IGNORED

Medic Corps, a Duggar-Bates Totally Legitimate Humanitarian Organization

bal maiden

23 minutes ago, patsymae said:

So on top of all the other bullshit, the Medic Corps people who are going into undeveloped countries, disaster areas and supposedly war zones (although I'm pretty sure they got spooked about that one) are ANTI-VAX?

Maybe it’s why Tannen is missing from the mug exchange Christmas party. She didn’t want to give chicken pox to pregnant women and their nursing babies they brought along. Which is smart. But being anti-vax is stupid.

• I Agree 3

Not only will we tell you all about Jesus while cosplaying medical personnel but we'll help you meet him faster.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 2

I'm going to speculate that all this civilian cosplay replaces actually joining the military.  99% of these yahoos don't go to college, so they'd be joining the enlisted ranks as privates (no status there for young patriarchs!) AND some vaccines are mandated for those who enlist, regardless of vaccination history.  This is a link to the Army Basic Training Shots web page: SHOTS

• Upvote 4

Tannen posted a pic with her baby and yep, she’s covered in chicken pox. I think she’s under a year old. This is why you get your kids vaccinated. Because babies can’t get vaccinated until they are a little older. So vaccinating your kids protects your babies before they can get vaccinated. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

The podcast This Podcast will Kill You did a two part episode on vaccines. The second part dealt with the anti-vax movement. I recently listened to both parts and nothing has made me as angry as I was in a very long time. I listened to it on my commutes to and from work and by the time I finished my jaw was hurting from clenching and grinding my teeth.  

I highly recommend giving it a listen. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Looks like Turkey is MediCorpse's next destination.

I don't see it on their Insta  or web pages, where do you see it?

Their proselytizing will go over so well there.  I found this article interesting: https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2022/april/turkey-christians-deportations-religious-freedom-apc.html 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I don't see it on their Insta  or web pages, where do you see it?

Their proselytizing will go over so well there.  I found this article interesting: https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2022/april/turkey-christians-deportations-religious-freedom-apc.html 

I don't know if Medicorpse is going over to Turkey but in light of the recent earthquake and the fact that its a primarily Muslim country I wouldn't be surprised.  They did go to Ukraine when the war started IIRC and the Bahamas after the hurricane.

• Upvote 1

They've deployed and

"...our team is going to assess the hardest hit areas, partner with other organizations and conduct necessary relief efforts..."

I'm cynical about these yahoos and what a bullshit statement of purpose, it's just so ******* "We're fundie special snowflakes". 

I truly hope that this isn't some exercise in narcissism and they can bring relief somehow and NOT just suck resources that should be going to first responders already on the ground and utterly desperate civilians.  And what's the "Medic" part of MediCorps, anyway?  Are they training as first responder EMTs?  Are they deploying nurses,  doctors, medical supplies?

They've been in Ukraine and now Turkey -- exposed now to war and natural disaster.  Are they maturing and learning anything?  Again, I hope there is some insight on human suffering and they don't stay at the level of cosplay and arrogant white American Jesus savior complex.  I really want to know what organizations they partner with. 

Just came across this post by the International Red Cross (IRC) on Islamic burial practices in the context of Covid, but it also can apply to disasters, other epidemics, armed conflicts, etc. COVID-19 and Islamic burial laws: safeguarding dignity of the dead  Reading this offers insight on how IRC has developed detailed, culturally sensitive policies and processes on how to deal with all aspects of the disasters that can happen to humans; pretty sure MedicCorps probably hasn't researched any of it and are clueless about cultural sensitivity.  IRC (for example, there are many other organizations) has 150 years of expertise but MedicCorps has to reinvent the wheel because special Jesus snowflakes?

I noticed that Humanitarian Forensics is a specific area of expertise and I'm going to veer off into, well, mass death and the grim aspects of dealing with it, so spoiler. 

Spoiler

It's very cold in Turkey right now, with freezing temps, sometimes dipping to zero.  I'm sure part of the death toll is from exposure.  Might the cold temps will help preserve bodies and delay burial until samples for DNA and photographs can be taken to help with identification?

One of the Sunday evening news shows (generically 20 Minutes) featured two brothers in Ukraine who were older - not eligible for military service.  Their city had been occupied by Russians and after they Russian left, they decided that their service to the country (and humanity) would be to collect bodies in their city (Ukrainian civilians and even Russian soldiers) and take them to a morgue so identifying materials could be collected (DNA, possibly photos, identity documents on the body) and they could be buried.  

A Texas State University professor founded a forensics program called  Operation Identification. Texas State University anthropology students and volunteers exhume and attempt to identify the remains of migrants who died on the US border and were buried without collecting any identifying information.  In a border graveyard, volunteers exhume migrants’ bodies and search for their families  "In the past decade, the Texas State students and volunteers have received or exhumed the remains of more than 450 unidentified migrants, mostly from Brooks County. They take the bodies to a lab at the university in San Marcos, where they collect a DNA sample and store the bodies. They also search missing person reports and try to match the descriptions to clothing or identifying features on the bodies."

This is profoundly compassionate and very, very difficult work -- done so suffering people can know what happened to a beloved relative and I have so much respect for it. 

I would hope that the Medic yahoos can develop some area of expertise based on deep compassion that actually helps their fellow humans.  When they showed up armed post-hurricane and kicked people out of air conditioning -- they demonstrated profound arrogance.   Hoping they will change this mind set but not counting on it. 

Compare MedicCorps to these folks: PORTLIGHT STRATEGIES HELPS DISABLED PEOPLE DISPLACED BY NATURAL DISASTERS

Edited by Destiny
Remove extra line breaks
  • Upvote 12

I don’t think that any of the Duggar/Bates crew would show up in Turkey except for maybe Nathan. But now that he has a baby at home, maybe not. It looks like their people in Ukraine are actual nurses/doctors. Medic Corps needs to update its website. The guy in Ukraine, Andreas Morales, is identified as the Chief Medical Officer on Instagram, but not on the website.

I wonder who has been 'deployed' to Turkey and what their actual function will be too.

Most of the single Duggar's are in Italy and Lawson was somewhere internationally (their words, no destination given yet) tropical with Tiffany for her birthday. Who's missing? That only leaves JD, Trace or Nathan right?

Austria and Germany are suspending their efforts in Turkey due to security reasons and they sent their best people.  Think the yahoo MediCorps will do any better?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Austria and Germany are suspending their efforts in Turkey due to security reasons and they sent their best people.  Think the yahoo MediCorps will do any better?

Curious, I have been avoiding news as I’m on holidays and want to be ignorant, but is it terrorism related. I loved turkey my heart breaks for them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I loved turkey my heart breaks for them. 

Turkey has several universities where all courses are taught in English, and many of those students end up doing graduate work in the US. 

When I worked helping graduate students at a Big State University, I usually had one or two students from Turkey who had attended one of these universities.  They were, without exception, remarkably lovely people (and uniformly intellectually brilliant).  When my last Turkish student graduated with her PhD and returned to Turkey, I felt a bit sad.  

• Upvote 4

Since Abbie (Burnett) Duggar’s sister Maggie (Burnett) Bacerra Nino has been pictured with the real housewives of medicorp, I’m guessing her husband is part of the group now. Her husband is originally from Columbia and is named David Andres Bacerra Nino. He posted on Facebook that he didn’t make it into med school. I’m guessing he’s still in the medical field and that’s why he’s part of medicorp. 

• Upvote 1

I will give them all a smidgen of credit for attempting to help in disasters, because many fundies and white evangelicals are more absorbed with culture war nothingness than giving a thought to humanitarian crises. And, for instance, I am doing pretty much nothing except feeling overwhelmed at all the awfulness. They are attempting something. However, it feels akin to short-term missions trips where it's more about the volunteer's experience than the actual help. So much more practical, humble, helpful, etc. to donate resources to on the ground people who actually live in the location or professional orgs who are fully trained to do this full time. 

I give them more credit for things like driving to a nearby tornado recovery effort and helping, where it's welcome, they know the culture, they can probably offer actual, welcome help than joining in on international efforts. That is commendable and I wish more super conservative Christians took action like this in welcome and helpful ways. I will believe it's actually helpful internationally  when people on the ground say, hey, thanks, that was so helpful. Otherwise, just donate your money and give your time to a local unglamourous project like helping build low income housing in your community.

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

So much more practical, humble, helpful, etc. to donate resources to on the ground people who actually live in the location or professional orgs who are fully trained to do this full time...

This, a bazillion times this! 

Or they could volunteer with existing organizations like Doctors Without Borders (just one example) who are already on the scene and highly skilled in the logistics of providing emergency care. 

I fear the death toll will be over 40,000.  So many killed in the quake, more injured will die and some will die of exposure in the frigid winter temps. 

From Feb. 11: Twitter's Internal Chaos Is Slowing Turkey Earthquake Relief Efforts, Volunteers Say

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

They've traveled to a primarily Muslim country with the main goal (and yes, this is their most important goal- anything else they do is secondary) of evangelizing to a VERY vulnerable population.

They disgust me.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

Yep, this is macabre rubber necking akin to Jill Rodrigues video taping the funeral for children that she didn’t know.

A bunch of uneducated good old boys from the US of A taking a disaster based vacation to a country they probably couldn’t locate on a map last month are worse than useless, they divert resources which should go elsewhere - to, you know, folks who actually can help & know what they’re doing. 
These jaunts are nothing but stunts designed to generate donations & feed their egos. They’ll go, look around, & in short order be back home, just like they’ve done in all their previous disaster zone vacations.

I’ve been to Turkey, it is a beautiful country with an amazing history and the people I met were warm and friendly, they don’t need these yahoos right now.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Syria is in equally bad shape and things are desperate for Syrians because aid can only come in at one border crossing -- in an area already devastated by war and filled with refugees.   I think Assad has finally opened up a few more border crossings, now that it's too late. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic