IGNORED

Andrea Mills 2: Watching Tom Appear to Lose His Mind

Coconut Flan

I get flamed for this, but I think a lot of Andrea's love for her kids was as far as them being extensions of her that glorified her as a mother. I think it would have gotten ugly in a Lisa Pennington kind if they no longer wanted to do the role in life that Andrea had assigned them when they got older.  I've always very much viewed her as a baby collector with strong narcissistic tendencies.  I think Tom's very similar as far as the narcissism (hence the long, rambling, self-centred rants and thinking of his retirement vs raising his nine children with the money people donated for their immediate crisis).  The way they've dehumanized or minimized their kids' wants for years - them not wanting anything for Christmas, them having ordinary jobs, even their medical needs during pregnancy being secondary to Andrea's needs to sew boy vs girl clothes.

The home dentistry is absolutely insane.  With all the sugar those kids eat too...! I'm far from a sugarphobe but they must have so many little or not so little cavities in there, and all the calculus they must have.  Bad dental health is so bad for your health in general too.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I read on Judah’s channel that he didn’t want to go to school because he didn’t want to end up with a hundred thousand In debt. Pure parental brainwash. He has NO idea what a degree would cost. Just hogwash from them. So scary. It was sad that THAT (the false info) was the reason to not want to go. Says to me he’d love to go but his parents fed him lies instead of encouragement. With all that cash Tom could easily set several tens of thousands aside and announce to all kids “you want to build your life through education pursuing a passion or other career idea?!! Well kids, I will help everyone a little bit and you can work and save for the rest!”  Man. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I feel the need to mention one thing since I brought up Tom setting aside some of the money for retirement savings. In fairness, he might have been talking about the life insurance money, too. I am not sure and am not going to go back and find the video now, but wanted to say something so I wouldn't unintentionally be misleading.  (I am less snarky about using life insurance money for that than I would be using donations.)

You may continue to snark now. :)

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

8 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I feel the need to mention one thing since I brought up Tom setting aside some of the money for retirement savings. In fairness, he might have been talking about the life insurance money, too. I am not sure and am not going to go back and find the video now, but wanted to say something so I wouldn't unintentionally be misleading.  (I am less snarky about using life insurance money for that than I would be using donations.)

You may continue to snark now. :)

Tom definitely needs to set up an emergency fund for himself in case HE can't work for a time.  He is self-employed which means he has no sick leave, no vacation pay, no emergency family leave, no medical and dental benefits.  What are all those kids going to do if Tom gets sick, even for a week or two?

Hopefully he has the life insurance to put aside for emergencies.  And it is insane to expect your adult kids to support you in old age.  They will be struggling with trying to support their own kids mowing lawns and no educations.

• Upvote 9

19 minutes ago, Saywha? said:

I read on Judah’s channel that he didn’t want to go to school because he didn’t want to end up with a hundred thousand In debt. Pure parental brainwash. He has NO idea what a degree would cost. Just hogwash from them. So scary. It was sad that THAT (the false info) was the reason to not want to go. Says to me he’d love to go but his parents fed him lies instead of encouragement. With all that cash Tom could easily set several tens of thousands aside and announce to all kids “you want to build your life through education pursuing a passion or other career idea?!! Well kids, I will help everyone a little bit and you can work and save for the rest!”  Man. 

This fear of college debt nonsense annoys me as well.  There are a myriad of ways of getting a decent education, and it doesn't have to cost $100,000 (unless medical school is your goal).  It's as bad as all the faux medical advice from non-medical professionals.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

Given their family income relative to size, in-state college tuition may very well have been covered. In my own family, my income is low enough, and my son’s grades good enough, that it’s looking like he may not have to do loans at all.

Now granted, going to public high school (after homeschooling til then) has opened up the scholarships tied to gpa, he’s been able to find things that he’s passionate about, has learned how to make friends even being on the autism spectrum…basically opened up the world for him. It makes me ragey and deeply sad for those kids, comparing how they’ve been brainwashed.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

The idea of trying to force your children to believe what you believe is so repugnant to me. I personally don't like the Pledge of Allegiance (for multiple reasons) and I made sure the school knows our little kids don't say it. I kept getting responses that made it clear they think this is a family wide rule- it's not! take issue with it and want them to make their own decision about it once they are able to understand. I don't want anyone teaching my babies what to think, but how to think critically. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, jozina said:

get flamed for this, but I think a lot of Andrea's love for her kids was as far as them being extensions of her that glorified her as a mother. I think it would have gotten ugly in a Lisa Pennington kind if they no longer wanted to do the role in life that Andrea had assigned them when they got older.  I've always very much viewed her as a baby collector with strong narcissistic tendencies.

ITA. Andrea wasn't some sort of an amazing mom who wasn't anything like the other fundies. She was a child collector and in some ways is like Jill Rod. in that she decided what her children liked and didn't like. It seems like they did not have the option to disagree with her choices, just like Jill Rod. And if any of those kids rebelled, I do not see her taking it well at all. 

She may have had a soothing voice and some good homemaking ideas, but she was a pretty shit mother and not that different than Tom. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Okay, I decided to check out Rachel's videos and I just have to ask how she is able to talk without moving her top lip? I feel bad for snarking on something that I am sure she can't help but it just has me baffled.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Saywha? said:

She has videos thAt she is in? I’ve only ever seen her counter. 

Scroll down to the bottom of her video list. There are four or so videos that feature her - all from a year ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Scroll down to the bottom of her video list. There are four or so videos that feature her - all from a year ago.

1. Thank you! I missed those when I was creepin'

2. Three plus minutes rambling about her laundry 

Do I even want to know what that's about? 

23 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

The one where she buys junk for groceries or the one where she buys junk for groceries?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

1. Thank you! I missed those when I was creepin'

2. Three plus minutes rambling about her laundry 

Do I even want to know what that's about? 

In the not wanting to know what it is about, category, did you see the 3+ minute rambling about how she makes hamburger patties?  I totally get making useful videos to share on You Tube but I am pretty sure almost everyone has made a hamburger patty at some point in their life.  It wasn't like it was a special recipe, just 3+ minutes of her smashing hamburger meat into a patty mold/press. 

I must have real mad skillz since I make my own hamburger patties by hand without the use of the mold!  :)

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4

What bothers me about the Mills was they just seem so nice, but then they use faulty logic to promote their agenda. Andrea talked about education in several videos and how people should always consider “opposing sides” -so far so good. Then she suggests that the flat earth/spherical earth are two sides that should hear each other out and we should consider both because “so-called scientists “ don’t really know. 

They dispute FACTS people, and now have a huge audience that will copy them-from home birthing  to homeschooling and beyond.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 3

I hope only a small percent of viewers fall in. And the majority just watch for shock value/like a train wreck. Who knows. 

i always find their uneducated skepticism (ignorance) of science amusing when they'd load 18 cases of Mountain Dew Into that Walmart cart. It’s literally a cup of science. You are pouring tasty science down your throat. BUT SCIENCE IS BAD. 

so don’t trust an inoculation. But soda? Oh yeah, inject that into your body 24/7

Edited by Saywha?
  • Upvote 16
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Saywha? said:

I hope only a small percent of viewers fall in. And the majority just watch for shock value/like a train wreck. Who knows. 

i always find their uneducated skepticism (ignorance) of science amusing when they'd load 18 cases of Mountain Dew Into that Walmart cart. It’s literally a cup of science. You are pouring tasty science down your throat. BUT SCIENCE IS BAD. 

so don’t trust an inoculation. But soda? Oh yeah, inject that into your body 24/7

I used to think only a small percentage of viewers would fall in, but with 70,000 subs à la Rachel Day, who knows???

36 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

In the not wanting to know what it is about, category, did you see the 3+ minute rambling about how she makes hamburger patties?  I totally get making useful videos to share on You Tube but I am pretty sure almost everyone has made a hamburger patty at some point in their life.  It wasn't like it was a special recipe, just 3+ minutes of her smashing hamburger meat into a patty mold/press. 

I must have real mad skillz since I make my own hamburger patties by hand without the use of the mold!  :)

At least her videos aren’t about Sandy Hook being fake, herbs that cure cavities or how public schools are bad for not teaching the world is flat. Honestly, I hope she sticks to the  Kroger hauls and doesn’t branch out to birthing on her toilet.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

I still can’t believe the ignorance around sandy hook. I never saw that video. Thank god. 

I dont know guys I’m thinking Tom is going to wake up one day and break the mould. I’m thinking something like... like take the older kids to Europe or something. He said he’d love to see how other cultures live (Andrea didn’t express that same wish in the video I saw on it). I think’ he’s gonna surprise himself as he’s so sick of that life.

Maybe I’ve had too much cough syrup.  Or being hopeful he sees there’s a lot of life out there to show the kids. 

Edited by Saywha?
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

At least her videos aren’t about Sandy Hook being fake, herbs that cure cavities or how public schools are bad for not teaching the world is flat.

Yet.....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Saywha? said:

I dont know guys I’m thinking Tom is going to wake up one day and break the mould. I’m thinking something like... like take the older kids to Europe or something. He said he’d love to see how other cultures live (Andrea didn’t express that same wish in the video I saw on it). I think’ he’s gonna surprise himself as he’s so sick of that life.

Maybe I’ve had too much cough syrup.  Or being hopeful he sees there’s a lot of life out there to show the kids. 

One of the many problematic things about Andrea and Tom versus the kids is the opportunities A&T had that that kids may never get to experience.

Tom and Andrea had both explored the world a little bit when they were younger. Andrea spoke several times about her love for England having travelled there with her mother years and years ago. Tom has spoken about his seeing a fair bit of the US.

The kids? They have travelled to Cali to visit Tom's family, have been on some long journey mainly for religious conference weekends but not really seen much of the outside world for fun or culture.

I do get that as a large family it would be very difficult logistically and financially but they really have done a disserves to the kids. Sending one or two kids to visit family once a year or so would have been very doable. Sending some of the kids to camp would have been another very doable option.

It's sad that Andrea and Tom have done such a disservice to their children. Their only preparation for the world is within a tiny bubble of shopping, library, family and the occasional meeting other kids from either the town or religious weekends. Diversity is harder to grasp as an adult than a child (raised in a bigoted small town so this is from personal experience) I can't see how all 9 kids will stay in that town or community as adults.

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, FreeFundiesKids said:

sooo toms live on facebook

It's midnight where Tom lives. I wonder how many of his youtube/facebook people are (a) men (b) lonely singles/widows/divorcees (c) women who don't give a shit about their own partners/husbands and/or kids.

(typing this while having a movie night in with hubby while occasionally looking at phones with intermittent chatter - neither of us could do all that AND be watching hours long live streams of random desperate grieving friendly strangers ?)

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saywha? said:

The one where she buys junk for groceries or the one where she buys junk for groceries?

My favorite is when she says “this video is NOT sponsored” on a video with 70 views... thanks for the clarification....

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

Some of this is definitely giving me Sparkling Lauren vibes. I think there was even a thread names Sparkling Adventures Now with Child Neglect?? 

At least her kids ended up with (court ordered?) grief counselling. Hopefully Tom, like Lauren, will eventually realise that publicly documenting kids is not the best thing for them and drop off of YouTube. Might take a while though. 

• I Agree 3

13 hours ago, Jasmar said:

Given their family income relative to size, in-state college tuition may very well have been covered. In my own family, my income is low enough, and my son’s grades good enough, that it’s looking like he may not have to do loans at all.

Now granted, going to public high school (after homeschooling til then) has opened up the scholarships tied to gpa, he’s been able to find things that he’s passionate about, has learned how to make friends even being on the autism spectrum…basically opened up the world for him. 

This is extremely impressive. I tip my hat to you, and your very intelligent son.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic