward "Perse" like Percent then "Phone" (and it doesn't sound to close to Penelope) wereas I have problem with Kre8ive spelling -> Maryella in this case because for me Y in the middle is mostly pronounced AYE (Tyler, Bryan...) so it should be Mar-aye-ella and it's really hard to say and obviously not what was intended

It's pronounced Per-SEPH-uh-nee, so it semi-rhymes with Penelope.

I probably wouldn't go that route for a kid's name myself, but it's not weird or obscure enough for me to raise an eyebrow if someone else does. Plus it's the obvious party jam from one of my favorite albums!

(Kidding; we all know "Cantara" is the one that gets people on the dance floor.)

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

I know someone naming their baby Leightyn. I'm not sure why it pisses me off so much but I really really hate that name - mostly the spelling. Obviously I won't say anything to the parents, but it makes me wince when ever I hear it. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

Has Anna had her baby?

Yes, Maryella Hope, born on the 27th. That's why there's all the puzzlement about the spelling of the name.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I know someone naming their baby Leightyn. I'm not sure why it pisses me off so much but I really really hate that name - mostly the spelling. Obviously I won't say anything to the parents, but it makes me wince when ever I hear it. 

Im not a fan of the name much either but if that is the name you choose at least use Leighton or Layton as the spelling the yn annoys me in those names. It's almost as a annoying as people changing names that are most commonly start with a C to starting with a K. Chloe with a C is lovely name but Khloe or Kloie puts me off the name. I went to college with a Kallum and he hated it and was planning on changing it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Im not a fan of the name much either but if that is the name you choose at least use Leighton or Layton as the spelling the yn annoys me in those names. It's almost as a annoying as people changing names that are most commonly start with a C to starting with a K. Chloe with a C is lovely name but Khloe or Kloie puts me off the name. I went to college with a Kallum and he hated it and was planning on changing it. 

The 'yn' bugs me but not as much as the 'iegh'. Something about that "iegh" trend just bothers me. The K where it's usually a C pisses me off too. 

• Upvote 2

Had lunch with a friend today. An acquaintance of hers had a baby girl named Averly. The parents like Avery and Everly that they combined them. 

• Rufus Bless 3

On 11/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, Alice in Fundieland said:

I think they’ll call her Ellie, since they call Mackynzie “Kynzie” and Meredith “Dithy.”

Compared to Jordyn Grace Makiya, I think Maryella Hope flows right off the tongue. It’s not a name I would have chosen, but I don’t think it’s horrible.

Overall, they pick good names for their kids. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think we as American's have a hard time being told what to do. I remember throwing a fit about having to get my daughter vaccinated for 2 things before she could start her senior year, because NO SHOTS NO SCHOOL. I was all they can't tell me what to do, them I'm like wait, she really needs those vaccines WTF am I complaining about? 

That is why mandatory anything in this country always has people in an uproar, even when it is a good idea and best for everyone concerned. 

I think you nailed it. I remember years ago reading a discussion online about wearing seatbelts and helmets. There were people insisting it was a personal choice and nobody could tell them what to do. I was like: sure Darwin. You go on with your bad self and refuse to wear a helmet just because you can. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, adidas said:

I think you nailed it. I remember years ago reading a discussion online about wearing seatbelts and helmets. There were people insisting it was a personal choice and nobody could tell them what to do. I was like: sure Darwin. You go on with your bad self and refuse to wear a helmet just because you can. 

Many years ago, my husband and I were talking to someone about the car seat we'd chosen.  We'd done as much research as we could on a really good one and were comparing using one to when we were growing up and car seats weren't required.  Suddenly this young kid, maybe 17 or 18 joined the conversation.  He was astounded that car seats were required by law.  My husband informed him that not only were they required, but we wouldn't be allowed to take our baby from the hospital until the staff had checked it out and made sure if was correctly installed.

So this young kid went off on a rant about how it was HIS business if his kid had a car seat or not, and no one else had a say in it.  My husband and the other guy didn't reply, but just exchanged looks.  I didn't get the hint and I spoke up.  I told him about how car seats were safer and years of research had proved that babies who were in car accidents were more likely to survive if they were in a proper car seat.  We were pleased because we'd found one at a price we could afford that had all the certifications, could be used frontwards and backwards, was rated for birth to 22 lbs, and also had various reclining features to make it easier for the baby to sleep on long trips.

He actually said "It's MY kid and if I want him in a car seat I'll buy him one.  But no one can tell me I have to get one.  If that kid dies, it's MY business, not yours or anyone else's."  I asked him if the baby's mother got any say in it, and he said he wouldn't have kids with a woman who didn't agree with him, he was a man and on and on and on.  

My husband told me later that this kid was known to rant and rage about stuff, and it all seemed to be related to him wanting to be seen as a grown man who knew his mind and stood up for what he believed.  He wanted to be seen as a "man's man" who had women lining up to be with him.  He felt he knew best in every way, and couldn't take being challenged on any level.  He was constantly trying to impress people with his proclamations.  Ignoring him was the worst thing you could do to him.

Today we'd call him an insecure poser.  I truly hope he grew some more brain cells once his teenaged testosterone eased off and life kicked him in the butt a few times.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Many years ago, my husband and I were talking to someone about the car seat we'd chosen.  We'd done as much research as we could on a really good one and were comparing using one to when we were growing up and car seats weren't required.  Suddenly this young kid, maybe 17 or 18 joined the conversation.  He was astounded that car seats were required by law.  My husband informed him that not only were they required, but we wouldn't be allowed to take our baby from the hospital until the staff had checked it out and made sure if was correctly installed.

So this young kid went off on a rant about how it was HIS business if his kid had a car seat or not, and no one else had a say in it.  My husband and the other guy didn't reply, but just exchanged looks.  I didn't get the hint and I spoke up.  I told him about how car seats were safer and years of research had proved that babies who were in car accidents were more likely to survive if they were in a proper car seat.  We were pleased because we'd found one at a price we could afford that had all the certifications, could be used frontwards and backwards, was rated for birth to 22 lbs, and also had various reclining features to make it easier for the baby to sleep on long trips.

He actually said "It's MY kid and if I want him in a car seat I'll buy him one.  But no one can tell me I have to get one.  If that kid dies, it's MY business, not yours or anyone else's."  I asked him if the baby's mother got any say in it, and he said he wouldn't have kids with a woman who didn't agree with him, he was a man and on and on and on.  

My husband told me later that this kid was known to rant and rage about stuff, and it all seemed to be related to him wanting to be seen as a grown man who knew his mind and stood up for what he believed.  He wanted to be seen as a "man's man" who had women lining up to be with him.  He felt he knew best in every way, and couldn't take being challenged on any level.  He was constantly trying to impress people with his proclamations.  Ignoring him was the worst thing you could do to him.

Today we'd call him an insecure poser.  I truly hope he grew some more brain cells once his teenaged testosterone eased off and life kicked him in the butt a few times.

My husband was laughing about my 17 year old nephew’s cockiness on thanksgiving. It’s the prime age for strutting around showing what a real man they are. I told my husband my nephew will be knocked down a few pegs when he goes to college. Either they get knocked down a few pegs in college or right out of college when they have to get a full time job and finally act like a grown up. 

• Upvote 12

On 11/29/2019 at 10:08 AM, mango_fandango said:

I’ll never understand people giving their kids weird names. I’m mainly thinking of the Sweet Home Sextuplets family, where their kids are called Saylor (the most normal), Wales and Bridge (twins), and the sextuplets themselves: Blu, Layke and Tag (boys), Rivers, Rayne and Rawlings (girls). 

For my area, I'd say that no one would blink twice at a Rawlings, Rayne, or a River. Tag, Lake, and Blu might get some snickers but it's not unheard of. Bridge would just be asked it was short for Bridge. Saylor would be the most unusual, but some trashy local person did have a kid called "Sailor" so it's just another spelling. I've never met a Wales, but people in my area love to name dogs and children after local places/areas/geological formations, and we do have an island called "Prince of Wales" so it's likely been used by now. 

31 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Saylor would be the most unusual, but some trashy local person did have a kid called "Sailor" so it's just another spelling.

Haha, that's a good way of describing her!

On 11/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, Gobbles said:

Is the German version Mirella? Because I know someone named like that. More of an old fashioned name I think.

I think someone called Mirella might be named after Mireille Mathieu, a french singer who was very popular in the 60s and 70s and still is with the older audience. I think it’s also the shortened version of Mirabelle in Italy, Spain and France and maybe Switzerland. 

On 11/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Her oldest is named Penelope actually.  And the issue her mom has with Persephone, is she will be called "Purse a phone" not "Per Sephonie" it will be a life of spelling her name and having to explain her name, and why would you do that to a kid? 

I don’t think telling someone how to pronounce your name properly is a problem. It only gets a problem when people act stupid about it and don’t pronounce it correctly afterwards (sometimes it needs some practice). Maybe the child doesn’t even mind the different pronunciation. And honestly, if you have been to Starbucks more than once you know they people can misspell every name. Even something like Tom. 

But I agree it’s not necessarily a nice story to tell when you get asked about the origin.

I have a colleague from Brazil and I didn’t know I was mispronouncing her name. I just found out because there is a second colleague now and she says it differently. I asked my colleague about it and she said it doesn’t matter for her. I try now but I sometimes forget.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I think someone called Mirella might be named after Mireille Mathieu, a french singer who was very popular in the 60s and 70s and still is with the older audience. I think it’s also the shortened version of Mirabelle in Italy, Spain and France and maybe Switzerland

In Catalonia Mireia (a version of Maria) is a very popular name. In other parts of Spain, it is used but not so much. Mirella and Mirabelle or Mirabella does not exist as names here.

• Upvote 4

@SorenaJ I think others have mentioned it, but America is too diverse for naming laws, and has had a long history of cultural imperialism against minorities.

For example, which of these are acceptable American names: Sincere, John, Layla, Semaj, Saniyah, Anna, Michelle, or  Marquise? Because five those names are very popular with African American students in my area (I know more Semajs than Johns. Semaj and Sincere are ridiculously popular) but is it the mostly white US govt's place to say that Marquise is not acceptable for a black child? A lot of white people would say, Marquise and Saniyah are not acceptable names, even though they do have their own stories and histories behind them.

What about the names Lafayette and Washington? They seem weird now, but throughout most of American history it was considered a proud tradition to name children after Revolutionary war heros and presidents (there were even twins, George and Martha, born in 1775 or 1776--which I feel like was a huge gamble on their parents' part, but whatever). That trend might actually come back, since right now Lincoln and Kennedy are becoming popular. 

I know a little girl named Freedom. Weird choice, but virtue names are a Pilgrim tradtion. Plus, she's African American. The name "Freedom" might holds significance to her parents/heritage that a judge should not take away from her. 

From what I know about a lot of European naming laws, they are very traditional when it comes to gender. Right now, it's trendy to have unisex or gender bender names. And I say, why should a judge decide that Tristan is a boys' name and Alexis is a girls' name? Since gender norms are being challenged right now, I suspect that restrictions like that might be seen as horribly old fashioned in the near future.

So I agree with the others who say that those laws wouldn't work in America. There are a lot of things to shit on America for, naming freedom is not one of them. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 7

Just now, BernRul said:

So I agree with the others who say that those laws wouldn't work in America. There are a lot of things to shit on America for, naming freedom is not one of them. 

Yes, and a lot of those naming laws have a religious foundation and that makes me really uncomfortable too.

Also-- Aaf, Aryan, Jesus, Nimrod, Tugba, Ufuk, and Yahya are normal, inoffensive names in certain religions and ethnic groups. The subjective concept of "offensive" or "weird" is deeply rooted in culture, language, and religion, and even socioeconomic status. I really don't know how a very multicultural, religiously diverse country could even enforce naming laws. 

People can always change their names as adults (which I think the U.S. should continue to make possible and accessible). 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

On 11/29/2019 at 10:08 AM, lumpentheologie said:

I guess I don't think it's really that uncommon to know Persephone is the queen of the underworld in Greek myth?  Or at least to recognize it as Greek, so pronounced like Penelope?  Sure, some people won't know that, but anyone who has an "ethnic" name gets used to spelling it, it's not the end of the world. 

I really like Persephone too. This name was brought up on another thread recently and the same argument against it was made but I really don’t see what the big deal is.  It’s a pretty name from a famous Greek myth. Like you said, people will probably mispronounce it but I have a very common, boring name and people still misspell it. No big deal. 

As for Maryella, pretty sounding name, awful spelling. 

• Upvote 7

On 11/29/2019 at 1:01 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Her oldest is named Penelope actually.  And the issue her mom has with Persephone, is she will be called "Purse a phone" not "Per Sephonie" it will be a life of spelling her name and having to explain her name, and why would you do that to a kid? 

I agree with others that I think a lot of people will have heard of the goddess and know the pronunciation, but even if they don't it isn't a hard name to say so being corrected once should hopefully do the trick. 

I think that people not being able to get the pronunciation correct is even less likely in a family which already has a Penelope. Knowing it's o-pee at the end and not ope, should make it easier to grasp that it's not pronounced phone as one syllable in Persephone. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, BernRul said:

For example, which of these are acceptable American names: Sincere, John, Layla, Semaj, Saniyah, Anna, Michelle, or  Marquise? 

All of these are acceptable American names. Naming laws should not punish minorities. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I see they have relaunched themselves on Facebook- it seems to be Anna posting but it’s a joint account. I wonder if Josh will dare resume posting?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, BernRul said:

For example, which of these are acceptable American names: Sincere, John, Layla, Semaj, Saniyah, Anna, Michelle, or  Marquise? Because five those names are very popular with African American students in my area (I know more Semajs than Johns. Semaj and Sincere are ridiculously popular) but is it the mostly white US govt's place to say that Marquise is not acceptable for a black child? A lot of white people would say, Marquise and Saniyah are not acceptable names, even though they do have their own stories and histories behind them.

[...]

From what I know about a lot of European naming laws, they are very traditional when it comes to gender. Right now, it's trendy to have unisex or gender bender names. And I say, why should a judge decide that Tristan is a boys' name and Alexis is a girls' name? Since gender norms are being challenged right now, I suspect that restrictions like that might be seen as horribly old fashioned in the near future.

Marquise is a name that always irk me because it's french for the wife of a Marquis so naming a baby boys that way is weird (as would be naming a baby boy Reine - Queen, Contesse - Countess...). It's the same for naming a girl Beau as it's a masculine noun, the feminine is Belle, or naming a baby Elle when it's meaning She, that seems disdainful. OK so I think my point is don't use WORDS from other language if you don't know the meaning.

Alexis might be a girl's name in the US but elsewhere it's boy's name so yeah a judge shouldn't decide on name when there is not oblivious maline intention behind it (I think of that poor child being named Adolf Hitler and his sister Aryan...)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

All of these are acceptable American names. Naming laws should not punish minorities. 

My point is, they likely will punish minorities, at least poor ones, and poor whites as well. Because if I posted some of those names in another context, a lot of people would probably say "wtf were those parents thinking naming their baby Freedom or Sincere?" Or would an American naming law make an exception for minorities, yet penalize white people for naming choices? Why is Aniyah or Aiyanna acceptable for a black child but not a white one, for example. Those are both names that have crossed racial lines recently. Naming laws might prevent that, which I for one see as problematic. 

I've yet to see proposed naming laws that didn't have racial or classist undertones. If those names are ok for American infants, than what restrictions would you propose we adopt? Because I've seen some European laws that are quite restrictive, and I still cannot see how that would work in America without being at least partially racist and classist. 

Also one thing I love about American names is seeing them grow and evolve, taking into account this nation that is both historically immigrant and wild west free for all. I like both things, personally. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic