IGNORED

Dillards 81: Volunteering for God

samurai_sarah

I wonder why the Dillards don’t have a TV. They seem to huddle around a lap top to watch films or church services. I know quite a few people who don’t watch real time TV but all have a TV screen to download the stuff they do watch. Maybe it’s the cost or just inverted snobbery that they are too good for TV.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I wonder why the Dillards don’t have a TV. They seem to huddle around a lap top to watch films or church services. I know quite a few people who don’t watch real time TV but all have a TV screen to download the stuff they do watch. Maybe it’s the cost or just inverted snobbery that they are too good for TV.

I'm one of them. I watch what I want on YouTube. I hear about shows on social media, and decide if that's something I want to watch or not. It's just what I do; regular TV is annoying for me, If you want to watch it that's your business, and I'm okay to watch stuff when I'm at someone else's place.

• Upvote 9

Jill’s post about baking Christmas cookies with the boys and some friends included this quote:

“It’s not that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but it’s your best friends who are your diamonds.” -Gina Barreca

It’s not a political quote, but I wonder if she knows that Gina Barreca is a raging liberal.

• Haha 12

30 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

I'm one of them. I watch what I want on YouTube. I hear about shows on social media, and decide if that's something I want to watch or not. It's just what I do; regular TV is annoying for me, If you want to watch it that's your business, and I'm okay to watch stuff when I'm at someone else's place.

Do you watch it on a laptop?  I totally get why people don’t watch network TV but a family watching films on a laptop just seems hard work when you can put it on a TV screen.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Do you watch it on a laptop?  I totally get why people don’t watch network TV but a family watching films on a laptop just seems hard work when you can put it on a TV screen.

For a lot of people it's no big deal, and they don't watch enough media as a family to prioritize buying a bigger screen when it's just as easy/cheaper to just pull up a chair. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, Idlewild said:

We do. There are only three of us and watching things as a family is a low/nonexistent priority to us- we would much rather our son be doing active things with us than passively watching things with us. We do rarely put something on and then we just set the laptop a reasonable distance away and enjoy.

At least for us it definitely reduced our screen time generally to not have a tv. The temptation to just turn it on for background noise or in boredom doesn't exist. I think this actually has been very beneficial to our lives.

This is just our preference though. We don't know anyone else in real life without a tv so I definitely know we are the oddballs.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

20 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jill’s post about baking Christmas cookies with the boys and some friends included this quote:

“It’s not that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but it’s your best friends who are your diamonds.” -Gina Barreca

It’s not a political quote, but I wonder if she knows that Gina Barreca is a raging liberal.

How does she even know a quote from a professor of feminist theory

• Upvote 6

I have a tv (and no cable) and while I have a cord to connect my laptop to my tv, I rarely do. I prefer watching my shows on my laptop in bed.

Was there a video of Jill driving or it is possible she was parked? Pretty disappointing if she did drive, I think I read a statistic that most fatal accidents are within 5 minutes or miles of home because drivers let down their guard.

• Upvote 8

We used to be tv free and when we had little kids it was no big deal to use a laptop. It helped minimize screen time for all of us and they didn’t really know any different so didn’t care. 

As they got older, we transitioned to tv, mostly because they thought it was weird as they became aware of peers and wanted to watch nfl games, so we needed at least broadcast tv.

It wasn’t that big of a deal really. My guess is tv/screen time is still pretty limited in their home and they don’t want to put $400+ to a new TV. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, artdecades said:

How does she even know a quote from a professor of feminist theory

Maybe, in a Christmas miracle, she discovered feminism and is transitioning into a raging liberal or hell, a slightly right of center conservative 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

I be

ieve Jill said she was doing something like driving just down the street or around the corner.

I'm not really trying stick up for Jill here, but how many of us older folks here (over 40) didn't ride in cars like this when we were this age? I get it is dumb as hell, and I would NEVER have allowed my kids to ride like this even for a block. But I know for a fact that I did when I was this age.  I have photos of myself in my fathers lap "helping" him drive.  Didn't we see JB with one of the lost girls, in his lap driving on his property? So much of Jill's stupidity was learned by her idiot parents. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 12

The car photo gave my heart a panic just looking at it.  

With TV, I don't have any need for that expense.  When we inevitably will have TV with kids old enough to ask for it, I'm sure we'll have Netflix or whatever might have replaced it at the time.  Cable doesn't seem necessary.  Sports are on the channels outside of cable, if it's about sports.  I'm flexible to changing my mind on this, but I don't currently see why I wouldn't use a computer and a big screen over the expense of cable.

• Upvote 2

@raspberrymint,  not me!  Maybe it's just because I never had the best eyesight and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older, but watching every fucking thing I wanted to watch on a laptop screen would be torture.  I also have a granddaughter who has low vision.  If she's going to watch anything, she needs a big TV.

And yeah, I have cable.  I watch a lot of TCM,  Ovation, DIY and other things like Bravo.  Our antenna TV reception is lousy as well so it's cable for us.  

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@raspberrymint,  not me!  Maybe it's just because I never had the best eyesight and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older, but watching every fucking thing I wanted to watch on a laptop screen would be torture.  I also have a granddaughter who has low vision.  If she's going to watch anything, she needs a big TV.

And yeah, I have cable.  I watch a lot of TCM,  Ovation, DIY and other things like Bravo.  Our antenna TV reception is lousy as well so it's cable for us.  

While I was in the hospital, I watched a ton of Netflix on my phone. It was not great but it was better then what was on actual TV! 

• Upvote 7

Derelict drops a nuke. If there wasn't study between him and JB, there will be once JB gets wind of this. Apologies, because I don't know how to spoiler tag this. ?

C36902B6-6728-4975-A89B-712B8DD040B5.jpeg.5928a13aa9825d2575b329c95c44ce0a.jpeg

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 11
  • Thank You 22

16 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Derelict drops a nuke. If there wasn't study between him and JB, there will be once JB gets wind of this. Apologies, because I don't know how to spoiler tag this. ?

C36902B6-6728-4975-A89B-712B8DD040B5.jpeg.5928a13aa9825d2575b329c95c44ce0a.jpeg

Wow. Those are kind of strong words yet still really vague.I wonder what the conditions were? 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

I wonder what he means by that. I honestly can't think of anything about the TLC filming that would have brought them to the brink of sanity and destroyed their lives, UNLESS their mission trip to Central America was forced on them by TLC (which it wasn't, unless Derick was lying the entire time). I can think of other life circumstances, such as Derick's surgery and Israel and Sam's births, that must have been incredibly stressful and difficult for them, but none of those things had anything to do with being filmed by TLC. 

• Upvote 10

20 minutes ago, Arkfundy said:

Conditions being under Jim Bob’s thumb. Getting away/standing up

to him/brink of sanity. 

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Derrick appears to have had agency in his life. Going from making your own decisions to doing what JB wants had to be soul crushing. 

• Upvote 12

Maybe his wife having to say that being molested by her brother was no big deal, and it happens in lots of families was the start. We don't know what that triggered in Jill, or how Derick coped with it. We may never know, and it could be a lot of things that just added up over time.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 4

46 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Maybe his wife having to say that being molested by her brother was no big deal, and it happens in lots of families was the start. We don't know what that triggered in Jill, or how Derick coped with it. We may never know, and it could be a lot of things that just added up over time.

But that damn interview wasn't done by TLC, that was fucking Fox News and Kelly

kelly.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic