Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
choralcrusader8613

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 21: This Thread Can Drink Now

Recommended Posts

theotherelise

I listen to a podcast called Sleep With Me to fall asleep. I set my iPhone timer for 20 minutes and set to stop playing when the timer goes off. Then I start an episode and put my phone under my pillow and turn the volume just to where I can hear the words.

I still wake up a bunch at night and sometimes have to run it again if my mind is racing, but it’s been a lifesaver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iamtheway
8 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Probably a dumb question but I honestly don't know the answer. How do you guys listen to audiobooks? I would love to do that. Is that something I can do on my phone or laptop? (apparently I'm 42 going on 97 lol) 

I think this conversation proves that there are no dumb questions on FJ. Just lots of helpful people. :romance-inlove:

And now, because you asked, you will have hours of fun and excitment! I still prefer real, printed books but listening to an audiobook can be so nice and cosy. I like having someone read to me. And it’s perfect in the car or while you’re doing something else.

I can’t really help with where you find audiobooks in the US I was just really happy to see how quick other people were to help. We have a family subscription to a service called Nextory that has both audiobooks and e-books. I love it! Have fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AliceInFundyland

@mollysmom

 

I too love the hp audiobooks. Jim Dale is just fabulous. I own them all. I listened to story cassettes when I wa little and i think that imprinted on my soul as soothing.

Typing audiobooks into a podcast app pulls up a lot of options. Lots of classics.

There's a levar burton podcast where he reads adult short stories! Anyone who loved Reading Rainbow will appreciate the joy of having him back to in your life.

 

 

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gobbles
8 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

You can buy audiobooks from Amazon and listen to them through the Audible app.

That is what I do. I got rid of Netflix and got myself Audible instead and I'm so happy with that decision! With Audible I would wait until they have their event type of things. I got a book for free and I think three or four months of the subscription. 

EDIT: Didn't notice that there are already some people explaining... 🙄

Edited by Gobbles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jinder Roles

I don’t think there’s a way to have naming laws without being classist or racist af. 

I personally know many people with “made up” names. Many are successful today. Yes, you can get occasional teasing, it was really fine for the most part. 

As for spelling, I have a super common Anglo-Saxon named that gets misspelled all of the time. Unique names aren’t the only ones that get mispronounced and misspelled. 

Its really only a big deal when people and society make it a big deal 

  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

I download ebooks from the library onto my kindle. That way I can prop the kindle and read while I'm trying to finish knitting a sweater for grand wolf for Christmas. Christmas music in the background, and I'm set. I do have to stop replying to these posts though.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mollysmom
43 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I do have to stop replying to these posts though.

Why is that?! (I appreciate everyone's responses to my question) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

@mollysmomI can't respond and knit at the same time, and I've got to get some things finished. 🎅🤶

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
On 12/6/2019 at 2:24 AM, AliceInFundyland said:

@mollysmom

 

I too love the hp audiobooks. Jim Dale is just fabulous. I own them all. I listened to story cassettes when I wa little and i think that imprinted on my soul as soothing.

Typing audiobooks into a podcast app pulls up a lot of options. Lots of classics.

There's a levar burton podcast where he reads adult short stories! Anyone who loved Reading Rainbow will appreciate the joy of having him back to in your life.

 

 

You mean this book?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AliceInFundyland

@onekidanddone

Oh that's awesome. I'm not at all surprised it exists. Of course it does.

Thank you. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
church_of_dog
On 12/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, Bad Wolf said:

I download ebooks from the library onto my kindle. That way I can prop the kindle and read while I'm trying to finish knitting a sweater for grand wolf for Christmas. Christmas music in the background, and I'm set. I do have to stop replying to these posts though.

I have finally gotten good enough at knitting that I can listen to audiobooks while I knit (okay, as long as it's a simple part of the knitting)!  :Yes:

I'm so happy!  This is what I've been striving for for a few years now (I'm a slow learner for this sort of thing). 

I'm nowhere near being able to knit while I WATCH something, but that's okay because I rarely watch movies or stream shows except Doctor Who while on the treadmill.

Now if only I could knit while on the treadmill...  while watching Doctor Who!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mango_fandango

I grew up with the Stephen Fry version of the HP audiobooks. I was kinda surprised when I found out that Jim Dale is English too!! But then I learned that he’s had a number of roles on Broadway. 
 

(Ok, I say “grew up”... I actually only listened to the first and fourth books on CD. Now I hear Stephen Fry’s voice when I read them. I did later get all seven books on Audible).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giraffe
7 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I grew up with the Stephen Fry version of the HP audiobooks. I was kinda surprised when I found out that Jim Dale is English too!! But then I learned that he’s had a number of roles on Broadway. 
 

(Ok, I say “grew up”... I actually only listened to the first and fourth books on CD. Now I hear Stephen Fry’s voice when I read them. I did later get all seven books on Audible).

I was so disappointed I couldn’t get Stephen Fry’s versions in the US! Jim Dale did a great job with them but I’d love to hear Stephen’s version!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RainbowSky
On 12/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, Cora Persephona said:

OK, fair point, not sure why I assumed this was a last minute thing. They might have decided on Maryella before Siren announced and even if they decided afterwards they might not even have put 2 and 2 together, who knows? In any case, I think we will keep seeing similar names in the future at the rate they are having kids, and if it's just cousins I don't see a problem.

Now if Siren keep having girls and name them Cella, Della and Ella I will snark on them. :D

 

Am I the only freak who thought either the few of them wanted to name their babies similarly since they were all to be born together, OR the others were an honoring for Annabell depending on when the names were decided?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
singsingsing

I think all the 'ells' were just a coincidence, personally. I mean, everyone's forgetting about Addison, who is not an -ell. And the -ell sound is super popular in girls' names, so it's not too surprising that three of them happened to use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Melissa1977
1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I think all the 'ells' were just a coincidence, personally. I mean, everyone's forgetting about Addison, who is not an -ell. And the -ell sound is super popular in girls' names, so it's not too surprising that three of them happened to use it. 

Maryella and Annabell does sound very different. But Annabell and Bella is almost the same. I wonder if they didn't share the names at the beginning of the pregnancies and by when they announced the names, both partners were too used to their picked name that none of them wanted to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nefernandes2019

Im not an english speaker so I have a question... How it's supposed to pronounce Maryellla's name? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuiverFullofBooks
1 minute ago, Nefernandes2019 said:

Im not an english speaker so I have a question... How it's supposed to pronounce Maryellla's name? 

I think it’s Mary-ell-ah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesquire

I read it first as MayElla, which makes me think of Mayella Ewell from To Kill a Mockingbird, and I was like 😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nikedagain?
On 12/5/2019 at 8:19 PM, mollysmom said:

No! Please don't be sorry! I appreciate your answer! I appreciate everyone's input. This is brand new to me & I'm excited about it! 

I am a terrible sleeper too. I listen to LibrIVox each night on low volume. Usually Jane Austen or even keeled books from my childhood. Works like a dream! (see what I did there?)

15 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Now if only I could knit while on the treadmill...  while watching Doctor Who!

I'm going to need video of this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
singsingsing
2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maryella and Annabell does sound very different. But Annabell and Bella is almost the same. I wonder if they didn't share the names at the beginning of the pregnancies and by when they announced the names, both partners were too used to their picked name that none of them wanted to change it.

Yeah, one ends with bell and one begins with bell, but I'm not getting why that must mean they collaborated on choosing baby names or why it would be necessary to avoid names with similar sounds, especially when they're common sounds. There are going to be so many grandchildren in this family that it would be totally practical to say, "Oh, she's naming her baby Bella, I guess we shouldn't go with Annabell." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grandma D
On 12/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I love this trick! I use it all the time. Only ever one audiobook though, Jurassic park

I turn on Grey gardens or the Beales  of Grey Gardens and put headphones on as low as I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tabitha2

When there are  25 or 30 grandchildren 10 years  from now no one in the Duggar family is going to have time to care or be bothered that Joseph has a Mathias and Jinger has a Matthew or there is a boy Aaron and girl Erin. The kids will be damn lucky if  can remember their names as Is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giraffe
19 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

When there are  25 or 30 grandchildren 10 years  from now no one in the Duggar family is going to have time to care or be bothered that Joseph has a Mathias and Jinger has a Matthew or there is a boy Aaron and girl Erin. The kids will be damn lucky if  can remember their names as Is.

I agree. For me similar names is only an issue when it’s in the immediate family (looking at you, M & JB). Otherwise, meh. 
 

I lean towards what @RainbowSky posited about at least a couple of them agreeing to similar names. I could see Annabell and Bella being the original names and Anna thinking Ella would be a great way of “twinning” with her two cousins, especially after Annabell’s stillbirth. 
 

Annabell won’t be growing up with her cousins but her memory will always be with the family and I could see them (Anna especially) doing something like that.

Edited by Giraffe
added words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants

Abbie could complete the trifecta by naming her baby Anna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.