IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 21: This Thread Can Drink Now

choralcrusader8613

I know I'm in the minority but I see nothing wrong with the name and think it's kind of pretty. Maybe because I know a child named Marielle so Maryella doesn't strike me as that out to lunch. 

I don't love the spelling (I think Mariella would look nicer) but that's me being BEC more than anything. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

So I also prefer Mariella or Mary-Ella, but I do like that they ended up using Grandma Mary's name after all. And it sounds pretty regardless of the spelling. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I know a lot of Hispanic girls named Mariela. I always thought it was pretty. They pronounce it "Mar--ee--ella." There's plenty of nickname potential with Mari, El, or Ella. 

I like it. It's a creative way to honor Grandma Mary. I will say this for Anna: she doesn't typically go with the most trendy name choices, or what's expected (Mackenzie and Mason may be exceptions, but they're not too popular either). 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I once taught a Mayela, pronounced My-Ella. I always thought it was pretty.

Maryella is a little harder to roll off the tongue, but I don’t hate it. I’m more concerned about who her father is!

• Upvote 1

I think they’ll call her Ellie, since they call Mackynzie “Kynzie” and Meredith “Dithy.”

Compared to Jordyn Grace Makiya, I think Maryella Hope flows right off the tongue. It’s not a name I would have chosen, but I don’t think it’s horrible.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

I think the spelling is terrible. It looks like it could be pronounced Mar-Yella. 

But these are people who call Meredith "Dithy" so I can't say I'm too surprised. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

I'm curious to see how they pronounce it. I've heard Mariella pronounced mah-ree-EH-lah, and it seems nice to me. I'm not a big fan if it's pronounced exactly like you would expect Mary Ella to be pronounced, but it's not my kid. I agree that they will call her Ella.

As for Ella being too similar to Bella, I don't think I'd change a name I liked at the last minute just because an in law named her kid something similar.  I wouldn't name my second child Ella if I already had a Bella, but for cousins I don't see this being as much of a problem. In any case, if they keep reproducing at this rate Josie will not have a decent name left by the time she starts naming kids.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

Okay, I'm confused. What do they call Meredith? They said they call her Merry sometimes but also Dithy sometimes? Does she have two nicknames? (Nothing wrong with that, I just spent the whole pregnancy thinking "what's wrong with a Mary and Meredith in the same family if Meredith is Dithy?")

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

I know a lot of Hispanic girls named Mariela. I always thought it was pretty. They pronounce it "Mar--ee--ella." There's plenty of nickname potential with Mari, El, or Ella. 

I like it. It's a creative way to honor Grandma Mary. I will say this for Anna: she doesn't typically go with the most trendy name choices, or what's expected (Mackenzie and Mason may be exceptions, but they're not too popular either). 

Same here, and then there's also Mariel like Mariel Hemingway.  The Maryella spelling is Younique but frankly IMO not as bad as Mykenzie and they probably are pronouncing it like Mary Ella rather than Mahree ella  (I didn't watch their video).

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, meee said:

Okay, I'm confused. What do they call Meredith? They said they call her Merry sometimes but also Dithy sometimes? Does she have two nicknames? (Nothing wrong with that, I just spent the whole pregnancy thinking "what's wrong with a Mary and Meredith in the same family if Meredith is Dithy?")

Some the children in the family that couldn't say her name called her dithy but she mainly gets called Meredith or Merri. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

So, this is how they got around inserting Mary withouth it sounding like Meredith.

If it weren't for Grandma Mary, I wouldn't have liked the rather imaginative spelling Maryella, instead of Mariella.

Mackynzie also has an alternatively spelled name with a y, so there's a theme.

Maryella. Not a big fan, but I have a work associate named Mariel, so I don't hate it either. And I knew someone whose parents Ralph and Ella decided that naming her "Ralphella" was just peachy, so there's definitely worse out there. (Not Raphaela, mind you, which would've been a perfectly reasonable and sensible middle ground. RALPH-ella. Fail.)

That spelling, tho. Gives me an earworm every time I see it: "Maryella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

The US article states that it was a quick, uncomplicated delivery. Let’s not jump on the speculation bus too quickly. 

Anna just put up a Thanksgiving instagram post with all eight of them in it around a table holding the thanksgiving chain she mentioned in a news article. She's holding a sleeping Maryella over the table. She looks somewhat tired and worn down (perfectly understandable!) but fine otherwise. So I'm going to go with nothing went wrong with the birth.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Some the children in the family that couldn't say her name called her dithy but she mainly gets called Meredith or Merri. 

Yeah when she was a baby the adults would say “Merry” but when she got older her peers came up with “Dithy” instead. Which is dumb, but is it better or worse than “Trenge”?

Maryella sure looks a bit weird especially to my Finnish eyes, but in the end it doesn't irk me. I think it's a sweet name with a lot of meaning. Had the name been just Mary? That would've made me go ehh. And it's much better than some abominations I've seen. Y'all (especially Murricans) sure can twist names in a weird way.

• Haha 11

15 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Maryella sure looks a bit weird especially to my Finnish eyes, but in the end it doesn't irk me. I think it's a sweet name with a lot of meaning. Had the name been just Mary? That would've made me go ehh. And it's much better than some abominations I've seen. Y'all (especially Murricans) sure can twist names in a weird way.

Being one of the ‘Murricans of which you speak, I completely agree. I understand why Germany (and other countries iirc) have naming rules in place!

• Upvote 6

It could all be worse, my friend's daughter is going to name her baby girl Persephone, mostly because her mother hates it, and she's mad at her mom because her mom won't pay off the mortgage on her trailer.  I wish I were making that up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 5
  • Haha 12

7 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Being one of the ‘Murricans of which you speak, I completely agree. I understand why Germany (and other countries iirc) have naming rules in place!

Here's a list what the naming board of Finland denied in the past year or so, most for babies (explanations and some personal feelings added):

• Quorthon (dafuq is this)
  • Marihuana (WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING)
  • BenAbraham (Ben-Abraham or Ben Abraham would've been accepted)
  • Al-kasim (likely been tried to give to someone with no cultural connection to the name's origin)
  • Toro
  • Avicii
  • Perusinssi (likely means perus inssi = basic driving test)
  • J.A. (no dots in names)
  • Shtaim (??????)
  • Bennington (likely no cultural connection to the name's origin)
  • Kapteeni (Captain)
  • Axx (I could see this pass in the US)
  • Salaisuus (Secret)
  • Franzeen
  • Noppa (Dice)
  • Bandida (not in good taste)
  • Mustavaris (Black crow)
  • Kele (means nothing, might've been combined with Per - Per Kele -> PERKELE! that's my friend group's theory lol)
  • McHenry (no surnames as first names)
  • Mandell
  • Aschemann (likely a surname again?)
  • Ceres (for a baby boy)
  • Andromeda (for a baby boy - it's ok for girls iirc)
  • Heárrá
  • Aqu (Likely a form of Aku... but you know, putting a Q there is more cool... I could see this pass in the US)
  • Hommahopo (I don't even, homma means a job/duty/similar words, hopo is like... idk man I think it means dumb?)
  • Lucifer (I feel like this is on the list every year)
  • Rufio Of The (I can't even)
  • Superwaltzer
  • Krampus (nice try)
  • Hoito Virhe (Hoito as a first name, Virhe as a surname - Hoitovirhe means MEDICAL MALPRACTICE)
  • Aurinkoinen (Sunny, it just does not work in Finnish at all)
  • Jalofina (this name is just not in good taste - when said out loud it's too close to jaloviina, a brand of booze)
  • SesenRa (what)
  • TittiAnneli (Titti-Anneli or Titti Anneli would've been allowed. Also, Titti is a freaking weird and very rare name)
  • Sukka (SOCK. SOMEONE TRIED TO NAME THEIR KID A FUCKING SOCK.)
  • And a name that had 8 first names in it. Nope. Current naming laws only allow 4 first names, pre 2019 law allowed 3.
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 22
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 5

I recently became aware of a baby named Riot.  The parents are um....alternative.  You just know those 2 tools named their kid Riot for shock/cool factor.  I'm not a fan.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

There’s a Dr. Marijuana Pepsi Johnson Vandyke who has become somewhat famous of an example of how you can have a terrible name and still flourish:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana_Pepsi_Vandyck

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d0b8e7be4b0859fc3da80e7?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi5tLndpa2lwZWRpYS5vcmcv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAcMcjD-l6OEtR-ykkTU8-f0xADPkgE7QlOB1BKkdoFAm7utAIw9VlVzunfGveg0M7idpMs1dOURYatDQirhOJflKQNNpMXpdkuwA7ozLViM3_evzNEMbK_guYLQBbvCgQuGd858Sw9bH5Bk4vMRS8xagu_x1ASByNOa0i5dBtS8

Her dissertation was about “black names” and how that can affect how white teachers perceive such students. She’s using her education to help students of color succeed in the public schools. If any Duggar could achieve a fraction of what Dr. Marijuana Pepsi Vandyke has, we could just close up this site and all go home.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic