IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 21: This Thread Can Drink Now

choralcrusader8613

39 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

When Grandma Mary was born, Mary would have been the most popular female name, period. It wouldn’t have been unusual for a Protestant fundamentalist or a secular girl (or anything in between) to be named Mary. I do find it unusual that other names that were popular with the Baby Boom generation, like Linda, Patricia, or Carol haven’t come back. I’m still hoping that really old fashioned names like Prudence, Mildred, and Agatha will come back, although none of them are very hipster-ish.

It's too early for baby boomer names to make a comeback because the real-life associations are too strong. When young parents think of Linda or Carol they think of their middle aged manager or friend's aunt or coworker at the office. Names like Ada or Ella or Lillian seem charming because they don't encounter them every day and don't have those associations. And this is not to disparage names like Linda or Carol at all - Ada and Ella were once the middle aged office ladies, and in a decade or two it will be Jessica and Ashley, and a couple decades later, Isabella and Sophia.

Edited by singsingsing
  • Upvote 25
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

It's too early for baby boomer names to make a comeback because the real-life associations are too strong. When young parents think of Linda or Carol they think of their middle aged manager or friend's aunt or coworker at the office. Names like Ada or Ella or Lillian seem charming because they don't encounter them every day and don't have those associations. And this is not to disparage names like Linda or Carol at all - Ada and Ella were once the middle aged office ladies, and in a decade or two it will be Jessica and Ashley, and a couple decades later, Isabella and Sophia.

I was just saying to my dad that if these naming trends hold, in the next 20 years or so we will see the 60s names like Lisa, Donna, Deborah/Debra, Patricia and Susan make a comeback.  I was going to add Karen to the list but it now has the negative "speak to your manager" connotation.  

As an aside, my cousin's millennial daughter and her husband were telling me about one of their millennial couple friends who recently had a baby girl and named her Jennifer.  I asked if it was for a family member, since it's a name you don't hear as often anymore.  Nope, the mom always loved the name.   

• Upvote 4

I think it's lovely that they honoured Grandma Mary, but... what an ugly name. When I first read it on Facebook, I thought it was a new disease. It sounds like a mix between varicella and rubella. Yikes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 6

There was a girl called Ella in my year at school, but she was the only one. Another girl my age had a younger sister called Ella, maybe 2 years younger I think? 

• Upvote 2

I hate the name.  Mary Ella, Mary Hope, or Ella Hope all would have been fine, but Maryella is just awful.  I'm not a fan of mashing two names together into one. Mariella even would have been better, although still pretty bad. The y in the middle just reminds me of horrible spellings like 'happyness'. 

Why do we have such strong feelings about what other people name their children?  It doesn't make a lot of sense, but names just elicit such a strong reaction. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

[...]Mariella even would have been better, although still pretty bad. [...]

May I ask why Mariella would still have been "pretty bad"? It's a legit Italian name*, the affectionate form of Mary (Maria). I get that people don't like a name, but it is not some made-up name like Heistheway. The y-spelling is obviously due to Grandma Mary's passing and honoring her. 

*@laPapessaGiovanna correct me on that if I'm wrong, please. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

May I ask why Mariella would still have been "pretty bad"? It's a legit Italian name*, the affectionate form of Mary (Maria). I get that people don't like a name, but it is not some made-up name like Heistheway. The y-spelling is obviously due to Grandma Mary's passing and honoring her. 

*@laPapessaGiovanna correct me on that if I'm wrong, please. 

I can confirm. Mariella is an old fashioned Italian name, pretty old fashioned but also very normal. I don't know if they wanted an Italian name though. Maybe the "correct" spelling in English would have been Mary-Ella, but honestly I can't see much difference. I mean, after Spurgeon, any other name sounds so much more normal.

• Upvote 23
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

May I ask why Mariella would still have been "pretty bad"? It's a legit Italian name*, the affectionate form of Mary (Maria).

I don't think it would be bad on an Italian person, or person of Italian descent, or even someone who wanted an Italian name. I'd never heard it before, though, and I doubt the Duggars have either, so as an Anglo made-up combination of Mary and Ella, I think it's pretty bad.  

I don't know if that makes sense, but for me tradition and context matter a lot in determining what I think of a name.  There are a lot of names that I'd think were bad if your average white American used them, but are fine or even nice in a different cultural context. 

For example, Jesus (pronounced hey-zeus) is a common Hispanic name, and but if an Anglo white couple named their kid Jesus it would be a terrible name.  

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

Calling her Ella would be a bit weird. Then we have (Annabell,) Bella and Ella.

Mariella/Marielle is a super 70s/80s name here so I think it is a weird name for a baby.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

They're gonna call her Ella, though.

I'm willing to bet on this :D

• Upvote 2

Mariella is not just used in Italy. And it’s not pronounced as two names ( as the writing Mary-Ella would suggest) as far as I recall. 

• Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I don't think it's weird, but I guess it depends on what you're used to.  On just one side of my cousins, I have two Michaels, two Johns, and if I'd been a boy I would've been the second Matthew. Cousins having names that kind of resemble each other wouldn't even cross my radar as something potentially strange. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Just now, lumpentheologie said:

I don't think it's weird, but I guess it depends on what you're used to.  On just one side of my cousins, I have two Michaels, two Johns, and if I'd been a boy I would've been the second Matthew. Cousins having names that kind of resemble each other wouldn't even cross my radar as something potentially strange. 

I would not necessarily think it is weird as well, but when the babies are born 2 weeks apart it is a different story.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if they'll pronounce it Mary-Ella or Mar-yella? Or call her Ella? I'm not a fan of the name. But I do like the way its spelled mostly because Mackynize's no longer the only one with an unique spelling of her name. 

• Upvote 1

Some names like Hortense are just ugly and need to stay in the past where they belong.  Poor little Maryella, in addition to having a low-life sex pest for a father, can look forward to a lifetime of her name being misspelled as most people will assume it is Mary Ella, or that Ella is her middle name.

I don't know why these fundies think that a name is the place to express some level of non-conformity and individuality when their lives, especially those of the females, will be narrow and constricted. In any event, FJ is kind of obsessed with baby names, and I'm meh about the whole thing. Call your baby whatever you want, you are still condemning it to life inside of a cult. Maybe one day Anna will obtain an identity that is based on more than just breeding. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

The announcement only states the baby’s doing fine (or something along these lines) but doesn’t mention Anna at all. Also, there’s no photo of her holding her littlest addition yet. Am I imagining things or does this seem weird? As much as I dislike Anna for raising her children in the cult, I hope she’s doing alright. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

There was a girl called Ella in my year at school, but she was the only one. Another girl my age had a younger sister called Ella, maybe 2 years younger I think? 

I like the name Ella. I think it's really pretty. I do think it's strange that they named her Maryella mostly because they already have a Meredith and "Mary" is a very common nickname for Meredith. (I know they don't use that nickname for her, they call her "Dithy" (WTF)) I get that they wanted to honor Grandma Mary but I feel like they already did that with Meredith. I'll never understand these people. I feel so bad for those kids. 

• Upvote 3

“Hope” as in, “we sure hope Daddy’s not about to be arrested”?

DFO Facebook is linking to some random website’s news article instead of US Weekly. Did US get a lot of negative comments?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

55 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

Also, there’s no photo of her holding her littlest addition yet. Am I imagining things or dies this seem weird? As much as I dislike Anna for raising her children in the cult, I hope she’s doing alright. 

The US article states that it was a quick, uncomplicated delivery. Let’s not jump on the speculation bus too quickly. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

25 minutes ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

At least it's not Spurgeonella.

And all this time I thought the female form was Spurgeonette? Mindblown. 

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

Confession- I love the sound of the name together, but not the look. Why not first name Mary and second name Ella and call her Ella? Or Mariella? 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

I

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Confession- I love the sound of the name together, but not the look. Why not first name Mary and second name Ella and call her Ella? Or Mariella? 

Logic? You're asking for logic from the wife of the sex pest? She has one Meredith. And two other baby girls were Annabel and Bella.

She pulls out MaryElla. We really should have guessed it.

I'm in the "sounds pretty but completely too similar to existing names camp."

Furthermore - I don't know if they discuss these things.. But, maybe as next oldest son w/ 1st girl - Abbie and JD wanted a little Mary Pilot Inspektor Duggar..

Edited by AliceInFundyland
A
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Not surprised they went off Mary with the name. Though I wish they'd not been so direct hodge-podge about it - maybe Marianne (or of course my forever pick for them, Mariah) or at least spelled it Mariel(l)a.....and of course, Hope, yet another typical feminine virtue name. I wonder what we'll see female GrandDuggs get for middle-name once they run out of recycling mom's middle name or virtue names. So far Benessa have been the only original ones, using oh-so-original "Jane".

I think Marietta is a very pretty name, just my opinion though. 

Still disappointed with Siren for going with Bella; I think “Blessing” was far more appropriate!

Edited by Angelface
Omission.
  • Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic