IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

10 hours ago, llucie said:

Actually Carlin was studying music at Crown before she transfered to Liberty, the same degree Erin has. Kelly said on last week live that both Erin (at first) and later Carlin were Callie piano teachers. But since they are married now and too busy they are looking for a new teacher. I hope they find one, since Callie seems to have a natural talent and it would be such a shame for her to drop piano lessons.

I hope she is able to do something with that talent, career wise, if she wants. It’s sad how much wasted potential fundies have. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I hope she is able to do something with that talent, career wise, if she wants. It’s sad how much wasted potential fundies have. 

Maybe her being the youngest girl will help. I’m hoping that in ten years, Gil and Kelly won’t give as big of a fuck about keeping their youngest kids in a fundie bubble. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

So...I half-watched (re: not looking a bunch of the time) tonight's episode, and (teacher mode on) I have to say, Callie seems like such a bright, articulate kid. I hope she doesn't lose her spark and spunk.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, pippi said:

Callie seems like such a bright, articulate kid. I hope she doesn't lose her spark and spunk.

For the most part, it seems the Bates kids do not lose their spark and spunk. Some are naturally low key (Michaela, Trace, Isaiah, Ellie, that I can think of) but the livelier ones have not had the spunk smacked out of them the way it happened in the Duggar house. And I'm using 'smacked' for all oppressive ways used, not actual slapping.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Anybody recognize the new unfamiliar woman on the Bates Sister’s page? I wonder if this is prepping us for an upcoming special friend announcement. It’s weird to make her match Kelly, if she’s not already pretty close to the family in some way but their posture doesn’t seem overly friendly like it may be if they had been close for a while either.

Spoiler

35DACBA1-106C-4D28-93E4-8687284426E4.thumb.jpeg.5667785063261074791a30354bb3d13f.jpeg

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

This is how I first knew that Chaney must be actually courting/dating one of the boys! Interesting. I will have to snoop on this young lady. I wonder if it could be Nathan . . . if so I question her judgment. . . 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

She looks like a girl they are friends with on Instagram named Caitlin Kaetzer. I’m not 100% positive it’s her. But it looks like her.

PS: she could just be a friend of one of the girls. I know they put Chaney on the website as a model but this girl may not be dating a Bates boy just because she’s modeling.

Disclaimer: it’s not Caitlyn although these two girls look like twins. Her name is Alana Ford. I guess all white fundies look alike. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7

Someone tagged a girl named Alana Ford. And this Alana seems to be with someone already. So she’s probably just a Bates friend. 

• Upvote 9

It'd be a good idea to have different body shapes and types wearing the clothes for marketing purposes. I'm very large-busted and have a long torso, so I'm very wary to buy things online unless I get measurements of the garment or see user-submitted photos or different models. And I think most people have something about their body that they have to consider specially when buying online.

The Bates women, especially those doing the boutique, mostly seem pretty average to short in their height. Chaney is pretty tall with a more athletic build, so that is helpful for their modeling needs. Having more than just Kelly on the larger sizes would probably be a good idea.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

It'd be a good idea to have different body shapes and types wearing the clothes for marketing purposes. I'm very large-busted and have a long torso, so I'm very wary to buy things online unless I get measurements of the garment or see user-submitted photos or different models. And I think most people have something about their body that they have to consider specially when buying online.

The Bates women, especially those doing the boutique, mostly seem pretty average to short in their height. Chaney is pretty tall with a more athletic build, so that is helpful for their modeling needs. Having more than just Kelly on the larger sizes would probably be a good idea.

THIS, a while ago they had pictures of some other girl (that i think its the nanny) and when asked about her they said it was because they wanted to model the dresses on a taller girl.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

Anybody recognize the new unfamiliar woman on the Bates Sister’s page? I wonder if this is prepping us for an upcoming special friend announcement. It’s weird to make her match Kelly, if she’s not already pretty close to the family in some way but their posture doesn’t seem overly friendly like it may be if they had been close for a while either.

Hide contents

35DACBA1-106C-4D28-93E4-8687284426E4.thumb.jpeg.5667785063261074791a30354bb3d13f.jpeg

You beat me too it. I was just coming over to ask the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobology said:

For the most part, it seems the Bates kids do not lose their spark and spunk. Some are naturally low key (Michaela, Trace, Isaiah, Ellie, that I can think of) but the livelier ones have not had the spunk smacked out of them the way it happened in the Duggar house. And I'm using 'smacked' for all oppressive ways used, not actual slapping.

They do tend to be sort of loud and vocal, but they do get the spark of independence taken out of them at some point in their teen years. They are forced to conform to the Bates daughters mold and anything else is not acceptable.  The daughters pick an approved career, find an approved man, get married pretty young and then start popping out babies. Honestly, their spunk of independence was just as "smacked" out of them as the Duggars Their loudness and lack of manners can make it look like they are bolder, but when you really look it is easy to see that they are all forced into a tiny box no matter what. 

I really hope Callie will be spared being put in the Bates Box For Girls. Hopefully Gil and Kelly will have ignored their kids enough that some finally rebel. These younger ones are raised with their lives on television and parents who tend to ignore them. They didn't get the full brainwashing the older ones got. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

They do tend to be sort of loud and vocal, but they do get the spark of independence taken out of them at some point in their teen years. They are forced to conform to the Bates daughters mold and anything else is not acceptable.  The daughters pick an approved career, find an approved man, get married pretty young and then start popping out babies. Honestly, their spunk of independence was just as "smacked" out of them as the Duggars Their loudness and lack of manners can make it look like they are bolder, but when you really look it is easy to see that they are all forced into a tiny box no matter what. 

I really hope Callie will be spared being put in the Bates Box For Girls. Hopefully Gil and Kelly will have ignored their kids enough that some finally rebel. These younger ones are raised with their lives on television and parents who tend to ignore them. They didn't get the full brainwashing the older ones got. 

Plus Zach even seems to resent how much the little boys get away with. I’m sure they were really hard on Zach since he was the oldest. I imagine they put a lot of pressure on him to be the best example for his 18 younger siblings. The little boys have none of that pressure. They don’t have the chore load of the oldest kids. They have a completely different childhood compared to the oldest ones.

• Upvote 12

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Plus Zach even seems to resent how much the little boys get away with. I’m sure they were really hard on Zach since he was the oldest. I imagine they put a lot of pressure on him to be the best example for his 18 younger siblings. The little boys have none of that pressure. They don’t have the chore load of the oldest kids. They have a completely different childhood compared to the oldest ones.

There is a distinct difference in the older group and how they reacted i say the TLC days versus the ones now that age. Michaela and Zach, especially, had a very yes, ma'am/sir thing about them. Where Alyssa and Michaela cooked and did not argue, Tori, Carlin, Josie, and even Katie did it with some attitude. 

a lot of Zach 's issue has been his concern of over the poverty his parents put the through. He and Michaela both surely remember Gil having a steady job, insurance, and a semi normal life. He remembers the old, broken cars and probably breaking down on the way to Big Sandy as the norm. He dealt with mom walking in with another baby and no more room. And no doubt he remembers having to learn the tree business early because that was the source of money for a while. While younger siblings got to continue their education, as the first born, Zach worked and learned new trades on the side. He is a good guitarist, but never got the Nashville opportunities of Lawson. 

Not that I see him being overly spendy,but I do see he likes to give Whitney and his kids things he didn't get. She thought a new couch would look better, they got it rac style. His parents always got old cars, he and Whitney drive nicer ones. This even predates the show a bit. 

I would love to think Callie would escape the spiral of young marriage, hair or music as a career to never follow, and endless babies. But Gil said it all when in his birthday message to Callie, he said she will make a good mother. That's all they expect of her. She only has three unmarried sisters left. Internal and external pressure will have her at Crown in eight years to get her MRS. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I really don’t understand how this skirt is more modest than pants.

50EFD283-CB2F-4C0C-A91E-D1C67D8FCAA3.jpeg

It’s 100% not. And it looks like it would be terribly uncomfortable to sit down in unless it’s made of a stretchy material. It looks extremely tight. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, Bobology said:

That's true. I guess what I really meant was that I sort of hoped is that she might be one to forge her own path a bit one day, in the world of hypothetical wishful thinking.

Honestly I'm probably projecting because something about the way she talks reminds me a little of myself at that age...I was super into school, wrote songs on piano, and trooped around outside having adventures...and eventually pursed a couple higher degrees that I'm now putting to use. Nothing groundbreaking, but I was the first in my family to get a Master's degree and it felt a bit uncharted at the time. ANYWAY. Getting off topic ?. I just hope that if she finds herself wanting to do something beyond Crown someday, the way Michela has, it will happen. Obviously she is just a little kid still who could develop any number of interests!

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

ETA: I think this is sort of what I meant. More personality appears to be acceptable, but I still feel like there are certain expectations by the teen years, and I think I share the hope in the last paragraph. 

Edited by pippi
saw another reply and didn't want to post twice in a row!
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, pippi said:

More personality appears to be acceptable,

And in reality, it could just be that the Duggars are just naturally not as loud and vocal. I think that sort of pushy, outgoing personality that the Bates tend to have can come off as making it seem they have more freedom as compared to a quieter group of people. 

The Bates seem really loud and like they could overwhelm people. I would pick the Duggars any day if I had to spend time with one of those families. 

I suspect the younger boys will get to do whatever but Callie will, if it hasn't already started, have the independence manipulated out of her so she will be ready to go to Crown College and then get married to a fundie man. Maybe, though, the time she has spent being pretty much ignored by her parents and then having a tv childhood will inspire her with true spunk and she will tell Gil and Kelly to screw it she is doing her own thing. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Just now, formergothardite said:

And in reality, it could just be that the Duggars are just naturally not as loud and vocal. I think that sort of pushy, outgoing personality that the Bates tend to have can come off as making it seem they have more freedom as compared to a quieter group of people. 

The Bates seem really loud and like they could overwhelm people. I would pick the Duggars any day if I had to spend time with one of those families. 

I suspect the younger boys will get to do whatever but Callie will, if it hasn't already started, have the independence manipulated out of her so she will be ready to go to Crown College and then get married to a fundie man. Maybe, though, the time she has spent being pretty much ignored by her parents and then having a tv childhood will inspire her with true spunk and she will tell Gil and Kelly to screw it she is doing her own thing. 

That's true! Plenty of people are naturally quieter, and can be even more-so when filmed. It just sometimes seems like the Bates are "allowed" to tease a little more without it being seen as rude, but I also haven't seen every episode of either family. I don't know what of that to attribute to natural differences between people/families and what of it to attribute to differences in "convictions," or something, I guess. 

I think I've unconsciously identified with Josie the few times I've seen the show because she seems like she wouldn't be overwhelming to spend time with, but doesn't come across as stiff (subject to opinion, obviously). Intolerant views disclaimer, of course, but if I was in an inexplicable scenario where I was required to get coffee with a Bates sibling....

I agree with the first sentence of your last paragraph being more likely...but I'll keep hoping for the latter outcome for Callie's sake! Can't imagine having one's whole childhood on tv...

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

*snip*

I find it highly unlikely that there's an entire family of quieter people when it numbers 19. I think the Duggars get it beat out of them on some level far more than the Bates do, although I do think the Bates could swing the other way in terms of !JOYFUL! oppression.

In the Bates, we can identify the quieter family members like Michaela, Nathan, and Josie. In the Duggars, who are truly the loud family members? Jim Bob, Michelle, Josh, and Josie; the parents and the two heavily favored children; that's it. To me that seems highly suspect.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, pippi said:

That's true! Plenty of people are naturally quieter, and can be even more-so when filmed. It just sometimes seems like the Bates are "allowed" to tease a little more without it being seen as rude, but I also haven't seen every episode of either family. I don't know what of that to attribute to natural differences between people/families and what of it to attribute to differences in "convictions," or something, I guess. 

I think I've unconsciously identified with Josie the few times I've seen the show because she seems like she wouldn't be overwhelming to spend time with, but doesn't come across as stiff (subject to opinion, obviously). Intolerant views disclaimer, of course, but if I was in an inexplicable scenario where I was required to get coffee with a Bates sibling....

I agree with the first sentence of your last paragraph being more likely...but I'll keep hoping for the latter outcome for Callie's sake! Can't imagine having one's whole childhood on tv...

The 'allowed' part is exactly correct. The Bates kids were allowed to tease more. and allowed to be obnoxious by their parents. Had Gil and Kelly decided they didn't want that they wouldn't have been allowed. They couldn't really do much different from other Gothard families and its part of what makes people think the Bates kids were different or 'better' then the Duggars. When actually they are pretty much the same except the kids are more loud, obnoxious and allowed to go to Crown. The Bates kids look like they have more choices and freedoms then they really do. Especially the girls. Sure they are allowed to go to college but only Crown and only approved jobs. They all marry, they all have children unless theirs fertility problems. They make it look 

2 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I find it highly unlikely that there's an entire family of quieter people when it numbers 19. I think the Duggars get it beat out of them on some level far more than the Bates do, although I do think the Bates could swing the other way in terms of !JOYFUL! oppression.

In the Bates, we can identify the quieter family members like Michaela, Nathan, and Josie. In the Duggars, who are truly the loud family members? Jim Bob, Michelle, Josh, and Josie; the parents and the two heavily favored children; that's it. To me that seems highly suspect.

Me too. Sure some are going to be a naturally quiet but not all of them. The Duggar kids had all that, along with curiosity beaten out of them. Only one out of them all them went to college and that was Joe. They all lack curiosity even in their adults. Sure a few might, but all of them? The show the Quiverful for what it actually is. Obedient children who had the personality, spirit and curiosity beaten out of them who grow up to be obedient adults marry, have kids, but don't do anything else. They are interchangeable. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, princessmahina said:

It’s 100% not. And it looks like it would be terribly uncomfortable to sit down in unless it’s made of a stretchy material. It looks extremely tight. 

It looks like a stretchy fabric to me. I had a similar skirt. Let me tell you something: it really really tends to enhance the bottom. Which may be sexy, but well, they are fundies...

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

It looks like a stretchy fabric to me. I had a similar skirt. Let me tell you something: it really really tends to enhance the bottom. Which may be sexy, but well, they are fundies...

Ah, a skirt for the Jill Rodrigues school of modesty. 

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

That’s what I was thinking. There is no picture of the back for a reason! Nike!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic